HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paajaravi-Schwartz-Tarasenko

Old
07-12-2013, 09:34 PM
ikeman79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
That's literally the only example I can think of like that. Perron is the guy I would say "lives and breathes hockey". I like Berglund as a player, and I think he's passionate and critical of himself. But I have never gotten the impression he puts in disproportionately more time than any other player.
Yeah Perron was the breathe hockey guy. I like Bergie, Ive met him a couple times and Perron, Perron is about Hockey, Bergie is about making googly eyes at my wife and the ladies lol. He is definetly a good player, I think he takes his job seriously, but I think he is more about life and love than hockey lol. Just an impression, not meant to be rude or offend. I would just say the eye contact, the looks. I am standing here dude, I know I'm not a professional athlete but really?? Lol oh well at least it was somewhat flattering I guess.

ikeman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 05:11 AM
Robb_K

I don't see Backes moving to wing.

I see the Roy line as the first line: Steen-Roy-Stewart, with the Backes line 2nd, but playing vs. the opponents' top line: Schwartz-Backes-Oshie

I see the berglund line 3rd: Sobotka/MPS-Berglund-Tarasenko

Then Lapierre's line 4: Sobotka/Porter-Lapierre-Reaves/Porter

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:23 AM
ikeman79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post

I see the Roy line as the first line: Steen-Roy-Stewart, with the Backes line 2nd, but playing vs. the opponents' top line: Schwartz-Backes-Oshie

I like those lines Robb! I think Roy is going to bring a lot of excitement to the ice if he can stay healthy. I can see Stewart really adding offense to his totals this year playing with Roy. Steen will also benefit. That's a fun line to hope for.

I like the second line with Backes also, a good shutdown line that can burn you pretty easy, a very good to elite 2-way line.

Berglund with MPS should be fun to watch. In international play they were very exciting. I hope Tarasenko can score some more goals this year. That is a really solid top nine.

Sobotka with Lapierre and Reaves should be something to watch, all 4 lines can skate, net you some goals, and are fast. That 4th line would probably be the best in hockey.

ikeman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:48 PM
jarmoismyhero

I am not sure what the right line combo is for these 3 guys but the furthest thing from my mind would be to play all 3 together. All three have huge potential that has yet to be seen at the NHL. Its unfortunate for these 3 guys that we are deep in the forward rotation as I think in order for all of them to strive they need to be in the top 6 and all getting PP time. There is just not enough to go around with Oshie, Backes, Roy, Stewart, Steen, and Berglund. It will be interesting how Hitch shakes up the lines but I hope he can somehow do it in a way to were at least 2 of the 3 really step up this year.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 09:50 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post

I like these however if Stewart can play the other side I would like to see Vlad on top line with Roy and Stewart and see how MSP does with Berglund and Steen.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Curious what people's definition for first and second line are.

I don't see Derek Roy and Chris Stewart playing more minutes than David Backes and TJ Oshie.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:16 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Curious what people's definition for first and second line are.

I don't see Derek Roy and Chris Stewart playing more minutes than David Backes and TJ Oshie.
I think the minutes will be very close if Stewart and Roy can produce together. I think it will be more of a 1a and 1b or 2a and 2b lines. With the minutes close depending on production each game.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 01:07 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
There was an article with Stewart last season where he mentioned him and other teammates were playing cards. Berglund was watching game tape on a flight. Berglund called Stewart over to him to watch a play and discuss what they could do better next time they are in that situation.

I am pretty sure other players like Oshie have mentioned this as well that he watches a lot of game tape always looking for ways to improve position communication ect on the ice.
Yeah I remember that article and it was somewhat surprising to read, but I don't think Berglund "breathes" hockey. I think he just finally realized that that's what he's SUPPOSED to be doing in the NHL.

I remember there was an interview with him and Sweden, and I saw it translated (pretty sure it was posted on here a few months ago maybe) and he basically said when he came here as a rookie he was just all about having fun and partying, and he didn't focus enough on hockey. But now he's learned how to be a professional.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Roy and Stewart should be glued together. He's the only playmaking center we have, and will contribute the most if Stewart is right beside him.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 02:16 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Yeah I remember that article and it was somewhat surprising to read, but I don't think Berglund "breathes" hockey. I think he just finally realized that that's what he's SUPPOSED to be doing in the NHL.

I remember there was an interview with him and Sweden, and I saw it translated (pretty sure it was posted on here a few months ago maybe) and he basically said when he came here as a rookie he was just all about having fun and partying, and he didn't focus enough on hockey. But now he's learned how to be a professional.
When he was still in Sweden, he hired a sports therapist to help him develop a better mindset for pressure and being a team leader. In the hockey world (I mean the real hockey world, not fans), if I recall correctly, people thought that was a mature and forward-thinking approach and that it spoke well of Berglund's drive.

Because of that, I think his partying here was more about getting distracted and falling into a culture of it as opposed to not knowing better in the first place. Some people can party and still perform or are good at hiding the side effects. Witnessing that can trick someone into making mistakes that are more detrimental to them.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:39 PM
allen wrench

I'm tired of work, so I'll take a break by fantasizing about our lines.

Steen / Backes / Oshie
Schwartz / Roy / Stewart
MPS / Berglund / Tarasenko
Sobotka / Lapierre / Reaves

Petro/ Bouw
Shattenkirk / Jackman
Polak / Leopold

I think Hitch would switch Schwartz with Steen to spread out some of the 2-way play, but my reasoning would be to play line one with Shatty/Jax and then Petro/Bouw with line two. Line one would shut down the other teams top line and hopefully line two paired with Petro/ Bouw would have enough defense to not be a total liability.

Our depth is incredible. That third line has the potential to really breakout. Sobotka on the fourth is huge. We should roll four lines all season. Some might call me crazy, but keep an eye on Reaves. He will push the third line because of his size and forechecking. Is it October yet? Back to work.

allen wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Quaz

I like these lines:

Steen / Backes / Oshie
Schwartz / Roy / Stewart
Sobotka / Lapierre / Porter
extra: Reaves, Cracknell

Petro/ Bouw
Shattenkirk / Jackman
Polak / Leopold
extra: Cole

I think Porter is a better player than Reaves, and would only put Reaves in when necessary depending on who they are matching up against.

The PP should be interesting. Hitch made it sound like they would be giving Tarasenko 1st PP time. I'm not sure what they will do, but I would roll with:

Tarasenko - Roy - Stewart
Bouw - Petro

Schwartz - Backes - Oshie
Steen - Shatty

This leaves Berglund, MPS, and Leopold on the outside looking in. It's good to have depth!

Quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:07 PM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

what about:

Steen/Schwartz- Backes-Oshie
Schwartz/Steen- Roy-Tarasenko
MPS-Berglund-Stewart
Sobotka-Lapierre-Porter/Reaves

STLBLUES44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

Don't want to see Stewart with Berglund myself.

Old
07-24-2013, 05:45 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Stewart and Berglund only works when Stewart is in Iginla mode and that's only happened when he was first traded here and during that short stretch this past season.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:47 PM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

I know where ur coming from... but they could also be good together... Stewart screening and beglund letting that wrister go could be a good combo with MPS on the left wing

STLBLUES44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
I know where ur coming from... but they could also be good together... Stewart screening and beglund letting that wrister go could be a good combo with MPS on the left wing
I feel like we've said that for years now.

Old
07-24-2013, 06:36 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Stewart and Bergy both need puck distributors with them.

Old
07-24-2013, 06:43 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Stewart and Bergy both need puck distributors with them.
Yup.

Well, maybe Berglund doesn't if he's not on a 'scoring line'. I'm not sure what role the 3rd line will be given. But MPS and Tarasenko as line-mates is a line I'd like to give a chance to first. There's some speed, some finish...and enough talent there to make opposing coaches get ulcers. If they develop some chemistry I could see Berglund be very effective.

Stewart on the other hand, the main point in obtaining Roy was to let Stewart be paired with a more traditional play-making center (a guy the Blues just don't otherwise have).

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:51 PM
allen wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaz View Post
I like these lines:

Steen / Backes / Oshie
Schwartz / Roy / Stewart
Sobotka / Lapierre / Porter
extra: Reaves, Cracknell

Petro/ Bouw
Shattenkirk / Jackman
Polak / Leopold
extra: Cole

I think Porter is a better player than Reaves, and would only put Reaves in when necessary depending on who they are matching up against.

The PP should be interesting. Hitch made it sound like they would be giving Tarasenko 1st PP time. I'm not sure what they will do, but I would roll with:

Tarasenko - Roy - Stewart
Bouw - Petro

Schwartz - Backes - Oshie
Steen - Shatty

This leaves Berglund, MPS, and Leopold on the outside looking in. It's good to have depth!
Porter is definitely the better skater. I just like the philosophy of having a heavy hitting bruiser on the fourth. But if we play a skill team (Detroit) I would play Porter.

The PP is a good problem for Hitch. A lot of configurations because of our depth. I would definitely find a place for Berglund on the PP because he has a heck of a wrister. I just hope Berglund realizes to score more that he'll have to shoot way more than he has in the past.

allen wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:30 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Yup.

Well, maybe Berglund doesn't if he's not on a 'scoring line'. I'm not sure what role the 3rd line will be given. But MPS and Tarasenko as line-mates is a line I'd like to give a chance to first. There's some speed, some finish...and enough talent there to make opposing coaches get ulcers. If they develop some chemistry I could see Berglund be very effective.

Stewart on the other hand, the main point in obtaining Roy was to let Stewart be paired with a more traditional play-making center (a guy the Blues just don't otherwise have).
Right. The role that Berglund currently has makes it unlikely to have the most ideal linemates, but the projected 3rd line has some intriguing potential. I am honestly more intrigued to see how that line performs than the Roy-Stewart line.

The only way Berglund can get a distributor is if Oshie is on his line, but Tarasenko won't be with Roy or Backes unless he breaks out in a major way.

Even a Schwartz-Backes-Oshie line is very intriguing because Backes gets 2 distributors and Backes will have less pressure, so maybe he can get back to being a 30 goal scorer. Ideally he faces 2nd pairing defenses, instead of 1st pairings, and maybe he only has to play 18-20 minutes, where he is much more effective.

Old
07-25-2013, 01:54 AM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Stewart and Berglund only works when Stewart is in Iginla mode and that's only happened when he was first traded here and during that short stretch this past season.
This could not be said any better and for some reason that makes me laugh.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:13 AM
BlueDream

Berglund-Stewart have actually done well together, surprisingly.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

I'd rather see Roy centering Tarasenko than Roy centering Stewart. Tarasenko has more scoring ability.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:06 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Tarasenko can create for himself and make something out of nothing, Stewart can not do that or at least do it consistently.