HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Thread Part IV - Let's Make A Deal

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-24-2013, 03:20 PM
  #751
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,530
vCash: 500
Even if we added Rundblad (which I wouldn't be thrilled about), or any RH PMD, where is he going to play? McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Del Zotto, Moore and Stralman are our top-six defenders. Do we really need a PP specialist sort of player in the press-box?

Trxjw is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 03:43 PM
  #752
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Even if we added Rundblad (which I wouldn't be thrilled about), or any RH PMD, where is he going to play? McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Del Zotto, Moore and Stralman are our top-six defenders. Do we really need a PP specialist sort of player in the press-box?
We trade Del Zotto and Boyle for that fictional top 6 LW'er that teams are looking to get rid of. Duh.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 03:51 PM
  #753
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Offer sheet?
He's a restricted free agent after this season, correct?

Zil is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 04:01 PM
  #754
Joey Bones
Registered User
 
Joey Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I'd take him back once those 2 get signed. Can never have enough NHL caliber defense. Falk and Eminger would be great.
Agreed. Would like him back on his normal under $900k contract, but we have to resign Step & Zucc first before any other signings. Would be solid defensive depth like you showed.

Joey Bones is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 05:06 PM
  #755
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Even if we added Rundblad (which I wouldn't be thrilled about), or any RH PMD, where is he going to play? McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Del Zotto, Moore and Stralman are our top-six defenders. Do we really need a PP specialist sort of player in the press-box?
We haven't had a PPQB in NY for years.

We desperately need a PPQB.

If we get one, where is he going to play?

Our hole on the PP blueline is starting to close in on Philly's hole between the pipes. Everyone are like, after 20+ years why don't they just fix it? They have assets and so forth.

When we had a hole between the pipes, and Maloney was semi in charge -- we fixed it the way it should be done. We drafted a goalie in the top 10. We drafted another goalie in the top 10. And after a while, we found our goalie. Had Hank not come through, we would have found one some other way. Draft, trade or UFA. Anything almost can be had, it's only a matter of what you are willing to give up. We were determined to find one.

We need a PPQB. But we also need a D who can make high caliber offensive plays 5 on 5. We just don't have that either.

If we can get a -- candidate -- for the PPQB role with a right handed shot, the least of our problems is where he plays. And I would have had zero concerns over Rundblad giving Moore a fight for a roster position next season.

Ola is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 05:09 PM
  #756
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The Rangers have 8 D on one-way deals, plus John Moore. If the Coyotes are supposedly moving a D because they have 9 on one-way deals, the Rangers wouldn't be one of the teams looking to acquire a D.
Thank you.
My reply was courtesy to BBKers, who brought up the subject.

He's right, if we get a guy with offensive potential on backline cheap enough, it's worth considering. And I pointed out what was quoted in that thread.

You're right to infer we need to create a space if we are adding more D, setting aside the issue of what his value is and what we could be willing to pay.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 05:12 PM
  #757
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
We haven't had a PPQB in NY for years.

We desperately need a PPQB.

If we get one, where is he going to play?

Our hole on the PP blueline is starting to close in on Philly's hole between the pipes. Everyone are like, after 20+ years why don't they just fix it? They have assets and so forth.

When we had a hole between the pipes, and Maloney was semi in charge -- we fixed it the way it should be done. We drafted a goalie in the top 10. We drafted another goalie in the top 10. And after a while, we found our goalie. Had Hank not come through, we would have found one some other way. Draft, trade or UFA. Anything almost can be had, it's only a matter of what you are willing to give up. We were determined to find one.

We need a PPQB. But we also need a D who can make high caliber offensive plays 5 on 5. We just don't have that either.

If we can get a -- candidate -- for the PPQB role with a right handed shot, the least of our problems is where he plays. And I would have had zero concerns over Rundblad giving Moore a fight for a roster position next season.
I hear Rundblad is RD, so under certain circumstances it might not be a winner take all competition. (Moore is LD, yes?)

The main thread just got one up about Alec Martinez.
What can we do with the Kings for him?

bernmeister is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 11:40 AM
  #758
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
From: @andystrickland
Sent: Jul 25, 2013 11:50a

Sources indicate #stlblues Evgeny Grachev likely to stay in Russia this season #KHL http://t.co/q4bjOCOCCw

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/andystrickland/st...26911559716864

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 11:45 AM
  #759
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Russian factor.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 12:03 PM
  #760
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
per Aaron Ward this morning

Quote:
Source close to Grabovski situation,at this point its down to 3 teams.Contrary to reports,Winnipeg Jets are not one of them. #TSN


i know its a long shot but could Rangers be one of those teams?? teams can go over the cap as long it is cleared by regular season... id gladly deal Del Zotto, Boyle to clear cap space, and sign Grabovski.. Grabovski is good for 20 goals 50 pts-60 pts... put him with skilled players, i can see him getting 30 goals 65 pts.. watch him go to the Red Wings or Devils Sather better sneak in and sign him.. secondary scoring is still an issue for the Rangers....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 12:06 PM
  #761
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
We haven't had a PPQB in NY for years.

We desperately need a PPQB.

If we get one, where is he going to play?

Our hole on the PP blueline is starting to close in on Philly's hole between the pipes. Everyone are like, after 20+ years why don't they just fix it? They have assets and so forth.

When we had a hole between the pipes, and Maloney was semi in charge -- we fixed it the way it should be done. We drafted a goalie in the top 10. We drafted another goalie in the top 10. And after a while, we found our goalie. Had Hank not come through, we would have found one some other way. Draft, trade or UFA. Anything almost can be had, it's only a matter of what you are willing to give up. We were determined to find one.

We need a PPQB. But we also need a D who can make high caliber offensive plays 5 on 5. We just don't have that either.

If we can get a -- candidate -- for the PPQB role with a right handed shot, the least of our problems is where he plays. And I would have had zero concerns over Rundblad giving Moore a fight for a roster position next season.
There's a common misconception around here that the "QB" on the PP has to be a defender, or at least a forward playing the point. The reality of the situation is that we've had PP QB's post-lockout, but until Del Zotto arrived, we never had a defensemen running the show. Jagr and Nylander ran a top-10 ranked PP for two seasons post-lockout. Then Nylander was replaced by Gomez and our PP tanked. It wasn't revitalized until Del Zotto's rookie year when it jumped 5% and went from 2nd to last in the NHL to just outside the top-10.

The problem isn't the lack of a PP QB at all. It's a lack of movement, coaching, and the team's insistence that because Del Zotto slumped in his sophomore year, we needed to go get Brad Richards to run the point. If there's one thing Del Zotto can do, it's run a NHL power-play. However, when he's the "shooter" on the point with Richards being the QB, it's not a good configuration. In fact, the best PP I've seen this team produce in recent years was when Moore and MDZ were on the points and Richards' ass was glued to the bench.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 12:11 PM
  #762
MugatuNYR
so hot right now
 
MugatuNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,900
vCash: 500
Grabovski? Hellllllllll no. The last thing the Rangers need is another center. Especially an inconsistent one that's about to be overpaid and doesn't know how to play defense.

Del Zotto for Grabovksi would be a massive step backwards.

MugatuNYR is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 12:14 PM
  #763
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
per Aaron Ward this morning

Quote:
Source close to Grabovski situation,at this point its down to 3 teams.Contrary to reports,Winnipeg Jets are not one of them. #TSN


i know its a long shot but could Rangers be one of those teams?? teams can go over the cap as long it is cleared by regular season... id gladly deal Del Zotto, Boyle to clear cap space, and sign Grabovski.. Grabovski is good for 20 goals 50 pts-60 pts... put him with skilled players, i can see him getting 30 goals 65 pts.. watch him go to the Red Wings or Devils Sather better sneak in and sign him.. secondary scoring is still an issue for the Rangers....
Just no to grabovski.

RGY is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 12:24 PM
  #764
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,886
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
haha get rid del zotto and boyle for grabovski

lololololol

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 01:26 PM
  #765
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Matt4776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,630
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Grabovski? Hellllllllll no. The last thing the Rangers need is another center. Especially an inconsistent one that's about to be overpaid and doesn't know how to play defense.

Del Zotto for Grabovksi would be a massive step backwards.
Grabovski was bought out.

Matt4776 is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 01:31 PM
  #766
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Grabovski was bought out.
He knows that. He was saying the trade off would MDZ for grabovski because we would need salary space.


That would be a HUGE step backwards. Del Zotto on a great deal who is a 40 point defenseman (maybe more under AV) and Boyle a solid two way player who does a bulk of the PKing for a guy who could be in the 45-60 point range and is awful defensively....smh

It's the typical ranger fan habit of feeling the need to have whatever "sexy" or appealing name is out there

RGY is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 01:41 PM
  #767
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
He knows that. He was saying the trade off would MDZ for grabovski because we would need salary space.


That would be a HUGE step backwards. Del Zotto on a great deal who is a 40 point defenseman (maybe more under AV) and Boyle a solid two way player who does a bulk of the PKing for a guy who could be in the 45-60 point range and is awful defensively....smh

It's the typical ranger fan habit of feeling the need to have whatever "sexy" or appealing name is out there
Grabovski would be a solid addition, but I think he is a bit too high salary wise. I wish they didn't sign Asham and Pyatt last year. Not when players like Morrow, Cleary, Mueller, Larose Raymond, Antropov are still out there and may come for about the same cap hit or less.

The d-men that are still available is crazy. Murray, Coliacovo, White, Gilbert, O'Byrne, Hainsey.

Plus there are teams who need to clear space. Odd how quiet it has gotten.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
07-25-2013, 01:49 PM
  #768
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,886
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I'd love to have Antropov back.

He was solid here.

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 01:49 PM
  #769
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Matt4776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,630
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
He knows that. He was saying the trade off would MDZ for grabovski because we would need salary space.


That would be a HUGE step backwards. Del Zotto on a great deal who is a 40 point defenseman (maybe more under AV) and Boyle a solid two way player who does a bulk of the PKing for a guy who could be in the 45-60 point range and is awful defensively....smh

It's the typical ranger fan habit of feeling the need to have whatever "sexy" or appealing name is out there
Not that I'm advocating dealing trading MDZ to make space for Grabovski whatsoever (I hate Grabovski and like MDZ), but it would be MDZ for Grabovski+whatever assets we get for MDZ, which would be a lot. Realistically, it would be:

MDZ for

Grabovski+ a top 6 winger + a pick/prospect (depending on quality of top-6 winger- we might be the ones needing to add)

Matt4776 is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 01:50 PM
  #770
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Grabovski would be a solid addition, but I think he is a bit too high salary wise. I wish they didn't sign Asham and Pyatt last year. Not when players like Morrow, Cleary, Mueller, Larose Raymond, Antropov are still out there and may come for about the same cap hit or less.

The d-men that are still available is crazy. Murray, Coliacovo, White, Gilbert, O'Byrne, Hainsey.

Plus there are teams who need to clear space. Odd how quiet it has gotten.
I mentioned Morrow and Raymond in the past couple days. If the rangers wanted one of those guys, they'd make the room.

RGY is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 01:52 PM
  #771
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Not that I'm advocating dealing trading MDZ to make space for Grabovski whatsoever (I hate Grabovski and like MDZ), but it would be MDZ for Grabovski+whatever assets we get for MDZ, which would be a lot. Realistically, it would be:

MDZ for

Grabovski+ a top 6 winger + a pick/prospect (depending on quality of top-6 winger- we might be the ones needing to add)
how are we affording grabovski by just trading dz and his 2.5m let alone paying whatever top six guy we get back in a trade AND signing stepan?

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
07-25-2013, 02:15 PM
  #772
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Matt4776's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,630
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
how are we affording grabovski by just trading dz and his 2.5m let alone paying whatever top six guy we get back in a trade AND signing stepan?
Not a clue. Not advocating it whatsoever. Was just responding to somebody that said something about trading MDZ for Grabovski. You can bet if we did trade MDZ it wouldn't be just for futures.

Matt4776 is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 02:53 PM
  #773
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Not a clue. Not advocating it whatsoever. Was just responding to somebody that said something about trading MDZ for Grabovski. You can bet if we did trade MDZ it wouldn't be just for futures.
right, in that case, just make the trade and forget about signing Grabo. or trade other spare parts like boyle, pyatt, powe, asham to free up money to sign him.

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
07-25-2013, 03:19 PM
  #774
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
Is there any info regardig Stepan??

frankthefrowner is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 03:25 PM
  #775
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Rangers cap space



Three years it was the Rangers were not assigning Redden to the AHL. Sather would make space to sign Kovalchuk. The Rangers assigned Redden to the AHL and thankfully Sather never considered Kovalchuk. They had enough to re-sign Girardi and Staal. Sign Frolov.

They have no money this summer. They kept Richards. Added depth players. They didn't re-sign Clowe(thankfully). They re-signed McDonagh and Hagelin. Still haven't signed Stepan.

The Rangers will need shed salary to re-sign their current free agents and have enough money to operate the team. The Rangers have no money.

Look at Capgeek. How many teams are pressed up against the cap OR have maxed out their budgets? Many of those teams have their own free agents to sign.

RangerBoy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.