HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vaneks latest comments

Old
07-25-2013, 11:28 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
What's wrong with what he said exactly? When comments seemed to indicate he'd only be interested in playing for a contender people had a problem with it, now that he has comments that basically indicate he still has one foot in the door despite the fact the team is rebuilding, people still have a problem with it.

This comment is about the best thing he can say in my book. If he said he wants to be here no matter what, then he's a loser who doesn't care whether his team's garbage or not. He should be saying what he's saying.
Because at the same time he is saying a rebuild isnt best for him he says he is "not flattered" by the trade rumors and the that the Sabres have a lot of good young players.

Just say you want out. Think of Darcy, he has a 1st line player that may want to go, but not really forcing anything, he may want to stay if the young players develop around him quickly.

It puts Darcy in a tough spot IMO. He will never get value for Vanek, maybe a 2nd line player and prospects/picks. So Darcy might be thinking keep Vanek and hope Hodgson and/or Grigorenko break out and Vanek wants to re-sign.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He was relatively diplomatic and measured in his tone, but I don't see or hear anything from Vanek that indicates he has much interest in being a Buffalo Sabre beyond the expiration of his contract. Even if they're more competitive than most people think they'll be next year, if they don't make the playoffs it'll be an organization that's missed the playoffs for three consecutive seasons, five of the last seven seasons, and hasn't won a playoff series in seven seasons.

Vanek wants to win, and he wants to start winning now. He'll have no shortage of suitors that want to add him to a mix that can and has won a lot more than Buffalo in recent years. Vanek knows this. Meanwhile, the Sabres are transitioning their roster, and Vanek also knows this.

At this point, I just don't see a realistic scenario developing wherein Vanek will want to re-sign in Buffalo. Deal him and Miller before camp to avoid the circus that's going to come to town if both are on the roster heading into the season. That's not a situation I want the young players to be around every day.
I agree. I just hope they don't trade them both for futures. We need some more veterans on this team.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:36 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Because at the same time he is saying a rebuild isnt best for him he says he is "not flattered" by the trade rumors and the that the Sabres have a lot of good young players.

Just say you want out. Think of Darcy, he has a 1st line player that may want to go, but not really forcing anything, he may want to stay if the young players develop around him quickly.

It puts Darcy in a tough spot IMO. He will never get value for Vanek, maybe a 2nd line player and prospects/picks. So Darcy might be thinking keep Vanek and hope Hodgson and/or Grigorenko break out and Vanek wants to re-sign.

To each their own, but I think you're reading a bit too much into Vanek's comments. To be honest, I have no problem with anything he said. I also do not think he will be an issue in the lockerroom if he is there to start the season.

I would like to see how this thread would have gone, had the full quote(s) been used in the opening message.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:03 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Watching the interview, the most interesting thing Vanek said may have been about next years free agency. He was asked about joining the Wild and never even mentions re-signing in Buffalo, said he has never been a person to narrow his choices down. Said just like how he picked Minnesota (His college) he went and saw other schools.

Sounds like he is looking forward to free agency. But doesnt mean he wont re-sign in Buffalo. Just wants to shop himself.

Puts Darcy in a tough spot because I dont think Vanek will sign with anyone before next years free agency. Makes a trade for good value difficult.

Last edited by SabresAreScaryGood: 07-25-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old
07-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I don't think that causes Regier much of a problem though. I think Regier and Vanek have until the TDL to decide something. If Regier wants to re-sign him but he doesn't commit by then, a trade is the only option. If Vanek truly is open to re-signing, he has to understand the situation and be agreeable to re-signing before the TDL. If that's the case, the team would have to show quite a bit of promise, or even be in playoff contention.

I doubt that's how it plays out, but Regier simply has to be patient to handle it properly, and I think we can all agree that Regier is patient (maybe to a fault).

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Watching the interview, the most interesting thing Vanek said may have been about next years free agency. He was asked about joining the Wild and never even mentions re-signing in Buffalo, said he has never been a person to narrow his choices down. Said just like how he picked Minnesota (His college) he went and saw other schools.

Sounds like he is looking forward to free agency. But doesnt mean he wont re-sign in Buffalo. Just wants to shop himself.

Puts Darcy in a tough spot because I dont think Vanek will sign with anyone before next years free agency. Makes a trade for good value difficult.
Vanek has no say in where he's traded to, so it doesn't make it difficult on Regier at all. Teams looking for a player at the deadline are going to be looking for a rental, not signing a player to an extension.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Clock

I would rather he just not continue to say he doesn't want to be here. I don't think his trade value would actually be hurt, but I also don't think that broadcasting that the Sabres are almost certainly not going to be able to sign him will help anything.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:38 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Vanek has no say in where he's traded to, so it doesn't make it difficult on Regier at all. Teams looking for a player at the deadline are going to be looking for a rental, not signing a player to an extension.
Yeah, but most teams looking to buy him over the summer will be hoping for some chance of re-signing.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:55 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

I am not a fan of waiting until the deadline. This is a different type of deadline. Regier would be under pressure as well to make a trade. I dont think that would be a good situation.

The price at the deadline would probably be only picks and prospects. I dont see a tream giving up a top 6 forward off of their playoff team when they are trying to make a run at a cup.

Old
07-25-2013, 02:02 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I am not a fan of waiting until the deadline. This is a different type of deadline. Regier would be under pressure as well to make a trade. I dont think that would be a good situation.

The price at the deadline would probably be only picks and prospects. I dont see a tream giving up a top 6 forward off of their playoff team when they are trying to make a run at a cup.
What team is giving up a top 6 forward today for Vanek?

Regier has basically said that nobody is calling about Vanek or Miller right now because of a lack of cap space.

The deadline will be the next real chance to get a bidding war going for Vanek.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:12 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
What team is giving up a top 6 forward today for Vanek?

Regier has basically said that nobody is calling about Vanek or Miller right now because of a lack of cap space.

The deadline will be the next real chance to get a bidding war going for Vanek.
Problem with a bidding war is Darcy Regier is under pressure also at that point, so when does he pull the trigger? Plus there will be others on the market.

Plus injury risk. I just dont like trading Vanek at the deadline. There are other risks as well.

I say if re-signing him is out of the question then take on salary, pay some of Vanek's salary, and make the trade happen.

Regier did say taking back salary isnt something they want to do right now, so that is probably what is holding up a trade.

Old
07-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Crazy Tasty

Last year before UFA and probably his last major shot at big money... I have a feeling he's going to be motivated to play his absolute best. For whatever team he's on.

Crazy Tasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Royisgone

Finally just had a chance to listen to his comments.

Make no mistake: he wants out of here. Yesterday.

I assume Darcy will move him for best value possible at the trade deadline.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:15 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Problem with a bidding war is Darcy Regier is under pressure also at that point, so when does he pull the trigger? Plus there will be others on the market.

Plus injury risk. I just dont like trading Vanek at the deadline. There are other risks as well.

I say if re-signing him is out of the question then take on salary, pay some of Vanek's salary, and make the trade happen.

Regier did say taking back salary isnt something they want to do right now, so that is probably what is holding up a trade.
I don't see how a bidding war at the deadline is a bad thing.

I get the injury risk part. But, I'm guessing that unless there is an offer out there of a 1st++ or a good young NHLer +, then Regier really has no choice but to wait.

Just hope that Vanek can stay healthy and that he's contract year motivated.

Old
07-25-2013, 04:18 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Potential press circus regarding Vanek and Miller's status is another reason why pre-camp resolution of their standing with the team would be beneficial. It's doubtful the team wants the kids being around that sort of consistent distraction.
Could not agree more. I still think we start the year with both on the roster however.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:30 PM
umbertovanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I would rather he just not continue to say he doesn't want to be here. I don't think his trade value would actually be hurt, but I also don't think that broadcasting that the Sabres are almost certainly not going to be able to sign him will help anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
Finally just had a chance to listen to his comments.

Make no mistake: he wants out of here. Yesterday.

I assume Darcy will move him for best value possible at the trade deadline.
Just watched the video again and I still can't see where he could have hinted at that. So I stand by my opinion that people are interpreting too much into this.

That being said, trading Van for the best possible return seems like the most reasonable thing to do from a Buffalo POV right now, even though I'd love to see him retire a Sabre.

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:27 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
I don't see how a bidding war at the deadline is a bad thing.

I get the injury risk part. But, I'm guessing that unless there is an offer out there of a 1st++ or a good young NHLer +, then Regier really has no choice but to wait.

Just hope that Vanek can stay healthy and that he's contract year motivated.
Vanek just had one of his best season's of his career, why isnt his value highest right now?

I dont know what people are actually expecting to get at the deadline that would be better than what we could get right now. I think Darcy is holding out hope to re-sign Vanek IMO.

If the plan was to trade Vanek, not re-sign him, then keeping him into the season is a failure.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:39 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
If the plan was to trade Vanek, not re-sign him, then keeping him into the season is a failure.
This isn't actually true at all, though. Might it be preferable to trade him before the season? It very well might be. But keeping him into the season is nowhere near the disaster you're trying to portray it as

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:47 PM
FanboySlayer*

Quote:
Vanek just had one of his best season's of his career, why isnt his value highest right now?

I dont know what people are actually expecting to get at the deadline that would be better than what we could get right now. I think Darcy is holding out hope to re-sign Vanek IMO.

GM's are creatures of habit, they all feel optimistic at this time of year, they want to see how the players they have play for a couple of months at least before looking to trade. Vanek's most likely going to go in a deadline rent a player deal - Regier missed his chance to deal him, don't know how aggressively he tried.

FanboySlayer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:50 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
This isn't actually true at all, though. Might it be preferable to trade him before the season? It very well might be. But keeping him into the season is nowhere near the disaster you're trying to portray it as
The only outcome I see is equal value to what we get right now or disaster.

I feel different with Miller. I think Ryan Miller is different because I dont expect a ton for Miller. There is a chance a team is goalie desperate at the deadline, we see it every year. Miller should be the best available rent a goalie. I can see Miller's value increase during the season.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbertovanek View Post
Just watched the video again and I still can't see where he could have hinted at that.
I guess I should specify that I'm doing some reading between lines and that, contextually, when you're talking to the media, you generally don't drop lines like "not the ideal scenario for me" and the like when you're happy with the situation.

But no, he didn't explicitly say "I don't want to play in Buffalo."

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:56 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:

It's largely about cap space. Teams are up against the cap with UFA signings like Iginla to Boston and Alfie to Detroit.

At the deadline, Vanek is more movable because the Sabres will have paid a majority of his salary.

If Regier's phone was ringing off the hook for Vanek, he'd be gone already.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:56 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I guess I should specify that I'm doing some reading between lines and that, contextually, when you're talking to the media, you generally don't drop lines like "not the ideal scenario for me" and the like when you're happy with the situation.

But no, he didn't explicitly say "I don't want to play in Buffalo."
I think the biggest clue was when talking about free agency. I think he even says I will play out the year. I didnt even really pay attention to that part when I 1st watched it.

Vanek seems ready to shop himself.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:58 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
It's largely about cap space. Teams are up against the cap with UFA signings like Iginla to Boston and Alfie to Detroit.

At the deadline, Vanek is more movable because the Sabres will have paid a majority of his salary.

If Regier's phone was ringing off the hook for Vanek, he'd be gone already.
I know cap is a problem, but thats where I thought Pegula came into play. Take back contracts, pay half of Vanek's contract.

Regier has said they are not interested in doing that right now. I am convinced that is what is holding up a trade. I dont really understand why the Sabres dont want to take back contracts like they did with Kotalik.

I think there should be some digging into that, I would like to know why not.

Old
07-25-2013, 08:08 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
I know cap is a problem, but thats where I thought Pegula came into play. Take back contracts, pay half of Vanek's contract.

Regier has said they are not interested in doing that right now. I am convinced that is what is holding up a trade. I dont really understand why the Sabres dont want to take back contracts like they did with Kotalik.

I think there should be some digging into that, I would like to know why not.
Why should the Sabres be interested in doing that right now? You don't do other teams favors just for the hell of it. If a team's willing to overpay if you eat a contract or retain salary, fine, but you don't go out of your way to do it simply to facilitate a deal without first seeing if you can sort out a deal that doesn't involve giving up assets for nothing

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote