HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Physical presence on defense

Old
07-23-2013, 11:44 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
I saw no offense coming from Drewiske. Bouillon can move the puck up efficiently at least.
Bouillon is a good puck carrier until he gets to the opponent's blue line... then he is lost. Drewiske actually has a better outlet pass but doesn't carry the puck as well. As for offense, you wouldn't want to rely on either one to fill that role

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:16 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermare View Post
With the absence of Emelin there is definite room for a physical presence on defense.

I have seen several trade proposal on this board including physical defensemen or forward but there is a few UFA outthere that could do the Job.

Personnaly I would like to see The Habs give a second chance to Ryan O'Byrne. It seems like he has grown a lot since the early days. If we can grow past the purse incident and the goal scored in our own net, he could do the job, if signed at a reasonnable cost.

What do you think?
No need for O'Byrne, Drewiske is more reliable.

Personally, I would be willing to trade Rafael Diaz to get a sandpaper-with-some-talent forward.

Subban-Tinordi
Emelin-Markov
Gorges-Drewiske

With some shifts of Tinordis going to Gorges so that Tinordi and Drewiske play around 15-18 minutes only.

I think this lineup gives us better ability to fight the cycle. Drewiske for one is able to pin guys and stop the movement. Tinordi is good in those battles too. This way, each pair has some muscle.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:49 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
If people thought Traverse was a pylon?!
That bad?!?! Traverse was one of the worst D men I've ever seen.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:30 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The Habs have Drewiske filling the 7th defence position already and any other acquisition should have more potential for the future. O'Byrne burned up his chance in Montreal playing the 6'5" clown, teasing that young girl, drunk isn't an excuse for antagonizing young women.
I've more or less heard the same variation of the story from several folks, and I assure you, the purse snatching incident wasn't entirely Ryan O'Byrne's fault.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
No need for O'Byrne, Drewiske is more reliable.

Personally, I would be willing to trade Rafael Diaz to get a sandpaper-with-some-talent forward.

Subban-Tinordi
Emelin-Markov
Gorges-Drewiske

With some shifts of Tinordis going to Gorges so that Tinordi and Drewiske play around 15-18 minutes only.

I think this lineup gives us better ability to fight the cycle. Drewiske for one is able to pin guys and stop the movement. Tinordi is good in those battles too. This way, each pair has some muscle.
Dead whisky is not reliable, he can plug a hole… but that’S about it…

Tinordi is an excellent D-man in the making… but Big Defensemen generally needs development... I don’T like bringing him as our sole Physical defenseman. The problem is that as a big man playing that style in the NHL he will have to answer the bell… and In some situations it might hurt him to have to do so against man he is not ready to face. Just look at game 5 against the Sens, and imagine against the Bruins…

Last edited by Thundermare: 07-24-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:26 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
I've more or less heard the same variation of the story from several folks, and I assure you, the purse snatching incident wasn't entirely Ryan O'Byrne's fault.
Whatever floats your boat bud, gentleman he's not and you can take that to the bank. Toronto doesn't want him what's that say?

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:37 AM
danyhabsfan

Their is nobody on the UFA market that I like.

I think the upgrade on defense will come by a trade.

Maybe Ericksson from Detroit

We could offer Diaz. I think he played with Zetterberg and Brunner (UFA) during the lockout.

They have a need for RH defenseman.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Yeah pretty much reminds me of the Darche hate.
The problem with both Darche and Boullion is that they are players you bring in to patch holes. In that role, they are great. The issue was having Darche playing too many minutes in situations where the Habs needed to win, not just "not lose".

That is where the hate comes from.

As for Boullion, in his first go around with the Habs, he was a patch. They never got the player they needed, Boullion played well enough. This time around, again he is a patch, but the Habs have more options.

I have no problem with Boullion. He is an honest player. Does not panic, moves the puck ok, and will not be intimidated. He is a hell of a lot better than many defencemen the Habs have had on their blueline since he left.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:50 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

I'd like it if we stopped improving our defensive depth from below. Next guy should push Boullion down the list, not up.

And why do so many people equate "puck-moving" with small? IMHO Emelin is an excellent puck-moving defenceman.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:21 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
why do so many people equate "puck-moving" with small? IMHO Emelin is an excellent puck-moving defenceman.
Larry Robinson, Serge Savard and Guy Lapointe come to mind.

They were defencemen.

The puck moved great.

And so did they.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:23 AM
HCH

Quote:
Whatever floats your boat bud, gentleman he's not and you can take that to the bank. Toronto doesn't want him what's that say?
If you are indeed from Victoria you probably have more insight into O'Byrne than many of us but if you are relying on newspaper reports to form your opinion, that is a different story.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:32 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
If you are indeed from Victoria you probably have more insight into O'Byrne than many of us but if you are relying on newspaper reports to form your opinion, that is a different story.
What the judge's opinion doesn't count for anything, guilty is guilty and when you plead guilty guess he was forced to say that, right?

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I'd take Fistric on the 3rd pairing over Bouillon and Drewiske.

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Tinordi
Fistric - Diaz
Drewiske/Bouillon

To start the year

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:46 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I'd take Fistric on the 3rd pairing over Bouillon and Drewiske.

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Tinordi
Fistric - Diaz
Drewiske/Bouillon

To start the year
Nothing against using Fistric in our top 6 if we could get him, and holding off on Emelin until he is ready, but I am for trading Diaz for his market value and relying on our two offensive juggernauts, with Beaulieu and eventually Dietz as backup for offence from the backline.

Old
07-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Would be a short term move cosing assets. If we can get a guy like Grossman or Coburn at a discount, fine, but trading a high pick or top prospect makes no sense. We have Emelin and Gorges with Tinordi close and Pateryn as potentially another option.
I think Price needs the support. We've thrown him to the wolves for the past couple of seasons. For the most part its been okay but that breakdown at the end of last year wasn't good. I really think that we should've gotten a guy to help out on the backend.

Hopefully Tinordi will be good enough. As somebody else said... Tinordi or fail -that's how we're doing things - and I think that's a stupid way to handle a rookie. Gorges played like crap last year and Emelin is hurt. We have absolutely no one who protects the crease (just like we have few who go to the net) and that has to change.

We're a talented team but we're extremely one dimensional. It's like our GM thinks that figure skating is going to lead us somewhere. Sometimes you have to be able to grind out a win and that just isn't in our DNA right now. You can't ignore the net at both ends of the ice and expect to win in the playoffs. And its doubly frustrating because our GM claimed to know this but went out and got Briere...

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 07-24-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Drunk World Order

Our D is pretty physical...Subban and Emelin are two of the best hitters in the league and Georges and Bouillion can hit as well...not to mention Tinordi who can throw some big hits too.

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk World Order View Post
Our D is pretty physical...Subban and Emelin are two of the best hitters in the league and Georges and Bouillion can hit as well...not to mention Tinordi who can throw some big hits too.
Our D is not physical, sorry. Subban and Emelin are the only ones who can throw big hits but right now Emelin is injured so we're kinda ****ed. Gorges can't hit and Bouillon doesn't hit anymore like the first time he was with us.

Subban can't do everything by himself. Sure, he can hit but we need other guys who can hit too.

Price My Man Crush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Physicality is not only about hits tho'. I'd like to see one of our defenders stamp a raging forechecker to the board and immobilize the puck.

Our defense runs around too much and gets worn out easily.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:51 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Physicality is not only about hits tho'. I'd like to see one of our defenders stamp a raging forechecker to the board and immobilize the puck.

The new system has a lot to do with that, though.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:08 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Larry Robinson, Serge Savard and Guy Lapointe come to mind.

They were defencemen.

The puck moved great.

And so did they.
Robinson wasn't so great with making a safe pass. Especially after he lost Savard (who was the stay-at-home cleanup guy). He improved later in his career.

Lapointe was truly underrated. One of the best Dmen in the league. WOuld have been a #1 on almost any other team.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:10 PM
Lshap

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
The new system has a lot to do with that, though.
It's true that with Therrien our D is structured around fast transition and forecheck, which takes speed and consumes energy. It showed itself to be a good system.

But that still leaves a hole around our own net. I agree with the bolded part -- we need some big defensemen to keep those damn scrums around Price from becoming goals. Hitting is nice, but the real danger is around the crease. We need size to sweep away the trash.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:12 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

We just need one guy like that and Tinordi will be him, but not yet. Emelin is a nice secondary guy. Hopefully Eller will impose himself more as he gets bigger. And maybe Galchenyuk will play center at some point and be able to use his size at our net. We have nobody to handle Lucic, but then again, who does?

The biggest problem with our defense will be replacing Markov imo. Unless his leg is truly 100% when the season starts. He was not healthy last year either.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
We just need one guy like that and Tinordi will be him, but not yet. Emelin is a nice secondary guy. Hopefully Eller will impose himself more as he gets bigger. And maybe Galchenyuk will play center at some point and be able to use his size at our net. We have nobody to handle Lucic, but then again, who does?

The biggest problem with our defense will be replacing Markov imo. Unless his leg is truly 100% when the season starts. He was not healthy last year either.
He was 100%. Unfortunately that 100% is not the same as it was years ago. He's slowed a lot but he is still a key player for us.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
He was 100%. Unfortunately that 100% is not the same as it was years ago. He's slowed a lot but he is still a key player for us.
We can't count on Markov. It's that simple. We couldn't count on him for the past two or three years and we shouldn't count on him now. Anything he does is a bonus. Play him (or trade him) but be prepared to have him go down because we've been burned too many times in the past.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:18 PM
CaptainBenn
The king is back

Quote:
Who cares? So you would never sign Pat Kane the punk that assaulted a poor man doing his job?
What Obyrne did was childish/immature but not violent unlike Kane but Im sure you would still sign Kane...

CaptainBenn is offline   Reply With Quote