HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - Pittsburgh

Old
07-24-2013, 07:16 PM
CMammoliti81

vCash: 500
Toronto - Pittsburgh

Doubt something like this would ever happen considering how deep the Leafs are with wingers, but what would Penguins fans think of this?

To Toronto:

LW - James Neal
D - Matt Niskanen

To Pittsburgh:

LW - Nikolai Kulemin
D - Jake Gardiner
D - John-Michael Liles
LW/RW - Tyler Biggs
1st Round Pick in 2014

Again, this is just for value purposes, I know it doesn't really address either team's needs and I know it may not make sense in terms of cap space. This is just a proposal for discussion of fair or unfair value.

CMammoliti81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Drennan57*
New Era

Enough with the Toronto proposals. At least wait until tomorrow.

Drennan57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Terrible for the Leafs.

Leafs don't have a Dallas Brad Richards or a Malkin to center a line with Neal on it so he can do nothing except fire shots all game dished by elite centers.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

James Neal is a non-starter. He is attached to Malkin's hip for the foreseeable future. He's on a great contract and has amazing chemistry with Geno. Easy no from the Pen's perspective.

Mo Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:22 PM
mr sidney crosby

No keep up the Toronto proposals. We have to put up with 50 Edmonton proposals a day. Also, I like the value going back to the penguins. Leafs get a 40 goal scorer and a guy that can give them minutes. The penguins get a lot of pieces meaning that can add some depth to the penguins roster.

mr sidney crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:23 PM
officialmark7*

Leafs fan saying no thanks.

officialmark7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:24 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Please stop, awful for Toronto.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:25 PM
416Leafer

If we're trading a package that includes Gardiner, Kulemin, 1st round pick, and 1st round prospect (Biggs)... We better be getting a young(ish) #1 C back. And a pretty good one, that package is decently better value than what either Richards or Carter got given the value of Simmonds/Voracek at the time of the trade.

Leafs have NO reason to trade for a winger. We probably have top 5 winger depth in the league. Its considered the least important position in hockey. We DONT need to give up valuable pieces to add a winger.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:34 PM
orby

This benefits neither team. Leafs aren't looking for a top-6 winger, Pens aren't looking for even more defensemen. Easy pass from both sides.

As far as value goes, I would have to say Toronto is giving up much more in this proposal. This would be brutal for the Leafs.

orby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:37 PM
CMammoliti81

Quote:
Originally Posted by orby View Post
This benefits neither team. Leafs aren't looking for a top-6 winger, Pens aren't looking for even more defensemen. Easy pass from both sides.
I don't think I asked if it benefits either team or not, I asked purely for fair value.

CMammoliti81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Jaromir Jagrbombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by orby View Post

As far as value goes, I would have to say Toronto is giving up much more in this proposal. This would be brutal for the Leafs.
This is my thinking also. Pittsburgh literally has 0 reason to move Neal for fair value, he's a perfect fit playing on Malkin's wing. And as others have said, Toronto doesn't need more wingers. Doesn't really make sense for either team. But purely looking at the value without addressing needs or anything, I would say Toronto is giving up a bit too much, although it's not like JML has any value at all.

Jaromir Jagrbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Beastly Bozak

Would do this for malkin

Not Neal though

Beastly Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:59 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMammoliti81 View Post
I don't think I asked if it benefits either team or not, I asked purely for fair value.
It's a bit of a weird question though, because it isn't some money transfer where you have an objective value printed on it. Gardiner has less value to Pittburgh than he may have to another team and Liles and his bad contract have negative value to them. You are trying to sell French spring water to a drowning man and get fair value.

Besides, we don't know where the 1st will even fall, so I wouldn't even be sure that Gardiner + late 1st + Biggs (the other three basically cancelling out) is that good an offer for Neal to begin with.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Zirakzigil

Gardiner and Liles are worthless for the Penguins. They wont trade Neal ever. Hes on a solid contract and a perfect fit for Malkin.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

The rare proposal that's terrible for both teams.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
Gardiner and Liles are worthless for the Penguins. They wont trade Neal ever. Hes on a solid contract and a perfect fit for Malkin.
Malkin and Kulemin have ridiculous chemistry in all fairness. And Gardiner is far from worthless to the Pens. Having Letang and Gardiner on your first and second pairing would be filthy.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:26 PM
LeafsNation149

Toronto does this why? they already have a locked top 6 they don't need another goalscorer especially when giving up one of our best players being gardiner

LeafsNation149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:28 PM

Pens get worse on the wing and add more defenders. Absolutely not. Dealing from an organizational weakness to get an organizational strength is bad.

Quote:
Value and team benefit might as well be the same thing.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:28 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Pens would win this trade hands down but Neal is locked down on a good contract and has insane chemistry with Malkin, so it's a nogo.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:29 PM
orby

Quote:
Why is value important if you know the proposal is absurd? There's not really any way to gauge the value of pieces of a trade that neither team would do.

orby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Quares27

Why sacrifice all that depth for James Neal when we already have some good scoring wingers? makes no sense

Quares27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Malkin and Kulemin have ridiculous chemistry in all fairness. And Gardiner is far from worthless to the Pens. Having Letang and Gardiner on your first and second pairing would be filthy.
Gardiner is a great player, but he'd be redundant on the Penguins. We have a plethora of PMDs both on the current roster and in the pipeline.

The chemistry Kulemin has with Malkin does not compare to the chemistry Malkin has with Neal. (Which is more proven over a bigger sample size)

As for the rest of the deal, the Pens would be moving Niskanen for cap space and because we currently have 8 dmen on the big league roster, and some other defensive prospects who could be fighting for NHL time but are waiting in the minors. So why would they trade Niskanen for a more expensive, arguably worse version of him who's signed for three years?

I know the OP keeps saying he's asking about value, but value is relative to team need and this doesn't help either team.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:20 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

James Neal isn't great without Malkin. Pass.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:59 PM
BeerMe

They say that you know a trade is good when both fan bases hate it. I believe this is the exception to that rule.

BeerMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:04 PM
JVRIELLYKADRI

What an awful trade for the Leafs, another top 6 winger would be redundant, I wouldn't trade Gardiner straight up for Neal, let alone add all those pieces.

JVRIELLYKADRI is offline   Reply With Quote