HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-13 MLB Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooneyConnSmythe12 View Post
When Hafner stepped up to plate a minute ago the only thought that crossed my mind was please don't ground into a double play... It was really nice of the Yankees to schedule a road trip to Texas a week after I moved to Fort Worth but they forgot to bring the team.
They have been doing that all year. I don't expect the team to ever show up anywhere.

Old
07-22-2013, 10:43 PM
RooneyConnSmythe12
Temporary avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
They have been doing that all year. I don't expect the team to ever show up anywhere.
Yeah, this is probably the worst Yankee team since I went to my first game in 92. If the Boss were alive today he would probably murder his sons. On a lighter note, I discovered that baseball is yet another sport where Rangers fans are the worst.

Old
07-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
T.J. Quinn ‏@TJQuinnESPN 51m
Source also tells OTL evidence provided about A-Rod is "far beyond" what Bosch gave them re Braun.

Not looking good for A-Rod
He'll be suspended for sure, the question is just for how long now.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Yankees close to acquiring Alfonso Soriano...

Old
07-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Interesting. A return to the Big Apple would be pretty cool. Having a fairly decent season too.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

This is a bad move. The Yankees are going to need a rebuild, and trading what little prospects we have away for an aging player is not what we need. They just need to accept the fact that this is a lost year. Nobody could of predicted this many injuries. We are down to our 4th string 3B for god's sake, and he got hurt last night!

Not a smart decision.

Old
07-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He'll be suspended for sure, the question is just for how long now.
Listening to the Sportsnet radio waiting for Lou.

They said MLB Sources told David Axelrod that Arod could face a lifetime ban (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE)

ESPN sources say something more in line with Braun, but basically Arod is trying to cut some sort of deal.

Old
07-23-2013, 04:55 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

How would they even get away with a lifetime ban? He doesn't have a failed test on his public record per se, though he did allegedly fail the anonymous test way back when, and also admitted he did roids so that probably gets MLB past level one (50 games), but I don't see how they can impose more than 100 for this.

Old
07-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
How would they even get away with a lifetime ban? He doesn't have a failed test on his public record per se, though he did allegedly fail the anonymous test way back when, and also admitted he did roids so that probably gets MLB past level one (50 games), but I don't see how they can impose more than 100 for this.
Well the rumor apparently is they have a lot of dirt on him from this mess. Maybe he was not only using from the receipts but dealing? IDK

Old
07-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
There's definitely some gray area on this, so its definitely seeing how far they can stretch a punishment based on their evidence. But they could probably really pull a "conduct detrimental to baseball" kind of angle. And once you get into that... it kind of becomes a matter of opinion on how severe the punishment can really be for what the issue is.

Old
07-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
RotoExperts.com ‏@RotoExperts 43s
#Yankees third basemen Alex Rodriguez could be facing a lifetime ban from baseball, per CBS New York.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:11 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Nice win Yanks and Mo is the man.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Scottyk9
Blackhawks bandwagon

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
The last two baseball games I've ever been to Sori has gone yard.

2000 or 2001 I forget ALDS vs the Mariners...he hits a walk off in extra's to win it.

2 weeks ago I was at Wrigley and he hit back to back 2 run homers

Old
07-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
A-Rod will never be banned for life. The PA would fight that and win

Old
07-24-2013, 06:10 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Interesting. I guess they always come back for another go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
RotoExperts.com ‏@RotoExperts 43s
#Yankees third basemen Alex Rodriguez could be facing a lifetime ban from baseball, per CBS New York.
I don't think they'd go with something that extreme, but ya I do expect him to be banned for at least a year.

Old
07-24-2013, 07:45 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

I've heard that A-Rod being banned for life rumor as well a month ago. I think Selig is going to drop the hammer on A-Rod. Big time.

Old
07-25-2013, 08:31 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

So I just got into an argument with a Mets fan who is a good friend of mine. I am a Yankees fan BTW. He's trying to convince me that A-Rod's contract is so bad, it's gonna destroy the Yankees. I tried to use the Pujols contract as a comparable. For the record, I am by no means trying to say A-Rod's contract isn't bad.

Here's the breakdown of both contracts.

Rodriguez's 10 year $275m contract was given to him after having a career year.
Pujols's 10 year $240m contract was given to him after having a down year.

Rodriguez's contract was front loaded which means the highest paid years were in theory going to be the best years.
Pujols's contract is back loaded which means the highest paid years are in theory going to be his declining seasons.

Rodriguez gets paid $21m in the final year of his contract at age 42.
Pujols gets paid $30m in the final year of his contract at age 41.

Some other factors to include is that A-Rod still had three 30 and 100 seasons under his contract including a monster 2009 postseason helping the Yankees win the World Series.
Pujols is in only year 2 of his contract showing signs of significant decline.

So which contract will end up being "less bad"?

Old
07-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Scott04

A-Rod's is and will be the worse one until it either expires or comes off their books somehow. Pujols doesn't bring all of the controversy and off-field problems that A-rod has. And the biggest issue with the A-Rod deal and its impact on the Yankees is the team's desire to manage a certain budget. He's essentially dead space and only hindering the ability to meet that budget and put together the quality of team they should have with such a payroll. Pujols may not be what he once was now or later on in that contract, but he's a good way away from being "dead space" to the extent that A-Rod already is.

Old
07-25-2013, 08:48 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
A-Rod's is and will be the worse one until it either expires or comes off their books somehow. Pujols doesn't bring all of the controversy and off-field problems that A-rod has. And the biggest issue with the A-Rod deal and its impact on the Yankees is the team's desire to manage a certain budget. He's essentially dead space and only hindering the ability to meet that budget and put together the quality of team they should have with such a payroll. Pujols may not be what he once was now or later on in that contract, but he's a good way away from being "dead space" to the extent that A-Rod already is.
Fair enough. But you would have to agree that this won't destroy the Yankees no matter how bad this circumstance is.

Also if Pujols's rapid decline continues and his health continues to fail him, the backloading of his contract will hurt the Angels a lot IMO.

Also, if A-Rod ever plays again, we have no idea how useful he will be. But at least his highest paid seasons are behind us.

I am hopeful he will get this lifetime ban that I keep reading about. Very unlikely though. The Yankees won't have to pay him if that happens.

Old
07-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGreene06 View Post
Fair enough. But you would have to agree that this won't destroy the Yankees no matter how bad this circumstance is.

Also if Pujols's rapid decline continues and his health continues to fail him, the backloading of his contract will hurt the Angels a lot IMO.

Also, if A-Rod ever plays again, we have no idea how useful he will be. But at least his highest paid seasons are behind us.

I am hopeful he will get this lifetime ban that I keep reading about. Very unlikely though. The Yankees won't have to pay him if that happens.
Your first and third sentence cancel each other out. The A-Rod deal never really makes a difference to the Yankees financially because they can easily afford to write the checks, be it with a balance salary or not. The whole budget thing is to lessen the luxury tax/get around the way the system hits you with the biggest penalties. Not because they can't afford it. As far as the Yankees are concerned, its a moot point if they're paying him $20 mil next year or $30 mil because of front or backloading. You really can't use that as any form of support for his contract being less bad when its irrelevant to the team itself.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:13 AM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
http://m.weei.com/sports/boston/base...act-represente

We need more people like this in sports. Took most like 10-15 million dollars less per year then what he could of to stay and help build a winning team

His agents told him to wait ask for even more. He said he didn't care, he wanted to leave them money to help them contend every year

Ian Kinsler got 15 million per year , Pedroia took 13 . He is a better 2nd basement by a pretty large margin . Then with Cano's deal in the summer he could of gotten a MASSIVE deal

Old
07-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Quote:
Such an odd move.

Soriano was my favorite Yankee when he was on the team so as much as I want him I dont

Old
07-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
they got him for free basically lol a low level prospect and the Cubs paid most of the money

he cant be worse than some of the turds they've thrown out there.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
they got him for free basically lol a low level prospect and the Cubs paid most of the money

he cant be worse than some of the turds they've thrown out there.
I actually haven't thought of who they would give up to get him. I don't mind it if it's for a prospect and the Cubs will probably pay a chunk of his contract.

Is there anyone on the team under 30?

Old
07-26-2013, 08:17 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Ouch! The slow mo of this video really puts the whole injury into perspective.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...183210049.html

Closed Thread