HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Best Skating Teams in the East

Old
07-25-2013, 08:32 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Best Skating Teams in the East

All of this talk about how slow the Devils will be got me thinking about the speed and skating ability of the teams in the East.

Where do the Rangers stack up? They have some of the fastest players in the league and continue to bring in good skaters both on offense and defense.

And as a side discussion whats more more desirable, speed or size? Or the right balance of both?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
All of this talk about how slow the Devils will be got me thinking about the speed and skating ability of the teams in the East.

Where do the Rangers stack up? They have some of the fastest players in the league and continue to bring in good skaters both on offense and defense.

And as a side discussion whats more more desirable, speed or size? Or the right balance of both?
In regards to the side discussion, I think you need the right balance of both. All speed and no size, you'll be something close to Montreal. A good team, but not contender worthy. All size and no speed, well I'm not sure of a good NHL comparable, but the result would probably be even worse due to the speed of today's NHL.

In regards to where we rank, it's interesting. We don't have great speed up the middle. Step and Brass are good skaters but they aren't incredibly fast. Richards has never been a fast skater and has slowed. Cally has good speed, as does Nash and Zucc (recently developed, but I liked his speed he showed this year). Hags is obviously top 5 fastest skater. As is kreider.

In regards to our forwards, I think we're somewhere in the middle of the conference. Our defenseman though I think we are better, more like top 10. Not because of their speed per say, but all of our defenders are pretty agile and are good skaters.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:43 AM
richardsequalscup*

Speed means nothing without puck control and finishers. You can be fast as heck but if you can't control the puck and bury chances, you're basically useless.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:43 AM
NYR Viper

The Rangers should be one of the better skating teams in the league, let alone with East. It's getting those players to play up to that speed that has seemed to be a problem. Kreider, Hagelin, Nash, Callahan, Dorsett, Moore. All very speedy players. Staal, McDonagh, Stralman and Moore are all very good skaters on the back-end.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:25 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Get Asham, Pyatt, and Boyle off the roster and overall speed will increase.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

I'd consider the Rangers to be in the upper half of the Eastern Conference in skating.

Kreider and Hagelin are our true speed demons, and Nash, Callahan, Dorsett, and D. Moore are no slouches in the skating department, either.

At center, oddly enough, the Rangers are only above average with Richards, Brassard, and Stepan. All three are cerebral players that can anticipate the plays. And judging from Richards' Tweets and FB posts, he's taking his conditioning seriously this summer so he'll start off running (or skating, for pun's sake ) come the 2013-14 season.

And the Rangers D-corps' mobility could definitely be the envy of the league. If you have a Fab Four of Staal, McDonagh, J. Moore, and Stralman, sure, they're not the crease-clearing "stay at home" bruiser that we lust over ever since Beukeboom retired, but they're quick and skilled enough to hold the blue line, force turnovers, join the rush, and pinch down low.

If AV is knowledgeable enough, he'll retain Tortorella's 2-1-2 forechecking scheme while implementing defensive zone breakouts and movement thru the neutral zone that would best utilize the elements that the Rangers have on forward and defense, and still maintain their diligence on the backcheck.

Last edited by Blue Seat Spartan: 07-26-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: typo
Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:17 AM
OverTheCap

Middle of the pack in terms of skating. We have some nice speed up and down the lineup with Kreider, Hags, McDonagh, etc., but we are lacking in mobility at the center position. Richards, Stepan, and Boyle have all struggled with skating at one point or another in their careers. Some of the teams we are competing against in the conference have centers with superior skating ability.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:26 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Speed and size help in the new NHL, but you need to have some hockey sense or at least some finishing ability to go along with them. Otherwise you have a team full of Darrol Powe's and John Scott's.

If you think of a speedy player with low hockey sense and good finishing ability you get a Grabner. I would hope that at the very least Kreider can become a Grabner.

Then you have your speedy guys with the full package. Those are the gems. Stamkos is the best example of this. The guy skates like the wind, has one of the best shots in the league, and is an excellent play-maker. I can only dream that that purported trade went through...

To summarize, speed and size don't mean much unless you can pass or shoot the puck.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Speed and size help in the new NHL, but you need to have some hockey sense or at least some finishing ability to go along with them. Otherwise you have a team full of Darrol Powe's and John Scott's.

If you think of a speedy player with low hockey sense and good finishing ability you get a Grabner. I would hope that at the very least Kreider can become a Grabner.

Then you have your speedy guys with the full package. Those are the gems. Stamkos is the best example of this. The guy skates like the wind, has one of the best shots in the league, and is an excellent play-maker. I can only dream that that purported trade went through...

To summarize, speed and size don't mean much unless you can pass or shoot the puck.
All speed and no hockey sense? That sounds like Rico Fata to me...

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:58 AM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
Best skating teams in the East IMO
1. Montreal
2. Pittsburgh
3. Ottawa
4. Boston
5. New York Islanders

We are a middle of the pack skating team with 2 studs in Hagelin and McDonagh

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:20 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
All speed and no hockey sense? That sounds like Rico Fata to me...
LOL yup. I hope that isn't Kreider's future. I'm much more confident in Kreider's ability to find a niche in the NHL under AV.

Old
07-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
LOL yup. I hope that isn't Kreider's future. I'm much more confident in Kreider's ability to find a niche in the NHL under AV.
For all the pining over Kreider's speed, he sure didnt use it much last season

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Sunshine

The Fata/Kreider mention is misinformed and plain Stupid

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

We're above average. I'm hoping Stepan works on his skating this summer, because he could be deadly if he was fast. Brassard can fly when he wants to, he needs to work on his consistency.

I'm feeling pretty good about our defense. Del Zotto and Girardi are the slowest guys, by far, and they're not slouches either. Hopefully AV doesn't pair them together, because that just did not work.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:00 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
The Fata/Kreider mention is misinformed and plain Stupid
Go on...

For the record I didn't necessarily compare the two. I just said that I hope Kreider becomes a useful NHL player for this team for a long time and isn't one of those highly touted prospect that ends up in Europe after a few unremarkable seasons like Fata.

Old
07-25-2013, 12:00 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
For all the pining over Kreider's speed, he sure didnt use it much last season
Torts had a really tight leash on him.

Old
07-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou

I'd say we're a pretty good skating team. Hags and Kreider are at least top 10 fastest skaters in the league. Then Cally, Dorsett, D. Moore, Brass (he really can skate but he doesn't show it of much), Zucc, And Nash can all skate and are pretty quick. Steps is an eh skater, so is DZ, their skating isn't great but rarely hurts them. Our real strength is our d-men's skating ability. Staal, McD, and Moore are some of the best skaters in the league, and Stralman is very solid in the department too. I would say we're just below top 10 in the league overall. But our d-men's skating should be top 5 in the league.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:13 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I remember Rico Fatass... curious, why do people always bring up no-name players? Is it supposed to impress others? I remember Johan Witehall... and Colin Forbes... Doug Lidster... Nathan Lafayette... Vitaly Yeremeyev... Barrett Heisten... cool?

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:23 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Tomas Kloucek... Filip Novak... Daniel Goneau... Christian Dube...

Old
07-25-2013, 03:29 PM
BobbyAwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
Speed means nothing without puck control and finishers. You can be fast as heck but if you can't control the puck and bury chances, you're basically useless.
Brings to mind someone who may be burying his chances at least in Dallas nightclubs soon?

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:13 AM
chosen

Gene Carr.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
I remember Rico Fatass... curious, why do people always bring up no-name players? Is it supposed to impress others? I remember Johan Witehall... and Colin Forbes... Doug Lidster... Nathan Lafayette... Vitaly Yeremeyev... Barrett Heisten... cool?
Rico Fata is pretty much the definition of a player with great wheels who couldn't put the rest of his game together at the NHL level. In a thread about skating ability, he's a great reference. So, for the matter, is Sjostrom, but at least he was a good PKer.

By the way, neither Lidster nor Lafayette belong on that list

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 10:28 AM
DudMan28

Watching Moore skate last year was a treat. Might not be the fastest skater, but in terms of overall skating ability he is incredible.

DudMan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:00 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

And Mcdonagh, the guy is just a flat out special skater. The best skating defenseman to lace them up for the Rangers since Leetch

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 07:56 PM
ltsthinaz

Loved the Herb Brooks teams of the early 1980's, speed galore with some size. I was always partial to good skaters up front (as long as they had ability, too - Gene Carr was exactly what everyone lese is referring to, fast as lightning and that's it), with size on the back line.

I think the Rangers are a good-skating squad. Need to get rid of plugs like Pyatt, et al.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote