Early 2013-14 Season Predictions

Old
07-25-2013, 09:49 AM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Griffith- gone- wont develop any more in the O
Harrington - gone- he's ready, period
Broadhurst- well see but I'm notholding my breath
Ekblad- as nice as it would be to have the cost would. E too high a d can't see Barrie moving him this year- just too valuable. Look elsewhere for that top 2/3 D they need.

05 was special, I'm not putting that on any other knights team. If it ever happens great but ill be just as happy knowing weve got a real solid club and OHL favs

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:30 PM
bcspragu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I doubt Windsor finishes 8th,they despite scoring needs though they are in the top 8 in the OHL with goals returning projected,they also have 8 Dmen with OHL experience returning excluding O/As the most in the conference and the OHL
Here are rest of the western confernences teams quaniity of returning D excluding O/A with more then 15 games exp
Ldn- 4
Sag- 6
Guelph 5
SSM- 5
Erie- 5
Sarnia-4
Kitch- 5
Owen Sd-3
Ply- 4
Every team has weaknesses ,Ldn- D,Sag- D,Goal,Ply-Scoring,Owen Sd-Goal,D,
Gue- D,Goal,SSM,D,sec scoring,Kitch,Goal.D,scoring
Erie- D,Windsor-scoring,Sarnia-D,Goal,scoring in total rebuild
Defense will be a weakness for Saginaw. (How badly depends if both Young and Strong return). But saying Saginaw has a weakness in net is laughable. Paterson a top 3 canadian junior goalie next season and Serebryakov is a really good draft eligible kid.

bcspragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:37 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcspragu View Post
Defense will be a weakness for Saginaw. (How badly depends if both Young and Strong return). But saying Saginaw has a weakness in net is laughable. Paterson a top 3 canadian junior goalie next season and Serebryakov is a really good draft eligible kid.
Actually I made a mistake,goaltending is their strongest suit probably the best tandem in the league
Offensively they if Locke returns are very good,def not great need to upgrade a bit
either Strong or Young will be moved,I apologize for the error

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:03 PM
bcspragu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Actually I made a mistake,goaltending is their strongest suit probably the best tandem in the league
Offensively they if Locke returns are very good,def not great need to upgrade a bit
either Strong or Young will be moved,I apologize for the error
Not a problem.I was like dang people really sleep on how good Paterson is.

Saginaw should be able to score next year at a good clip. Locke coming back will of course help, but Lodge/Moutrey/Kea could all be poised to makeup some offensive slack should he leave if they continue to develop.

Defense is where I am worried. Strong and Weberman are serviceable Dman when healthy not sure what their status is for next season. Young is a premier offensive dman but will be interesting to see if he comes back. Callaghan is new is appears to add some physical play. While the rest of our D is 17 or younger. If they develop over the season we won't be to bad. If not we will need Paterson to steal games for us again.

I say London and Saginaw finish 1-2 in the West this season.

bcspragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 06:08 PM
dogfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
If Kingston is going to rely on Mahalak as its starting goaltender, the team had better be able to score goals by the truckload. He's not OHL starting caliber (and that is being kind).
I think this year will be important for the hockey ops side of the Frontenacs. They have a lot of good young talent, if it is developed properly they could be contenders in a very even East this season. I agree they have an issue in goal but, they also have a boatload of picks in 2015 and some talent they could move to pick up a legit number one goalie. The question I see for Kingston is, do they go out and get a 19 or 20 year old this year that would carry them as a contender or do they get a high end 17 year old that will maybe give them a shot this year but, be with them for the next two or three years while this team has top talent.

dogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 06:49 PM
OHLTG

I'm going to go bold right now: Kingston gets home ice in the East, Erie top 6 in the West. Young teams ready to break through.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:02 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfan View Post
I think this year will be important for the hockey ops side of the Frontenacs. They have a lot of good young talent, if it is developed properly they could be contenders in a very even East this season. I agree they have an issue in goal but, they also have a boatload of picks in 2015 and some talent they could move to pick up a legit number one goalie. The question I see for Kingston is, do they go out and get a 19 or 20 year old this year that would carry them as a contender or do they get a high end 17 year old that will maybe give them a shot this year but, be with them for the next two or three years while this team has top talent.
I think an 18-year old would be the best as they should be even better next year.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:05 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
If Kingston is going to rely on Mahalak as its starting goaltender, the team had better be able to score goals by the truckload. He's not OHL starting caliber (and that is being kind).
They should be able to do that, but after giving up two 3rd rounders for Mahalak I'm guessing they see things differently then you do (not that you are wrong).

FWIW, Knights fans also said the same thing about Bobkov.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:34 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I'm going to go bold right now: Kingston gets home ice in the East, Erie top 6 in the West. Young teams ready to break through.
I would agree about Kingston,they have 182 goals returning,all their D back,Mahalak
not my cup of tea but might be good enough in goal,they have a real shot to represent the East re the Mem cup this coming yr
I am sure Sudbury and North Bay will have something to say as both teams have alot goals returning 177 for NB and 156 for Sudbury,and the Wolves have the best goalie in the league with Palazeese,while North Bay goes with a 17 year old tender,they need to upgrade with experience there,Barrie might be in the mix too,though goal tending and more scoring a little bit mind you will be needed for them to really threaten

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:58 PM
defensehockey19

Petes only have 110 goals returning and havent added any veteran forwards... Not good.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
They should be able to do that, but after giving up two 3rd rounders for Mahalak I'm guessing they see things differently then you do (not that you are wrong).

FWIW, Knights fans also said the same thing about Bobkov.
I was shocked to see Plymouth get two 3rd round picks for Mahalak. I figured anything more than a bag of pucks would have been a good deal. After watching him for three years -- including part of last year as a starter -- I would not feel comfortable at all with him in net. Matt always looks like he's fighting the puck, gives up way too many weak goals, gets himself out of position too often, is very poor at controlling rebounds, and is weak handling the puck. Other than that, he is okay. We saw an immediate change in the Whalers team confidence when he was replaced by Nedeljkovic as the starter last season. There is a reason the Hurricanes did not offer him an ELC.

Whalers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 09:28 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
I was shocked to see Plymouth get two 3rd round picks for Mahalak. I figured anything more than a bag of pucks would have been a good deal. After watching him for three years -- including part of last year as a starter -- I would not feel comfortable at all with him in net. Matt always looks like he's fighting the puck, gives up way too many weak goals, gets himself out of position too often, is very poor at controlling rebounds, and is weak handling the puck. Other than that, he is okay. We saw an immediate change in the Whalers team confidence when he was replaced by Nedeljkovic as the starter last season. There is a reason the Hurricanes did not offer him an ELC.
He got that much because Kingston won the bidding war among five teams with Mahalak being the top goalie available this offseason.

I agree he was brutal last year but he was much better the years before, which resulted in him being drafted. I'm not sure which Mahalak will show up, but luckily for Kingston he is holding down an OA spot and they do have a lot of draft picks so it may not be terribly difficult to replace him if he does play like he did last year (i.e. how you described). Although, I'm sure they don't want to flush two 3rd rounders down the drain.

Old
07-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
He got that much because Kingston won the bidding war among five teams with Mahalak being the top goalie available this offseason.

I agree he was brutal last year but he was much better the years before, which resulted in him being drafted. I'm not sure which Mahalak will show up, but luckily for Kingston he is holding down an OA spot and they do have a lot of draft picks so it may not be terribly difficult to replace him if he does play like he did last year (i.e. how you described). Although, I'm sure they don't want to flush two 3rd rounders down the drain.
I really do not think he was much better the previous two years. Mahalak was backing up Wedgewood then, and wasn't playing much. When he did play, Matt looked uncomfortable in net, and the team played more conservatively to protect him. IMO, the only reason he was drafted was because it was Carolina (same team ownership, who sign a lot of ex-Whalers) and just a late round flyer pick.

You would have a difficult time finding any Whalers fan at the beginning of last season that was excited about Mahalak being the starting goalie.

Old
07-27-2013, 06:33 AM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
I really do not think he was much better the previous two years. Mahalak was backing up Wedgewood then, and wasn't playing much. When he did play, Matt looked uncomfortable in net, and the team played more conservatively to protect him. IMO, the only reason he was drafted was because it was Carolina (same team ownership, who sign a lot of ex-Whalers) and just a late round flyer pick.

You would have a difficult time finding any Whalers fan at the beginning of last season that was excited about Mahalak being the starting goalie.
Interesting. Well, thanks for the input. I'm very surprised he was so highly sought after with that being the case. Hopefully, he turns his game around as this is likely his last real shot to do so.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:14 AM
StormSurge9

As a Storm fan, I am projecting a 5th place finish.

Offense has talent and depth, defense has a solid top 4 now with Baltisberger, and some upside on the bottom pair. The issue is in net, I can't expect anything higher than 5th with Michael Nishi as the projected #1.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Interesting. Well, thanks for the input. I'm very surprised he was so highly sought after with that being the case. Hopefully, he turns his game around as this is likely his last real shot to do so.
I didn't know he was highly sought after. That surprises me, too. I was shocked at what Vellucci was able to get for him, as there was no way Mahalak was going to be on this year's roster as a backup, especially considering the number of OA's on the team. Plymouth probably would have eventually released him if they wouldn't have found a trade partner.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:15 PM
LukeMurphy5

EAST
1.Bulls(GAUNCE)
2.Frontenacs(BENNETT)
3.Colts(EKBLAD)
4.Petes(RITCHIE)
5.Battalion(GOODROW)
6.Wolves(CAMPAGNA)
7.Generals(DAL COLLE)
8.Steelheads(SMOSKOWITZ)
--------------------------------------
9.Ice Dogs(VERHAEGHE)
10.67's(KONECNY)
QF
1BULLS(4)
8STEELHEADS(3)

2FRONTENACS(4)
7GENERALS(0)

3COLTS(4)
6WOLVES(2)

4PETES(4)
5BATTALION(3)
SF
1BULLS(4)
4PETES(3)

2FRONTENACS(4)
3COLTS(3)
CF
1BULLS(4)
2FRONTENACS(3)

WEST
1.Knights(DOMI)
2.Storm(DICKINSON)
3.Rangers(BAILEY)
4.Attack(BRACE)
5.Otters(MCDAVID)
6.Spitfires(RYCHEL)
7.Greyhounds(NURSE)
8.Whalers(WILSON)
-------------
9.Spirit(LODGE)
10.Sting(GOLDOBIN)
QF
1KNIGHTS(4)
8WHALERS(1)

2STORM(4)
7GREYHOUNDS(1)

3RANGER(3)
6SPITFIRES(4)

4ATTACK(0)
5OTTERS(4)
SF
1KNIGHTS(4)
6SPITFIRES(3)

2STORM(4)
5OTTERS(2)
CF
1KNIGHTS(4)
2STORM(3)

KNIGHTS(3)
VS
BULLS(4)(IF QUINE AND ZHARKOV PLAY)

LukeMurphy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 08:49 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeMurphy5 View Post
EAST
1.Bulls(GAUNCE)
2.Frontenacs(BENNETT)
3.Colts(EKBLAD)
4.Petes(RITCHIE)
5.Battalion(GOODROW)
6.Wolves(CAMPAGNA)
7.Generals(DAL COLLE)
8.Steelheads(SMOSKOWITZ)
9.Ice Dogs(VERHAEGHE)
10.67's(KONECNY)
QF
1BULLS(4)
8STEELHEADS(3)

2FRONTENACS(4)
7GENERALS(0)

3COLTS(4)
6WOLVES(2)

4PETES(4)
5BATTALION(3)
SF
1BULLS(4)
4PETES(3)

2FRONTENACS(4)
3COLTS(3)
CF
1BULLS(4)
2FRONTENACS(3)

WEST
1.Knights(DOMI)
2.Storm(DICKINSON)
3.Rangers(BAILEY)
4.Attack(BRACE)
5.Otters(MCDAVID)
6.Spitfires(RYCHEL)
7.Greyhounds(NURSE)
8.Whalers(WILSON)
-------------
9.Spirit(LODGE)
10.Sting(GOLDOBIN)
QF
1KNIGHTS(4)
8WHALERS(1)

2STORM(4)
7GREYHOUNDS(1)

3RANGER(3)
6SPITFIRES(4)

4ATTACK(0)
5OTTERS(4)
SF
1KNIGHTS(4)
6SPITFIRES(3)

2STORM(4)
5OTTERS(2)
CF
1KNIGHTS(4)
2STORM(3)

KNIGHTS(3)
VS
lol... Waaaay to early for this but interesting anyways!

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:43 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

vCash: 200
Quote:
EAST
1.Bulls(GAUNCE)
2.Frontenacs(BENNETT)
3.Colts(EKBLAD)
4.Petes(RITCHIE)
5.Battalion(GOODROW)
6.Wolves(CAMPAGNA)
7.Generals(DAL COLLE)
8.Steelheads(SMOSKOWITZ)
9.Ice Dogs(VERHAEGHE)
10.67's(KONECNY)
QF
1BULLS(4)
8STEELHEADS(3)

2FRONTENACS(4)
7GENERALS(0)

3COLTS(4)
6WOLVES(2)

4PETES(4)
5BATTALION(3)
SF
1BULLS(4)
4PETES(3)

2FRONTENACS(4)
3COLTS(3)
CF
1BULLS(4)
2FRONTENACS(3)

WEST
1.Knights(DOMI)
2.Storm(DICKINSON)
3.Rangers(BAILEY)
4.Attack(BRACE)
5.Otters(MCDAVID)
6.Spitfires(RYCHEL)
7.Greyhounds(NURSE)
8.Whalers(WILSON)
-------------
9.Spirit(LODGE)
10.Sting(GOLDOBIN)
QF
1KNIGHTS(4)
8WHALERS(1)

2STORM(4)
7GREYHOUNDS(1)

3RANGER(3)
6SPITFIRES(4)

4ATTACK(0)
5OTTERS(4)
SF
1KNIGHTS(4)
6SPITFIRES(3)

2STORM(4)
5OTTERS(2)
CF
1KNIGHTS(4)
2STORM(3)

KNIGHTS(3)
VS
Predictions are always fun, even if it is very early. I would put Saginaw in the top 4 and perhaps lower Kitchener a bit.

ErieOttersNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:06 PM
FrontenacSens

Quote:
EAST
1.Bulls(GAUNCE)
2.Frontenacs(BENNETT)
3.Colts(EKBLAD)
4.Petes(RITCHIE)
5.Battalion(GOODROW)
6.Wolves(CAMPAGNA)
7.Generals(DAL COLLE)
8.Steelheads(SMOSKOWITZ)
9.Ice Dogs(VERHAEGHE)
10.67's(KONECNY)
QF
1BULLS(4)
8STEELHEADS(3)

2FRONTENACS(4)
7GENERALS(0)

3COLTS(4)
6WOLVES(2)

4PETES(4)
5BATTALION(3)
SF
1BULLS(4)
4PETES(3)

2FRONTENACS(4)
3COLTS(3)
CF
1BULLS(4)
2FRONTENACS(3)

WEST
1.Knights(DOMI)
2.Storm(DICKINSON)
3.Rangers(BAILEY)
4.Attack(BRACE)
5.Otters(MCDAVID)
6.Spitfires(RYCHEL)
7.Greyhounds(NURSE)
8.Whalers(WILSON)
-------------
9.Spirit(LODGE)
10.Sting(GOLDOBIN)
QF
1KNIGHTS(4)
8WHALERS(1)

2STORM(4)
7GREYHOUNDS(1)

3RANGER(3)
6SPITFIRES(4)

4ATTACK(0)
5OTTERS(4)
SF
1KNIGHTS(4)
6SPITFIRES(3)

2STORM(4)
5OTTERS(2)
CF
1KNIGHTS(4)
2STORM(3)

KNIGHTS(3)
VS
I'm okay with this because Kingston finishes 2nd and wins 2 rounds!

FrontenacSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Snippit

I'll take a stab at this for the West.

London
Guelph (on points...dumb division rule)
Saginaw (Eric Locke?)
Windsor
Plymouth
Erie
OS
Kitchener
SSM
Sarnia

Seems like a down year for the West. Sarnia, SSM, Kitchener, Owen Sound are rebuilding. Plymouth is always a tough team to beat, and they never seem to rebuild, but they don't look like a contender. Windsor doesn't even look particularly strong to me.

I predict the top 3 teams finish well ahead of the pack. Bottom 4 is a crapshoot.

Snippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 09:59 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
I'll take a stab at this for the West.

London
Guelph (on points...dumb division rule)
Saginaw (Eric Locke?)
Windsor
Plymouth
Erie
OS
Kitchener
SSM
Sarnia

Seems like a down year for the West. Sarnia, SSM, Kitchener, Owen Sound are rebuilding. Plymouth is always a tough team to beat, and they never seem to rebuild, but they don't look like a contender. Windsor doesn't even look particularly strong to me.

I predict the top 3 teams finish well ahead of the pack. Bottom 4 is a crapshoot.
Gotta flip Saginaw and Guelph, since Guelph can't finish in second with London in first. Obviously I'm biased here but I think Erie is going to be better than Plymouth and Windsor w/ Burakovsky coming and a trade for defense likely.

ErieOttersNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 11:25 AM
FrontenacSens

1.colts
2.bulls
3.frontenacs
4.wolves
5.batallion
6.petes
7.generals
8.ice dogs
9.67s
10.steelheads

1.london
2.saginaw
3.plymouth
4.erie
5.windsor
6.owen sound
7.guelph
8.kitchener
9.sarnia
10.ssm

FrontenacSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Didn't throw out a full prediction when the thread first started but here goes:

West
1) London
2) Saginaw
3) Guelph
4) Erie
5) Windsor
6) OS
7) Plymouth
8) SSM
9) Kitchener
10) Sarnia

Don't follow the east enough to throw out a prediction.

Kingpin794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 07:45 PM
battfan888

For me the east is way to hard to pick, much like going into last year there doesnt seem to be that clear cut number 1-2 like in the few years before with Niagara, Missy and Barrie. While Barrie and Belleville led the way last year they weren't the clear cut front runners until the second half.

The teams that I think are set up for the best seasons in the east historically are let downs but I think Sudbury could be a #1 team in the east with some tweaking. Kingston COULD be dangerous but I'm not sure if they are ready yet.

Barrie and Belleville I dont think will be too bad but at the same time I cant see them leading the pack again unless they reload via some trades.

North Bay could be solid however I have heard some rumours about Goodrow being traded and the last time the Battalion went with a 17 year old starter it blew up in their face, though I do think Jake Smith is miles ahead of Jacob Riley.

Ottawa looks like they are in for another tough season. A lot of people seem to think Missy and Niagara will have down years as well.

How does Oshawa look this year?

Now that I have Storm season tickets I guess I should be paying attention to those west predictions a bit more closely this year. I do know the Storm goaltending looks horrible right now though they seem pretty solid on forward and D, get a good goalie and maybe a few tweaks they could make some noise.

Lets go North Bay and Guelph!

battfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote