HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Tor-Buf

Old
07-25-2013, 07:43 PM
TheWook

vCash: 500
Ah yes, The leafs make the playoffs once and all of a sudden everyone on the team is superstar. Myers is so bad that everyone wants to acquire him.

He is away from Lindy Ruff, he should bounce back.

TheWook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:48 PM
lifeisruff

I feel like I'm about to have a "leave Brittany alone" moment regarding Myers. Not that he hasn't lived up to his Calder Trophy year, and not that the Chara comparison is a good one. But damn I hope he proves everyone wrong.

JVR isn't exactly a stud you know, he's not Yakupov people, he's had one good (lockout shorten) season and that's it. Other then that he has been widely regarded as a disappointment.

It's funny seeing leaf fans writing Myers off as a bust when JVR's best year was when he turned 24, and Myers is still only 23. In addition traditionally defense takes more time to develop then wing.

Last edited by lifeisruff: 07-25-2013 at 07:59 PM.
lifeisruff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:52 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Bozak View Post
Buffalo has to add.

Myers + Hodgson + 2nd might get you JVR
JVR has scored less points in each of the last 2 seasons than Hodgson, is a year older, and plays the less important position, but the difference between him and Cody is somehow Myers and a high 2nd? Keep dreaming.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:55 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

I think the value is quite fair, but it's a tough deal to say yes or no to, good proposal OP.

edit: I'm a Leafs fan and I love JVR, I think he'll be a 30-30 player, but Myers is getting quite underrated, talent doesn't just disappear and he's got tonnes and size.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:56 PM
AustonPowers
The Kids Are Alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
JVR has scored less points in each of the last 2 seasons than Hodgson, is a year older, and plays the less important position, but the difference between him and Cody is somehow Myers and a high 2nd? Keep dreaming.
Agree 100 percent with the disdain for this offer.....It's like adding Kadri (ish) for no apparent reason. I don't do the initial deal from Leafs perspective but the value isn't terribad. Both have immense upside but have shown inconsistencies.

AustonPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:59 PM
LeafsNation149

vCash: 268
1. Too much cap
2. Schenn > Myers and JVR > Schenn

LeafsNation149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Buffalo has to add.

that's ridiculous and you know it.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:08 PM
BananaSquad

Quote:
Buffalo has to add.

Wow

BananaSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:11 PM
KJS14

I understand not liking the trade, but the value is pretty fair. If anything, the Leafs would need to add a mid-round pick. I don't know why all the Leafs fans are laughing.

KJS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:12 PM
lifeisruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsNation149 View Post
1. Too much cap
That explains why you guys were so desperate to get rid of Schenn 2 years ago

Last edited by lifeisruff: 07-25-2013 at 08:19 PM.
lifeisruff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Caesium

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS14 View Post
I understand not liking the trade, but the value is pretty fair. If anything, the Leafs would need to add a mid-round pick. I don't know why all the Leafs fans are laughing.
This Leaf fan isn't laughing. I would be willing to part with JVR to acquire Myers. Myers at his best is better than JVR at his best, I think that's pretty easy to admit. The concern comes from the down year Myers had, which there are excuses for. That just means the risk is high in this sort of trade, although there is risk on Buffalo's side in the sense that JVR might not play at a 34 goal pace next season.

The framework of JVR for Myers doesn't really work for Toronto in terms of cap hits, Toronto has to be shedding more salary than it gets in this trade or else they simply can't make it. Acquiring another D would also create an even larger jam for Toronto, so the logical way of shedding cap + roster space is to make the framework of the deal something like JVR + Liles for Myers.

I think the consensus would probably say that the Leafs would need to add more in this situation since Liles is essentially a negative value player after his concussion issues. I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe the trade looks like...

To Buffalo:
JVR
Liles
1st round pick in 2014

To Toronto:
Myers
2nd round pick in 2014
Conditional 3rd round pick in 2015 based on how Liles performs.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:37 PM
WilliamNylander
Playoffs???

vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsNation149 View Post
1. Too much cap
Seriously. Yes Myers had a good season but that's it. He hasn't been great and his trade value is at an all time low

WilliamNylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:39 PM
EscapeGoat
We The North

Value isn't there. Nope.

EscapeGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Mahleezer

I can see why Buffalo fans would now be willing to trade Myers more easily seeing the 2 defensive beasts the sabres drafted this year.

Mahleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Quares27

I think it's fair value but i'd rather keep JVR at this point. And we can't afford to take on more salary

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:55 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahleezer View Post
I can see why Buffalo fans would now be willing to trade Myers more easily seeing the 2 defensive beasts the sabres drafted this year.
Buffalo has to be right about those guys first before trading Myers makes any kind of sense. As of right now, there's no way of knowing that they'll even be successful NHLers. Maybe in a year or 3 if Pysyk and Ristolainen have started to push Myers down the depth chart and he still hasn't become the d-man everyone thought he could after his stellar rookie season...

Old
07-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Mahleezer

I just hope he doesn't end up being another Jim Carey

Mahleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:23 PM
dustybreaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post
I feel like I'm about to have a "leave Brittany alone" moment regarding Myers. Not that he hasn't lived up to his Calder Trophy year, and not that the Chara comparison is a good one. But damn I hope he proves everyone wrong.

JVR isn't exactly a stud you know, he's not Yakupov people, he's had one good (lockout shorten) season and that's it. Other then that he has been widely regarded as a disappointment.

It's funny seeing leaf fans writing Myers off as a bust when JVR's best year was when he turned 24, and Myers is still only 23. In addition traditionally defense takes more time to develop then wing.
best post in this thread honestly.

dustybreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Buffalo says no, as well.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:32 PM
firstemperor

Tyler Myers has looked awful at times and even at his best, is arguably not worth that contract. Way too much risk on our end to give up a proven commodity, on a much better deal, and just as much upside.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:39 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
Tyler Myers has looked awful at times and even at his best, is arguably not worth that contract. Way too much risk on our end to give up a proven commodity, on a much better deal, and just as much upside.
1) If you don't think he's worth that contract at his best, either you're severely underrating his best or your memory is just incredibly short.
2) How is JVR a more proven commodity? Until this (short) season, he's been considered a pretty big disappointment.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:40 PM
BlazingWithCharizard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
This Leaf fan isn't laughing. I would be willing to part with JVR to acquire Myers. Myers at his best is better than JVR at his best, I think that's pretty easy to admit. The concern comes from the down year Myers had, which there are excuses for. That just means the risk is high in this sort of trade, although there is risk on Buffalo's side in the sense that JVR might not play at a 34 goal pace next season.

The framework of JVR for Myers doesn't really work for Toronto in terms of cap hits, Toronto has to be shedding more salary than it gets in this trade or else they simply can't make it. Acquiring another D would also create an even larger jam for Toronto, so the logical way of shedding cap + roster space is to make the framework of the deal something like JVR + Liles for Myers.

I think the consensus would probably say that the Leafs would need to add more in this situation since Liles is essentially a negative value player after his concussion issues. I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe the trade looks like...

To Buffalo:
JVR
Liles
1st round pick in 2014

To Toronto:
Myers
2nd round pick in 2014
Conditional 3rd round pick in 2015 based on how Liles performs.

no thanks, leafs arent giving up our first overall. We dont even want myers to begin with

BlazingWithCharizard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:15 AM
couture23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
1) If you don't think he's worth that contract at his best, either you're severely underrating his best or your memory is just incredibly short.
2) How is JVR a more proven commodity? Until this (short) season, he's been considered a pretty big disappointment.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Leaf fans don't realize that JVR was at times, a major disappointment in Philadelphia. They have only seen him for a shortened season in Toronto where he played the best hockey of his life. Let us wait and see what he does under Carlyle's system for a full 82.

JVR is no more proven than Myers, not at all.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:30 AM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

Why the hell did we trade Luke Schenn for a Big Forward if we are just going to trade him for another top RD.

Makes no sense from the Leafs.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:48 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernier the Boats View Post

LW James van Riemsdyk (5 years, 4.25M/season)

RD Tyler Myers (6 years, 5.5M/season)

Discuss.
Buffalo needs to add a lot

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote