HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raphael Diaz Appreciation Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
I thought Gorges and Bouillon were both playing worse leading up to the hit. I don't think there's any doubt that he played the rest of the game shook up - especially as they got updates about the list of stuff Eller got messed up.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I thought Gorges and Bouillon were both playing worse leading up to the hit. I don't think there's any doubt that he played the rest of the game shook up - especially as they got updates about the list of stuff Eller got messed up.
Gorges has played embarrassingly bad all season. What has happened to him? No more mean to his game. He's been good for a ton of blown coverage far too often, including the 1st goal.

Bouillon is...Bouillon. He's limited. Can't ask for too much more.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:24 AM
Belenos

Interesting article on Diaz:

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/512223swisshabs.jpg

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I would like to see MB sign Diaz to an extension this summer...2-3 years at around 3 mil/year. 2 years 5.5 mil or 3 years 7.5 mil.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:25 AM
clarke19

People are saying we should trade this guy, but I think he still has quite a bit of potential. He was stepping up big for us last year.

He needs to be complimented with a big guy, not gotten rid of to fit one in. Once Markov takes a reduced role, he will step up big as a good puckmover with composure. Lots of guys try to be this kind of player in the NHL, but only a few make it look easy. Diaz has that potential.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post
People are saying we should trade this guy, but I think he still has quite a bit of potential. He was stepping up big for us last year.

He needs to be complimented with a big guy, not gotten rid of to fit one in. Once Markov takes a reduced role, he will step up big as a good puckmover with composure. Lots of guys try to be this kind of player in the NHL, but only a few make it look easy. Diaz has that potential.
I hope in the next year we sign one of him or Markov and move the other. Losing both in free agency would be dumb. Maybe extend both and trade one after Emelin comes back?

Old
07-24-2013, 08:59 AM
clarke19

I think we need 3 pure puckmovers to play our system effectively. Chicago won the cup wth 2 pure guys, and a bunch of guys who were no slouches in Seabrook, Oduya, and Hjalmarsson.

Right now we have Subban, Markov, and Diaz filling that role for us. The other 3 need to be established around what those guys bring and compliment them. Gorges is a warrior but had a bad year adapting to the system. Tinordi looks promising. Emelin fits the role well too. Without Emelin, Bouillon will play, which is not good. He might already play too if the coaching staff puts the veteran in instead of Tinordi.

Our biggest problem last year was a bunk Gorges and the lack of a developed Tinordi. Hopefully one or both of those is fixed this year. Both of those guns firing and a healthy Emelin, and our D-core compliments itself and our forwards quite well.

Old
07-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
Trade for Zetterberg

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:22 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarke19 View Post

It's not that people want to get rid of him... it's that you can't say "Markov needs a bigger guy", "Gorges needs a bigger guy", "Weber needs a bigger guy", "Diaz needs a bigger guy" and never let one or 2 of them go for a bigger guy...

Eventually you have to trade someone to get someone else. Doesn't mean you're trading a bad player, it means you're trying to address a weakness.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:05 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Gorges has played embarrassingly bad all season. What has happened to him? No more mean to his game. He's been good for a ton of blown coverage far too often, including the 1st goal.

Bouillon is...Bouillon. He's limited. Can't ask for too much more.
Gorges blocks shots well, but agree the rest, not so well. He can't clear the crease and repeatedly deflates our offense with the same old shoot the puck behind the net move from the point. He has little grit and no creative spark and plays "safe" is the problem IMHO.

Diaz could be a good guy on a D-corps that had more size and toughness, which is not the Habs' D-core, or the Habs as a team for that matter.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
"His mom came in with her friends and we had a really good night"

To be honest, if Diaz is dealt, or availabe I could see him fitting nicely in with Detroit.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:25 AM
S Bah

Diaz still has confidence issues, when playing under duress he makes poor decisions and always has to this point. If any defenceman the Habs have that needs a Pronger type playing with him, it's Diaz without a doubt. I was one that loved the talent he showed and still does, but he's useless in the playoffs, at least so far.

The Habs need another solid, big defenceman to complement Tinordi and Emelin. So that each pairing has size and grit to clear the front of the net. It was never more apparent than the playoff series against Ottawa and laughing boy McLean. He used the size advantage his team has against the Habs with surgical proficiency and the Habs were missing Emelin so badly it hurt to watch.

If I was the GM the next player on my agenda would be another Top Four Dman with size. Trade one of the PMD and a couple of draft picks and try to get Gudbranson or draft a top Dman this year. Insure that's possible by trading some of the players that don't fit the plans for the future, for 1st round picks to move up in the coming draft.

Solidifying the defence as Bergevin has done with the goaltending. With that taken care of the offence will be ready in two years, three tops.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
It's not that people want to get rid of him... it's that you can't say "Markov needs a bigger guy", "Gorges needs a bigger guy", "Weber needs a bigger guy", "Diaz needs a bigger guy" and never let one or 2 of them go for a bigger guy...

Eventually you have to trade someone to get someone else. Doesn't mean you're trading a bad player, it means you're trying to address a weakness.
Is it really a weakness though? If Emelin is extended, Tinordi and Pateryn develop along with potentially Ellis, Dietz and Beaulieu, size/physicality on defense is a non issue. If the real "contending window" opens in 2 years then all those guys could potentially be in their prime by then. Why waste assets acquiring something we may have internally?

Old
07-24-2013, 09:18 PM
clarke19

Quote:

If anything, Gorges needs to be that bigger guy. That or he needs to play a more solid defensive game. He could do neither last season, but the year before he did well I'm willing to give him another shot.

Emelin has that physical presence and was really adapting his game last year. He's made the transition. Hopefully his injury won't slow him down.

Tinordi/Bouillon has the potential to be our weakness or strength depending how well Tinordi developed over the offseason.

If Tinordi can improve on last season, Emelin comes back at 100%, and Gorges smartens up, our D-core has a great mix of physicality(Emelin, Tinordi, Subban), size (Tinordi, Emelin), speed(Subban, Diaz), puckmoving ability (Markov, Subban, Diaz) and defensive ability(Subban,Gorges,Tinordi,Markov).

Old
07-24-2013, 10:02 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I honestly always really liked Diaz, and only soured on him after that suicide pass....

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Habiton

I used to be a big fan of his but that suicide pass has taken a chunk out of that. I like him but in my mind he has become replaceable from a fan standpoint. Looking at it from management's view it would be better to let him start the season, catch fire and trade him for a kings ransom.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:26 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

He's definitely capable of being an offensive RD on the 3rd pairing.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:29 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

As much as nobody liked that suicide pass from 61, I can't see us trading him.

After Subban, our offensive depth back there is waning.

LLoyd Christmas I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:08 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd Christmas I View Post
As much as nobody liked that suicide pass from 61, I can't see us trading him.

After Subban, our offensive depth back there is waning.
Markov? Bealieau....?

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:12 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:

This!!!!

I like him as a player, good 5th d-men that can step into a top 4 role, but like you said, the size issue on defense needs to be fixed. Really hope he is moved for a bigger d-men.

With Emelin hurt, it looks like we'll again only have 1 d-men over 6'1, and thats if Tinordi makes the team after training camp, which I think he is a lock to.

Old
07-25-2013, 12:12 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Is it really a weakness though? If Emelin is extended, Tinordi and Pateryn develop along with potentially Ellis, Dietz and Beaulieu, size/physicality on defense is a non issue. If the real "contending window" opens in 2 years then all those guys could potentially be in their prime by then. Why waste assets acquiring something we may have internally?
You stated the key word(s) and phrases that will define Bergevin one way or the other.

"Potentially......something we may have internally..........."

I am of the opinion that potential is just that......potential. No Stanley Cups were won because a team had potential. Cups are won in the present, not on hopes for the future.

Does Bergevin proactively act to solve the needs of the Habs D? Or does he passively wait for potential to become actual with the risk of potential never becoming reality.

Our D right now is not the defense that wins a Cup.

Great post S Bah.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:42 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You stated the key word(s) and phrases that will define Bergevin one way or the other.

I am of the opinion that potential is just that......potential. No Stanley Cups were won because a team had potential. Cups are won in the present, not on hopes for the future.

Does Bergevin proactively act to solve the needs of the Habs D? Or does he passively wait for potential to become actual with the risk of potential never becoming reality.

Great post S Bah.
Well said, specially since none of those guys are really blue chip prospects, I mean maybe Beaulieu is, and is close to NHL ready, but he is still only 6'1, and needs to fill out.

Old
07-25-2013, 01:49 AM
groovejuice

Quote:

Great post S Bah.
How many Cups were won by a team that 3 years earlier had great potential?

This board has become so absurdly polarized that reasonable discussion and compromise is virtually impossible.

Too many here ( almost ) is some schmuck assuming his opinions are equal or better than the teams management. Many, in fact, presume to intuitively know just what the GM is planning!

So much hubris. So many egos. So little real intelligent discussion by so many.

Stop with the "I know all about high level NHL motivations and strategies. "

Our speculations are not facts, nor even generally plausible on a professional level. It's merely a bunch of opinonistas seemingly compensating for a lack of meaningful connection elsewhere.

I love this team and have for 45 years. But I do not feel a sense of entitlement. I feel pride having seen close to half of the 24.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Great post S Bah.
On the contrary, you can't win a cup without first having the potential. That's like saying I'll win the lottery without a ticket.

Bergevin isn't PASSIVELY waiting, he's added people to help develop the young players and gave them opportunities last year to see where their development is at.

You seem to want a Gainey(2009 version) quick fix, and we saw how that blew up in his face.

As I said earlier, no needs exist that there are no internal solutions.

In nets, Price can be 200% better than he was down the stretch. On defense, a healthy Emelin and a developped Tinordi are the missing elements.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

François Parenteau ‏@fparenteau 11m Au tour du Suisse Raphael Diaz d'être invité au camp de son équipe nationale en vue des JO de Sotchi http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...our-sotchi.php … #Canadien #Habs