HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Abby or Huet???

Old
11-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

vCash: 500
This is what Carbo said after the game last night...

Coach Guy Carbonneau said he will soon make a choice between Aebischer and last season's goaltending star Cristobal Huet as his top man.

''We have two good goaltenders, but some point soon we'll start riding one that's hot,'' said Carbonneau. ''I don't know when, but we're close.

''David has been solid every game he's played this year. I think he's getting more confident every game. He makes saves look easy even when they're not.''

It definitely sounds like he is very impressed with Abby's play...but my gut tells me that he will be going back with Huet tomorrow night...which might actually be a smart move, considering how well Huet played in the playoffs against Carolina and how well he played in the last game against Boston!

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 11:33 AM
oop007*

Huet and Abby are in friendly competition. They are roughly of the same level of skill. Currently Abby is on fire and huet isn't. I suppose that when Huet is on fire they'll play him more. Makes a lot of sense actually because you can just play your hot goalie, he loses play the other one. Cycle until someone wins, use them until they lose etc. Seems to be working decently well with Abby atm. He's doing better then Huet is.

oop007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Turbo

Huet starting tomorrow vs. Carolina.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/216267.html

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 02:26 PM
mad_hab'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_Fever View Post
OK so who should get the start against the 'Canes on Thursday? I guess logically they'll go with Huet, but Aebischer has been standing on his head the past 2 games...
After watching that Ottawa game and finally feeling confident with our goaltender, I would say ride Aebischer for as long as he plays that same way.

Jose who?!

In Aebischer we have the hard working apprentice of Patrick Roy! Now im not saying he's Patrick Roy, but it definately didn't hurt him to watch Patrick on and off the ice during his days with Colorado.

mad_hab'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 05:12 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
so huet is starting tomorrow..

i got a lot of respect for carbo..but i dont like the way he handle the goalie situation.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 05:43 PM
One Trick Pony

if the game vs toronto was abby's second game in a row, i bet we would have saw huet yesterday

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Cristobal Huet

Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
We will know who our no 1 goalie is...

Saturday against New Jersey, boy, you don't start your backup against Martin Brodeur!

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:32 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve The Habs Fan View Post
Saturday against New Jersey, boy, you don't start your backup against Martin Brodeur!
Morency said the same thing Tuesday after the game, but I don't really agree.

11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
mcphee

I don't think Brodeur has any effect on Carbo's decision making. He said that he was getting closer to going more often with the hot goalie and he'll stick to his plan.

That's what I like about GC, he has a plan and he'll follow it through as long as it makes sense to him. Media questions or speculation mean nothing to him.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Drive425

My money is on Abby!

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:56 PM
McTusk

That means crap-all about who the #1 is. Especially this early into the season.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 06:58 PM
Kruky

I don't think Huet is getting a fair treatment at this time from reporters. He played very good against Boston and then gets benched vs the leafs. So he doesn't get a chance to ride from that game.

Granted Abby was very good against the Leafs so he deserved the start last night. but so did Huet last saturday. Carbo said Abby never had a ordinary night this season so far, what about the Colorado game.

So if Huet plays a good game vs Carolina, will he get benched on saturday?

Anyhow, I like both goalies (it's a big step up from Theo) although I prefer Huet. Looks like one will play two games and the other will play two games. I can go for that.

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 07:00 PM
habs86

vCash: 569
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_Scotia_Vees View Post
Abby is playing solid right now so i say stick with him for the time being.

stick with abby, he is hot right now...heck how can carbo see who is on a hot streak if they only play 1 game in a row?

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Sthabs

Wrong
Who plays tomorrow wont determine the # 1

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Teufelsdreck

Aebischer has kept the puck out of the net reasonably well but I shudder at the rebounds he gives up.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
My money is on Abby!

must be the reason you only have 25 v bucks left ?

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...dfe408&k=88765

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 12:38 AM
canadian_man_44

David Aebischer in 6 games has won 4, lost 1 in regulation and 1 in a shootout. He has a 2.6 GAA and .924 save percentage.
Cristobal Huet in 5 games has won 2, lost 1 in regulation and 2 in shootouts. He has a 2.93 GAA and .899 save percentage.

Personally I think Carbo should stick with Aebischer as long as he is playing as good as he has been. Replacing a goalie while he's hot can serve to cool him down and possibly take some of his confidence away. I think Huet needs some time to settle down. Seems like the big contract might be in his head and maybe he's trying too hard. Give him some time to settle down and I think he'll get back to the way he was playing last season.

Of course, Montreal could have been through this period with the new goalies years ago if they had only let Theodore go and kept the goalies that were playing better then him. For example, Tomas Vokoun, Mathieu Garon, Frederic Chabot and Martin Brochu. I watched all of these goalies play for the AHL Fredericton Canadiens before the team was moved to Hamilton. All four were better and more consistent then Theodore but they were all pushed aside. Vokoun and Garon have proven themselves in the NHL while Chabot and Brochu unfortunately found themselves stuck behind big money #1 goalies everywhere they played so they never really got their chance. Hopefully with Gainey as GM and Carbo as coach they will turn their trend of losing good young goalies to other teams and actually bring them up through their system to give them a chance in Montreal when they're ready.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 12:47 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_Fever View Post
OK so who should get the start against the 'Canes on Thursday? I guess logically they'll go with Huet, but Aebischer has been standing on his head the past 2 games...
I'm more comfortable with abby this season.

But so far, its been a 2 games played-2 games benched formula for the goalies.

So, Its no surprise that huet is starting tommorow.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_man_44 View Post
David Aebischer in 6 games has won 4, lost 1 in regulation and 1 in a shootout. He has a 2.6 GAA and .924 save percentage.
Cristobal Huet in 5 games has won 2, lost 1 in regulation and 2 in shootouts. He has a 2.93 GAA and .899 save percentage.

Personally I think Carbo should stick with Aebischer as long as he is playing as good as he has been. Replacing a goalie while he's hot can serve to cool him down and possibly take some of his confidence away. I think Huet needs some time to settle down. Seems like the big contract might be in his head and maybe he's trying too hard. Give him some time to settle down and I think he'll get back to the way he was playing last season.

Of course, Montreal could have been through this period with the new goalies years ago if they had only let Theodore go and kept the goalies that were playing better then him. For example, Tomas Vokoun, Mathieu Garon, Frederic Chabot and Martin Brochu. I watched all of these goalies play for the AHL Fredericton Canadiens before the team was moved to Hamilton. All four were better and more consistent then Theodore but they were all pushed aside. Vokoun and Garon have proven themselves in the NHL while Chabot and Brochu unfortunately found themselves stuck behind big money #1 goalies everywhere they played so they never really got their chance. Hopefully with Gainey as GM and Carbo as coach they will turn their trend of losing good young goalies to other teams and actually bring them up through their system to give them a chance in Montreal when they're ready.
I would say that Carbo should give them each 10 games and whoever has the better numbers and has looked most solid in net, should get the starting job.
BUT, that doesn't mean you sit the other guy on the bench, you still have to keep him in the mix and keep him fresh so if the starter loses 3 games in a row....you go with the backup for 2 or 3 games and then go back to the starter again.
Having that kind of competition between goalies where neither of them are sitting on the bench for too long is great. They both know that they will get their chance as long as they both keep playing well and competing.

In regards to your comment on Tomas Vokoun, Mathieu Garon, Frederic Chabot and Martin Brochu....I couldn't agree with you more. Just think of where the Habs would have been with Tomas Vokoun and Mathieu Garon in the net instead of THE-OPEN-DOOR!!!
Theo was OVERRATED from day one. He was never consistant the whole time he played in Montreal. He had a good run the year he won the Hart and Vezina....but that was it. Most of the time he would get a 3-0 shutout with 40 saves one game and then let 6 goals in before the first period was over in the next game....completely inconsistant. We have had great goaltenders in the past few years and because of poor management and poor coaching decision, we got stuck with Theodore as opposed to someone like Vokoun or Chabot.

Oh well.....Theo is gone now so no sense dwelling on the past....the present is here and the future sure looks bright.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2006, 03:28 PM
canadian_man_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Oh well.....Theo is gone now so no sense dwelling on the past....the present is here and the future sure looks bright.
Amen to that.

canadian_man_44 is offline   Reply With Quote