HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov's contract (updates in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2013, 06:50 AM
JoeFlyer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
He did pretty well, better than I expected, but that Streit contract is going to be bad. The Vinny one has a chance to hurt, too, although I don't think the risk is that great.
I don't think there's too much wrong with the Streit deal tbh. He's not played as much hockey in his career (especially at NHL level) so I'd say he has a decent chance of maintaining a good level for the contract duration and the money he'd getting should be counterballanced by bringing the likes of Morin, Haag and Gostisbehere through...

Old
07-24-2013, 06:56 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

The one thing about Streit that is why im not tooo worried is that he is a workout freak. Guy likes to keep in shape and if im not mistaken sai before summer atarted he had a regement that was going to get him back into old form. Seems like injuries messed him up. Time to see if him playing less hockey and him loving to keep in top shape can help him.

Old
07-24-2013, 08:02 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
I don't think there's too much wrong with the Streit deal tbh. He's not played as much hockey in his career (especially at NHL level) so I'd say he has a decent chance of maintaining a good level for the contract duration and the money he'd getting should be counterballanced by bringing the likes of Morin, Haag and Gostisbehere through...
He can always be bought out too. That's not the best scenario, but if he is really bringing the team down with that cap hit, he can be bought out and probably save 2-3 million.

Old
07-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He can always be bought out too. That's not the best scenario, but if he is really bringing the team down with that cap hit, he can be bought out and probably save 2-3 million.
If they wait one year, his cap hits would be 700K, 1.2, 3, 1.7, 1.7, 1.7 for a buyout

If they wait two years, his cap hits would be 1.1, 2.8, 1.6 1.6 for a buy out.

If they wait three years, his cap hits would be 2.5, 1.3 for a buyout

So basically, if they hate what they see after 2 seasons, his cap punishment isn't the worst in the world.

Old
07-24-2013, 08:35 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
If they wait one year, his cap hits would be 700K, 1.2, 3, 1.7, 1.7, 1.7 for a buyout

If they wait two years, his cap hits would be 1.1, 2.8, 1.6 1.6 for a buy out.

If they wait three years, his cap hits would be 2.5, 1.3 for a buyout

So basically, if they hate what they see after 2 seasons, his cap punishment isn't the worst in the world.
Exactly. I can't imagine a scenario where they would buy him out after one year, even if he really sucks. More likely I think it will be after two or three years, if necessary.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Curufinwe

Streit could also be traded after July 1st, 2016 and the team trading for him would only have to pay him $2m in salary.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:30 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Exactly. I can't imagine a scenario where they would buy him out after one year, even if he really sucks. More likely I think it will be after two or three years, if necessary.
I don't really think it'll be an issue. I can't see a point where he's so bad in 4 years that he needs to be flat out replaced. And as I said above you'd like to think at some point in those 4 years one (at least) of our defensive prospects will being coming through which saves us cap compared to how the D is paid now. Having a 3rd pairing guy earning that much for a year or two isn't such an issue if the other is earning under $1m, unlike now when we have 7 guys over £3.5m.

Old
07-24-2013, 09:33 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardds View Post
I love when people do this. They criticize a GM, get asked what they would do better as the GM, and then they use the old "I don't get paid to be a such and such" to save themselves. GTFO. Holmgren was clearly pressured by Snider that year for a new #1 goalie and Snider even openly admitted it in the press.
More like you GTFO. I love when people selectively quote.

There was no obfuscation. I made the statement and qualified it with the fact that I would have fired the coach going into this season and he will probably have to do so anyway like he did with Stevens. I criticized him that offseason for keeping Stevens and signing him to an extension and sure enough it almost bit him in the ass as he waited too long to get rid of him. Only Boosh and Giroux saved him..otherwise we were looking at no playoffs. He did what he had to do but again he was reactionary and again it shows how inconsistent the man is with his decisions. Even that year when we had to do salary dumps with Upshall, Metropolit and Vananaan(sp) to comply with the cap he screwed up the chemistry going into the playoffs which the players themselves lamented. Heck he's even admitted that he's been too reactionary and lacked patience so this is not some contrived criticism.

Once again..he's not necessarily a bad GM and yes he rights his wrongs but his decisions are all over the board. I agree that having Snider breathing down his neck doesn't help but like he said in his interview...him, Snider and Lukko have a lot of debates (his words). If Snider keeps trumping him and Holmgren feels he can't do the job he's paid to do..then if I were him I would resign and maybe that is in the works since Hextall has been brought in.

The whole Snider meddling..is another debate for another time....

BTW..ironically enough Meltzer in today's blog post has this to say about Lavi's job security and I agree. The only reason Lavi stuck around was b/c getting rid of him would have been an indictment on Holmgren himself since he didn't necessarily help the situation out last season with the way the team was assembled. Meanwhile, there were lots of good coaching candidates looking for jobs and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them that has been picked up wins coach of the year since lately that is how it has been going for the Flyers (Richards and Carter with a cup and Bob with the Vezina).

Quote:
Another interesting angle on Laviolette's selection to the Olympics -- one that the Flyers hope will be a non-issue come February -- is that his NHL job security could be tenuous this year if Philly struggles in the standings the way they did last season. If the Flyers play well, the struggles of the lockout-shortened season will be forgotten. If the team runs into trouble in the first half, there is at least a possibility that someone else could be behind the Flyers bench by the time the NHL breaks for the Olympics.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...ction/45/52991

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 07-24-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old
07-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Curufinwe

Bryzgalov was a terrible signing. Holmgren does not get a free pass just because Snider pressured him to get a top goalie.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:45 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Bryzgalov was a terrible signing. Holmgren does not get a free pass just because Snider pressured him to get a top goalie.
You can't sit there and say at the time it was a terrible signing. It wasn't the way I'd have gone (signed older vet and give Bob time to develop,) but it wasn't TERRIBLE. The contract was too long and too much, but how many of us really thought it'd be a problem in the first two years? Many speculated the contract would be awful in maybe the last 3-4 years, but not the first two. Hindsight is giving you the benefit of calling this a terrible signing. It wasn't. A terrible signing is signing Rick DiPietro to a 15 year deal or whatever it was after one year of play.

07-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Nah, a lot of people thought it was terrible at the time. The length was wayyyyyy too long for a goalie.

07-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Nah, a lot of people thought it was terrible at the time. The length was wayyyyyy too long for a goalie.
Everyone agreed the contract was terrible, but I don't think anyone foresaw Bryz being the disaster as a player that he ended up being. The consensus was that it was going to look brutal in 5 years.... instead of 0 lol.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:30 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Everyone agreed the contract was terrible, but I don't think anyone foresaw Bryz being the disaster as a player that he ended up being. The consensus was that it was going to look brutal in 5 years.... instead of 0 lol.
Yeah I think the general consensus was that the contract was not good, but the signing was. Some people wanted Vokoun and others wanted to stick with Bob (or a combination of the two), but even those people were ok with signing Bryz. It just was not a good contract. No one thought he would suck and Bob would win a Vezina.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:33 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I think the general consensus was that the contract was not good, but the signing was. Some people wanted Vokoun and others wanted to stick with Bob (or a combination of the two), but even those people were ok with signing Bryz. It just was not a good contract. No one thought he would suck and Bob would win a Vezina.
That's exactly what I mean. People may not have liked the direction, but I don't think anyone said Bryz was gonna come in and post sub .900 sv pct more often than not.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:35 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I know I didn't foresee that but there were people who actually did so they should be given credit in all fairness. Like I say..yeah the meme of hindsight is 20/20 should really be replaced with foresight is golden..especially if you are the one paid to have it..that is my contention.

My foresight is that keeping Lavi is a bad idea and I'm "sticking" to it. I wanted BOTH him and Bryz gone this offseason. Bryz was the most obvious of the two...

I sincerely hope I'm wrong...even if Lavi sticks around I think he'll show his true colors again in the playoffs..if they even make it which they should but with so much parity in the league it's going to be a battle and Lavi's teams have been inconsistent (which Holmgren said he would get to the bottom of this offseason...haven't seen the final report!) although not as pronounced as they were with Stevens!

Old
07-24-2013, 11:36 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I know I didn't foresee that but there were people who actually did so they should be given credit in all fairness. Like I say..yeah the meme of hindsight is 20/20 should really be replaced with foresight is golden..especially if you are the one paid to do it..that is my contention.

My foresight is that keeping Lavi is a bad idea and I'm "sticking" to it. I wanted BOTH him and Bryz gone this offseason. Bryz was the most obvious of the two...

I sincerely hope I'm wrong...even if Lavi sticks around I think he'll show his true colors again in the playoffs..if they even make it which they should but with so much parity in the league it's going to be a battle and Lavi's teams have been inconsistent although not as pronounced as they were with Stevens!
I'd advocate for a new coach as well. I get tired of the lack of adjustment, which is glaringly obvious over and over again.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:41 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I'd advocate for a new coach as well. I get tired of the lack of adjustment, which is glaringly obvious over and over again.
I agree. What's frustrating is that I think the Flyers will have a good regular season only to lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs when coaching matter most.

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

If Lavi needs over 20 games, an offseason to contemplate it, then another 10 games to realize the homerun stretch pass isn't working and finally keeps a forward back as a shorter outlet, I have little faith in his ability to adjust during a 7 game series.

Old
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I wonder who is going to be the player this year that time and time again gets minutes and doesn't get benched when it is obvious that he should be in the press box eating cheese doodles...

Old
07-24-2013, 02:46 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
You can't sit there and say at the time it was a terrible signing. It wasn't the way I'd have gone (signed older vet and give Bob time to develop,) but it wasn't TERRIBLE. The contract was too long and too much, but how many of us really thought it'd be a problem in the first two years? Many speculated the contract would be awful in maybe the last 3-4 years, but not the first two. Hindsight is giving you the benefit of calling this a terrible signing. It wasn't. A terrible signing is signing Rick DiPietro to a 15 year deal or whatever it was after one year of play.
signing the player wasn't terrible but that contract was just ridiculous. He was awesome before he came here. I was shocked when i heard 9 years and i just assumed circumvention which some of it was but the hit was too high too. The problem was the changes that were made to sign him. it was ridiculous. we've been a mess since then in terms of personel and execution of this system of ours. He was made a scapegoat. The contract was not his fault. He himself is not at fault. holmgren the general manager who makes all decisions is. He made some really great moves early and now he's just another bob clarke in there. Hextall will take over soon enough and at least he's seen a winner first hand.

Old
07-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Signing the player certainly wasn't bad, as you said Fung. I saw him in Phoenix, and while he definitely benefitted from their style, he was much better individually than he was in Philly...movement, positioning, puck tracking was all far better. I don't think anybody could have predicted a collapse to rival the Tacoma Narrows. There were reasons, pointed out by Phoenix fans and I believe a couple people here, to believe he wouldn't be as successful...but no reason to believe he'd suddenly become the worst starting goalie in the NHL.

Damn though, the contract was just so bad.

Old
07-24-2013, 03:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Signing the player certainly wasn't bad, as you said Fung. I saw him in Phoenix, and while he definitely benefitted from their style, he was much better individually than he was in Philly...movement, positioning, puck tracking was all far better. I don't think anybody could have predicted a collapse to rival the Tacoma Narrows. There were reasons, pointed out by Phoenix fans and I believe a couple people here, to believe he wouldn't be as successful...but no reason to believe he'd suddenly become the worst starting goalie in the NHL.

It was McCrossin's fault for making him fat physically and Snider's for making his wallet fat. Unfortunately, Bryz himself didn't play PHAT and according to him it was the media's fault or the system's fault....aliens etc

Old
07-24-2013, 03:57 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:

The contract was horrendous. its gone now tho. It was just so unnecessary. We could've gotten him for way less with a lot less term and things wouldn't have been so magnified on one area when there were so many other issues to focus on. I like our two goalies that we have now tho. nice and cheap and high in potential. no pressure. If mason plays at the level he did in those games at the end last year i have to look at this team as a contender, the only weak link would be laviolette.

Last edited by funghoul: 07-24-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old
07-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
If Lavi needs over 20 games, an offseason to contemplate it, then another 10 games to realize the homerun stretch pass isn't working and finally keeps a forward back as a shorter outlet, I have little faith in his ability to adjust during a 7 game series.
Honestly, last season didn't tell me that the homerun stretch pass was necessarily the problem, but moreso that we didn't have the personnel to execute that and therefore the adjustment needed to be made to compensate.

Old
07-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Honestly, last season didn't tell me that the homerun stretch pass was necessarily the problem, but moreso that we didn't have the personnel to execute that and therefore the adjustment needed to be made to compensate.
It stopped working in the previous year sometime in February, I believe...even when we had the transition guys in Carle and Timonen to pull it off.

Closed Thread