HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2013 Minnesota #1 Prospect

View Poll Results: Who is the best Minnesota Wild prospect?
Brett Bulmer 0 0%
Raphael Bussieres 0 0%
Charlie Coyle 32 27.35%
Mathew Dumba 7 5.98%
Kurtis Gabriel 1 0.85%
Mikael Granlund 63 53.85%
Johan Gustafsson 0 0%
Erik Haula 1 0.85%
Dylan Labbe 0 0%
Mario Lucia 0 0%
Nino Niederreiter 10 8.55%
Gustav Olofsson 1 0.85%
Zack Phillips 0 0%
Jason Zucker 2 1.71%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2013, 06:41 PM
  #76
Casper
30 goal grinder
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 1,551
vCash: 500
Granlund. Kids got skills.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:45 PM
  #77
keppel146
We love Bacon
 
keppel146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MinneSOta
Country: United States
Posts: 3,254
vCash: 500
finnish baby is still number 1

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:30 PM
  #78
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Etoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Nepal
Posts: 25,727
vCash: 500
How could the guy with his own stamp lose?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 10:13 PM
  #79
Victorious Secret
EVERYBODY PANIC
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Matt's Meat Market
Country: Ireland
Posts: 14,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I think he's saying this...

Better chance to succeed, playing with Parise and Koivu, or Cullen and Setoguchi? Considering the consistency and obvious talent difference between the two pairs, the white horse for Coyle is the answer.
Exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
finnish baby is still number 1
Boom!

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:14 PM
  #80
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 20,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Better chance to succeed, playing with Parise and Koivu, or Cullen and Setoguchi? Considering the consistency and obvious talent difference between the two pairs, the white horse for Coyle is the answer.
The problem with this is, Koivu is a notoriously picky center. The best wingers he ever had? Not Havlat. Not Gaborik. Brunette and Miettinen were the only consistent wingers Koivu could match up with. The fact that Coyle could play with Koivu is outstanding.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 11:43 PM
  #81
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,464
vCash: 500
^Uhh... more like Rolston and Bouchard when he was centering the 2nd line and the Wild won the division. Koivu centering, Rolston scores 31 goals, Bouchard 50 assists... Rolston giving him the nickname "The Franchise".

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:10 AM
  #82
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 20,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
^Uhh... more like Rolston and Bouchard when he was centering the 2nd line and the Wild won the division. Koivu centering, Rolston scores 31 goals, Bouchard 50 assists... Rolston giving him the nickname "The Franchise".
Todd White?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:14 AM
  #83
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Todd White?
You're thinking the year before they won the division. Todd White left between those seasons.

White left, they signed Belanger for the 3rd line center position. Koivu bumped up to the 2nd line.

You can't tell me you don't remember it... that's the season Koivu's leg was broken and he missed 6 weeks because of Ohlund. Then when he came back, and the wild played in Vancouver, he scored and screamed at the entire Canuck bench as he skated by towards the Wild bench!


Last edited by TaLoN: 07-25-2013 at 12:23 AM.
TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:35 AM
  #84
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 20,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
You can't tell me you don't remember it... that's the season Koivu's leg was broken and he missed 6 weeks because of Ohlund. Then when he came back, and the wild played in Vancouver, he scored and screamed at the entire Canuck bench as he skated by towards the Wild bench!
Seasons blend together a lot. I only really remember Demitra being center for a bit but Rolston and Bouchard having chemistry and the center being the third wheel on that line.

Koivu never really had success after Rolston and Bouchard until Mitts and Brunette came around. Have no idea why. Koivu also was a bit of an anchor on the Rolston, Bouchard line it appears.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:39 AM
  #85
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,464
vCash: 500
Demitra was played out of position at center that entire year on the top line with Radio/Voros/Fedoruk/Sheppard all spending time on the other wing.

Then we traded for Chris fricking Simon instead of a top line center.

Also, no Koivu wasn't an anchor, the team started slumping when he got injured remember. He was still developing his offensive game, but his defensive game allowed both Rolston and Bouchard to roam free more.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:07 AM
  #86
DumbaTrain
YouWantSome?
 
DumbaTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
Rolstons PS slapper on Luongo is one of my favorite all time Wild goals.. Dayum that man could shoot..

DumbaTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:21 AM
  #87
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,251
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure Belanger was the second line center then. Koivu was on the third line.

Going through some of the game reports, here was some common lines:

10/16/07
Gaborik - Walz - Demitra
Rolston - Belanger - Bouchard
Parrish - Koivu - Radivojevic
Veilleux - Sheppard - Boogaard

11/15/07
Gaborik - Koivu - Voros
Rolston - Sheppard - Bouchard
Veilleux - Belanger - Radivojevic
Parrish - Moore - Boogaard

1/16/08
Gaborik - Demitra - Voros
Rolston - Belanger - Bouchard
Veilleux - Koivu - Radio
Foy - Sheppard - Fedoruk

2/12/08
Gaborik - Demitra - Voros
Rolston - Belanger - Bouchard
Veilleux - Koivu - Radio
Parrish - Sheppard - Radio/Voros

3/26/08
Gaborik - Koivu - Radio
Bouchard - Demitra - Rolston
Parrish - Belanger - Fedoruk
Voros - Sheppard - Boogaard

Playoffs
Gaborik - Demitra - Fedoruk
Rolston - Koivu - Bouchard
Veilleux - Belanger - Voros
Simon - Sheppard - Boogaard

Yikes. This was the best team the Wild ever had (regular season), by the way. Could you imagine Lemaire with TALENT in the lineup? And Yeo almost misses the playoffs with Koivu, Parise, Pominville, Heatley, Cullen, Setoguchi, Suter, and Brodin?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:05 AM
  #88
Nsjohnson
Registered User
 
Nsjohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm pretty sure Belanger was the second line center then. Koivu was on the third line.

Going through some of the game reports, here was some common lines:

10/16/07
Gaborik - Walz - Demitra
Rolston - Belanger - Bouchard
Parrish - Koivu - Radivojevic
Veilleux - Sheppard - Boogaard

11/15/07
Gaborik - Koivu - Voros
Rolston - Sheppard - Bouchard
Veilleux - Belanger - Radivojevic
Parrish - Moore - Boogaard

1/16/08
Gaborik - Demitra - Voros
Rolston - Belanger - Bouchard
Veilleux - Koivu - Radio
Foy - Sheppard - Fedoruk

2/12/08
Gaborik - Demitra - Voros
Rolston - Belanger - Bouchard
Veilleux - Koivu - Radio
Parrish - Sheppard - Radio/Voros

3/26/08
Gaborik - Koivu - Radio
Bouchard - Demitra - Rolston
Parrish - Belanger - Fedoruk
Voros - Sheppard - Boogaard

Playoffs
Gaborik - Demitra - Fedoruk
Rolston - Koivu - Bouchard
Veilleux - Belanger - Voros
Simon - Sheppard - Boogaard

Yikes. This was the best team the Wild ever had (regular season), by the way. Could you imagine Lemaire with TALENT in the lineup? And Yeo almost misses the playoffs with Koivu, Parise, Pominville, Heatley, Cullen, Setoguchi, Suter, and Brodin?
There is definitely something to be said about this.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:14 PM
  #89
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,464
vCash: 500
There's a reason Lemaire was never fired in his career.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:23 PM
  #90
Jagged Ice
Registered User
 
Jagged Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
The results of this poll surprise me. Granlund's skating is average at best. He's got a weak shot and struggles with the pace of this level. Did he even impress at the AHL? He'll be as big a bust as Pouliot was. But we kept hope alive there too.

Jagged Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:29 PM
  #91
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,251
vCash: 500
He has a very good shot and he was PPG in the AHL as a rookie.

Pouliot had 36 points in 67 games in the AHL his rookie year. And 24 in 46 the year after.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:29 PM
  #92
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,464
vCash: 500
Yes, because after his first season with no camp and the team rarely even practiced, you can see he will never be better than he was that season.

Sometimes it takes time to adjust people. He may still bust, but I sure as hell wouldn't bet on it at this point.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:44 PM
  #93
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Rolstons PS slapper on Luongo is one of my favorite all time Wild goals.. Dayum that man could shoot..
Or the NHL ASG where he broke Turco's microphone and got a hatty. We haven't had a guy who can shoot the puck like he could since he left five years ago.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:51 PM
  #94
Jagged Ice
Registered User
 
Jagged Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Just based on this poll and AHL numbers, how does Nino have 10 votes and Granlund almost 60? Especially given the circumstances Nino had with the Islanders organization. Nino is a far better prospect. Talon has the right attitude though. He may still bust but lets not give up hope. I for one hope he proves me wrong. But I'm quite concerned. I'd be very curious to see what his actual value is right now. He was once listed as the best player not playing in the NHL. Is he even in the top 25 on that list?

Jagged Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:05 PM
  #95
Gaps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,190
vCash: 500
I for one haven't seen enough of Nino to say he's our best prospect. Based on the little I have seen I've got him at #3, with Coyle being #2. If we were more familiar with Nino, the results of this poll could look very different.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:12 PM
  #96
Haite
x
 
Haite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Solely judging by the fact that we acquired Niederreiter at the cost of a third line grinder (as great at that as he is) and a third round draft pick, I'd be concerned if he was our number 1 prospect.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:26 PM
  #97
Minnewildsota
Registered User
 
Minnewildsota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Or the NHL ASG where he broke Turco's microphone and got a hatty. We haven't had a guy who can shoot the puck like he could since he left five years ago.
I see this phrase muttered more and more around here. Do we really want to reminisce about the good ole days? "We haven't had a player that could score like Gabby could." "We haven't had a player that could shoot like Rolston." "We haven't had someone that could fight like Boogaard."

Are we really wanting the past to be the present?

(Not meant as an attach Jarick, your post just triggered the realization.)

Minnewildsota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:30 PM
  #98
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I see this phrase muttered more and more around here. Do we really want to reminisce about the good ole days? "We haven't had a player that could score like Gabby could." "We haven't had a player that could shoot like Rolston." "We haven't had someone that could fight like Boogaard."

Are we really wanting the past to be the present?

(Not meant as an attach Jarick, your post just triggered the realization.)
Hey, this could be fun. Let me try.

"We haven't had some that could _______ like Marty Skoula"

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:36 PM
  #99
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,251
vCash: 500
You're right; delusion is way more fun. Koivu's just got a BOMB of a shot.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:45 PM
  #100
Minnewildsota
Registered User
 
Minnewildsota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Hey, this could be fun. Let me try.

"We haven't had some that could _______ like Marty Skoula"
Fall down?

Minnewildsota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.