Notices

Early 2013-14 Season Predictions

Old
07-02-2013, 06:24 AM
ottsabrefan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Ya, I think Povorozniuk would be better suited on the third line. I know he has the numbers to support him as a top 6 guy, but he would need to improve his three zone play. Plus, I think that one spot is a big opportunity to upgrade.
I agree, it would be a big opportunity for improvement. I think they need a big, physical player to fill that role as they only have top 9 physical players in Crouse, Bennett, and Ikonen.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:09 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Any chance that since the Sabres let Lepkowski and then drafted Zadorov, that they keep him up because of their dire need for defensemen?
I was just about to post that I think you might be safe as the Sabres signed Sultzer and traded for Tallinder, bumping 2 young Dmen down to Rochester, giving them 7 down there. Then, the Sabres invited him to the prospect camp which starts tomorrow.

If he plays well over the next couple of days then he may get an AHL invite and possibly get signed with the farm team. If he doesn't that will likely be it for him as far as the Sabres are concerned.

Edit: And now he is signed with the Sabres :-)

Last edited by ottsabrefan: 07-10-2013 at 08:17 PM.
ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:47 PM
12Gage09

Bo Horvat and Max Domi will be back for the London Knights, Scott Harrington and Olli Maatta will probably both go to the AHL if they don't make the big Penguins. They need help on defence and with the Barrie Colts losing a few keys guys I predict they will have a good fall in the standings and Aaron Ekblad could become an option for the Knights.. the Knights didn't falter during last year's WJC break keeping their 24 Game winning streak intact for a few games but they didn't lose the scoring they will this year but either way a couple losses during that time won't do anything because they will run away with the West and cruise to the Memorial Cup as 3peat OHL Champions... Kingston should be a much better team. Erie will make the playoffs and maybe win a round.

12Gage09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:17 AM
EON
very ok poster

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Gage09 View Post
Bo Horvat and Max Domi will be back for the London Knights, Scott Harrington and Olli Maatta will probably both go to the AHL if they don't make the big Penguins. They need help on defence and with the Barrie Colts losing a few keys guys I predict they will have a good fall in the standings and Aaron Ekblad could become an option for the Knights.. the Knights didn't falter during last year's WJC break keeping their 24 Game winning streak intact for a few games but they didn't lose the scoring they will this year but either way a couple losses during that time won't do anything because they will run away with the West and cruise to the Memorial Cup as 3peat OHL Champions... Kingston should be a much better team. Erie will make the playoffs and maybe win a round.
C'mon man take the blinders off, I agree London is likely to win the west, and I would put them as the favorite to win the OHL, but saying they will "cruise to the 3peat" is a bit ignorant. And I think its pretty unlikely Barrie trades Ekblad, especially not to London. Maybe if SSM takes a fall they deal Nurse but I'm not sure I see that happening either.

EON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:15 AM
12Gage09

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
C'mon man take the blinders off, I agree London is likely to win the west, and I would put them as the favorite to win the OHL, but saying they will "cruise to the 3peat" is a bit ignorant. And I think its pretty unlikely Barrie trades Ekblad, especially not to London. Maybe if SSM takes a fall they deal Nurse but I'm not sure I see that happening either.
They finished last season with a 50-13-5 record with a 12 point cushion between them and 2nd place Plymouth Whalers. They are only going to get better already with the acquisition of 24th overall pick Michael MacCarron and some more moves to come to further stack the team. They will be in '05 London Knights territory as one of the best OHL teams ever assembled on route to sweep the Memorial Cup, beating Sidney Crosby and the Rimouski Oceanic twice. remember that year?? they went 29-0-2 to start the season and just last year had a 24 game winning streak. I would not say that's being ignorant at all... why wouldn't Barrie trade Ekblad to London. I think they will fall off quite a bit after losing Mark Scheifele, their goalie and a couple other players. The Hunters have players and picks to trade. they will get atleast 1 big name if not 2 or 3.

Old
07-24-2013, 04:39 AM
BigBuck

Quote:
They finished last season with a 50-13-5 record with a 12 point cushion between them and 2nd place Plymouth Whalers. They are only going to get better already with the acquisition of 24th overall pick Michael MacCarron and some more moves to come to further stack the team. They will be in '05 London Knights territory as one of the best OHL teams ever assembled on route to sweep the Memorial Cup, beating Sidney Crosby and the Rimouski Oceanic twice. remember that year?? they went 29-0-2 to start the season and just last year had a 24 game winning streak. I would not say that's being ignorant at all... why wouldn't Barrie trade Ekblad to London. I think they will fall off quite a bit after losing Mark Scheifele, their goalie and a couple other players. The Hunters have players and picks to trade. they will get atleast 1 big name if not 2 or 3.
What if Hovart and Domi don't come back? The loss of Hovart, Domi, Grifith, Broadhurst, Harrington, Maatta, Hughes, Ferry, Sefton could leave them with some holes to fill.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:57 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Maata cant go to the AHL,its either Pittsburgh or London because he was drafted from London not Europe
I doubt they cruise to the Mem Cup especially if Horvat or Domi stick,along with the losses of Broadhurst and Griffith

hockeylegend11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:07 AM
tjziel

Quote:
Yeah, I agree that Barrie will fall off a bit, but not too much actually because they are a relatively young team. A lot of their core players are '94 born players such as Brendan Lemieux, Andreas Athanasiou, Dylan Corson, Jake Dotchin, Erik Bradford, Jonathan Laser etc. plus a core '95 born players. So I would be very cautious in counting on Barrie out of contention. The only weak spots I see that could ultimately determine how much Barrie falls off are how they deal with the departure of Mark Schiefele?? They counted on him quite a bit as they potent offensive weapon so let's see who emerges as their offensive weapons and if they do it as a group. Also, I see poor goaltending as a problem next year. Unless Fotinos picks up his game from last year. I don't know very much about him other than the London-Barrie Final where he let in a goal in overtime so I'm not going to say it too poor, but the goaltending tandem has little OHL experience going into next year.

tjziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Snippit

Quote:
I don't think we see another 05 year for a long time. This team will be very good, but we're not cruising anywhere. Goaltending situation is still not 100% and the defence has holes to fill (bottom 4).

At the WJC, Knights are missing their 5 best players (McCarron, Domi, Horvat, Zadorov, Maatta). I have faith in our depth, but that's a tall order for any team.

Not to mention, Knights have tons of guys away at camp to start the year.

Knights will have a target on their back all year long. Nothing is going to come freely.

Also, for the last 2 years, the Knights haven't often been the favourites going into the season. 2012 was Niagara/Plymouth. 2013 was Kitchener/Plymouth. Most people predicted Plymouth to come out of the West last year. The only time the Knights nearly fell was when they were favourites against Barrie. I wonder if pressure or expectation will play a factor.

Snippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:39 AM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 535
Ottawa will make the playoffs.

McManked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Spitsfan67*

1. Knights
2.Saginaw
3.Erie
4.Soo
5.Guelph
6. Plymouth
7.Kitchener
8.Windsor
9.Sarnia
10.owensound

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:17 AM
EON
very ok poster

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
1. Knights
2.Saginaw
3.Erie
4.Soo
5.Guelph
6. Plymouth
7.Kitchener
8.Windsor
9.Sarnia
10.owensound
Erie in third? Bold, I like it, but I'm not sure we'll finish that high. Defense is going to be a big issue if Bassin doesnt make a trade. I think Guelph takes third.

EON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:58 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
Ottawa will make the playoffs.
Who are they better than in the East?

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:32 PM
dogfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Who are they better than in the East?
I don't know that Ottawa would be better then anyone in the East, but there is a group of four teams that are, IMO, that could be on the same level. I think Ottawa, Oshawa, Niagara and Mississauga are four teams that could struggle this year. I also think Belleville and Peterborough are in that second tier, where they are better then the bottom four but not better then the top four (Barrie, Sudbury, Kingston and North Bay).
Any of those bottom four could have a player or two develop better then expected and jump up to the next level but on the other side of the coin, are very low on depth and any injuries for a any length of time could really hurt.

dogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:45 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
1. Knights
2.Saginaw
3.Erie
4.Soo
5.Guelph
6. Plymouth
7.Kitchener
8.Windsor
9.Sarnia
10.owensound
I doubt Windsor finishes 8th,they despite scoring needs though they are in the top 8 in the OHL with goals returning projected,they also have 8 Dmen with OHL experience returning excluding O/As the most in the conference and the OHL
Here are rest of the western confernences teams quaniity of returning D excluding O/A with more then 15 games exp
Ldn- 4
Sag- 6
Guelph 5
SSM- 5
Erie- 5
Sarnia-4
Kitch- 5
Owen Sd-3
Ply- 4
Every team has weaknesses ,Ldn- D,Sag- D,Goal,Ply-Scoring,Owen Sd-Goal,D,
Gue- D,Goal,SSM,D,sec scoring,Kitch,Goal.D,scoring
Erie- D,Windsor-scoring,Sarnia-D,Goal,scoring in total rebuild

hockeylegend11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:50 PM
AK87
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfan View Post
I don't know that Ottawa would be better then anyone in the East, but there is a group of four teams that are, IMO, that could be on the same level. I think Ottawa, Oshawa, Niagara and Mississauga are four teams that could struggle this year. I also think Belleville and Peterborough are in that second tier, where they are better then the bottom four but not better then the top four (Barrie, Sudbury, Kingston and North Bay).
Any of those bottom four could have a player or two develop better then expected and jump up to the next level but on the other side of the coin, are very low on depth and any injuries for a any length of time could really hurt.
I had to sit down after I read this, Kingston being rated in the top tier of the east. I like it. Us Kingston fans have waited long enough for a decent team.

AK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:00 PM
12Gage09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
What if Hovart and Domi don't come back? The loss of Hovart, Domi, Grifith, Broadhurst, Harrington, Maatta, Hughes, Ferry, Sefton could leave them with some holes to fill.
it would be a huge loss if Horvat, Domi, Harrington, Maatta would be huge. even worse if Griffith and Broadhurst don't come back which I am hopeful they will. Hughes, Ferry and Sefton aren't as big of losses. Other guys will have to play bigger roles. Kyle Platzer will put on a snipe show with more ice-time. Remi Elie will be a dominant power forward. Rupert Twins, Chris Tierney and Josh Anderson will have to have strong seasons. Nikita Zadorov will be a big part of the Defence with Miles Liberati developing into a solid defender. Goaltending won't be an issue. Anthony Stolarz was getting tired in the playoffs, never having played that many games before in the U.S, He and Jake Patterson should split time with Stolarz remaining the #1. The Hunters will make the necessary trades and get 1 if not a few of the biggest names out there. Trade Possibilites: Aaron Ekblad, Sean Monahan, Darnell Nurse...

Old
07-24-2013, 07:03 PM
tjziel

Quote:
it would be a huge loss if Horvat, Domi, Harrington, Maatta would be huge. even worse if Griffith and Broadhurst don't come back which I am hopeful they will. Hughes, Ferry and Sefton aren't as big of losses. Other guys will have to play bigger roles. Kyle Platzer will put on a snipe show with more ice-time. Remi Elie will be a dominant power forward. Rupert Twins, Chris Tierney and Josh Anderson will have to have strong seasons. Nikita Zadorov will be a big part of the Defence with Miles Liberati developing into a solid defender. Goaltending won't be an issue. Anthony Stolarz was getting tired in the playoffs, never having played that many games before in the U.S, He and Jake Patterson should split time with Stolarz remaining the #1. The Hunters will make the necessary trades and get 1 if not a few of the biggest names out there. Trade Possibilites: Aaron Ekblad, Sean Monahan, Darnell Nurse...
Chances on London Knights players making the NHL or AHL:
(Note: Percentage is based on the playing sticking in the AHL/NHL)

Seth Griffith - AHL, 50% (Needs to develop more of a defensive game, but has dominated the OHL for 2 seasons)
Alex Broadhurst - AHL, 35% (Solid playmaking center, but needs to be better in the face-off circle before making the jump and contributing in the AHL.
Scott Harrington - AHL, 90% (Very unlikely he stays in the OHL, premiere defensive defensemen and the Penguins need depth in their farm system immediately. Don`t be surprised if he cracks the NHL lineup primarily based on his defense.
Olli Maatta - NHL, 15% (It is NHL or back to Junior for Maatta, and quite frankly I do not see him surpassing Dumoulin and Depres as the young D-man coming in. Plus, if they do need someone on D, why not just call up Harrington......)
Bo Horvat - NHL, 10% (I do think he will get some games up with the NHL team and that 10 game trial, but he needs to dominant the OHL, and put up 80 points this season in the OHL, and the Canucks will get the most out of him if he develops a consistent offensive game, so they bring him back to do just that.)
Max Domi - NHL, 5% (Similar to Nazem Kadri after getting drafted. Has tremendous flare, but needs to get a little strongs and a little faster, but not much. Has a tendancy to dangle too much and hold onto the puck, so not likely he sticks this year.)

tjziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:20 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
Chances on London Knights players making the NHL or AHL:
(Note: Percentage is based on the playing sticking in the AHL/NHL)

Seth Griffith - AHL, 50% (Needs to develop more of a defensive game, but has dominated the OHL for 2 seasons)
Alex Broadhurst - AHL, 35% (Solid playmaking center, but needs to be better in the face-off circle before making the jump and contributing in the AHL.
Scott Harrington - AHL, 90% (Very unlikely he stays in the OHL, premiere defensive defensemen and the Penguins need depth in their farm system immediately. Don`t be surprised if he cracks the NHL lineup primarily based on his defense.
Olli Maatta - NHL, 15% (It is NHL or back to Junior for Maatta, and quite frankly I do not see him surpassing Dumoulin and Depres as the young D-man coming in. Plus, if they do need someone on D, why not just call up Harrington......)
Bo Horvat - NHL, 10% (I do think he will get some games up with the NHL team and that 10 game trial, but he needs to dominant the OHL, and put up 80 points this season in the OHL, and the Canucks will get the most out of him if he develops a consistent offensive game, so they bring him back to do just that.)
Max Domi - NHL, 5% (Similar to Nazem Kadri after getting drafted. Has tremendous flare, but needs to get a little strongs and a little faster, but not much. Has a tendancy to dangle too much and hold onto the puck, so not likely he sticks this year.)
It's quite rare for signed prospects to come back for there OA year. I would definitely bump up those percentages on Griffith and Broadhurst.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:54 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
I don't think we see another 05 year for a long time. This team will be very good, but we're not cruising anywhere. Goaltending situation is still not 100% and the defence has holes to fill (bottom 4).

At the WJC, Knights are missing their 5 best players (McCarron, Domi, Horvat, Zadorov, Maatta). I have faith in our depth, but that's a tall order for any team.

Not to mention, Knights have tons of guys away at camp to start the year.

Knights will have a target on their back all year long. Nothing is going to come freely.

Also, for the last 2 years, the Knights haven't often been the favourites going into the season. 2012 was Niagara/Plymouth. 2013 was Kitchener/Plymouth. Most people predicted Plymouth to come out of the West last year. The only time the Knights nearly fell was when they were favourites against Barrie. I wonder if pressure or expectation will play a factor.
Well thought out post. Especially the part about the beginning of the season - they'll be missing a bunch of guys in NHL camp. Some of whom might be with their NHL teams into November.

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:56 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Trade Possibilites: Aaron Ekblad, Sean Monahan, Darnell Nurse...
Ekblad - Nope, he'll be in Barrie
Monahan - Will be in Calgary
Nurse - Maybe at the deadline

Old
07-24-2013, 11:16 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
The only weak spots I see that could ultimately determine how much Barrie falls off are how they deal with the departure of Mark Schiefele?? They counted on him quite a bit as they potent offensive weapon so let's see who emerges as their offensive weapons and if they do it as a group.
They'll be counting on some scoring development from younger players like Lemieux, Bradford, MacDonald etc. in increased roles. Labanc is a nice not necessarily expected boost and Kempe would be something if they land him, and they'll probably add another OA.

Incidentally, the Colts were 12-7-0-1 last season without Schiefele...that's not so bad. The bigger loss might be Camara, I'm not sure how they're going to replace him.

Old
07-25-2013, 01:38 AM
12Gage09

The Knights were definitely the favourite to come out of the OHL last year. 2 years ago they were a bit of a surprise when Domi and Horvat were rookies. they had a target on their backs all of last season as defending OHL champs and went wire to wire in 1st place winning the OHL and finished 3rd in CHL standings behind Halifax and Portland. They other teams always get up to play the Knights... Ekblad will be in Barrie until the Knights trade for him. with the Colts sure to fall from last year they may be willing to part with him and the Knights will be looking for the Biggest names in the OHL. if they can't get Ekblad there are other guys out there

Old
07-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK87 View Post
I had to sit down after I read this, Kingston being rated in the top tier of the east. I like it. Us Kingston fans have waited long enough for a decent team.
If Kingston is going to rely on Mahalak as its starting goaltender, the team had better be able to score goals by the truckload. He's not OHL starting caliber (and that is being kind).

Whalers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Mach85

It certainly seems like it's London's title to lose. Kingston has some real solid young talent, but goaltending could be an issue.

Mach85 is offline   Reply With Quote