HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor-NYI

Old
07-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Hockey 4 Life

vCash: 500
Tor-NYI

Toronto needs cap relief and can take a down grade on d to save cap space. The Islanders could use an upgrade on d and can afford a little more against the cap. Would a trade like this work ?

To
Toronto
Matt carkner
4th in 2014

NYI
Liles
2014 3rd

The isles get a solid top 4 puck mover, and the leafs get some toughness on the back end while saving 2 mil + against the cap.

Hockey 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Sheva7

Thanks but no thanks Leafs.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:20 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
Edit: oh...nevermind.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Hockey 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
JML is a solid upgrade over carkner and the only reason a trade like this would happen is because of the leafs cap situation. It's a bit of a risk for the Islanders but it could pay off huge if liles is put into a top 4 role and hits 40 points again. If not they gain a higher pick in 2014 and have an extra 2.3 mil in cap they have to absorb for a few more years.

Hockey 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Beastly Bozak
#FreeJakeGardiner

No room for him on the leafs... Just take liles for a fourth

Beastly Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Bozak View Post
No room for him on the leafs... Just take liles for a fourth
We don't want Liles, not even for a 4th. He's on a bad contract that the Isles want no part of, and he's not even the kind of defenseman the Isles need. We've got plenty of cap space but we aren't a dump ground.

Benedict Kovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Ah, what would be the start of a hockey season be without Toronto fans obsessively posting about expensive Leaf defensemen traded to the Isles? I guess it worked so well with Komisarek and McCabe that you guys must have a lot of incentive to continue.

My guess is that Leaf management still sees some role for Liles, or they would have used an amnesty on him this summer. Either way, you are not getting any team to eat that contract at this point in time.

You could package him with picks or prospects to get another team to help you with the cap hit.

Maybe send Frason and Liles for a mid round pick to a team like Buffalo, with both cap and payroll room. Sabres might want a bit more in return though.

07-24-2013, 11:56 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

For the millionth time, Leafs fans, JML is not the type of defenseman the Islanders need. They need a two-way or defensive guy, Liles does not fit the bill, we have Visnovsky and Donovan to handle the offense.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Quares27

I'd rather get a 6th round pick or something than Matt Carnker

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey 4 Life View Post
Toronto needs cap relief and can take a down grade on d to save cap space. The Islanders could use an upgrade on d and can afford a little more against the cap. Would a trade like this work ?

To
Toronto
Matt carkner
4th in 2014

NYI
Liles
2014 3rd

The isles get a solid top 4 puck mover, and the leafs get some toughness on the back end while saving 2 mil + against the cap.

Wow another Liles to LI thread. I guess they replace the Komi to LI threads?

Isles have a glut of young D .Several between their nhl and ahl teams. No interest in Liles remaining three yrs. Donovan/De Haan/Ness will fight for one roster spot this Sept.

Behind them is the next wave : Reinhart, Mayfield,Pedan, Pulock,Pokka.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
I'd rather get a 6th round pick or something than Matt Carnker
You're not even going to get that. You will have top pay to unload that contract.

That is not to suggest that Liles is a useless player either. But, an expensive guy coming off a meh year with multiple years left on his deal is going to be a really had sell in today's NHL. It was the same scenario with Grabo.

Maybe the Leafs can hold onto him until he hopefully reestablishes himself.

My personal opinion is that Leafs would have been better off giving him an amnesty than Komisarek, given the terms on the contracts.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 07-24-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Quares27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
You're not even going to get that. You will have top pay to unload that contract.

That is not to suggest that Liles is a useless player either. But, an expensive guy coming off a meh year with multiple years left on his deal is going to be a really had sell in today's NHL. It was the same scenario with Grabo.

Maybe the Leafs can hold onto him until he hopefully reestablishes himself.

My personal opinion is that Leafs would have been better off giving him an amnesty than Komisarek, given the terms on the contracts.
Big difference between 3.8 million and Grabovski's 5.5. Liles was mainly benched because Carlyle wasn't a fan of him rather than him playing poorly. He outplayed several of the D that were slotted in regularly. Grabovski was just horrible.

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Big difference between 3.8 million and Grabovski's 5.5. Liles was mainly benched because Carlyle wasn't a fan of him rather than him playing poorly. He outplayed several of the D that were slotted in regularly. Grabovski was just horrible.
I didn't say that Garbo and Liles are in identical situations, but there are certainly parallels.

Grabo might have been horrible because he was used as a third line center, and he really doesn't have that kind of game. So the mis-use argument still holds.

And, Liles gets paid 4.25 in real world dollars. Real world dollars may not matter to teams like Toronto, but certainly to teams like the Isles.

I wouldn't see Liles as a toxic asset to the same extend as Grabo, but you certainly have some of the same issues.

Old
07-24-2013, 01:47 PM
DoubleDose86

Quote:
Ah, what would be the start of a hockey season be without Toronto fans obsessively posting about expensive Leaf defensemen traded to the Isles? I guess it worked so well with Komisarek and McCabe that you guys must have a lot of incentive to continue.
but one day we will get it right... we're due right?

DoubleDose86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:56 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:

My guess is that Leaf management still sees some role for Liles, or they would have used an amnesty on him this summer. Either way, you are not getting any team to eat that contract at this point in time.

You could package him with picks or prospects to get another team to help you with the cap hit.

Maybe send Frason and Liles for a mid round pick to a team like Buffalo, with both cap and payroll room. Sabres might want a bit more in return though.

Liles And Franson ?since when did we become Nashville? The Leafs have no need to include a young player like Franson unless it's a bigger deal. For just dumping Liles you might get a pick

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Liles And Franson ?since when did we become Nashville? The Leafs have no need to include a young player like Franson unless it's a bigger deal. For just dumping Liles you might get a pick
Then keep him.

You guys have been posting these "we dump our crap on the Isles at no cost to us" deals for years. How many of those deals actually worked out?

Old
07-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Reacher Gilt

Quote:
Haha no thanks

Reacher Gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDose86 View Post
but one day we will get it right... we're due right?

In reality, the return the Leafs got from moving some big contracts (like FB) was sometimes impressive.

The obsession some Leaf fans have with the Island is a bit silly though.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher Gilt View Post
Haha no thanks
Can't say that I blame you, but you see where I was going with that. Buffalo is one of the teams with $ and cap hit, so they can afford to take a dump in return for assets.

But, may not be workable for other reasons, of course.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:06 PM
DoubleDose86

Is there just no room on Calgary? honestly just curious. With no Iginla/kipper, wouldn't they want a leader? Liles, can play still. He's still not 35+ so not really up there too bad.

Just curious like I said, tried thinking of teams that may want a veteran to help their young kids.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:08 PM
frankthetank91

Lmao I love how as soon as we have an overpaid defensemen that doesn't fit we always try to dump then on the Isles. After years on refusing to take Komisarek, you will take Liles whether you like it or not!

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDose86 View Post
Is there just no room on Calgary? honestly just curious. With no Iginla/kipper, wouldn't they want a leader? Liles, can play still. He's still not 35+ so not really up there too bad.

Just curious like I said, tried thinking of teams that may want a veteran to help their young kids.
Well, I am not expert with regard to Calgary. But, they do still have a few bad contracts to manage (like Cammy).

Besides, if they eat cap room from another team, aren't they going to want to be paid in prospects/picks?

Old
07-24-2013, 02:10 PM
DoubleDose86

Quote:
Well, I am not expert with regard to Calgary. But, they do still have a few bad contracts to manage (like Cammy).

Besides, if they eat cap room from another team, aren't they going to want to be paid in prospects/picks?
No that makes sense, but if other teams want top picks/prospects it won't work. maybe someone needing a leader "could" help lower the cost on us. as it may help Liles improve the team.

also if Some Salary is retained would Liles be more desireable? (we hold salary whole contract right? sorry just not thinking today)

Old
07-24-2013, 02:12 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Doesn't Toronto still have an amnesty buyout left or did they spend it all?

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:14 PM
DoubleDose86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Doesn't Toronto still have an amnesty buyout left or did they spend it all?
Grabovski-Komi