HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder

Closed Thread

Old
07-13-2013, 03:03 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 500
Don't know why, but I have a feeling Max is getting shelled today. Maybe it's because the Rangers always shell the Tigers, or that Scherzer has really tough numbers against most of the Rangers' hitters. But I just got a feelin' that tonight's not gonna be a good, good night...

Old
07-13-2013, 05:00 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Davis with his 36th homer before the All-Star break. Judging by his play just last year, he's having a very "suspicious" year. He already beat last year's stats weeks ago. Don't think he did any PED's but with the current state of baseball it wouldn't be really surprising.

Also doesn't help Miggy that he plays at Comercia half the year. Really think that takes a lot of homers away from him.

Old
07-13-2013, 06:47 PM
WesNichols14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Davis with his 36th homer before the All-Star break. Judging by his play just last year, he's having a very "suspicious" year. He already beat last year's stats weeks ago. Don't think he did any PED's but with the current state of baseball it wouldn't be really surprising.

Also doesn't help Miggy that he plays at Comercia half the year. Really think that takes a lot of homers away from him.
I agree that Cabrera's stats are hurt by playing at Comerica, and if he was playing in New York he could be approaching 50. I know it sounds crazy but I honestly think that.

As far as Davis having a suspicious year I want to agree but its not even as crazy as a few years ago when Jose Bautista broke out. Davis last year had 33 homers. Jose Bautista had a career high of 16 that was 4 years before he had 54. I just hope Davis cools off towards the end, and Cabrera heats up if that is possible. I would love to have the MVP in the D for the third straight year

Old
07-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Encarnacion is an example of randomly breaking out too. A guy that hit like 15-20 HRs a year, then boom he hits 42.

Old
07-13-2013, 08:53 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

But we're talking 36 homers before the All-Star break. That's on pace for like 65 homers Pretty sure he'll slump soon enough *crosses fingers*

Old
07-20-2013, 07:46 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Man has JV lost it. Whenever he's in trouble he just tries to throw 100MPH fastballs by the guys and totally forgets about his secondary pitches. His contract is looking really scary.

Old
07-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
After signing Bonderman to pitch in Toledo (where he's done alright in relief), the Tigers have now signed Jair Jurrjens to pitch in Toledo. Looks like DD is just collecting as many arms as he can right now.

07-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Man has JV lost it. Whenever he's in trouble he just tries to throw 100MPH fastballs by the guys and totally forgets about his secondary pitches. His contract is looking really scary.
Prince Fielder's contract should be much more scarier IMO. Unless JV's arm goes dead or what have you. He'll be able to make adjustments. I wouldn't worry about the contract for now. In 4 or 5 years... That's another story. Maybe he turns into Billy Chapel

Old
07-24-2013, 10:14 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
After signing Bonderman to pitch in Toledo (where he's done alright in relief), the Tigers have now signed Jair Jurrjens to pitch in Toledo. Looks like DD is just collecting as many arms as he can right now.
Kinda pissed that they missed out on K-Rod, again. I wanted them to sign him when he was available for a minor league contract, and I wanted them to trade for him when he was available and didn't cost a ton.

There must be something DD really doesn't like about the guy, that's all I can figure. This team absolutely must have another very good bullpen arm if they're going to make a run in the playoffs. K-Rod has tons of closing experience and has done it in the playoffs to boot. Would have been a perfect addition. Instead the O's get him, and their bullpen was already solid. Not good.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:19 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
First I've heard about the Tigers signing him - I saw Bonderman back in April, when he was playing for Tacoma (AAA) down here against Fresno, and thought he got rocked around a bit, although I think it was his first start in forever, but then again I thought a former MLB starter would have better control.

On the other hand, the Tigers bullpen is what it is, so what's the harm?

Old
07-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Kinda pissed that they missed out on K-Rod, again. I wanted them to sign him when he was available for a minor league contract, and I wanted them to trade for him when he was available and didn't cost a ton.

There must be something DD really doesn't like about the guy, that's all I can figure. This team absolutely must have another very good bullpen arm if they're going to make a run in the playoffs. K-Rod has tons of closing experience and has done it in the playoffs to boot. Would have been a perfect addition. Instead the O's get him, and their bullpen was already solid. Not good.
According to Tom Gage, the Brewers' asking price was Castellanos.

Old
07-25-2013, 08:51 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
According to Tom Gage, the Brewers' asking price was Castellanos.
Not that I doubt it necessarily, but that's just stupid.

It's like asking you for a million dollars, and then when you turn me down, I take twenty bucks from the guy next door.

Obviously if you're the Brewers you ask for Castellanos, but when you get turned down, you then ask for someone else that's reasonable.

Similarly, I would imagine that the Brewers asked the O's for Bundy or Gausman and got turned down. Somehow or another they still got the deal done, for some AA schmuck.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:50 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH VERLANDER!?

The hot button issue of the day. Week? Month? Season?

A lot of theories out there. And while I don't know the exact issues he's having, I would bet my left nut that they stem from the metric ton of innings he has pitched in the last 2 or 3 years. Even for a horse like Verlander, that is just a lot of pitching. The dude's arm is wore out.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Hawkman

I'm a Wolverines fan. Besides the fact that they're good, why do you guys think we've only beaten the Buckeyes once since 2004?

Well I heard Mr Young sing about her, Well I heard ole Neil put her down, Well I hope Neil Young will remember, A Southern man don't need him around anyhow/If I leave here tomorrow, Would you still remember me? For I must be traveling on now,
Old
07-26-2013, 09:03 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
WHAT'S WRONG WITH VERLANDER!?

The hot button issue of the day. Week? Month? Season?

A lot of theories out there. And while I don't know the exact issues he's having, I would bet my left nut that they stem from the metric ton of innings he has pitched in the last 2 or 3 years. Even for a horse like Verlander, that is just a lot of pitching. The dude's arm is wore out.
I doubt he would ever go along with it, but they should seriously consider giving him a couple weeks off with a DL stint. Maybe that will recharge his batteries.

Then again, he's looked off for most of the season even when he was fresh. Hopefully it's something fixable.

Old
07-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
First I've heard about the Tigers signing him - I saw Bonderman back in April, when he was playing for Tacoma (AAA) down here against Fresno, and thought he got rocked around a bit, although I think it was his first start in forever, but then again I thought a former MLB starter would have better control.

On the other hand, the Tigers bullpen is what it is, so what's the harm?
I've always liked Bonderman and I hope he can put his career back together. I guess he's done well in relief in Toledo. If he can consistently go out and lock it down for an inning, it wouldn't surprise me if he's up in September for us. Jurrjens, too, though I guess he'll be starting for Toledo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I doubt he would ever go along with it, but they should seriously consider giving him a couple weeks off with a DL stint. Maybe that will recharge his batteries.

Then again, he's looked off for most of the season even when he was fresh. Hopefully it's something fixable.
He's struck out something like 31 guys in his last eight games. Still, I'm not sure his velocity is down, and his peripherals have been good for most of the season. What I've been hearing talk about is release point, and that his mechanics are just off. And watching the guy, he seems to be falling off the mound more on his follow through.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:54 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
He's struck out something like 31 guys in his last eight games. Still, I'm not sure his velocity is down, and his peripherals have been good for most of the season. What I've been hearing talk about is release point, and that his mechanics are just off. And watching the guy, he seems to be falling off the mound more on his follow through.
Not all arm injuries / fatigue cause velocity to drop, I don't think. And his velocity was definitely down earlier in the year. One way or the other he's off, and I hope they get him straightened out. Whether that's fixing his mechanics or giving him a breather.

It's incredible but Verlander might be putting himself into Lincecum territory. Hey, it worked for the Giants last year, but man...could he possibly be in the pen if they go to a 3 man rotation in the playoffs?

Old
07-27-2013, 09:05 PM
sarcastro

Oh ****, please tell me they pulled Scherzer after 75 pitches because the game was a laugher and he could use a breather?

Old
07-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Could the tigers have the Cy Young and MVP locked up?

Old
07-28-2013, 06:31 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
I'm a Wolverines fan. Besides the fact that they're good, why do you guys think we've only beaten the Buckeyes once since 2004?
Because the last years of Carr the program had gone stale and Tressel simply built the better teams, there was also some bad timing with the away/home games, if 2006 is in AA Michigan probably wins. Then RR tore the program down to build it up again and well that didn't work as well or as quickly as imagined. Since RR got fired we've still been hampered by low numbers and lack of elite talent.

We can hope that Hoke's recruiting successes translate to some memorable success on the field.

Old
07-29-2013, 09:26 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Tigers acquire Jose Veras for Vasquez.

Old
07-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
Tigers acquire Jose Veras for Vasquez.

Smarter move than having to overpay for someone like Papelbon. Veras can either be a setup man or close if Benoit falters. I'm sure that guy will love getting out of that hopeless organization to play on a contender.

Once again, Dombo avoids the unnecessary flashy deadline deal and gets what the team needs rather than getting the shiny toy the fans might want. Sanchez, Infante and Fister...all trade deadline acquisitions. The only asset of note given up in those deals was Turner, who is finally showing promise this season. Veras isn't elite but he's a solid bullpen piece.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:04 PM
sarcastro

Veras has a cheap option for next year too. Depending on who the PTBNL is, looks like a solid deal. Vasquez isn't doing so hot in low-A ball, and doesn't seem like he can field at all. With so many better OF prospects, they didn't need him.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Winger98
powers combined

From Danny Knobler tweet:

Quote:
It appears Tigers are getting Jose Iglesias as part of White Sox-Red Sox trade
Slick fielding Cuban SS from the BoSox. I see it being rumored that Avisail Garcia is the guy we're moving for him.

Old
07-30-2013, 10:15 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
From Danny Knobler tweet:

Slick fielding Cuban SS from the BoSox. I see it being rumored that Avisail Garcia is the guy we're moving for him.
Would rather not move Garcia. He's got crazy upside and Miggy is his perfect mentor.

Closed Thread