HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov's contract (updates in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2013, 05:17 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
If he did his homework he would have seen that Bryz was not a fit for this team and Lavi's system since he was a systems goalie. They didn't and hence why they had to admit to their rather obvious "mistake." They were highly reactionary (probably due to Snider more than anything). He needed to be more measured but asking Holmgren to be measured is like trying to sedate Mike Tyson in his prime...but again I still think Snider was the major driver although he tries to downplay it saying "I just happened to be at the meeting" discussing Bryz...and he just happened to send his private jet to cater to Bryz who had no other takers by Bryz's own admission! LOL!
Of maybe he figured like any coach worth a crap, Lavi could adjust to accommodate the players he had since Bryz was successful in the NHL before. But I'm sure you're right, Homer and the rest of the Flyers front office don't know there ass from their elbow when it comes to evaluation of the team and players etc.

Old
07-23-2013, 05:21 PM
poneill27

No to Carle at that price and term. No matter what - playoffs or not!

Old
07-23-2013, 05:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Of maybe he figured like any coach worth a crap, Lavi could adjust to accommodate the players he had since Bryz was successful in the NHL before. But I'm sure you're right, Homer and the rest of the Flyers front office don't know there ass from their elbow when it comes to evaluation of the team and players etc.
I'm going to go full circle.....BUYING YOUR WAY OUT OF A MISTAKE IS NOT A BEST BUSINESS PRACTICE.

They admitted they made a MISTAKE (although it was rather obvious) but it's only people on this board that continue make excuses for what amounted to a huge mistake that could have crippled this team if they didn't have a get out of jail free card. Again I fail to see how people can sing Holmgren's praises this offseason like he was some genius. Yeah he made the best of the situation by adding (players) and not subtracting (except in $$$'s for Bryz and Briere) but again it all stems from previous miscalcs and obtainining a free pass...

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 07-23-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old
07-23-2013, 05:35 PM
hockeyfreak7

I don't think it was quite obvious at all at the time that Bryzgalol was a product of Tippet's system. It was not until after when Bryzgalol blew it up in Philly and Smith had a big year in Phoenix when people started to realize what the deal was. And I still don't believe he was 100% a product of Phoenix's system. The guy is a talented goalie, and he really had the stars align for him when he got his Vezina nomination.

That being said, the contract he was signed to was obviously a mistake. At least we have a GM who is willing to acknowledge his own mistakes, though. There are plenty of GMs and owners who wouldn't have bought Bryzgalol out. It could have been much, much worse.

Old
07-23-2013, 05:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
That being said, the contract he was signed to was obviously a mistake. At least we have a GM who is willing to acknowledge his own mistakes, though. There are plenty of GMs and owners who wouldn't have bought Bryzgalol out. It could have been much, much worse.
So he is supposed to get a medal for acknowledging an obvious mistake? Again my contention with Holmgren is that he is inconsistent and seems to always have to fix his own mistakes. We could have worse I agree but just saying he isn't some great GM like some people make him out to be...

Old
07-23-2013, 05:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
So he is supposed to get a medal for acknowledging an obvious mistake? Again my contention with Holmgren is that he is inconsistent and seems to always have to fix his own mistakes. We could have worse I agree but just saying he isn't some great GM like some people make him out to be...
I have to meet these people, I can only count a few guys on here who will defend Homer to death. I would say there's far more Homer basher's on here than defenders. Then there's people on here who just call a spade a spade.

I don't think he's some great GM but I don't think he's nearly as bad as Flyers fans & other fans make him out to be. He definitely makes mistakes but I would still rate him in the top half of the league when it comes to all of the GM's.

My favorite moment of the year was when the pack of morons on here were crying about the Harry Z/Rosehill trade like we gave up an actual asset in the deal.

Old
07-23-2013, 05:57 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I'm going to go full circle.....BUYING YOUR WAY OUT OF A MISTAKE IS NOT A BEST BUSINESS PRACTICE.

They admitted they made a MISTAKE (although it was rather obvious) but it's only people on this board that continue make excuses for what amounted to a huge mistake that could have crippled this team if they didn't have a get out of jail free card. Again I fail to see how people can sing Holmgren's praises this offseason like he was some genius. Yeah he made the best of the situation by adding (players) and not subtracting (except in $$$'s for Bryz and Briere) but again it all stems from previous miscalcs and obtainining a free pass...
I really don't see how not having been able to buyout Bryz would have "crippled" the team. We already established that they wouldn't have been able to add as much this offseason so they may not have been as good short term but the core would've been intact. In a few more years he could of retired, been traded (assuming he'd waive), or maybe even play decent hockey. The team would not have been crippled.

And btw how is this even a response to my comment? I said maybe Homer thought Lavi could adjust and make it work and you responded with the above, using all caps as if that makes it a logical response.

Old
07-23-2013, 07:55 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
If he did his homework he would have seen that Bryz was not a fit for this team and Lavi's system since he was a systems goalie. They didn't and hence why they had to admit to their rather obvious "mistake." They were highly reactionary (probably due to Snider more than anything). He needed to be more measured but asking Holmgren to be measured is like trying to sedate Mike Tyson in his prime...but again I still think Snider was the major driver although he tries to downplay it saying "I just happened to be at the meeting" discussing Bryz...and he just happened to send his private jet to cater to Bryz who had no other takers by Bryz's own admission! LOL!
yea. i agree with what your saying but people are homers, ha, no pun but they want all of our moves to look optimistic, especially at the beginning of a season. i do too. the Flyers fan in me says getting lecavalier is a great move but the NHL fan in me says we didn't need him, we needed a winger and didn't get one. there's been tons of blunders over the last few years. The problem with holmgren is he started out looking like an insane miracle working genius by pulling this team from the gutter so quickly but since then there have been a ton of moves that were not well thought out. The whole Bryzgalov thing is the biggest example. But its easier to narrow things down and blame individual players than looking at the big picture and the guy who's creating it. It's not a coincidence that they just hired Hextall. Hextall came here because he was in more of a dead end situation in LA where here there's a quicker potential to move up. My major issue with holmgren is Laviolette tho. I think we need and there will be a change but only after another, hopefully not wasted, season.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
yea. i agree with what your saying but people are homers, ha, no pun but they want all of our moves to look optimistic, especially at the beginning of a season. i do too. the Flyers fan in me says getting lecavalier is a great move but the NHL fan in me says we didn't need him, we needed a winger and didn't get one. there's been tons of blunders over the last few years. The problem with holmgren is he started out looking like an insane miracle working genius by pulling this team from the gutter so quickly but since then there have been a ton of moves that were not well thought out. The whole Bryzgalov thing is the biggest example. But its easier to narrow things down and blame individual players than looking at the big picture and the guy who's creating it. It's not a coincidence that they just hired Hextall. Hextall came here because he was in more of a dead end situation in LA where here there's a quicker potential to move up. My major issue with holmgren is Laviolette tho. I think we need and there will be a change but only after another, hopefully not wasted, season.

You are aware that signing Vinny now allows us to move B. Schenn over to the LW spot right? That's better than anything that was out there this summer.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:17 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

You are aware that signing Vinny now allows us to move B. Schenn over to the LW spot right? That's better than anything that was out there this summer.
Michael Ryder bro. That would have been much better than Lecavalier... What?

Homer has had about as good off season as he possibly could have had.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:19 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post

He did pretty well, better than I expected, but that Streit contract is going to be bad. The Vinny one has a chance to hurt, too, although I don't think the risk is that great.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

If he wasn't over 30 & they didn't see Schenn as a winger long-term than maybe.

Note: I'm not saying 30's old but my understanding is that they were looking for a young winger with size, Schenn fits that bill.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:27 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
He did pretty well, better than I expected, but that Streit contract is going to be bad. The Vinny one has a chance to hurt, too, although I don't think the risk is that great.
Every contract has risks involved. I'd rather them take the chance than sit on the sidelines with a bunch of cap space.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:28 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
If he wasn't over 30 & they didn't see Schenn as a winger long-term than maybe.

Note: I'm not saying 30's old but my understanding is that they were looking for a young winger with size, Schenn fits that bill.
I was being sarcastic haha. Schenn is a much better solution than Ryder at wing.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Tripod

Quote:

Fine...He made mistakes...Just like EVERY OTHER GM. What do you want? A GM that makes none? It's not going to happen. At least Homer TRIES to fix the mistakes instead of accepting them. It's easy to look back and say what SHOULD have happened.

So tell us, going into THIS season, what should Homer have done to make the team better? I would like to see your insight. Then maybe we can sticky it and analyze it for the next 2 years. So I ask, how would you make the team better?

Old
07-23-2013, 08:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Every contract has risks involved. I'd rather them take the chance than sit on the sidelines with a bunch of cap space.

Old
07-23-2013, 09:30 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:

Ugh, yea, i know. thanks. I'm also aware that regardless, we have a hole at left wing and i don't thing schenn will be there permanently. I think we'll see the usual scramble to see what works including vinny and giroux moving from center to wing to help fill the void and develop chemistry. Were talking about what might look good on paper at this point. Believe me, i hope it works out too but It could wind up just being another crappy contract just to make the splash. I can see your a way bigger fan of lecavalier than i am.

Old
07-23-2013, 09:37 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Fine...He made mistakes...Just like EVERY OTHER GM. What do you want? A GM that makes none? It's not going to happen. At least Homer TRIES to fix the mistakes instead of accepting them. It's easy to look back and say what SHOULD have happened.

So tell us, going into THIS season, what should Homer have done to make the team better? I would like to see your insight. Then maybe we can sticky it and analyze it for the next 2 years. So I ask, how would you make the team better?
I love when people do this. First of all like I noted I want him to be more consistent....he's inconsistent with his moves.

Secondly...I don't get paid to be GM ..Holmgren does so I expect him not to make potentially crippling cap anchor type moves that he makes.

I'm not sure he has made the team all that better to be honest. I think he has simply bought his way back into potential equilibrium with bringing in some experienced vets so that the core can hopefully grow. However, there are still a lot of question marks. They are potential bridge moves but he still has a lot of work to do to make this team a cup contender and it's because he keeps doing this one step forward and one or two step back crap.

One thing is for certain....keeping Lavi is a bad move. You can sticky that one....

Old
07-23-2013, 09:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Ugh, yea, i know. thanks. I'm also aware that regardless, we have a hole at left wing and i don't thing schenn will be there permanently. I think we'll see the usual scramble to see what works including vinny and giroux moving from center to wing to help fill the void and develop chemistry. Were talking about what might look good on paper at this point. Believe me, i hope it works out too but It could wind up just being another crappy contract just to make the splash. I can see your a way bigger fan of lecavalier than i am.
Didn't Schenn suck at wing pretty much when he played it in the first half of the season?

Old
07-23-2013, 09:43 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Evil grin for the 666th post

Old
07-23-2013, 10:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Yeah I like 20+ goal scorers who score most of their points at ES.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:55 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Yeah I like 20+ goal scorers who score most of their points at ES.
you forgot on downward trajectories signed til their 40 with a cap. We're talking about whether there's an actual plan big picture wise in terms of system, players, drafting. Maybe you missed it but we seemed to have switched course several times over the last 5 years under the same coach, who also seems to be on a downward trajectory. Don't worry tho, if we have a another bad season, I'm not gonna blame vinny because it won't be his fault. He is a good player but we have lots of em and only so much money to fill legitimate needs. They didn't hire Hextall with his experience because he'd be a great addition to the phantoms.

Last edited by funghoul: 07-24-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old
07-24-2013, 01:14 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
you forgot on downward trajectories signed til their 40 with a cap. We're talking about whether there's an actual plan big picture wise in terms of system, players, drafting. Maybe you missed it but we seemed to have switched course several times over the last 5 years under the same coach, who also seems to be on a downward trajectory. Don't worry tho, if we have a another bad season, I'm not gonna blame vinny because it won't be his fault. He is a good player but we have lots of em and only so much money to fill legitimate needs. They didn't hire Hextall with his experience because he'd be a great addition to the phantoms.
Lecavalier is signed till 38 not 40 & by the time his deal is ending the actual money on it won't be high. So we could move him possibly back to Tampa.

We need a #1 defensemen & a legit starting goalie. Unfortunately they don't grow on trees & none were available so why sit with a ton of cap space available when you still can upgrade your team in other areas with players that are actually available & cost us no assets.

Old
07-24-2013, 05:54 AM
Cardds

Quote:
I love when people do this. First of all like I noted I want him to be more consistent....he's inconsistent with his moves.

Secondly...I don't get paid to be GM ..Holmgren does so I expect him not to make potentially crippling cap anchor type moves that he makes.
I love when people do this. They criticize a GM, get asked what they would do better as the GM, and then they use the old "I don't get paid to be a such and such" to save themselves. GTFO. Holmgren was clearly pressured by Snider that year for a new #1 goalie and Snider even openly admitted it in the press.

Old
07-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Hiesenberg

Vinny is 33, why are people talking about him like he just filed for Social Security?

Closed Thread