HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #18 -

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Maybe it's just me but i really think SEA and SF get overrated
I think Kaepernick is overated but that 49ers team is legit especially on D

Seahawks ,, I want to see how they do this year before saying they are as good as hyped (This was a team that should have lost to Bears if not for Lovie Smith and Bears D failure)

Old
07-21-2013, 07:02 PM
madgoat33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Maybe it's just me but i really think SEA and SF get overrated
im not sold on seattle yet, but sf have give to 2 straight nfccg, won 1, and very likely would have won the other barring kenny williams' son.

Old
07-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Yea, let's extrapolate pace after a little over half a season. He's never received 1000 yards in his career and his career YPC is 11.8(its been going consistently down every season). He's one of those guys that can put up decent numbers on mediocre teams who will just give him the ball again and again. He's certainly not a great receiver, and I'd much rather have greg jennings on the bears than percy harvin.

As for the MVP nonsense, he wasn't even the MVP of his team, vikings 5-4 with harvin, 5-2 without him.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...mvp-first-half

Old
07-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
On what planet?

AP was talk of MVP from the moment he stepped on field and carried that team to playoffs

Jennings is 10x the WR that Harvin is
Until an injury sidelined him for the final seven games last season, he was in the conversation for league MVP.

http://m.si.com/2189304/harvin-may-b...-a-lost-cause/

Old
07-22-2013, 06:13 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
good thing the season is 16 games and not 8, huh? showed just how important he actually was the last half of the season. 5-4 with him, 5-2 without.

Old
07-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
good thing the season is 16 games and not 8, huh? showed just how important he actually was the last half of the season. 5-4 with him, 5-2 without.
He got hurt, doesn't change the fact that I was right. He was a MVP candidate before his injury.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:33 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Some candidate though if they proved in the 2nd half that he wasn't all that valuable.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Recoil

Quote:
He got hurt, doesn't change the fact that I was right. He was a MVP candidate before his injury.
He was, but...

I'm not convinced he should have been. He's a hell of a player, but that crappy WR corps I think made him look better than he is. I also didn't love his "I can't get out of here fast enough" attitude. Something wasn't right with that kid.

I'll be really curious to see how he performs in Seattle though, and if Russel Wilson can avoid the "Sophomore Slump" and get the ball to him enough to keep his ego happy.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Some candidate though if they proved in the 2nd half that he wasn't all that valuable.
Thats a ridiculous statement. This isn't basketball.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Illinihockey

I'm interested to see if teams figure out how to shut down the pistol/read option that took the league by storm last year.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:03 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Thats a ridiculous statement. This isn't basketball.
What is ridiculous about it? The MVP is for the player who is most valuable to his team, the guy that would be the hardest to replace, IE: Peterson last year. Without him that team is garbage. But they proved they didn't need him, so he's not that valuable.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
I'm interested to see if teams figure out how to shut down the pistol/read option that took the league by storm last year.
Read somewhere that a lot of NFL coaches were meeting with college coaches in the offseason to see how they stop it. A lot of it has to do with lane discipline, which is why GB got killed by it in the playoffs.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
What is ridiculous about it? The MVP is for the player who is most valuable to his team, the guy that would be the hardest to replace, IE: Peterson last year. Without him that team is garbage. But they proved they didn't need him, so he's not that valuable.
Because football is played by 22 players. Was Harvin the reason they gave up 38 points to the Redskins, 36 to the Bucs, and 30 to the Seahawks? Football more than any other sport is a team game and winning and losing rarely rides on the performance of one player.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:51 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

In the end, he wasn't very 'valuable'. They won with him and won without him.

Old
07-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Illinihockey

The MVP award isn't who is most valuable to their team, its who puts up the best stats. If that was the case, Jay Cutler would have won the MVP 2 years ago when he broke his hand. He clearly was more valuable to the Bears than any player was to their team in the entire NFL.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
In the end, he wasn't very 'valuable'. They won with him and won without him.
The Patriots won 11 games without Brady, I guess he wasn't very valuable either.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:13 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
The MVP award isn't who is most valuable to their team, its who puts up the best stats. If that was the case, Jay Cutler would have won the MVP 2 years ago when he broke his hand. He clearly was more valuable to the Bears than any player was to their team in the entire NFL.
Except you have to play to win it.

Could say the same thing about Manning when he went down.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:17 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootie View Post
The Patriots won 11 games without Brady, I guess he wasn't very valuable either.
Correct, the team was good enough that year they didn't need really need him. Would they won more games with him? Probably.

Old
07-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Cullksinikers

Von Miller is facing a four-game suspension for violating NFL policy.

A Broncos reporter was on ESPN and said it was a drug violation due to smoking reefer and popping X. That's immature high school ****. You're a grown-ass man in the NFL getting paid a lot of money to stay clean, perform well, and to be a building block/one of the faces of the Broncos. That dude needs to grow up.

Old
07-22-2013, 02:53 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
100 catches for 1200 yards isn't the best stats. Wouldn't have even been top 10. He's one of the most overhyped and overrated players in the NFL. Remember sidney rice when he was on the vikings? Something about that purple jersey makes NFL commentators go full re when talking about receivers.

Old
07-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
100 catches for 1200 yards isn't the best stats. Wouldn't have even been top 10. He's one of the most overhyped and overrated players in the NFL. Remember sidney rice when he was on the vikings? Something about that purple jersey makes NFL commentators go full re when talking about receivers.
Except he also was lining up in the backfield and probably would have ended up with 300-400 rushing yards and was an elite kick returner.

Old
07-22-2013, 04:24 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

vCash: 470
Harvin's really good, but he's a very limited receiver. That said, he'll shine in Seattle where they throw ALLL those deep balls and screens.

Old
07-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Except he also was lining up in the backfield and probably would have ended up with 300-400 rushing yards and was an elite kick returner.
Well, he WON'T be lining up in the backfield in Seattle, and he SHOULDN'T have in Minnesota. When you have AP as the running back, putting Harvin in the backfield in goal-line situations is just dumb, but that's what the Vikings did early in the season. They figured out how dumb it was about halfway through when they realized "hey, if we give this guy Adrian Peterson the ball, he will probably do something positive with it."

I agree with madgoat33, I think Harvin is pretty over-rated too. He's a solid talent, but they need to just let him focus on being a Wide Receiver in Seattle and hopefully he has a breakthrough year.

Old
07-23-2013, 01:58 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Well, he WON'T be lining up in the backfield in Seattle, and he SHOULDN'T have in Minnesota. When you have AP as the running back, putting Harvin in the backfield in goal-line situations is just dumb, but that's what the Vikings did early in the season. They figured out how dumb it was about halfway through when they realized "hey, if we give this guy Adrian Peterson the ball, he will probably do something positive with it."

I agree with madgoat33, I think Harvin is pretty over-rated too. He's a solid talent, but they need to just let him focus on being a Wide Receiver in Seattle and hopefully he has a breakthrough year.
problem is, hes really not that good a receiver. taking away running the ball and st's takes away the two things that really give him an advantage over other guys. though, theres also a reason very few receivers are used at all in those situations- it exposes them to more hits, and in the case of running the ball, often hits from bigger guys than youd see from receiving passes. cant really use injuries as an excuse for him when play calling/usage is a very likely contributor to them.

Old
07-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Hawkman
RIP Mr Cub

Quote:
Chicago Bears general manager Phil Emery said Wednesday that the team will not agree to contract extensions with any player, including quarterback Jay Cutler and several other notables, until after the season.

"We have a number of players that are under one-year contracts or their contracts will expire at the end of this season. That would be part of the planning process for 2014," Emery said as the Bears prepared to open training camp. "We are always open to dialogue with our players and with their agents, but I will tell you that with where we're at with our current salary cap and the room that we have in our cap in our efforts to put together a championship team in 2013, I do not anticipate that we will do any extensions of contracts during this season. All those will occur, with the players it will occur with, will happen in 2014 and not during the 2013 season."

Cutler said Wednesday that he's OK with the Bears' policy.
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story...sion-wait-2014

A pro team being smart for once. I love it.