HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
06-16-2013, 10:46 PM
SacredPetra

vCash: 500
Had my best game yet today! I managed to skate the puck around another guy, got to the puck first and skated it out of our zone several times, and generally felt like I knew where I was supposed to be at all times. My shootout was about as bad as it could possibly be, but thats what I'm least worried about. Loving the new skates! I didn't realize how much trouble I was having with my skates until I speed having problems.

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:00 AM
wingnutks

I went changed my hollow from a 1/2" to a 5/8" and went to another puck shoot with my brother. I didnt practice stoping much(I should have). But with the new hollow I can definitely "feel" the edges now. With the 1/2" the ice skates felt like roller blades... grip, all the time, at nearly every angle/tilt of the blade of the skate. Zero need for any kind of finess for turning or crossovers. With the new hollow, I can definitely feel a loss of grip when I get my blades near vertical, and turning/crossovers actually take some edge control. BTW im about 210lbs with equipment.

Me and my brother signed up for an adult intramural league and it starts tonight. All the games are on Sunday nights, there are 3 time slots, you sign up for a time slot(30 players per slot), and on the first night when you go there they divide the 30 people into 2 teams and give you jerseys. That night you play a game. For the next 9 Sundays you play with the same team against the other 5 teams in one of the 3 Sunday night time slots. It is a fully reffed non-checking league. It seemed to be the most beginner league they offered... even more beginner than a normal D/E division. Also, if you sign up again after this season is over (10 games), you do the same thing again as far as selecting teams, so teams do not stay the same.

Wish me luck!

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 01:37 AM
shinchanyo

Just started as a goalie last Thursday.
Step 1: Buying the gear:
First of all came the whole buying gear process which was...difficult because I had no idea what to look for or even what stores to go to. Luckily I found out about a monkeysports store near me and they're just hockey heaven. Was fitted for a helmet, CA, pants, catcher and blocker. After trying multiple CA's I really liked a Vaughn which left me feeling like I could move freely but I went with reebok's which were more tanklike and took up more space.
Helmet fitting came down to this. My CCM 9000 fit like a glove. The bauer NME's had padding that poked into my head or pulled down on my forehead in an annoying way so the CCM won.
Skates are a nightmare for me I'm prob a EEE...very borderline EE. Some skates we baked and threw on but even just sitting there they'd start to cramp my feet. Eventually got http://www.goaliemonkey.com/graf-goa....html#ysw-tabs. I don't suspect many people go through hell with skates like I do.

The grafs were more expensive than I wanted to go and I wonder if I should have tried a bunch more or gone for EEE/custom ordered.

Ended up finding a store that specializes in used equipment. Got a Vaughn V4 7450 CA cheaper than the reebok and it feels much better than my reebok. I also got Sherwood T100 pants for 100 bucks. Find a store that sells this kind of stuff because trying to shop online without prior knowledge was impossible. I also got a nice catcher and blocker from the used store both were 150 total.

Step 2: Putting on the gear:

Boy this was fun the first time out. Anybody who wants to know how to properly put on leg pads just watch this lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8kjCH__PJQ
I didn't but in hindsight had I watched this it would have helped me avoid quite a few issues like the straps hanging too much (they leave a bit of strap looped) and how to strap to my skates (middle and back). Most importantly leave the top two straps loose so you can butterfly. I tied the top two as tight as possible and the pads refused to let me butterfly I couldn't figure out why.

CA: Put the jersey on the CA first if you can then just slip your head and arms through. I also didn't buy a goalie jersey. Made things a little...tight.

Strap up your helmet in the back before you put on your gloves otherwise if you put on your catcher and blocker first you might run into some frustrations. For me it's goalie pants first, socks, Skates, Leg pads (You can strap the first of the bottom straps in the middle of your skate before you put your foot into the skate) CA, Strap helmet and/or put it on, gloves.

Step 3: On the ice:
Getting on the ice for the first time as a goalie was awesome. I took a first tentative step onto the ice and calmly skated over to my net. I thought back to all of my training as an NHL 13 legend, put my stick down, bent slightly, squared my shoulders, put my butt down a little and felt the muscles in my legs tighten like springs ready to uncoil and push me in either direction.

I backskated and hugged the left post, then pushed off slightly once and sort of skated diagonally forward and then back a few times between each post. Eventually I tried moving more laterally. First a small push, then twice with another push to get to the other post. I was surprised how much I could see behind me and how easily I could glide side to side while standing. Then I tried to butterfly but my pads rather than facing toward the rest of the rink went straight down into the ice leaving the sides of my legs barely covered by the meager butterfly padding. and the goal wide open. I couldn't figure out how to butterfly. Nothing short of contorting myself in inhuman ways would get my pads to face out in a proper butterfly. No one seemed to have an answer for me "Dw you'll get it". I have since learned you have to leave your top straps a little lose which gives your knees the freedom to shift down without also pulling the pads face down.

Guys took shots at me for the first two minutes and then just like that it was on. I was the only goalie in a pickup game but I knew enough to come out onto my crease a little and keep the puck in line with the center of my body. Whenever guys went to their backhand outside I knew not to overcommit. Always my focus was on keeping my legs only about as far apart as my stick could cover. When forced to hug the post I kept my stick aligned with my skate pointing a little bit at an angle to prevent a puck from slipping through my legs.

My night was filled with a lot of pad stacks, poke dives and the like. I found myself bouncing before going down too frequently and worked to cut out the bouncing. I also found myself struggling to block pucks that were on the ice while in standup position. Amazingly enough I found myself making quite a few saves. I managed to catch one with the knob of my stick, glove a few out of the air a utilized and flying poke to stop a breakaway but perhaps my greatest was on a pass that came from behind the net on my left right to a wide open man practically in my crease. I stacked the pads and threw my blocker on top for good measure and good thing because the shot ricocheted right off of it. The saves I was most proud of were the ones where shots went off my chest or leg pads because they meant my positioning was sound and I wasn't panicing. I'd like to be an economical goalie at this point because I'm a big guy at 250

On day 2 I found myself using my stick much more against guys who were in junior A. I was dangled out of my shoes a few times but at this point I couldn't really care less about giving up goals I wanted to learn to trust where my pads were, figure out the butterfly and stop relying on flopping so much. Besides it was 2 on 2 half ice hockey so I knew I was facing way more cross crease passes and breakaways than normal. I was pleased with myself for breaking up so many plays when they were happening in my crease though my lower body reaction time was still pretty bad.

Tomorrow at 12 I should be playing another pickup and at 8 pm I have my beginners class where I'll be playing G with them for the first time (it's a weekly Wed night clinic I've been a skater there for awhile)

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:34 AM
soldier0829

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
I went changed my hollow from a 1/2" to a 5/8" and went to another puck shoot with my brother. I didnt practice stoping much(I should have). But with the new hollow I can definitely "feel" the edges now. With the 1/2" the ice skates felt like roller blades... grip, all the time, at nearly every angle/tilt of the blade of the skate. Zero need for any kind of finess for turning or crossovers. With the new hollow, I can definitely feel a loss of grip when I get my blades near vertical, and turning/crossovers actually take some edge control. BTW im about 210lbs with equipment.
I switched up to 5/8" recently and completely agree. Added bonus - I don't know if it is a mental thing or not - but I finally started to get the hang of hockey stopping, too. Well, only to one side but hey, progress.

soldier0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 09:58 AM
ccarrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier0829 View Post
I switched up to 5/8" recently and completely agree. Added bonus - I don't know if it is a mental thing or not - but I finally started to get the hang of hockey stopping, too. Well, only to one side but hey, progress.
It could be part mental, but the 5/8 will be easier to stop on. I was 1/2 for a LONG time and was just too heavy for that cut, too much dig. Changed it up and it was perfect.

ccarrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 02:24 PM
AntsSheffield

I've gone the other way - 5/8 down to 1/2. It took a while to get the stops adjusted but much more confidence in my edges on crossovers. And I'm 200lb

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:49 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
I've gone the other way - 5/8 down to 1/2. It took a while to get the stops adjusted but much more confidence in my edges on crossovers. And I'm 200lb
After my edges have worn in after a few skates I can feel the difference even more. I am likely going to switch to a 9/16.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 12:42 AM
shinchanyo

K So I've gone out about 10 times now in the last 2 and a half weeks as a goalie and I've fallen in love. I have also really gotten a feel for where my pads are, lateral movement and I'm just barely starting to instinctively go down to a butterfly to cover the net more efficiently. In yesterday's butterfly drill (Guy skates down the ice, turns around a cone and receives a pass for a breakaway. it has nothing to do with the goalie butterfly) I stopped 14 of 15 shots on one group including one sliding kick save and one glove snatch. Stopped my coach on two although I suspect he purposely put one into my glove to be nice lol.

Unfortunately the adult skills clinic charges full price but it is pretty much just ice time for a goalie. I am getting ice time for free 4 days a week between different rinks so I am really not sure I should pay a couple of hundred bucks for ice time I already get for free elsewhere.

I played against a guy with 14 years of experience and made quite a few genuinely nice stops on him including one with the butt of the goalie stick (I seem to do that a lot). He caught me right between the helmet and shoulder pad on the neck though.

Ow. Owowowowow.

The first two seconds it felt like someone slapped me really hard. Then the throbbing pain increased significantly. In response to this cascade of pain I simply voiced my concern for my condition in an elouquent manner using a four letter f word that rhymes with Chuk and is ironically what Chuk just did to the NJD. I smiled at the guy who was very concerned because I knew it was ok. But it did hurt preeetty bad. I was gun shy a little bit after that but kept working through it until I was just too exhausted (and I felt dizzy for a moment).

Rule #343.5b section x of my beginner goalie rule book: Buy a neck guard and use it.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:01 AM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
As the thread title suggests, I got a noob question: what does 5/8 or 1/2 mean (something with the edges, that's all I know)? What does it change?
Thanks!

PGCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:26 AM
AntsSheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post
As the thread title suggests, I got a noob question: what does 5/8 or 1/2 mean (something with the edges, that's all I know)? What does it change?
Thanks!
5/8, 1/2 etc are sizes in inches of the radius of the grinding wheel used to grind a hollow into the skate blade along its length. The smaller the fraction the deeper the hollow and more of an edge there will be on the blade.

Old
07-12-2013, 04:31 AM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Okay and what does that change exactly?

Old
07-12-2013, 05:14 AM
AntsSheffield

Quote:
Okay and what does that change exactly?
A deeper hollow has more pronounced edges, ie they stick into the ice more. That gives you more grip when cornering but in theory they're slower on the straight.

Old
07-12-2013, 07:37 AM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

So 5/8 is deeper than 1/2, right?

Old
07-12-2013, 09:57 AM
McDugan

5/8 is shallower than 1/2.

Here is a picture I made to demonstrate why:

The top shows the position of the blade in relation to the grinding wheel's radius when sharpening. The grinding wheel is shaped by what's called a "dresser." This causes the edge of the wheel take the shape of 1/2 a circle, instead of being flat. When the blade is applied to the wheel, an arc is being hollowed out of the steel. The radius of the 1/2 circle that the grinding wheel is shaped to determines the depth of the hollow.

An arc "cut out of" a larger circle is more mild. From a smaller circle, it's more "sharp" for lack of the proper terminology.

Last edited by McDugan: 07-12-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Picture wasn't showing up
McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Jive Time

Quote:
So 5/8 is deeper than 1/2, right?
Other way around:

Pitch, Hollow and Radius

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:41 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Thank you guys!
Last question about that: I always just went to our public rink, gave my skates to a guy and he sharpened them without saying anything about it. How did he do that? Is there a 'normal/standard' way or is it always different, depending on who's doing it?

Old
07-12-2013, 01:53 PM
McDugan

Most people don't think much about the physics of it all, so they just go and have skates sharpened. So, in general, a shop will have a typical "house" radius that they keep on the grinding wheel unless there is a request for something else. I think most of the time it's 1/2" but sometimes it's 5/8".

Then there is also the fact that some shops are better than others about keeping the wheel dressed properly so that the radius is accurate.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:54 PM
soldier0829

I think it is generally 1/2"

soldier0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Jayhawk88
Rookie User

I am just starting to learn to skate and hope to eventually play rec league hockey. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. Have learned a lot from this thread and the other stickies and look forward to this experience.

Jayhawk88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:47 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier0829 View Post
I think it is generally 1/2"
1/2" for adults, 3/8" for kids is the default. Usually here.

I once got a 3/8" as the guy didn't change grinder from doing a bunch of kids' skates and it was like I'd forgotten how to stop, was stumbling and falling down all the time, it sucked.

But if you are skating/learning for the first time is recommend a shallower hollow to make it easier to use edges without having them dig in and send you to the ice. Like even a 3/4". I still stick with that as I like the glide and makes pivoting at speed more forgiving.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 04:07 AM
blackat
Rookie User

Hi everyone! Totally new here, and I've been itching to talk to some other players lately...

I started skating when I was about 11 or 12 at my local rink in Brisbane, Australia and luckily enough the staff there were always super friendly, and I made friends fast with some other kids my age. They got me off figure skates pretty quick and into my first pair of hockey skates, but when it came time to play, my mum just couldn't afford all the gear and the yearly membership. I kept skating though, about 6 hours every weekend. I'd say in the middle of my teenage years, I was a pretty strong skater.

I haven't been skating regularly for about the past five years now, but I've recently found a new rink to go to here in Sydney (I've been living here for a bit now), and it's been challenging getting back on the ice. I still remember everything, but I haven't had a chance to get my skates sharpened in a very long time, and they're blunt as all get out. I mean gripping the ice is a challenge. I end up wearing my shins out within an hour because I have to put so much pressure on them to get any kind of grip. Good news is that I took them in to be sharpened yesterday, and hopefully I can have a proper skate on the weekend.

I'm contemplating finally learning to play hockey, but my problem is that I'm moving to the United States in about 6 months, and I really don't want to buy gear and then somehow take it with me on the plane! That, and hockey is much bigger over in the states (obviously), and I can probably find a really nice, super beginner league for women. I think I'll just keep refining my skating skills so I'm back up at a good level by the time I get to New Jersey, and then find a league to join.

Anyway, that's my little story. Thought I'd stick it in this thread because I guess I'm still sort of a beginner, despite skating for a good ten years now haha! Oh God, it's been so embarrassing skating the last few times, because I'm deathly afraid of putting pressure on my hockey stops because of how blunt my skates are. I went for a good stop the other day and nearly fell! The skate staff must've thought I was the worst thing they'd ever seen. Nothing like knowing you can do better and making a damn fool out of yourself, haha.

blackat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:27 AM
redbranch

welcome aboard Blackat!

what area are you moving to in NJ? My wife does a ladies clinic at Protec hockey in somerset. It's for beginners, a 1 hour instruction with scrimmaging at the end of it. Seems to be a very nice group of women, with a pretty big range in age

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:40 PM
blackat
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
welcome aboard Blackat!

what area are you moving to in NJ? My wife does a ladies clinic at Protec hockey in somerset. It's for beginners, a 1 hour instruction with scrimmaging at the end of it. Seems to be a very nice group of women, with a pretty big range in age
Thanks man! I'm moving in with a friend who currently lives around near Lawrenceville....I think? Somewhere in that area. But we'll probably be moving by the time I get over there. I'm not so good with American geography yet, but I will definitely come back with more info when I have it!

My problem is, by the time I move over my skating will be up to it's old standards again (pretty strong), but I still haven't played hockey before. Would I be suited to an absolute beginners class? I'm terrified of doing all the classic noob mistakes; holding the stick wrong, looking like a complete idiot haha!

blackat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:22 AM
stocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackat View Post
Thanks man! I'm moving in with a friend who currently lives around near Lawrenceville....I think? Somewhere in that area. But we'll probably be moving by the time I get over there. I'm not so good with American geography yet, but I will definitely come back with more info when I have it!

My problem is, by the time I move over my skating will be up to it's old standards again (pretty strong), but I still haven't played hockey before. Would I be suited to an absolute beginners class? I'm terrified of doing all the classic noob mistakes; holding the stick wrong, looking like a complete idiot haha!
I think you will do just fine. I have never been to an clinics or classes (would like to go eventually), but it from what I here its rare to find one with only "true" beginners. I have only been playing regularly for the last 3 months or so. I play with some guys in a "novice" pickup league most guys have been playing for 5ish years, and my game has improved a lot (not that its great, but still a little better) The most important thing with getting on (or back on) the ice is to just get out there! 99% of the guys out there just want to have some fun and play some hockey, and will be helpful to you if you have any questions. Some classes couldn't hurt though...

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:10 AM
timw33

Just had my first beginners' skill lesson tonight, boy was it good to get a scrimmage in. Still a very beginner skater, but it was still a lot of fun.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote