Old
07-25-2013, 02:27 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Disagree.

If we were truly re-building, what major pieces did we trade off? Just Burns from what I recall. We re-signed Koivu to a long-term deal and held on to guys like Bruno, Nolan, Bouchard, etc.

Havlat was moved for Heatley. Hardly building for the future there.
"Re-building" doesn't mean you get rid of everyone. And you still need to put a team on the ice, which is why you hold on to guys like Brunette and Nolan.

And I agree with ryn....moving Havlat for Heatley DID get us a contract set to expire a year sooner.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:44 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
"Re-building" doesn't mean you get rid of everyone. And you still need to put a team on the ice, which is why you hold on to guys like Brunette and Nolan.

And I agree with ryn....moving Havlat for Heatley DID get us a contract set to expire a year sooner.
Not to mention someone (or Agent) who was clearly unhappy with how things were running in this organization. IIRC, he merely signed here because he was promised to basically fill the Gaborik gap. That never really came to be. Bout the only thing I miss having him on the team was he had some damn good hands when he had the puck. Something this team still is severely missing is someone who can take it up ice and HOLD IT until the cavalry gets into position.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:54 PM
DANOZ28

vCash: 500
its funny how we cant wait to land a big fish, then a year later we cant wait to get rid of them. if we keep this up how many big guns are going to want to sign here? hmmmmm just an observation.

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What specifically started the rebuild? I thought you said that we started rebuilding during Richards second year? Was it signing Cullen? Was that the rebuild?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
I thought we started to rebuild when we let Gaborik go and realized we had 0 prospects.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The argument started that Yeo was given a re-building team while Richards was not. My intent was that Richards had two years of a crappy hockey team while Yeo only had one.

Under Richards, the Wild finished 22nd and 21st overall. Under Yeo, the Wild finished 24th. Then he was given Parise and Suter along with several young prospects.

Old
07-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Dudicles

Rebuild is just code to keep angry fans at bay for icing an on-paper sub par team.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I thought we started to rebuild when we let Gaborik go and realized we had 0 prospects.
IMO, "re-building" a team means that you realize you cannot compete and start moving players for future assets. Wild never really did this.

I'd say the team just flat out sucked since 2008-09. Rolston, Demitra, and Gaborik walked for nothing in return. All the draft picks pretty much sucked going back to 2003.

The point is, the team sucked in 2008-09 and Lemaire just barely missed the playoffs with them. Then the team sucked in 2009-10 and 2010-11 under Richards and he was fired. Then the team sucked in 2011-12 under Yeo.

Then they got Parise and Suter and that changed everything. You also had Zucker, Granlund, Coyle, Brodin, and Larsson turning pro.

Old
07-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Quote:
The argument started that Yeo was given a re-building team while Richards was not. My intent was that Richards had two years of a crappy hockey team while Yeo only had one.

Under Richards, the Wild finished 22nd and 21st overall. Under Yeo, the Wild finished 24th. Then he was given Parise and Suter along with several young prospects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
Rebuild is just code to keep angry fans at bay for icing an on-paper sub par team.
Worst we did was 24th, so it must have been a re-tooling.

I'd say Richards over-achieved with his teams and Yeo under-achieved/is under-achieving. We don't know what the coaches are like behind closed doors and in the locker room. But we also haven't seen the intensity from Yeo during Wild games. He looks constantly flustered and unlike the becoming Wild clip of him yelling at the AHL boys and coming back from a 3 goal deficit on their Calder Cup run. Hes just looks scared to yell at people getting paid more than him, while his eyebrows get turned up a notch to flaming.

Old
07-25-2013, 03:12 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:

IMO, the Wild started re-building the minute Riser was fired. Fletcher had to come in and evaluate what we had and how to best move forward. In order to that, he had to see the team on the ice to see where the current deficiencies were.

So, Richards was given a team that was just starting the process of re-building, and Yeo came in about mid-way through that process.

I would say the re-build is now complete. Anything less than making the playoffs should be considered a fire-able offense for someone (most likely Yeo).

Old
07-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
IMO, the Wild started re-building the minute Riser was fired. Fletcher had to come in and evaluate what we had and how to best move forward. In order to that, he had to see the team on the ice to see where the current deficiencies were.

So, Richards was given a team that was just starting the process of re-building, and Yeo came in about mid-way through that process.

I would say the re-build is now complete. Anything less than making the playoffs should be considered a fire-able offense for someone (most likely Yeo).
LeMaire leaving and Riser being fired goes hand in hand. So, I think its kinda the same to associate it with the start of Richards. But I don't think you're disputing that. I'd say, draft-wise, they stopped the rebuild 2 years ago when they started drafting nothing but projects.

Old
07-25-2013, 04:09 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
LeMaire leaving and Riser being fired goes hand in hand. So, I think its kinda the same to associate it with the start of Richards. But I don't think you're disputing that. I'd say, draft-wise, they stopped the rebuild 2 years ago when they started drafting nothing but projects.
I think the rebuild stopped after the big UFA signings.