HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should Bergevin offer sheet Cowen?

View Poll Results: Should Bergevin offer sheet Cowen?
Yes 39 32.23%
No 82 67.77%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Drive425

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
DD will help with the cap hell?
Cheaper than Stepan would be considering he will probably be a 5 mill hit.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Nah.

Id rather give up the assets (1st/2nd) in a trade for Byfuglien. I think he would be great with Subban.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'm all for offer-sheeting him. 1st+2nd+3rd, that's fine to give up for a player of Cowen's calibre. Of course, I don't believe we'd be giving it up, Ottawa would match. But it would sting them financially. Whether that would end up having an effect on their ability to compete this year or not, I don't know, but that would be the main objective.

Getting Cowen to sign an offersheet with our team is probably not viable, though, even if you throw $4M at him? (which would just be a 1st+3rd I think). But who knows. It would surely be worth a try IMHO.
What about the potential repercussions, insofar as Ottawa offersheeting a Hab down the road?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Roulin

I don't see it. The Sens have a ton of cap space. The point has been made that they are a budget team, but because of the way Spezza's contract is structured the actual money committed this season is a couple of million less than their cap commitment. If the Sens did not match, I suspect it would be because of something they know about Cowen's health.

For the Rangers, retaining Stepan shouldn't be a problem. If necessary I'm sure they'll find a way to move Boyle, Pyatt or Stralman and shake enough change loose.

I'm generally pro-offer sheet, I just don't see it in these particular cases.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Try to get Mclrath via trade before you give up too much for Cowen.
Yes

Wrath is one big and nasty MOFO. Would probably cost less too in assets (trade vs offer sheet)

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

That's actually a great idea. A high offer Sens would match anyway. Bergevin doesn't seem like this kind of GM tho.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Sweeney

No, respect is part of Bergevin plan

Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by 131313 View Post
Yes

Wrath is one big and nasty MOFO. Would probably cost less too in assets (trade vs offer sheet)
any idea why he look like a bust for some? just 5 points last year but that's not its game. put him with an offensive guy and he could be like komisarek.... but didnt seen him play for the last 2 years

Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:11 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
How many offer sheets in the last 10 years?
Holmgren would know, he's seems to be the only GM that does it....

Don't like offer sheets...shows lack of respect...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:15 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
How many offer sheets in the last 10 years?

There's only been 8 since the 2005 Lockout and only one (Penner) has not been matched.

Though in the 90's there were offer sheets every summer.

NLHabsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
There's only been 8 since the 2005 Lockout and only one (Penner) has not been matched.

Though in the 90's there were offer sheets every summer.
I'm sure the notion that there was no salary cap back then certainly favored offer sheets. Teams with a ton of money could just offer sheet players playings for weak markets for crazy amounts

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

You do that and if we don't get him, then Ottawa will do the same to us.

You inquire, see if Ottawa wants something for him, if they don't you move the **** on.

Did some of you just compare McIlrath to Cowen ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:03 PM
HABitual Fan

If you are looking to screw over a division rival with an offer sheet, a much better target is Kadri in Toronto, They are very tight to the cap and would be hard pressed to match an offer in the 4M range with Franson and Fraser left to sign as well, and about 6.5M available for the three of them currently and Franson looking to get at least the 3.1M Gunnarson signed for in arbitration. Considering he was a Habs fan growing up, he may even sign it. Next year they have Phaneuf, Bolland, Kulemin, Kessel all as UFA's and Gardiner and Reimer as RFA's so this could make it very hard for them down the road.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
If you are looking to screw over a division rival with an offer sheet, a much better target is Kadri in Toronto, They are very tight to the cap and would be hard pressed to match an offer in the 4M range with Franson and Fraser left to sign as well, and about 6.5M available for the three of them currently and Franson looking to get at least the 3.1M Gunnarson signed for in arbitration. Considering he was a Habs fan growing up, he may even sign it. Next year they have Phaneuf, Bolland, Kulemin, Kessel all as UFA's and Gardiner and Reimer as RFA's so this could make it very hard for them down the road.
What the hell would the club do with Kadri?

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Tinordi will be superior to Cowen imo, but it would still be nice to have that kind of player on your D there's a lot of bang and crash with Cowen, Subban, Tinordi and Emelin on your D. Not gonna happen but I would like it to.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Forsead

The team doesn't need a Cowen (He's very good, but I think Tinordi will be that guy) IMO.

The team need either a good shutdown, big, physical, mean crease clearer, veteran, top 4 D, that can help on the PK if the team choose to let Gorges go.

Either a good, big, physical, two-way, top 4 guy, that can play some time on the PP if they choose to let Diaz go

Or either a big, physical, mean crease clearer, cheap, bottom 2 guy to replace Bouillon.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:50 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

maybe we should offer him more than sheet

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
The team doesn't need a Cowen (He's very good, but I think Tinordi will be that guy) IMO.

The team need either a good shutdown, big, physical, mean crease clearer, veteran, top 4 D, that can help on the PK if the team choose to let Gorges go.

Either a good, big, physical, two-way, top 4 guy, that can play some time on the PP if they choose to let Diaz go

Or either a big, physical, mean crease clearer, cheap, bottom 2 guy to replace Bouillon.
Cowen is that aside from the veteran part at this point.

Cowen is cheap at this point. If you were to get him, then you'd have Tinordi and Cowen on the backend to **** people up.

However, unless you're offering double Cowen's value Ottawa tells you to piss off.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post

Tinordi is no Cowen, not in the physical department....

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Dagistitsyn

Why do you guys think Tinordi will be better than Cowen? I don't get it. I like Tinordi but Cowen is better. I know he is one year older, but he is just better, period.

Cowen has shown in the past and now he is better offensively and physically. I can see Tinordi matching him defensively and physically at some point. Just keep Tinordi and stay away from offer sheets.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:46 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Why do you guys think Tinordi will be better than Cowen? I don't get it. I like Tinordi but Cowen is better. I know he is one year older, but he is just better, period.

Cowen has shown in the past and now he is better offensively and physically. I can see Tinordi matching him defensively and physically at some point. Just keep Tinordi and stay away from offer sheets.
Pretty much what we're arguing it seems, Tinordi with 5 NHL games is in no way better than Cowen atm but it's not worth the offer sheet..... unless u want to stick it to Walrus and co.

poetryinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Depends the price but I'd obviously take him on the habs. Would make the young d core stronger. Not saying I'd overpay though.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
What about the potential repercussions, insofar as Ottawa offersheeting a Hab down the road?
Who cares? We have more money than them. And I don't think any good manager would really operate in a purely vindictive manner anyway. If they find a situation where an offer sheet makes sense for them, then they can go ahead and make one too. I would expect any team to operate that way independent of any motives of revenge. It's just part of the rules of the CBA, and if you end up in a situation where the benefit outweighs the cost on the player/$$$/compensation side of things, you should go ahead and make the move, regardless of "repercussions".

For us, needing a physical presence on defense, and having the cap space, you can look at Cowen, see a young guy who likely represents a solution to the team's most pressing lineup need, who would fit under the cap, and at the cost of a 1st+3rd in compensation... well, you are getting a player you can only "hope" to get with a 1st round pick in the draft and 5 years of development invested. So purely on that basis, the offer sheet makes sense. If it ticks off Ottawa and forces them to match at a higher salary than they wanted to pay him, who cares, it is a competitive sport and ticking them off should hardly be any reason to hold back.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 07-25-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:42 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

He should offer sheet a bridge contract to every single available RFA.

IOW: the day the Montreal Canadiens offer sheet anyone is going to be a pretty strange day.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Patty Roy

Sure i'd be happy with adding Cowen, but the Habs are not in a position to be able to offer him something that the Sens wouldn't match.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote