HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Vaneks latest comments

Old
07-25-2013, 03:06 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Although, after reading the whole thing I understand why this guy isnt a captain. Grow some balls. These type of comments show how weak he is IMO.

Also, if this is what he tells Darcy I can understand why Darcy isnt trading him. Darcy probably doesnt even know if he can or cant get Vanek signed.
What's wrong with what he said exactly? When comments seemed to indicate he'd only be interested in playing for a contender people had a problem with it, now that he has comments that basically indicate he still has one foot in the door despite the fact the team is rebuilding, people still have a problem with it.

This comment is about the best thing he can say in my book. If he said he wants to be here no matter what, then he's a loser who doesn't care whether his team's garbage or not. He should be saying what he's saying.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:47 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
He's going to go it's just a matter of when.....I would love for the Sabres to wait till the deadline to deal him, and bring in a huge haul....But I think the wise move is to trade him while he is still healthy so we at least get something in return.

I could see Regier dealing Miller mid-season....I'm thinking when some team's playoff goalie goes down with an injury.

VaporTrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:58 AM
Luceni

Vanek wants to win the cup NOW.

Sabres doesn't want to win the cup for at least the next 2 years. They're rebuilding now.

Enough said.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:26 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Vanek wants to win the cup NOW.

Sabres doesn't want to win the cup for at least the next 2 years. They're rebuilding now.

Enough said.
Oh poor Vanek. I almost feel sorry for him. Making only $6,400,000 this year and he has to play for a bad team, too. Let's just hope he doesn't have to block any shots this year. I mean, what's the point of blocking shots for a team that's going to lose the game, anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Yeah, he should just say, I'm cool with losing, let's pay me and I'll just coast around and suck so we get a better draft pick, **** winning the stanley cup.

jesus ****ing christ
He's a ****** for creating such a bad atmosphere. Everything is just a matter of your point of view. Let's face it, we're going to suck next year. But you can also say that we're rebuilding and you can sell hope. Hope that things will turn around in the next couple of years and that we'll be a contender again. But you need to create optimism.
What Vanek does ist the exact opposite. He's creating pessimism. How do you feel as player, coming into a team with such a mentality? Your bottom six players are working their ***** of, blocking shots, making/absorbing hits just to give the team a chance to win. And your star player is like "What's the point? We're going to lose, anyway".

I'm not saying that he should lie about his situation, but he just should've said nothing. If he doesn't want to be on this team anymore, I'm finde with that. But please, go ahead to Darcy's office, tell him and ask for a trade. But just let the team in peace.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:57 AM
Luceni

I see your point, salzig, but:

It was darcy who said that the sabres are rebuilding.

Rebuilding = temporary losing to become a better team in future.

Vanek is in his prime now and he don`t want to waste his prime years on a rebuilding team.

In every off-season interview the past years, vanek said that his goal for the new season is winning the stanley cup as always.

Well you can't say that your goal is "to win the cup" wenn your GM said that the sabres are rebuilding.....

I can understand Vanek. he did anything the past 7 years to bring success to the sabres. Unfortunately, DR wasn't able to build a roster in this 7 years to be consistent contenders.

That' why the sabres are rebuilding and Vanek's leavong.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 06:38 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I have zero interest in watching Vanek or Miller in Buffalo ever again. Buffalo fans are funny with thier live of players....

Karate Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 06:44 AM
Clock

Probably could've done without the comments there, but I don't blame him for wanting to bail. I'm hoping he can be a pro and shut up about it for the rest of the season so that his trade value isn't hurt.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:01 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

So he says he's preparing like he always does because he expects to be back in Buffalo.

And no he's creating nothing, the fans are the only ones who make a big deal out of every word said.

There'll be a bidding war for Vanek, no matter if he says ZOMG I stay in BUffalo or ZOMG I'm not happy right now, but I still hope that the right young guys have been added to the roster.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:29 AM
umbertovanek

Wow. It's almost hysterical how people overreact to Vanek's comments, when they couldn't possibly have been more neutral or diplomatic.

Really guys, if it's such a big deal, why don't you invest those 3 min of your lives and listen to the whole interview, instead of basing your opinion on some cherry-picked quotes taken out of context.

Unless you wanna stick to pushing some kind of agenda, that is.

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Vaneks comments are meaningless. It's not in this teams best interest not to trade him, that's a simple fact. Who gives a **** what Vanek wants. I don't care about his personal goals.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:37 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate Johnson View Post
I have zero interest in watching Vanek or Miller in Buffalo ever again. Buffalo fans are funny with thier live of players....
I agree with Miller, with his attitude, even though he is "regarded" as one of the best goalies in the league.

But Vanek? He's been nothing but a good player to have, he doesn't ruffle any feathers, doesn't seem to be a locker room cancer, and he has been our most dangerous goal scorer for the past 6 years. The only knock on him, is he takes his slumps too harshly and it affects his play. If you want to say he is consistently injured then blame the coaching staff. He gets put into positions where the risk of injuries happen more. If he was used in positions where he didn't have to be covered by two guys at once, he may be able to play longer.

Just a little curious...

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:49 AM
umbertovanek

Quote:
Vaneks comments are meaningless. It's not in this teams best interest not to trade him, that's a simple fact. Who gives a **** what Vanek wants. I don't care about his personal goals.
Fair enough. But why are you posting in a thread titled "Vaneks latest comments" then?

Old
07-25-2013, 07:52 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbertovanek View Post
Fair enough. But why are you posting in a thread titled "Vaneks latest comments" then?
He's stating his opinion that his comments don't matter, which is fine.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I just feel that what Vanek wants, what kind of team he wants to play for, etc, don't matter. His reasons and justifications are irrelevant.

It's simple, "will you sign an extension that makes sense to the Sabres"

Yes or No.

If yes, sign it today, if no trade him ASAP.

Old
07-25-2013, 08:00 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
I agree with Miller, with his attitude, even though he is "regarded" as one of the best goalies in the league.

But Vanek? He's been nothing but a good player to have, he doesn't ruffle any feathers, doesn't seem to be a locker room cancer, and he has been our most dangerous goal scorer for the past 6 years. The only knock on him, is he takes his slumps too harshly and it affects his play. If you want to say he is consistently injured then blame the coaching staff. He gets put into positions where the risk of injuries happen more. If he was used in positions where he didn't have to be covered by two guys at once, he may be able to play longer.

Just a little curious...
Just ready to move on.

Vanek is very talented, but his injuries drastically effect his play even if he doesn't miss games. I don't want to tie up a lot of money in him at this point.

The Miller/Vanek/Pominville lead Sabres have been possibly the biggest disappointment in Sabres history. No fond memories, only under achievement.

Old
07-25-2013, 08:09 AM
umbertovanek

Quote:
I just feel that what Vanek wants, what kind of team he wants to play for, etc, don't matter. His reasons and justifications are irrelevant.

It's simple, "will you sign an extension that makes sense to the Sabres"

Yes or No.

If yes, sign it today, if no trade him ASAP.
Again, fair enough.

I think what Van's doing, if you really want to read something into this, is letting the organization know, "look, I wanna win hockey games and I wanna win a cup. I also happen to have a certain window of opportunity due to my age so show me your concept of how we're gonna achieve that goal together. If we can't find a way to do this, well, no hard feelings, let's find the best solution then."

One thing I really can't see here is an attempt to rock the boat, let alone be a locker room cancer.

Old
07-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

I don't think he's a cancer or a bad guy or anything. It's just that I'm a Sabres fan so Vanek career goals being achieved on Vaneks personal time table based on his age aren't important to me.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:20 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
I don't think he's a cancer or a bad guy or anything. It's just that I'm a Sabres fan so Vanek career goals being achieved on Vaneks personal time table based on his age aren't important to me.
Imagine if Derek Roy had made these comments. Or Miro Satan. Or Tim Connolly. Or Drew Stafford. It's weird how Vanek gets a pass. These are definitely poisonous words and I can't have this guy be a leader during the rebuild. That said, Darcy still has to maximize value.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
He was relatively diplomatic and measured in his tone, but I don't see or hear anything from Vanek that indicates he has much interest in being a Buffalo Sabre beyond the expiration of his contract. Even if they're more competitive than most people think they'll be next year, if they don't make the playoffs it'll be an organization that's missed the playoffs for three consecutive seasons, five of the last seven seasons, and hasn't won a playoff series in seven seasons.

Vanek wants to win, and he wants to start winning now. He'll have no shortage of suitors that want to add him to a mix that can and has won a lot more than Buffalo in recent years. Vanek knows this. Meanwhile, the Sabres are transitioning their roster, and Vanek also knows this.

At this point, I just don't see a realistic scenario developing wherein Vanek will want to re-sign in Buffalo. Deal him and Miller before camp to avoid the circus that's going to come to town if both are on the roster heading into the season. That's not a situation I want the young players to be around every day.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Were rebuilding, and Im hoping we have the right pieces to accomplish something. Im not saying Im old. At 29, Ive still got many years left, Vanek explained. But at the same time, you like to be on a team where you feel like going into camp youre contending. Youre not guaranteed to win a Cup, but right now in Buffalo I think were rebuilding which is not the best case scenario for me. But at the same time, theres a lot of good young players and hopefully we pick the right ones.
Seems fairly blunt. I don't get how realism is poisonous. We know Vanek and Miller are likely on the block. The players know this. The moves the team has made are rebuild oriented -- Gaustad, Leopold, Regehr, and Pominville. And they're going with a lot of youth.

I don't see anything that is burning any bridges, changing his preceived value here or in trade to someone else, or even that he's clamouring to get out. *shrug* It's a succinct and to the point.

07-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

If Darcy doesn't get some value for him, I will be livid. Miller, I can understand there not being a market for him. There should be no excuses for not getting value for Vanek.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Seems fairly blunt. I don't get how realism is poisonous. We know Vanek and Miller are likely on the block. The players know this. The moves the team has made are rebuild oriented -- Gaustad, Leopold, Regehr, and Pominville. And they're going with a lot of youth.

I don't see anything that is burning any bridges, changing his preceived value here or in trade to someone else, or even that he's clamouring to get out. *shrug* It's a succinct and to the point.
There's no conclusions to be made from this, but it's fodder for off-season discussion that some posters need to debate over. I'll stay patient and hope for my own best case scenario.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:08 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
If Darcy doesn't get some value for him, I will be livid. Miller, I can understand there not being a market for him. There should be no excuses for not getting value for Vanek.
The problem is the no. of quality UFAs coming up. Teams have to focus on their own guys first. It makes for a more difficult situation than usual.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:13 AM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Hopefully he plays out of his mind and someone offers way more than they should for him at the deadline.
that's the best case scenario, but in all likelihood he'll probably get banged up along the way

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Potential press circus regarding Vanek and Miller's status is another reason why pre-camp resolution of their standing with the team would be beneficial. It's doubtful the team wants the kids being around that sort of consistent distraction.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote