HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Bombers 2013 Season Thread (next game: 08/05 @ BC)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2013, 07:36 AM
  #851
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,555
vCash: 500
Lawless wrote a piece on the bombers today.
here is a snippit from said article that I found to be funny and sad at the same time.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...216712061.html

Quote:
Reportedly, the price Buono wanted from Mack for Reilly was Winnipeg's 2013 first-round pick. Mack balked and kept his pick to select Andy Mulumba, currently with the NFL's Green Bay Packers.

Depending on whom you talk to, Calgary wanted either a first- or second-round pick for Glenn but Mack also deemed that price too steep.
So instead of getting an almost guaranteed upgrade at the most important position on your team, you go ahead and draft a player that may or may not ever play in the CFL

Good job Mack

King Woodballs is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 08:08 AM
  #852
Potrzebie
Registered User
 
Potrzebie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 934
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
Lawless wrote a piece on the bombers today.
here is a snippit from said article that I found to be funny and sad at the same time.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...216712061.html



So instead of getting an almost guaranteed upgrade at the most important position on your team, you go ahead and draft a player that may or may not ever play in the CFL

Good job Mack
It is Lawless after all so this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Besides people should let Mike Reilly go already. He has been awful so far this season. He would not have been an upgrade.

Potrzebie is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 08:12 AM
  #853
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jet Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
Lawless wrote a piece on the bombers today.
here is a snippit from said article that I found to be funny and sad at the same time.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...216712061.html



So instead of getting an almost guaranteed upgrade at the most important position on your team, you go ahead and draft a player that may or may not ever play in the CFL

Good job Mack
Let me ask you something.

Would you give up a first rounder for a player like Reilly when you weren't even going to be given permission to speak with him or his agent about a contract prior to the trade?

Because those were the conditions Wally laid out.

Jet Bomber is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 08:20 AM
  #854
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potrzebie View Post
It is Lawless after all so this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Besides people should let Mike Reilly go already. He has been awful so far this season. He would not have been an upgrade.
He has been no worse then anything the Bombers have thrown out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Let me ask you something.

Would you give up a first rounder for a player like Reilly when you weren't even going to be given permission to speak with him or his agent about a contract prior to the trade?

Because those were the conditions Wally laid out.

Everyone and their dog knew what was going to happen to the Bombers this season.
It was completely worth the risk IMO.

King Woodballs is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 10:43 AM
  #855
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jet Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
He has been no worse then anything the Bombers have thrown out there.




Everyone and their dog knew what was going to happen to the Bombers this season.
It was completely worth the risk IMO.
Not really. I don't like Pierce either, but giving a first round pick up for a player you're not even allowed to talk to is ludicrous.

Especially when there is no evidence to suggest he is any better than our own prospects.

Jet Bomber is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 11:38 AM
  #856
fmrdh
Registered User
 
fmrdh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 747
vCash: 500
Goltz to start on Friday.

fmrdh is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 12:42 PM
  #857
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Not really. I don't like Pierce either, but giving a first round pick up for a player you're not even allowed to talk to is ludicrous.

Especially when there is no evidence to suggest he is any better than our own prospects.
Why keep the pick if you are just going to draft a guy that may never even play here?
It is really no different.
I would have traded it for the QB 10/10 times easily.

King Woodballs is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 01:38 PM
  #858
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man
 
winterpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrdh View Post
Goltz to start on Friday.
I was at the last game. A few poor decisions by Goltz but 13 of 15 after he went in means when he throws the ball it finds hands. So that's something.

Hopefully he can shine, and just take over. That's what this team needs. I like Buck, I really do, but he is not, and cannot be, our guy.

winterpeg is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 03:17 PM
  #859
Just Ducky
Registered User
 
Just Ducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
I really hope Goltz with a full week of #1 reps at practise will play well and execute some offense. My fear is his reads will be late and at times wrong. Lets not forget he is inexperienced. Maybe/pray Crowton schemes something that involves his running abilities- this would completely screw all the teams that are loading up the box on us. I will be cheering for him all the way though!!!

Just Ducky is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 12:59 PM
  #860
ICdave
HFB Partner
 
ICdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,981
vCash: 500
Post-practice audio



Coach Burke and Justin Goltz.

To listen click here.

ICdave is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 08:32 PM
  #861
Potrzebie
Registered User
 
Potrzebie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 934
vCash: 50
Well Terrence Edwards will be back which will help.

I'm not expecting much to be honest. I don't think Goltz is any more the answer than any of the other countless backups who have been thrown to the wolves here in the last 5 years.

Potrzebie is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 10:43 PM
  #862
razorsedge
West Town Sports
 
razorsedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Sask, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,716
vCash: 500
Reilly the saviour didn't do so well tonight.

razorsedge is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 09:05 AM
  #863
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,943
vCash: 500
LOL, something tells me the Bomber locker room isn't happy land right now. The comments from Pierce yesterday stating he's ready to go right now and is upset about not playing and then the comments from Goltz in which he basically says he's well-aware that us fans are looking for someone to take the ball and save us from the horrible, ineffective QBing we've had under BP suggest to me that Buck and Justin probably don't sit next to each other in the changing room...lol.

SensibleGuy is online now  
Old
07-26-2013, 09:14 AM
  #864
Dascow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
Lawless wrote a piece on the bombers today.
here is a snippit from said article that I found to be funny and sad at the same time.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...216712061.html



So instead of getting an almost guaranteed upgrade at the most important position on your team, you go ahead and draft a player that may or may not ever play in the CFL

Good job Mack
This is the kind of thing that frustrates me about Lawless. He is often deceitful and hypocritical in his opinions.

He throws in the line that Mulumba may or may never play in the CFL. Fans who know something about the CFL will just ignore that line, because most fans who know something about the CFL ignore Lawless, but for fans who don’t really understand the CFL that line becomes another point of contention in a case against Joe Mack.

Garry Lawless has clearly shown that he has a bee in his bonnet when it comes to Joe Mack and he will distort the picture in any way possible to try and show Mack in a bad light. People who don’t know anything about the CFL fall for it.

So why is that statement deceitful?

Anyone who is drafted may or may never play in the CFL. That’s the nature of draft picks.
The risk of the CFL draft is that there are always a group of guys that will get tryouts for NFL clubs. It happens every year and every year GMs have to calculate those risks to better figure out where they should draft a player.

For example, Bo Lokombo was ranked #1 by the CFL scouting bureau in 2013 but wasn’t actually picked until round 3 with the 21st pick. That’s because he has a year left in school and he will most likely be drafted by the NFL when he is done.

In 2012 the Bombers drafted Christo Bilukidi in the 3rd round with the 21st pick. He was ranked #6 by the CFL scouting bureau. The Bombers knew that the odds of him making an NFL roster were good, but they took a flyer on him, thinking that if he falls through the cracks at some point in the future, he could be a dominant player for the Blue and Gold.
The Bombers did their research on Mulumba as well. He is currently on the pre-season roster of the Green Bay Packers, but he is a long shot to make the team. So the odds are greater that by next year, Mulumba is a Blue Bomber. At that point he will still need to make the team. Which obviously, may or may not happen.

If he does make the team, he could also be a dominate player on the D-line for many years to come.
So, is a possible dominant non-import D-lineman who could be a main stay for 10 years worth an average QB who will be around for maybe 2 or 3 years, in Glenn? Or worth a completely unproven QB in Reilly?

That’s the kind of thinking that got the Bombers in trouble in the past. (Example: Taman trading a first round pick for Spergon Wynn.)

So when Lawless adds a line like that, he is being disingenuous.

Dascow is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 09:17 AM
  #865
Dascow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
LOL, something tells me the Bomber locker room isn't happy land right now. The comments from Pierce yesterday stating he's ready to go right now and is upset about not playing and then the comments from Goltz in which he basically says he's well-aware that us fans are looking for someone to take the ball and save us from the horrible, ineffective QBing we've had under BP suggest to me that Buck and Justin probably don't sit next to each other in the changing room...lol.
Actually, they sit beside each other, according to this article:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...217061781.html

Buck said the same thing last year when they wanted to sit him and start either Brink or Elliott. It's what he does.

Dascow is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 09:22 AM
  #866
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,783
vCash: 500
I'd rather give a QB that might have decent starting upside a shot than keep beating the dead horse that is Buck Pierce.

It's painfully obvious that Buck has reached the end of the road as a CFL starter. I know people say that Winnipeg runs its starting QBs out of town, the backup is the most popular man in town, etc., but let's be realistic here. Even when Khari and Glenn were nearing the end of their tenure here, they could at least conjure up some decent performances from time to time.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 09:38 AM
  #867
SensibleGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascow View Post
Actually, they sit beside each other, according to this article:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...217061781.html

Buck said the same thing last year when they wanted to sit him and start either Brink or Elliott. It's what he does.
yeah yeah I know all that. Buck just wants to play yadda yadda. Look, I think its time for BP to just close his yap and let the team decide what it needs to do at the QB position. Buck has proven nothing over the past few years other than that he can get injured and that when he's not injured he's the 8th best starting QB in the league.

SensibleGuy is online now  
Old
07-26-2013, 09:49 AM
  #868
Dascow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
yeah yeah I know all that. Buck just wants to play yadda yadda. Look, I think its time for BP to just close his yap and let the team decide what it needs to do at the QB position. Buck has proven nothing over the past few years other than that he can get injured and that when he's not injured he's the 8th best starting QB in the league.
I agree.

I think, as Goltz stated in his press conference, the winds are changing.

It seems that even the Bombers are starting to realize that there is no future with Buck Pierce as a QB. (Maybe he would make a good coach?)

As a franchise, we need to move on.

Dascow is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 10:20 AM
  #869
meedle
Registered User
 
meedle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
yeah yeah I know all that. Buck just wants to play yadda yadda. Look, I think its time for BP to just close his yap and let the team decide what it needs to do at the QB position. Buck has proven nothing over the past few years other than that he can get injured and that when he's not injured he's the 8th best starting QB in the league.
Buck actually reminds me of Pavelec and Buff. yadda yadda yadda I want to play every game/more minutes. Well if you want to play, how about you perform?

meedle is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 10:38 AM
  #870
ajmidd12
Know-It-All
 
ajmidd12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hungover
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
I'm not convinced that Buck was the reason we didn't win these past few weeks. Have you guys watched the plays being called? Completely horrendous. Offensive Coordinator needs to be more consistent and call plays to the strengths of his QB and Offensive team.

Should let Buck call the plays for Goltz, see what magic they can put together. More often than naught you could see Buck was frustrated with what was being called on the field.

Our team needs another revamp and it needs to start with head office, Mack and up.

ajmidd12 is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 11:09 AM
  #871
Dascow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
I'm not convinced that Buck was the reason we didn't win these past few weeks. Have you guys watched the plays being called? Completely horrendous. Offensive Coordinator needs to be more consistent and call plays to the strengths of his QB and Offensive team.

Should let Buck call the plays for Goltz, see what magic they can put together. More often than naught you could see Buck was frustrated with what was being called on the field.

Our team needs another revamp and it needs to start with head office, Mack and up.
The last thing this team needs is another revamp. We get one every 2 or 3 years and it's not working.

Mack is a good GM. The one spot he hasn't got is right yet though is at the most important position, QB.

QB just happens to be the hardest position to find.

Dascow is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 11:37 AM
  #872
ajmidd12
Know-It-All
 
ajmidd12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hungover
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascow View Post
The last thing this team needs is another revamp. We get one every 2 or 3 years and it's not working.

Mack is a good GM. The one spot he hasn't got is right yet though is at the most important position, QB.

QB just happens to be the hardest position to find.
Mack is a terrible GM, why wasn't he out there buying what he needed? Our O-Line is atrocious. Want to know why Montreal used to win? Cause Calvillo had all the time in the world to make the right play.

The guy sits back and lets guys like Brendon LaBatte walk instead of offering a more appealing contract. He's tearing it up now in Sask.... LaBatte isn't the only one, but the one I can think of at this moment.

You don't protect your QB and he gets injured. Buck was basically speared.

ajmidd12 is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 11:43 AM
  #873
TCsmyth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Mack is a terrible GM, why wasn't he out there buying what he needed? Our O-Line is atrocious. Want to know why Montreal used to win? Cause Calvillo had all the time in the world to make the right play.

You don't protect your QB and he gets injured. Buck was basically speared.
Agreed on the bolded underlined - as far as just "buying" your way out of trouble - not going to be in the Bomber playbook....if Brenden Taman was still here, this team would be a perennial contender

TCsmyth is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 12:00 PM
  #874
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascow View Post
The last thing this team needs is another revamp. We get one every 2 or 3 years and it's not working.

Mack is a good GM. The one spot he hasn't got is right yet though is at the most important position, QB.

QB just happens to be the hardest position to find.
While he's not the buffoon that some people paint him as, he's far from a good GM.

-To his credit, he's found good talent at the skill positions. Really though, that's one of the easiest tasks for a CFL GM. Finding talented Americans isn't hard.

-Drafting is a push. Some quality NI's have been brought in, but he's been about middle of the road during his tenure.

-Coaching decisions have been questionable to say the least. Firing LaPolice and replacing him with Burke was a lateral move at best, neither is a great head coach in my estimation. The worst was bringing in Crowton, who (by his own admission) didn't know how to construct an offense for the CFL when he arrived, and I still don't think he's figured it out.

-Personnel decisions have also been very questionable. Trading Odell Willis is probably the only move I can really defend. Letting contributors like Carr, Kent and Hefney go while giving long leashes to guys like Jovon (who was slipping last year and has been brutal this year), Pierce and January (average tackle, surely better imports than him can be found) looks pretty bad.

-Quality QBs are very hard to find, but it's not like there weren't opportunities. Burris could have been acquired in 2012, Glenn could have been had for a song this past offseason.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 12:04 PM
  #875
Dascow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Agreed on the bolded underlined - as far as just "buying" your way out of trouble - not going to be in the Bomber playbook....if Brenden Taman was still here, this team would be a perennial contender
We were not perennial contenders when Taman was the GM sooo....your argument fails.

Previous GMs left the o-line in tatters.

Mack did not "LET" LaBatte go, (As ajmidd12 has claimed.), LaBatte decided he wanted to play closer to home and for his favorite team so HE decided to leave.

If someone wants to leave for those kinds of reasons, what's Mack supposed to do? Tie him to a chair?

Mack is a good GM and it's pretty clear. History has shown that the decisions, that everyone were up in arms about at the time, actually turned out to be correct.

Mack and Cheveldayoff have the same philosophy when it comes to free agency. Don't over pay and stick to the plan.

Dascow is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.