HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2013, 11:48 PM
God
Free Citizen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Got the CCM U+CLs over the weekend. Fits me so much better than my old skates. Can't wait to try them out tonight!
my feet hurt like hell

Old
07-25-2013, 12:52 AM
blackat
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Duchene View Post
Do you know if your skates are a D or EE width? D is narrow/regular and EE is wider. Too big around your ankle or heel?
I think they'd be D, I'm female and my feet were probably....size 7 Australian Women's back when I got them, but they were a little big on me. I'm an 8 1/2 now. I'll have to double check when I get them back from the sharpeners!

My problem is that I never knew how hockey skates should feel/fit before I looked around this forum. Crazy I know to spend ten years skating and not know most of this stuff haha! But the feeling I get from them (that I thought was normal) is that unless I really tie them up tight, there's just not enough control between my ankle and the boot, if that makes sense?

Old
07-25-2013, 12:03 PM
29MacKinnon29
Calder, what's next?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackat View Post
I think they'd be D, I'm female and my feet were probably....size 7 Australian Women's back when I got them, but they were a little big on me. I'm an 8 1/2 now. I'll have to double check when I get them back from the sharpeners!

My problem is that I never knew how hockey skates should feel/fit before I looked around this forum. Crazy I know to spend ten years skating and not know most of this stuff haha! But the feeling I get from them (that I thought was normal) is that unless I really tie them up tight, there's just not enough control between my ankle and the boot, if that makes sense?
I'm not a skate expert, but it sounds like they might be too big for you.

Old
07-25-2013, 12:04 PM
29MacKinnon29
Calder, what's next?

Quote:
my feet hurt like hell
You have to get used to them. Are they the right width?

Old
07-25-2013, 03:37 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Duchene View Post
You have to get used to them. Are they the right width?
Yeah they're the right width. I got fitted in them and they were baked. Guess ill have to break them in more...

Old
07-25-2013, 05:45 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:

Sounds like its time for a new pair. Heel lock is vital.

Old
07-25-2013, 10:06 PM
blackat
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Sounds like its time for a new pair. Heel lock is vital.
That's what I'm thinking too. Might be something I have to save up for! They're definitely not too big for me length wise, but I'm starting to realise they don't fit width wise. I might investigate some narrower brands this time!

Old
07-25-2013, 10:33 PM
AIREAYE

Sounds good, let us know how the search goes!

Old
07-26-2013, 06:25 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking too. Might be something I have to save up for! They're definitely not too big for me length wise, but I'm starting to realise they don't fit width wise. I might investigate some narrower brands this time!
I can suggest a skate I just bought: Bauer 7.0 skates. Got them at Pure Hockey for 300 bucks. Haven't gotten a chance to try them yet, but from everything I've heard they're a top skate. My brother tried them and said they're awesome, even thinks it helped with his shot.

07-26-2013, 06:26 AM
blackat
Rookie User

Thanks guys! My only problem is, because I'm female I need something that fits a little more snugly. I'm also pretty darn thin, so my ankles aren't too padded. I'm just gonna try on as many as I can until I find the perfect fit!

Old
07-26-2013, 09:29 AM
AIREAYE

An X7.0 or any high end skate is NOT what she would want, given what she is playing and what she is coming off of. That's why I would prefer if random models were not suggested just because that poster enjoyed them. Everyone is different and has different needs.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:16 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

What is the point of an advice thread then if the only acceptable answer is "try on different brands!" Nothing wrong with making suggestions based on what you have used. Obviously each person is different, but I have skated in nearly every current model skate (RBZ, Mako, APX, NXG) and found a decent fit in all of them, only variation really has been width from D to EE.

Old
07-26-2013, 01:32 PM
AIREAYE

Why not? because most of the time, it doesn't help. that piece of advice in getting what fits is penultimate but some people still believe that they can be fitted over the internet.

Last edited by AIREAYE: 07-26-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old
07-26-2013, 02:26 PM
jsykes

blackat, you may want to see if anyone in your area carries Graf skates. They offer a couple models that can be had in a narrow width which may help you out.

Old
07-26-2013, 07:43 PM
29MacKinnon29
Calder, what's next?

Quote:
Yeah they're the right width. I got fitted in them and they were baked. Guess ill have to break them in more...
They'll start to feel better after a few more skates

Old
07-26-2013, 10:54 PM
blackat
Rookie User

Oh man, sorry to start a bit of an argument! I'm really only slowly easing myself back into skating, so I'm not making any big decisions as of yet. I'm still waiting to get my skates back from the sharpeners so I can tell what was down to my skates being blunt, and what's down to ill-fitting skates. In the next 6 months I'm probably just going to be working on getting my skating back up to scratch before I move to the states. So no rush, haha!

I'm so pumped to be able to skate on sharp blades again though, I mean it's a small thing for you guys but my skates had been blunt for about 4 years, because I wasn't skating regularly enough to get them sharpened (although I should have), and I could never find a decent place. The last time I tried to get them sharpened at the newly opened Melbourne Ice Rink (or Icehouse, whatever it's called), I was treated so rudely by the guy behind the counter that I never went back.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
An X7.0 or any high end skate is NOT what she would want, given what she is playing and what she is coming off of. That's why I would prefer if random models were not suggested just because that poster enjoyed them. Everyone is different and has different needs.
So... Why not let her try them herself? I was only providing a suggestion based on some reviews by people who know the equipment. Ultimately, she needs to determine if they work for her or not. The only was to do that would be for her to try them, or ask an employee at a hockey store for advice on those skates. If they end up working out, great. If not, at least she gave it a try and now knows for the future.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:15 AM
blackat
Rookie User

Hey dudes, I have a name - it's Rhea! Haha.

I'm really sorry for causing a bit of a rift here, I just wanted some general advice because I'm beginning to realise there is SO much I don't know about.

Old
07-27-2013, 06:59 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Hey dudes, I have a name - it's Rhea! Haha.

I'm really sorry for causing a bit of a rift here, I just wanted some general advice because I'm beginning to realise there is SO much I don't know about.
Sorry Rhea.

No arguing here, I was just providing input on a skate that is supposedly high end for a nice price. Maybe AIREAYE is right and those skates are not good for you. All I meant was for you to try them on, not buy them right away. There's no harm in doing so.

If I created an issue, I apologize. I was just trying to provide a skate model for her to size.

Old
07-27-2013, 08:38 AM
1 Timer

I have been wareing bauer vapor 20's for 10+ years now. And its the best pair of skates I have had since my old 1000's. Well its time. I was wondering if I should switch to Graf. Older players like me love them any thoughts.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:03 AM
AIREAYE

Suggestions are appreciated, and there's really no problem with them. The point I was trying to make was that since Rhea was targeting a lower end model, there would not be a point in trying the top end one because it would not provide an accurate estimate of how they fit.

But obviously if the store hypothetically only had that skate in your size to try, it's better than nothing, and if anything, it gives you some idea of how models scale up the line.

Old
07-27-2013, 09:09 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Timer View Post
I have been wareing bauer vapor 20's for 10+ years now. And its the best pair of skates I have had since my old 1000's. Well its time. I was wondering if I should switch to Graf. Older players like me love them any thoughts.
The thing about Graf users I find is that those who like them are pure loyalists, so keep that in mind haha. If a good store has a viariety of Graf skates, that's probably your best bet. Unfortunately with Graf (and a reason why many dealers have opted out) is that they have TOO many different models, and it's not a good indicator of what's truely available on the market by simply going to a store that has only a few models. You really have to go to someone who knows the differences.

Since you're coming from Vapor, why not continue to look there?

Old
07-27-2013, 11:07 AM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Timer View Post
To start with, I'd agree with air in sticking with vapor and checking out the newer lines...probably staying away from the current top 2 models (apx2/x100) as they have the newer curv composite construction which doesn't sound like would fit your preferences. Maybe start with the x90 or previous gen x7.0, if you can find them, as they're basically the same as the top line x60 from a few years back and are essentially what pros are wearing who do not like the curv-based skates.

Sounds like you prefer that old "more ankle freedom" feel. If that's the case, maybe check to see if Easton's Mako's fit as they were designed for greater range of motion in the ankles.

I do generally tend to agree with Air in that Graf guys tend to be loyalists...I'm probably the exception to the rule as the g35's I currently wear are simply the best fitting boots I've found for my feet, but liked the x60's I wore for a few seasons just fine as well...the grafs just happened to fit me slightly better.

But it won't hurt to try. Aren't you a LI guy? If so, I think plaza sports(don't recall which one) supposedly has a pretty good selection of Graf (I think one of the Ferraro brothers worked out of there and he was a rep for Graf for a while). Then there's also west side s&s in the city who is known for their graf selection. Good luck!

Old
07-27-2013, 11:52 AM
1 Timer

Thanks Guys, I am in NJ and live between a Pure Hockey, Hockey Monkey, and not much further is a Hockey Giant. They have lots of skatsat each location and that is what got me thinking of making a switch. I coach, Ref , and play mens league according to most I've spoken to those old XX's were one of Bauers best products produce, which is why through that they have held up. I went to the HM and th wall of skates blew my mind. That is why I am asking around. I like the Bauers fit my whole life but at 40 I want to try somthing new. Again thanks for the advice.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:02 PM
AIREAYE

Well, it seems like you have quite the selection there! I say go crazy and try on as many pairs as you can without driving the sales staff up the wall haha.

Closed Thread