HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyle, Couture, Thornton, Vlasic; Pavelski & Niemi invited to Olympic camps

Old
07-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
It doesn't really matter what the facts are. He has a reputation, just like Carter or any random Russian player. The only way Marleau gets picked is if he starts the season as hot as he did this year.
It will have to stay longer then 5 games though. He can't go 9 goals in 5 games, 14 points in 5 games and then follow that up with 3 goals in 17 games and 4 points in 17 games.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:04 PM
BCShark

vCash: 500
someone bring up pattys stats in elimination games to prove me wrong that hes a big game player

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:05 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Do realize that these games will be on the "big ice", so players who skate well/better (including Mr-fastest-Shark-with-ground-eating-strides-Marleau) might need to be included.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:18 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Do realize that these games will be on the "big ice", so players who skate well/better (including Mr-fastest-Shark-with-ground-eating-strides-Marleau) might need to be included.
Indeed.

And have you noticed how Marleau played physical in the playoffs this year. I was surprised at some of the hits he was dishing out on the forecheck and battling in corners to recover pucks.

Maybe the fact that he was on the Olympic team last time meant he didn't need an orientation camp (unlike some other marginal candidates), that it may have been a factor given he was on the bottom end of the consideration list and may be looked to to play his way onto the roster if he has a good first half of the season.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:27 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I don't want Nemo going. I want him home with his family and rested. He's gonna play 70+ games this year, you can count on that. I don't even want him traveling to Sochi even as the 3rd guy. I want him resting, stretching, recharging with his family.
I'm not expecting to have more than 2 NHL goaltenders in the roster. So whoever of the trio (Rinne/Rask/Niemi) doesn't make it, will be replaced by some KHL guy, probably Vehanen.

At least that's my take. Backs is too old, Ramo will be in the middle of adjusting to his first season back in NA, as is Raanta and Lehtonen is too injury prone (and could use the rest the way Dallas plays him to be honest).

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Indeed.

And have you noticed how Marleau played physical in the playoffs this year. I was surprised at some of the hits he was dishing out on the forecheck and battling in corners to recover pucks.

Maybe the fact that he was on the Olympic team last time meant he didn't need an orientation camp (unlike some other marginal candidates), that it may have been a factor given he was on the bottom end of the consideration list and may be looked to to play his way onto the roster if he has a good first half of the season.
No him not being on the orientation list means as we stand today he is not even in the consideration to make the team. If this list meant nothing crosby would not be invited to it.

Barrie22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:48 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCShark View Post
someone bring up pattys stats in elimination games to prove me wrong that hes a big game player
just doing a quick glance

0 against LA 12/13

0 against STL 11/12

goal against DET in 2010/11

point against VAN in 2010/11

goal against chicago 09/10

0 against ana 08/09

0 against dal 07/08

i would argue LA/STL as outliers given the defensive nature of the LA series, and our general crappiness as a team in the STL series. but whatever.

of course...this doesnt include games where we eliminated a team though, or his playoff scoring record in general

Here is thornton by the same metrics:

thornton

0 against LA 12/13

goal against STL 11/12

point against DET 10/11

0 against VAN 10/11

0 against CHI 09/10

0 against ANA 08/09

0 against DAL 07/08

Last edited by do0glas: 07-24-2013 at 09:00 PM.
do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnderFunk View Post
Some of the USA's top forwards in alphabetical order (quick look based on camp invites, not locks by any means):

Backes, Brown, Callahan, Kane, Kesler, Kessel, Oshie, Pacioretty, Parise, Pavelski, Ryan, Stastny, Stepan, van Riemsdyk, Wheeler

That will probably be the 2nd or 3rd best forward group at the tournament. You could argue Russia is better by choosing star power (Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin) over depth but the forward groups from Czech Republic, Finland, Slovakia, Sweden and Switzerland are all worse in my mind.
Don't take offence to it, you guys are stacked on D and goaltending. I was merely referring to the fact that Pavs is a lock because the US depth isn't that great. Pavs wouldn't make the Canadian team but he's a lock for the US team probably for 2nd or 3rd C.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:37 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...as-trade-call/

(Non Shark) Player gets call to let him know he was invited to camp. His first thought in getting call from GM other than his own was that he'd been traded.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:30 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://translate.google.com/translat...g-anm-2013.php

Translated story. May or may not be the official list of camp invitees for Swiss Ice Hockey team. Mueller not included.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:05 AM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://translate.google.com/translat...g-anm-2013.php

Translated story. May or may not be the official list of camp invitees for Swiss Ice Hockey team. Mueller not included.
That looks like the Oylympic camp roster. Only reason I thought Mueller might be invited was for the same reason (many) young players were invited to other camps, simply as experience.

sr228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:08 AM
AnderFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
Don't take offence to it, you guys are stacked on D and goaltending. I was merely referring to the fact that Pavs is a lock because the US depth isn't that great. Pavs wouldn't make the Canadian team but he's a lock for the US team probably for 2nd or 3rd C.
Didn't take offence, I just think the US team is underrated and I think they were in 2010 as well.

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:10 AM
AnderFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
I might be remembering it wrong but wasn't he "Captain Clutch" at one point.
Yes, that is correct. Then he had 2 or 3 bad series and Thornton was traded here and brought that stigma with him. Marleau got lumped in with Thornton for how Thornton played as a Bruin.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:13 AM
AnderFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
of course...this doesnt include games where we eliminated a team
Don't those count as elimination games as well?

Also, shouldn't we be looking more at Marleau's international play as opposed to his NHL play? In my opinion we should, mostly because it makes him look better

Old
07-25-2013, 10:45 AM
El Nino22

I'm shocked burns didn't get an invite given his versatility over the likes of methot, mike green, Kunitz, Marchand

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:05 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
just doing a quick glance

0 against LA 12/13

0 against STL 11/12

goal against DET in 2010/11

point against VAN in 2010/11

goal against chicago 09/10

0 against ana 08/09

0 against dal 07/08

i would argue LA/STL as outliers given the defensive nature of the LA series, and our general crappiness as a team in the STL series. but whatever.

of course...this doesnt include games where we eliminated a team though, or his playoff scoring record in general

Here is thornton by the same metrics:

thornton

0 against LA 12/13

goal against STL 11/12

point against DET 10/11

0 against VAN 10/11

0 against CHI 09/10

0 against ANA 08/09

0 against DAL 07/08
Those really aren't great numbers.

Take away Marleau's space, and his offensive effectiveness is gone. Take away's Thornton passing options and clamp down on his lanes, and Thornton's offensive effectiveness is gone.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:52 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

https://thehockeywriters.com/seven-s...play-in-sochi/

THW has Havlat as being invited by the Czech Republic. Haven't seen link on nhl.com that is the case.

Old
07-25-2013, 12:53 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

https://thehockeywriters.com/seven-s...play-in-sochi/

THW has Havlat as being invited by the Czech Republic. Haven't seen link on nhl.com that is the case.

Old
07-25-2013, 03:20 PM
AnderFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Take away Marleau's space, and his offensive effectiveness is gone. Take away's Thornton passing options and clamp down on his lanes, and Thornton's offensive effectiveness is gone.
If (big if) both somehow made it they would be in a 3rd line shutdown defence-first role anyway similar to what they did in 2010.

Old
07-25-2013, 04:00 PM
vilpertti

How about adding Marleau's numbers from series Sharks won, not just the ones they lost... I seem to remember him being all over the Canucks for example.

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:19 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
The Swiss have plenty of experienced guys and Josi, Streit, Diaz & Sbisa already in the NHL. Didn't they just win the World Championships too? Not really surprised Mueller didn't make the cut (if that is their list).

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:28 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
The Swiss have plenty of experienced guys and Josi, Streit, Diaz & Sbisa already in the NHL. Didn't they just win the World Championships too? Not really surprised Mueller didn't make the cut (if that is their list).
Close enough.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:14 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Those really aren't great numbers.

didnt say they were great numbers. but its funny that marleau gets the big game ghost monicker and thornton gets a pass.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:02 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
Quote:
didnt say they were great numbers. but its funny that marleau gets the big game ghost monicker and thornton gets a pass.
He had it once and I think that's just proof that the clutch title is bupkis. Players aren't actually clutch, it's just a matter of luck most of the time.

hohosaregood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:26 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
He had it once and I think that's just proof that the clutch title is bupkis. Players aren't actually clutch, it's just a matter of luck most of the time.
agreed. i know there is an inherent tighter quality to an elimination game, but they will still fall prey to a small sample size, luck, and other random variances that occur. 3 points in 7 elimination games isnt great, but its almost .5 ppg in those situations.

i think the mistake comes in like you said trying to define something as "clutch". in terms of perception, had marleaus point totals been the same but we won those games he would be praised in the media as a leader, and doing the little things.

its a ridiculous notion given that just 3 years ago on big ice, marleau was 5 pt in 7gp. whatever.