HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guy Carbonneau: Motivation through intimidation?

Old
10-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Guy Caballero

vCash: 500
Guy Carbonneau: Motivation through intimidation?

The radio boys are saying that Guy is succeeding because he keeps the players on their toes. If you're a forward and you start slipping, you lose ice time. For our two number-one goalies, you have a bad game, you're on the bench.

I think the last few games bear this theory out. Samsonov has definitely turned it up a notch, Abby has responded, and the team seems to be more motivated in general than they have in a while.

I think Guy is showing that he's the right guy for the job. He's a much different coach from Julien -- tough as nails and doesn't brook any crap. I think the Habs can do really well under him.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Garry Valk

What about Huet though? He played great last start, and he's been forgotten...

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

And he does The Locomotion after victories on Halloween's night.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
seen that little dance as well.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:35 PM
Hockeymom67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
The radio boys are saying that Guy is succeeding because he keeps the players on their toes. If you're a forward and you start slipping, you lose ice time. For our two number-one goalies, you have a bad game, you're on the bench.

I think the last few games bear this theory out. Samsonov has definitely turned it up a notch, Abby has responded, and the team seems to be more motivated in general than they have in a while.

I think Guy is showing that he's the right guy for the job. He's a much different coach from Julien -- tough as nails and doesn't brook any crap. I think the Habs can do really well under him.
Sounds and looks good in writing ...now let's give them a few more games

Hockeymom67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Sthabs

that and he s trying to get the most out of every players, a HUGE upgrade over Julien who was playing not to loose

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Evil Ted

Im not totally sold on him yet, we will see how the rest of the season goes, we have had a good start though.

He has to stand up for his players sometimes to the media and durring the game.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Preds

Quote:
Haha ! It was pretty funny. Let's hope that he will find another dance or move vs Huriccanes if Habs wins.

Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 09:11 AM
danbrave

I like what Carbo's doing, I think it would be dumb to let someone like Samsonov take their sweet time adjusting to his new team (he didn't need that much time in Edmonton, remember) and I think he wants to put the pressure on Kovalev to stop being so freakin inconsistent and wishy-washy.

BUT this type of coaching style usually leads to players "tuning out" their coach so who knows how much longer it will be effective for. That being said it's still better than not making the players accountable for themselves at all... it'll certainly lead to more 60-minute efforts like last night.

danbrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 09:33 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrave View Post
I like what Carbo's doing, I think it would be dumb to let someone like Samsonov take their sweet time adjusting to his new team (he didn't need that much time in Edmonton, remember) and I think he wants to put the pressure on Kovalev to stop being so freakin inconsistent and wishy-washy.

BUT this type of coaching style usually leads to players "tuning out" their coach so who knows how much longer it will be effective for. That being said it's still better than not making the players accountable for themselves at all... it'll certainly lead to more 60-minute efforts like last night.
Unless it's every player tuning him out, he'll be fine. Carbo has the support of the GM and if a player was tuning him out, they'd be gone likety-splat.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 09:56 AM
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Unless it's every player tuning him out, he'll be fine. Carbo has the support of the GM and if a player was tuning him out, they'd be gone likety-splat.
insert theo - ribeiro - dagenais joke here

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
I missed that, I had to put up the screen to start the music at work, anyone have it around?

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:58 AM
MassiveHabs

Send a message via AIM to MassiveHabs
IMO so far he has been showing he is the right man for the job, i realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly love what he/his coaching staff has been doin on the special teams...if u have good specials teams imo u will go places

MassiveHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 04:40 PM
baldrick

Quote:

I heard that while in Montreal Scotty Bowman's players hated him for similar reasons, of course they loved him after they had won the cup. I know, I know.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 05:16 PM
RC51

I like what he is doing, it's honest. right up front.

Last week it was the Samsonov thing remember.
Samsonov was called to Gainey's office, HE had sure changed his tune coming out of that office. We can sure figure out what was said NOW. SAMMY "I don't want the humiliation of the 4th line", "GAINEY "then are you going to shut up and play hard everynight?"
GAINEY "If your commited to this promise, I will start you on the 3rd and bump you back up when we move Kovy to center".

GAINEY " but remember this, start drifting and down you go, We are paying you well, so play well" "Start drifting again and you will answer to me for your promise"
"This little talk stays in Vegas, got it"

Last edited by RC51: 11-01-2006 at 05:21 PM.
RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:37 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
It wasnt the first time he did it after a win actually hehe

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:44 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrave View Post
I think that's a cop-out. Lindy Ruff is as blunt as they come, and he's been coaching the Sabres for a long, long time.

Bowman was certainly intimidating and very unpleasant with specific players, yet he was never tuned out.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:50 PM
mcphee

Quote:

I wouldn't use the same term, but I agree with you. I think he's straight forward with his players but doesn't mind pushing some buttons.

I think Carbo's playing experience helps in that he knows certain things about players. Some guys have bad games, because, it happens. He should recognize the difference between a bad effort or a bad game.

Every coach has influences, and Crabo's had some different ones. He's been around Gainey as a player and as one of Gainey's players when BG was GM. Hitchcock, no matter what you think of him, taught him a lot. Plus Carbo's a bright guy.

I have no idea whether Carbo will win here, or whether the team will do wel this year, but I honestly couldn't name a coach who would be better suited to this team right now.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
I like what he is doing, it's honest. right up front.

Last week it was the Samsonov thing remember.
Samsonov was called to Gainey's office, HE had sure changed his tune coming out of that office. We can sure figure out what was said NOW. SAMMY "I don't want the humiliation of the 4th line", "GAINEY "then are you going to shut up and play hard everynight?"
GAINEY "If your commited to this promise, I will start you on the 3rd and bump you back up when we move Kovy to center".

GAINEY " but remember this, start drifting and down you go, We are paying you well, so play well" "Start drifting again and you will answer to me for your promise"
"This little talk stays in Vegas, got it"
Let's not take this Carbo hard on too far. He's been a decent coach but let's not anoint him with God status. Samsonov had his best two games in Colorado and Buffalo yet gets benched for no reason and then gets put on the 4th line. Obviously he doesn't care too much for it and answers honestly minutes after practice. Carbonneau then puts him on the third line for half a period and quickly puts him back on the second line. If anything it showed to me that he panicked way too quickly (Sammy had 4 points in 7 games and was starting to get hot) and made a terrible decision in demoting Samsonov for absolutely no real reason. Don't give me that motivation crap, Samsonov has been working his butt off all year.

He's been fine but the media gives him credit for everything that goes right but no blame for the things that don't work out; like us coming up flat and playing like a junior team three games in a row (Buffalo, Boston, TO), our defense in complete shambles most of the time (though that is more a personel issue that anything) and our great indiscipline (thought he refs are hardly consistent).

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 08:06 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
Let's not take this Carbo hard on too far. He's been a decent coach but let's not anoint him with God status. Samsonov had his best two games in Colorado and Buffalo yet gets benched for no reason and then gets put on the 4th line. Obviously he doesn't care too much for it and answers honestly minutes after practice. Carbonneau then puts him on the third line for half a period and quickly puts him back on the second line. If anything it showed to me that he panicked way too quickly (Sammy had 4 points in 7 games and was starting to get hot) and made a terrible decision in demoting Samsonov for absolutely no real reason. Don't give me that motivation crap, Samsonov has been working his butt off all year.

He's been fine but the media gives him credit for everything that goes right but no blame for the things that don't work out; like us coming up flat and playing like a junior team three games in a row (Buffalo, Boston, TO), our defense in complete shambles most of the time (though that is more a personel issue that anything) and our great indiscipline (thought he refs are hardly consistent).
A. I think Carbo brings the same thing as Gainey does, call it stature, credibility, whatever. Both guys have enough presence and integrity to do their jobs. They don't have to wring their hands worrying about perception, what the boss thinks etc.

Both 'get' the game and act accordingly. The other side is that they're bound by what they're able to put together. Carbo wanted some things adresssed in the off season that Gainey couldn't for different reasons, so he does what he can with what he has. There's no guarantee that he makes the right moves in game at all times, the team will still come out flat on occasion, when the team gets in trouble, you see the same issues as you did for the last few years. Still, I wouldn't choose anyone else right now.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote