HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Fishbowl? Duster or Not Duster?

Old
07-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Trumanperro

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Fishbowl? Duster or Not Duster?

As I approach the big 30 and I get into the corporate world I'm realizing that I'd like to keep my chiclets in tact. However, I'm so used to using my visor and I had a couple close calls. Back in the days of when I was required to use full face protection I used a fishbowl. I want to use a cage but I'm not sure how i'll adapt and a fishbowl now a days is considered a faux pas. I play both Ice and roller right now.

Has anyone here made that adjustment?

How long was the transition and how much does it affect your play?

If I use a fishbowl for Roller and Ice will it be considered "duster" material, or should I just say screw it and play with the fishbowl? Personally I like the way they look.

I know at 29 I shouldn't give a ****, guess I'm a little vain. Lol.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Wear what you're comfortable with. Fishbowls are making somewhat of a comeback.

However, if you're looking for full face protection and the best sty, CCM FM 480 if you can find one or an FM 580 in black is the way to go.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Redstreak

We have a fair number of people in my league with fishbowls, myself included. Never heard any chirping or anything about it.

Redstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Chanbing96

I went from a fishbowl to cage and loved the cage you'll forget it's even there while your playing granited I'm a dumbass right now with no face protection I prefer a cage

Chanbing96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:04 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I went from visor to fishbowl to a cage. A cage is just the most practical solution, I get the normal airflow and it doesn't scratch.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:09 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

The Bauer Re-Akt cage is the best option IMO, but it is also pretty expensive for a cage. It is very light and has the oval bars for increased visibility.

I have looked into fishbowls and combos before, but they are too heavy and why deal with the restricted air flow and fog issues.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Cams

As someone who just turned 40 this spring, and have had a few close calls - actually had a puck ride up my stick, under my visor and cut me in the eye area (had 7 stitches right on my eye lid, near the tear duct) - it was scary.

However, I still use the visor. I played minor hockey with a full cage. I am comfortable with, and know the risks of playing with a visor, so that is what I continue to use. But always wear a mouth guard - my teeth are important to me.

My advice - stick with what's comfortable for you, not what's "in" or "cool" for others.

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Jisatsu

After two cages being bent and made unusable in high school, I went with a fish bowl. My visibility improved, and I felt more confident on the ice. People trash talk fishbowls, which is funny because it's mostly guys with bug eyed visors.

If I had to go full face, I'd do the fishbowl. People talk trash about every thing. I'd just slap it on and just play.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:42 AM
TLow97

This is what I have:

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/9...7-41/?mtx_id=0

Unfortunately the price has gone up a bit since I bought mine, but it's probably my favorite face shield. Get the breathability of a cage and the vision of the glass.

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:30 AM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
This is what I have:

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/9...7-41/?mtx_id=0

Unfortunately the price has gone up a bit since I bought mine, but it's probably my favorite face shield. Get the breathability of a cage and the vision of the glass.
Style-wise I think this looks the best, in terms of full-face protection. I wonder if other brands make a similar one that wouldn't be so expensive?

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:43 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

If you're 30 years old you're WAY too old to care what people think about your choice of hockey equipment.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's a long of hockey slang.

I briefly tried a bowl and couldn't deal with the fogging and heat. I use a Re-Akt cage. I'd rather avoid the dentist than look good on the ice.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Devil Dancer

I've been wearing a fishbowl since I started many years ago, and I have never been chirped for it.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

I either wear full cage or no cage at all. It just depends on who I am playing with.

I am currently playing with a pretty up tempo group for shinny, so I go full cage.

No advice on making the switch though. I have never used any kind of visor. Just cage/no cage.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

Hella duster. Anyone I have ever played with that had a fishbowl got chirped, hard.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:11 PM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That's a long of hockey slang.

I briefly tried a bowl and couldn't deal with the fogging and heat. I use a Re-Akt cage. I'd rather avoid the dentist than look good on the ice.
Thank you for reminding me why I don't need a visor.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Thanks for the advice, I'm just going to give the fishbowl a shot this Saturday and see how I like it if not, I'll try the cage at a later date. You guys were very helpful. Thanks!

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:06 PM
jazzykat

I used to wear a Bauer 4000 + visor. Now I have a reakt combo, it feels just as light and I had about 0 adjustment time between a visor and the cage.

You don't need to buy a fancy helmet but the cage is really nice. IMO you are WAY to old to care about your appearance on the ice. Just buy some custom gloves or skates if you must be vain.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:45 PM
holden57

I think a fishbowl is funny. I'd way rather wear a fishbowl than a cage.

holden57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 04:02 AM
American in Paris

Went from visor, to shield-cage hybrid, to cage. Got sick of the fogging and scratching. After a couple skates with the cage you don't even know its there.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:44 AM
PuckyTheWhale

Fishbowls are definitely making a comeback. Just go with what you're used to.

If you're feeling really self-conscious, I would be worried about the fact that if you transitioned to a fishbowl, people would make fun of you for trying to fit in with the younger kids who are slowly moving back towards fishbowls.

How's that for reverse psychology?

PuckyTheWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 09:39 AM
Thesensation19

Honestly its pretty dumb for any player to play without a cage. Look at Crosby, one of the best in the world. The most innocent thing, a puck gets deflected from in front of the net toward him who was on the side and clocks him in the jaw only to break it.

Forget toughness, injuries, glass jaws or whatever you want to talk about. Because of that innocent little play he becomes injured and is out for that entire game. And out for the remainder of the season. Simply because he does not wear a cage lol.

If he wears a cage, Crosby goes on to crush the Islander in that game and probably goes on to have 2 points per game and win the MVP and probably set his team up with the best chemistry for a stronger playoff run.

I understand we like comfort, we hate the vision impairement it causes. But it was the same with helmets. Soviets were it regularly because they knew it would keep them protected. Protected so they can play at the top level at all times.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Honestly its pretty dumb for any player to play without a cage. Look at Crosby, one of the best in the world. The most innocent thing, a puck gets deflected from in front of the net toward him who was on the side and clocks him in the jaw only to break it.

Forget toughness, injuries, glass jaws or whatever you want to talk about. Because of that innocent little play he becomes injured and is out for that entire game. And out for the remainder of the season. Simply because he does not wear a cage lol.

If he wears a cage, Crosby goes on to crush the Islander in that game and probably goes on to have 2 points per game and win the MVP and probably set his team up with the best chemistry for a stronger playoff run.

I understand we like comfort, we hate the vision impairement it causes. But it was the same with helmets. Soviets were it regularly because they knew it would keep them protected. Protected so they can play at the top level at all times.
Um, he doesn't wear a cage for the same reason all other NHLers don't wear cages. It's outlawed equipment unless a player has an injury.

Not that they would wear a cage if they could anyways....

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:25 PM
PuckyTheWhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maupin Fan View Post
Um, he doesn't wear a cage for the same reason all other NHLers don't wear cages. It's outlawed equipment unless a player has an injury.

Not that they would wear a cage if they could anyways....
did you just make that up?

Old
07-26-2013, 12:28 PM
PuckyTheWhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post

Disagree. There's a big difference from taking a deflected shot in the jaw from a 95 mph slapper and facing a deflected shot in a beer league.

I personally prefer wearing a half shield because its substantially lighter than a cage and the whole improved vision thing.