HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins #2 prospect

View Poll Results: Who is our #2 prospect?
Teddy Blueger (18, Minnesota State/WCHA) 1 0.83%
Nick D'Agostino (23, Cornell/ECAC) 0 0%
Brian Dumoulin (21, Wilkes-Barre/AHL) 4 3.33%
Scott Harrington (20, London/OHL) 12 10.00%
Eric Hartzell (24, Quinnipiac/ECAC) 0 0%
Tristan Jarry (18, Edmonton/WHL) 0 0%
Tom Kühnhackl (21, Wilkes-Barre/AHL) 1 0.83%
Olli Määttä (18, London/OHL) 101 84.17%
Matia Marcantuoni (19, Kitchener/OHL) 0 0%
Jayson Megna (23, Wilkes-Barre/AHL) 0 0%
Oscar Sundqvist (19, Skellefteå AIK Juniors/SWE) 0 0%
Dominik Uher (20, Wilkes-Barre/AHL) 0 0%
Scott Wilson (21, UMass-Lowell/Hockey East) 0 0%
Anton Zlobin (20, Val d'Or/QMJHL) 1 0.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2013, 02:36 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I love when you do this, Burgs. Once again - THANK you!

Old
07-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
I gotta go again with my boy Tom Kuhnhackl. It seems like most of the pens top prospects hyped on this site end up working at McDonalds eventually, so I am pulling for a dark horse.

Luca Caputi, Anegelo Esposito, Chris Bourque and Eric Tangradi say hello.

InKuhnhackleITrust
Your obsession with "Wingers" is so extreme that it's actually become entertainment to some around here Sir.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
Your obsession with "Wingers" is so extreme that it's actually become entertainment to some around here Sir.
I actually would like to change my name back to No Wingers but I am too lazy. I am not obsessed with wingers, the pens defensive prospects havent been given enough NHL playing time to be considered busts like many wingers who have graced us with their presence. I am sure over the next couple of seasons I will be forced to change my name to no defense if these defensive prospects are anything like their counterpart forward prospects.

Give it time, Bourtuzzo will be the next one to disappoint and will be waived. Despres is legitimate if he can learn how to stop randomly falling down when no one is around him.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Pretty much

I think the OP should consider making it 24 hours rather than 48
Nah. 2 days will be fine after we get the big guns out of the way. We need this puppy to last, don't forget.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Nah. 2 days will be fine after we get the big guns out of the way. We need this puppy to last, don't forget.
can't wait for the great Segalla vs. Birks debate.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
can't wait for the great Segalla vs. Birks debate.
you passed on a golden opportunity to make a great Dane pun there somewhere

Old
07-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Harrington.

Old
07-24-2013, 03:09 PM
rmartin65

Voted Harrington. Add Archibald.

Old
07-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
you passed on a golden opportunity to make a great Dane pun there somewhere
wasn't really in my wheelhouse. i'm not much of an animal person.

Old
07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
I actually would like to change my name back to No Wingers but I am too lazy. I am not obsessed with wingers, the pens defensive prospects havent been given enough NHL playing time to be considered busts like many wingers who have graced us with their presence. I am sure over the next couple of seasons I will be forced to change my name to no defense if these defensive prospects are anything like their counterpart forward prospects.

Give it time, Bourtuzzo will be the next one to disappoint and will be waived. Despres is legitimate if he can learn how to stop randomly falling down when no one is around him.
The Koon did not look good in the scrimmage, or in the A last year.... And he did not appear to have added the much needed weight we were hoping for either. Hope you are right though, would love to see him develop into a top 6 scoring winger soon.

You are a being ridiculous again with your comment about none of our defensemen having proven themselves though. 3 of them were key players leading their teams to League Championships and the Memorial Cup. And another one had a good AHL season and an excellent playoffs. They are all much stronger and more proven prospects than the Koon, and two more flashed top 4 potential with the parent club despite DB's no-rookies-allowed ways.

I put more weight on the majority of games last year where Bort looked good than the 5 or 6 that he struggled in. And I am predicting that Bortuzzo will be on our 2nd pair and playing a well rounded physical agitating game in 2015. We'll see who's right.

Last edited by Gallatin: 07-24-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old
07-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
I guess

It should start getting interesting with the next one between Dumoulin and Harrington

Old
07-24-2013, 04:26 PM
Ominous Grey

I voted Harrington. I'm more sure of him.

Though I can't really disagree with the Maatta votes.

Old
07-24-2013, 04:29 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Maatta.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
07-24-2013, 04:37 PM
mpp9

I see Maatta earning a spot out of camp next year. So I don't see the argument for Harrington since he's been pegged as needing a full year in WBS.

Old
07-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Voted for the same guy in both polls. Shame it looks like I won't be able to vote for him again in the next one.

Old
07-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I see Maatta earning a spot out of camp next year. So I don't see the argument for Harrington since he's been pegged as needing a full year in WBS.
Who says Harrington needs a full year in WBS?

He may...the Pens' system is notoriously difficult for defensemen to pick up. There's also the small matter of depth to leapfrog, but I have no problem seeing Harrington called up due to injury this year and acquitting himself well.

The argument for Harrington is that he's a more refined, more experienced, and simply better defensive player than Maatta. He's been the best junior-aged shutdown defenseman in the CHL (and maybe the world) the last two years.

Old
07-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Oli Maatta.

Old
07-24-2013, 06:03 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Who says Harrington needs a full year in WBS?

He may...the Pens' system is notoriously difficult for defensemen to pick up. There's also the small matter of depth to leapfrog, but I have no problem seeing Harrington called up due to injury this year and acquitting himself well.

The argument for Harrington is that he's a more refined, more experienced, and simply better defensive player than Maatta. He's been the best junior-aged shutdown defenseman in the CHL (and maybe the world) the last two years.
Dumoulin spent a full year there, despite having a much more NHL ready frame and coming from a team that used a similar D-zone breakout.

It won't be any easier to break through this year as Dumoulin will be ahead of Harrington on the depth chart in addition to at least 7 NHL caliber D-men on the roster.

I see next year as the first chance at our youth movement on D to break through. Nisky and Orpik will likely be gone. And we'll have slots to fill. Maatta is the far more dynamic player who has the poise and hockey IQ to step into an NHL role without needing seasoning in the A.

I think they'll make the NHL roster around the same time. And Maatta will be the superior player.

Old
07-24-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Wasn't he in The Lost Boys?

Old
07-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
I voted for Dumoulin. His ceiling may be thought of as lower than Pouliot, Maatta, or Harrington but I think he's closer to making his mark in the NHL.
I made the same choice for the same reasons.

Old
07-24-2013, 06:22 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Dumoulin spent a full year there, despite having a much more NHL ready frame and coming from a team that used a similar D-zone breakout.

It won't be any easier to break through this year as Dumoulin will be ahead of Harrington on the depth chart in addition to at least 7 NHL caliber D-men on the roster.
Yep, like I said, it's very unlikely he'll overcome depth out of camp, but I have no doubts about his ability to come in and be effective as a fill-in during the season.

Quote:
I see next year as the first chance at our youth movement on D to break through. Nisky and Orpik will likely be gone. And we'll have slots to fill. Maatta is the far more dynamic player who has the poise and hockey IQ to step into an NHL role without needing seasoning in the A.

I think they'll make the NHL roster around the same time. And Maatta will be the superior player.
We'll see. Having watched a fair amount of both in the OHL and WJCs, I have my doubts. Harrington was the go-to shutdown presence at every level, and while Maatta was obviously a better offensive player, he seemed pretty vanilla...decent all-around without standing out at any one thing.

Could go either way IMHO. There's something to be said for being the best in your age group at anything, and if there's anyone who oozes hockey IQ in our blueline pool, it's Harrington.

Old
07-24-2013, 06:42 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Could go either way IMHO. There's something to be said for being the best in your age group at anything, and if there's anyone who oozes hockey IQ in our blueline pool, it's Harrington.
Everything I've read and seen of Maatta has me excited. You could call Ryan Suter rather vanilla considering he's not flashy and isn't a bruiser. But he can effectively shutdown another team's top players, be your key guy on special teams and eat up 25-30 minutes a game.

Bit homerish to make the comparison, but he's only tracked upwards since the draft, and Suter was his NHL comparison by NHL CSS.

Old
07-24-2013, 07:13 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Anton Zlobin fer lyfe

Old
07-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Anton Zlobin fer lyfe
he took DP on a movie date the other night...sounds like a fun dude.

Old
07-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Everything I've read and seen of Maatta has me excited. You could call Ryan Suter rather vanilla considering he's not flashy and isn't a bruiser. But he can effectively shutdown another team's top players, be your key guy on special teams and eat up 25-30 minutes a game.

Bit homerish to make the comparison, but he's only tracked upwards since the draft, and Suter was his NHL comparison by NHL CSS.
You have to be careful when using NHL stars as comparables - there's a danger of basing judgements on who the better comparable is, rather than the individual.

I like Harrington's defensive instincts right now better than just about any prospect out there. He's been the more polished, effective presence in his own end. Maatta's been a good two-way guy, but he's left me wanting more. Preferring either one to the other is perfectly justifiable.

Closed Thread