HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Physical presence on defense

Old
07-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Tell me about the injury. I thought it was fairly minor? Muscle tear in the arm, or something?
He has a torn bicep, usually it's a 6 month injury, was operated on in May. If all goes well he could start the season, but it's also possible he misses 10-12 games.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:15 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He has a torn bicep, usually it's a 6 month injury, was operated on in May. If all goes well he could start the season, but it's also possible he misses 10-12 games.
Meh. Klesla misses games too.

07-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Klesla+'14 3rd+'15 5th for Gionta w/ 2m retained?

Money is even. Montreal gets a top four type instead of settling for a 6/7 tweener. Klesla can play both right and left sides and is an excellent shut down D with some snarl and grit.

Anywhere near close?
Makes sense for Montreal. Leaves their RW depth exposed a bit, although Galchenyuk and one of Briere/Desharnais (hopefully Desharnais) on the right side should alleviate that somewhat. Rusty at this point in time is a less effective Josh Gorges (with a touch more offense), but he's still an effective 2nd pairing D and helps shore up our defensive depth.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:34 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I would be ok with Murray if we could get him on just a 1-year deal. He's not aggressively physical, but he's big and experienced and knocks people around in front of the net with real strength. He's slow and you'd have to minimize his minutes, but I think he'd still be ok.

I'm also fine with Fistric. He has a reputation for good character too, and hits hard. He is probably more risky defensively and gets out of position more than Murray, so I'm not sure you could rely on him to quite the same degree. Like, you might be able to use Murray on PK, but Fistric would be riskier. But he's younger, maybe there is still some learning he can do to help round out his game further.

O'Byrne is probably ok too. He's more mobile at least.

But these are all just depth guys, and if Emelin wasn't hurt and Tinordi had 1 more year of experience under his belt I don't know that I'd bother with any of them. But since Emelin *is* hurt, I think it would be worth a try to at least start the season with one, and see how our D shakes out thereafter.

One of my concerns with a UFA D was the likely term you would need to sign a guy to, given most look for 4 year deals, and we have a lot of prospects. However, Im guessing many UFAs that are left, the lower tier guys anyway, are fretting a bit about not being signed. Fistric might be a guy willing to sign a 1-2 year deal and at least provide us with more size and physicality on the back end. That way guys like Patyrn, Ellis and Dietz aren't completely blocked out from being able to make the team in the next couple of years if they show ability. Then again, MB might think one of these guys can make the team on the bottom pairing real soon so that they don't need to pick up a guy now.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Dagistitsyn

Pretty sure Gio has a NTC.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote