HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Physical presence on defense

Old
07-24-2013, 05:47 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
No need for O'Byrne, Drewiske is more reliable.

Personally, I would be willing to trade Rafael Diaz to get a sandpaper-with-some-talent forward.

Subban-Tinordi
Emelin-Markov
Gorges-Drewiske

With some shifts of Tinordis going to Gorges so that Tinordi and Drewiske play around 15-18 minutes only.

I think this lineup gives us better ability to fight the cycle. Drewiske for one is able to pin guys and stop the movement. Tinordi is good in those battles too. This way, each pair has some muscle.
Not a bad idea... especially if Diaz has some trade value. I don't know if Therrien would relegate Bouillon to #7 but he probably should. In this scenario I would still like to see one more physical defenseman available, especially early in the season until Emelin is 100%.

A lot could depend on what Pateryn shows in training camp and pre-season. Why sign O'Byrne, for example, if management feels Pateryn is just as good or better

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:55 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
What the judge's opinion doesn't count for anything, guilty is guilty and when you plead guilty guess he was forced to say that, right?
From the Comcast website
http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow...testrouble/24/

Montreal Canadiens' defenseman Ryan O'Byrne was accused of stealing a woman's purse in a Tampa bar in February 2008. O'Byrne was released after posting $2,000 bail. The charges were dropped in July after he apologized to the victim and agreed to do community service in Canada.

Hmmm... I get that you don't like the guy and I am not advocating that he is a pillar of the community but don't be so naive as to think a lot of crazy stuff happens with a lot of pro athletes.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:07 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
From the Comcast website
http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow...testrouble/24/

Montreal Canadiens' defenseman Ryan O'Byrne was accused of stealing a woman's purse in a Tampa bar in February 2008. O'Byrne was released after posting $2,000 bail. The charges were dropped in July after he apologized to the victim and agreed to do community service in Canada.

Hmmm... I get that you don't like the guy and I am not advocating that he is a pillar of the community but don't be so naive as to think a lot of crazy stuff happens with a lot of pro athletes.
From what I remember it was to delete a picture of a married Hab (Im thinking Huet) on the girls phone? My memory is foggy about the situation.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Yeah Huet supposedly got his baguette wet and the girl took a picture and O'Byrne in a move to eliminate his rookie status in the locker room tried to delete the pic.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:28 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
From what I remember it was to delete a picture of a married Hab (Im thinking Huet) on the girls phone? My memory is foggy about the situation.
Yeah, that's pretty much the story I've heard. O'Bryne, who I believe was more or less a rookie that year, was apparently told to get the woman's purse in order to retrieve her cellphone and delete the photos.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We can't count on Markov. It's that simple. We couldn't count on him for the past two or three years and we shouldn't count on him now. Anything he does is a bonus. Play him (or trade him) but be prepared to have him go down because we've been burned too many times in the past.
I think you're overstating. Markov has slowed down, but there was no indication whatsoever that he was fragile. A year ago this board was going apesh*t over when Markov would blow a knee, and then he proceeds to play an entire season without missing a single game. He was the Habs' healthiest player.

That said, I think we have to accept a new normal for Markov -- less than the star he was, but still more than most defensemen in the league. As long as we don't expect him to play as many minutes or skate as fast as he used to, he will either be a valuable top-four D for us or equally valuable trade bait for a trade-deadline team.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:44 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Diaz needs to be traded, I don't mind the Bouillon re-signing because IMO him and DD44 are to be the 7th-8th dmen if it wasn't for Emelin being hurt.

But the lack of size on the back end is really hurting his, Price might have not had a good year, but he allowed the 2nd most goalies on the pk this past year, why because guys couldn't clear the front of the net.

I mean this past year, we had 1 d-men over 6'1 in the top 6, either Emelin, or Tinordi, thats a joke.

Now that Tinordi seems to be a look to make the team, I think with Emelin aswell, if Diaz is moved and we can grap another D-men with size it would great.

Heck with all this extra cap space and nothing to use it on, I'd trade Diaz to Philly for Meszaros and mid pick or prospect. Both guys 27, pending UFA, Meszaros has be hurt lately, but when lately and on his game is the better d-men and has great size.

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Gorges
Meszaros-Bouillon

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Yeah Huet supposedly got his baguette wet and the girl took a picture and O'Byrne in a move to eliminate his rookie status in the locker room tried to delete the pic.
That's what teammates do. THEY STAND UP FOR EACH OTHER!

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Forsead

I remember that once we had :

Markov-Komisarek
Souray-Rivet
Bouillon-Dandenault

While that wasn't the best dcorp ever, at least they made the players pay to get in the zone and were pretty good at clearing the crease.

It shows that toughness isn't the only important thing though, but IMO it shouldn't be overlooked especially in a defense squad.

I think the team should get a big physical guy to at least start the season without giving Tinordi all this work to do. Also, in an ideal world Drewiske is never higher than a 7th on the depth chart unless big time injuries and we already know that Emelin will miss some games. The best would get a top 4 guy, but I don't see one being available.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:58 PM
DanltQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Their is nobody on the UFA market that I like.

I think the upgrade on defense will come by a trade.

Maybe Ericksson from Detroit

We could offer Diaz. I think he played with Zetterberg and Brunner (UFA) during the lockout.

They have a need for RH defenseman.

Talking about Zetterberg and Diaz: http://cdn.25stanley.com/wp-content/...3swisshabs.jpg

DanltQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:17 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanltQC View Post
"His [Raphael's] mom came in with her friends, and we had a really good night"

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I think you're overstating. Markov has slowed down, but there was no indication whatsoever that he was fragile. A year ago this board was going apesh*t over when Markov would blow a knee, and then he proceeds to play an entire season without missing a single game. He was the Habs' healthiest player.

That said, I think we have to accept a new normal for Markov -- less than the star he was, but still more than most defensemen in the league. As long as we don't expect him to play as many minutes or skate as fast as he used to, he will either be a valuable top-four D for us or equally valuable trade bait for a trade-deadline team.
We've been burned too many times. I just don't think we can count on him for an 82 game season. Yes, he was healthy last year and that's great but I still don't trust those knees.

And let's not forget that the guy started the year scoring something like five goals on ten shots or something crazy... He really slowed down after that. I'd rather be paranoid than ill-prepared.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:43 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
We've been burned too many times. I just don't think we can count on him for an 82 game season. Yes, he was healthy last year and that's great but I still don't trust those knees.

And let's not forget that the guy started the year scoring something like five goals on ten shots or something crazy... He really slowed down after that. I'd rather be paranoid than ill-prepared.
I remember the same things being said about Koivu over a decade ago. It was bullsh!t.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:42 AM
Mr. Hab

My dream (tough top 4):

*Tinordi-PK Subban
**Emelin-Byfuglien
Markov-Gorges

*fully developed (or almost)
**improves his defense 101

Reality (we have to wait a year or two...as usual *sigh!*):
Tinordi-PK Subban
Emelin-UFA (2014?)
Beaulieu-Gorges
Ellis

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:25 AM
HTTP 400

vCash: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Also, if you watched him in Colorado or Toronto, you'd know he still isn't any good.
Yeah. O'Byrne is the antithesis of puck possession. All the guy does is throwing the puck on the glass and giving it back to the opponent.

HTTP 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Diaz needs to be traded, I don't mind the Bouillon re-signing because IMO him and DD44 are to be the 7th-8th dmen if it wasn't for Emelin being hurt.

But the lack of size on the back end is really hurting his, Price might have not had a good year, but he allowed the 2nd most goalies on the pk this past year, why because guys couldn't clear the front of the net.

I mean this past year, we had 1 d-men over 6'1 in the top 6, either Emelin, or Tinordi, thats a joke.

Now that Tinordi seems to be a look to make the team, I think with Emelin aswell, if Diaz is moved and we can grap another D-men with size it would great.

Heck with all this extra cap space and nothing to use it on, I'd trade Diaz to Philly for Meszaros and mid pick or prospect. Both guys 27, pending UFA, Meszaros has be hurt lately, but when lately and on his game is the better d-men and has great size.

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Gorges
Meszaros-Bouillon
The only way Diaz being traded makes sense is A-Markov gets an extension and B-Beaulieu is ready for top 4 duty. Neither of those things will happen before opening night, so it makes no sense to move Diaz.

Meszaros is bigger than Diaz but his play last year was well below Diaz's. People are way too obsessed with Diaz's size and not enough on his play and his ability.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Lshap

Quote:

Man, with all the talk about trust, expectations, fear of being burned, and the fascination with tall guys, this board is one Justin Bieber song away from being a teen-romance website.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I would be ok with Murray if we could get him on just a 1-year deal. He's not aggressively physical, but he's big and experienced and knocks people around in front of the net with real strength. He's slow and you'd have to minimize his minutes, but I think he'd still be ok.

I'm also fine with Fistric. He has a reputation for good character too, and hits hard. He is probably more risky defensively and gets out of position more than Murray, so I'm not sure you could rely on him to quite the same degree. Like, you might be able to use Murray on PK, but Fistric would be riskier. But he's younger, maybe there is still some learning he can do to help round out his game further.

O'Byrne is probably ok too. He's more mobile at least.

But these are all just depth guys, and if Emelin wasn't hurt and Tinordi had 1 more year of experience under his belt I don't know that I'd bother with any of them. But since Emelin *is* hurt, I think it would be worth a try to at least start the season with one, and see how our D shakes out thereafter.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:16 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Man, with all the talk about trust, expectations, fear of being burned, and the fascination with tall guys, this board is one Justin Bieber song away from being a teen-romance website.
made my day

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:58 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Cute post.

Reality showed that Ottawa exploited our undersized D in the playoffs.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:24 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Klesla+'14 3rd+'15 5th for Gionta w/ 2m retained?

Money is even. Montreal gets a top four type instead of settling for a 6/7 tweener. Klesla can play both right and left sides and is an excellent shut down D with some snarl and grit.

Anywhere near close?

07-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

Money is even. Montreal gets a top four type instead of settling for a 6/7 tweener. Klesla can play both right and left sides and is an excellent shut down D with some snarl and grit.

Anywhere near close?
I'd do it.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Anywhere near close?
The Habs probably don't want to trade Gionta and Phoenix doesn't want to trade for an injured player. That trade dies before it's even a possibility IMHO.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:33 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
The Habs probably don't want to trade Gionta and Phoenix doesn't want to trade for an injured player. That trade dies before it's even a possibility IMHO.
Tell me about the injury. I thought it was fairly minor? Muscle tear in the arm, or something?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 332
Quote:

Anywhere near close?
Sure

Kobe Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote