HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames-Flyers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2013, 11:54 AM
  #26
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Really? A top 4 of Timonen, Schenn, Streit and Coburn seems pretty terrible for a team that is expecting to try and compete.

Timonen's a decent number 1 guy if his age doesn't catch up to him but at 38 he's bound to lose a step some time. Schenn seems like a number 3 guy. He could play on the top pairing but I wouldn't call him a number 2, at least yet. While Streit was already losing traction at the end of this year. He's 35, he might not bounce back from his injury so easily. If that's why he was playing like he was. And the Flyer management must see something different after that last contract but I definitely don't think Coburn is anything more than a number 4 on a team with crappy depth. I suppose Gustafsson enters the equation, but he has quite the ways to go before sneaking into a top 4 position.

I understand not wanting to move Schenn for a top 4 defenseman (and Giordano's a top 2) but no need at all? I have a feeling this year the Flyer fanbase will do the unthinkable and blame the goaltending if things don't go to well.
No thanks. The Flyers are not moving either of the Schenns right now. Luke had a really good season and it looks like Pronger's influence has really helped this young man's game. Luke is a keeper and a strong building block for the back end. Brayden is another of the youth core that Holmgren has put together. The brass are happy with this young man and are willing to be patient with him. They see him as being a big part of this team's future and are not looking to move him. Even though I like Mark,I pass on that deal. So the Flyers say no thanks.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:22 PM
  #27
Signature
Robin Williams RIP
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
that doesnt mean anything if it means he has a shot at a cup and he won't be getting that in CGY over the next two seasons.

Maybe not this season, but next year in the last year of his contract, if a cup contender inquires about him, why would he stay in CGY?
I see that you've posted over 18,000 times. But it's a shame you've read less posts than you have made.

Glencross won't be asked to waive his NMC. If you read any thread where he is involved, it's a constant "it's not going to happen, please stop asking" for a very good reason and every other thread will tell you why.

Calgary doesn't do the trade because they can get more from dealing each player mentioned separately.

These discussions go nowhere.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:24 PM
  #28
Signature
Robin Williams RIP
 
Signature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
No thanks. The Flyers are not moving either of the Schenns right now. Luke had a really good season and it looks like Pronger's influence has really helped this young man's game. Luke is a keeper and a strong building block for the back end.
Just curious, but aside from cap relief, what services does Pronger provide to the locker room / organization right now? Has he been active around the rink? Do you think he will be at training camp to help training staff?

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:29 PM
  #29
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Just curious, but aside from cap relief, what services does Pronger provide to the locker room / organization right now? Has he been active around the rink? Do you think he will be at training camp to help training staff?
He was here last year and I believe he did some off-ice stuff with Luke Schenn. He'll definitely have to make an appearance for his physical. Honestly though, I'm not sure what his involvment is during the year and I assume his locker room involvment is close to 0.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:30 PM
  #30
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder
 
NitHeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Just curious, but aside from cap relief, what services does Pronger provide to the locker room / organization right now? Has he been active around the rink? Do you think he will be at training camp to help training staff?
He sat in on draft discussions and has done some scouting for the team.

NitHeel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:20 PM
  #31
Zirakzigil
Registered User
 
Zirakzigil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
Flames would never do this trade. They could get a better return by splitting Gio and Glencross into desperate trades. That's completely ignoring the fact that Glencross has no interest in waiving.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 04:39 PM
  #32
domaug*
Flahr Pahr
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Archbald, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post


I'm pretty sure he would wait it to go to any other team, aside from maybe 2 others
you're completely wrong here. there's a reason Calgary signed him to such a good deal: because he loves playing there (among other reasons that played a big role in him staying with Calgary).

about this offer: it's horrible for Calgary and neither of those players would likely waive to go to Philly (ESPECIALLY Glencross).

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:21 PM
  #33
FlyerFire
Registered User
 
FlyerFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,129
vCash: 500
You make this seem like Schenn is an expendable asset.HE IS NOT. We paid a hefty price for him and Simmonds. Not moving now especially after we acquired his brother Luke. It just wont happen but keep proposing

FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:34 PM
  #34
First round bust
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
that doesnt mean anything if it means he has a shot at a cup and he won't be getting that in CGY over the next two seasons.

Maybe not this season, but next year in the last year of his contract, if a cup contender inquires about him, why would he stay in CGY?
He has made it clear he has no intention of moving outside of alberta, he has gone on record several times about this.

First round bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:49 PM
  #35
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
Just curious, but aside from cap relief, what services does Pronger provide to the locker room / organization right now? Has he been active around the rink? Do you think he will be at training camp to help training staff?
he does after practice film work with schenn and he traveled with the team a little bit. al McGinnis was a pretty big help to him and I think hes just looking to pay if forward

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:55 PM
  #36
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post


I'm pretty sure he would wait it to go to any other team, aside from maybe 2 others
Since when is the team that finished with the 11th overall pick such a huge upgrade?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:58 PM
  #37
seanerixon
Registered User
 
seanerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Really? A top 4 of Timonen, Schenn, Streit and Coburn seems pretty terrible for a team that is expecting to try and compete.

Timonen's a decent number 1 guy if his age doesn't catch up to him but at 38 he's bound to lose a step some time. Schenn seems like a number 3 guy. He could play on the top pairing but I wouldn't call him a number 2, at least yet. While Streit was already losing traction at the end of this year. He's 35, he might not bounce back from his injury so easily. If that's why he was playing like he was. And the Flyer management must see something different after that last contract but I definitely don't think Coburn is anything more than a number 4 on a team with crappy depth. I suppose Gustafsson enters the equation, but he has quite the ways to go before sneaking into a top 4 position.

I understand not wanting to move Schenn for a top 4 defenseman (and Giordano's a top 2) but no need at all? I have a feeling this year the Flyer fanbase will do the unthinkable and blame the goaltending if things don't go to well.
What the hell? Are you comparing it to an all star team?? What five teams wouldn't have Coburn in their top 4?

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:30 PM
  #38
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount
 
mcphllp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Glencross would not likely waive to go to Philly.

And I'm not sure the Flames really need Schenn at this point. They've got Monahan now with Jankowski in the wings.

Also under 25 they have Backlund and Reinhart.
lol...don't need schenn...wake up

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:13 AM
  #39
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
lol...don't need schenn...wake up
Umm they don't. Before they drafted Monahan maybe.

At this point I'd rather trade those assets for something other than a centre.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:21 AM
  #40
KJS14
Registered User
 
KJS14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Umm they don't. Before they drafted Monahan maybe.

At this point I'd rather trade those assets for something other than a centre.
I don't think you need Schenn, but you still need a #1 center (which Schenn is not). Monahan will be a good 2-way #2C. The Flames should just stay put and build through the draft.

KJS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 08:23 AM
  #41
StoneHands
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 993
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Really? A top 4 of Timonen, Schenn, Streit and Coburn seems pretty terrible for a team that is expecting to try and compete.

Timonen's a decent number 1 guy if his age doesn't catch up to him but at 38 he's bound to lose a step some time. Schenn seems like a number 3 guy. He could play on the top pairing but I wouldn't call him a number 2, at least yet. While Streit was already losing traction at the end of this year. He's 35, he might not bounce back from his injury so easily. If that's why he was playing like he was. And the Flyer management must see something different after that last contract but I definitely don't think Coburn is anything more than a number 4 on a team with crappy depth. I suppose Gustafsson enters the equation, but he has quite the ways to go before sneaking into a top 4 position.

I understand not wanting to move Schenn for a top 4 defenseman (and Giordano's a top 2) but no need at all? I have a feeling this year the Flyer fanbase will do the unthinkable and blame the goaltending if things don't go to well.
You just answered your own sarcastic response/question. Giordano is not a top 2 defenseman and you just named all the guys ont he Flyers that are NOT top pairing defenseman.

Timonen is a #1 or #2 if he slows down.
Coburn is most certainly a top 4 defenseman and for the last few years had been 1 or 2 in terms of TOI. He had a bad year last year along with the rest of the team, dont have such a short memory.
Schenn is easily a #3.
Streit needs to play with someone like Schenn that will stay at home but he's still a top 4.
Meszaros when healthy is a #4.
Gustafsson looks really promising and most Flyers fans think he will be playing top 4 minutes this year or next.

Basically the Flyers have 6 guys that could play in the top 4 but only 1 that is a true top pairing player so they basically have 5 guys battling to play on the second pairing and a void on the top pairing. The Flyers need a #1 to take over for Timonen and since Giordano is a second pairing defenseman, he would be redundant at best.

Get it now?

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 09:10 AM
  #42
roboninja
EYG
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post


I'm pretty sure he would wait it to go to any other team, aside from maybe 2 others
And the wrong answer award goes to...

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 09:13 AM
  #43
Flamesfan 26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 681
vCash: 500
I do love Schenn but giving up our two best players isn't a good idea. I would do both the Schenn's for Gio and Glenx tho. The' Flames would even eat 1.5M cap hit from Gio.

Flamesfan 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 09:21 AM
  #44
madmike77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS14 View Post
I don't think you need Schenn, but you still need a #1 center (which Schenn is not). Monahan will be a good 2-way #2C. The Flames should just stay put and build through the draft.
Yes I would agree with that. To me Monahan = Schenn - both are ideally 2Cs.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 09:57 AM
  #45
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!
 
Hockeypete49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
he does after practice film work with schenn and he traveled with the team a little bit. al McGinnis was a pretty big help to him and I think hes just looking to pay if forward
That is pretty much it. He really has had a impact on being a pro's pro on the young players. Luke really looks up to him and how he handles himself, both on and off the ice. I will say that I am really impressed how mature both of the Schenn boys are. I hope they are here for years and years to come. Their style of play fits how the Orange and Black are viewed, at least by me

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:56 AM
  #46
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,776
vCash: 500
First thought, is that's not enough for Giordano alone... especially if Calgary is retaining salary. Glencross has repeatedly said he won't waive.

__________________
"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:00 AM
  #47
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
You just answered your own sarcastic response/question. Giordano is not a top 2 defenseman and you just named all the guys ont he Flyers that are NOT top pairing defenseman.

Timonen is a #1 or #2 if he slows down.
Coburn is most certainly a top 4 defenseman and for the last few years had been 1 or 2 in terms of TOI. He had a bad year last year along with the rest of the team, dont have such a short memory.
Schenn is easily a #3.
Streit needs to play with someone like Schenn that will stay at home but he's still a top 4.
Meszaros when healthy is a #4.
Gustafsson looks really promising and most Flyers fans think he will be playing top 4 minutes this year or next.

Basically the Flyers have 6 guys that could play in the top 4 but only 1 that is a true top pairing player so they basically have 5 guys battling to play on the second pairing and a void on the top pairing. The Flyers need a #1 to take over for Timonen and since Giordano is a second pairing defenseman, he would be redundant at best.

Get it now?
Timo is not a #1 in this league. He's a top pairing as long as he can skate. 2nd pairing if he starts to slow down.
Coburn is a top 4 D in this league. With the right partner, could likely play as a top pairing guy.
Scheen is a 2nd pairing guy right now, however there's room to grow.
Streit is easily a top 4.
Mez and Grossmann are both top 4 D.

That said, Gio is easily better than Cobourn, Grossmann and Schenn.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:23 PM
  #48
JS19
Four Kicks
 
JS19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Shark Tank
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Flyers won't be trading a Schenn, and Flames won't be trading Glencross (since he LOVES Calgary).

JS19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:36 PM
  #49
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,778
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS14 View Post
I don't think you need Schenn, but you still need a #1 center (which Schenn is not). Monahan will be a good 2-way #2C. The Flames should just stay put and build through the draft.
Does your crystal ball also tell you when your goalie problem is finally gonna be fixed?


You have no idea what Monahan will be. He could end up as a great two-way #1 or an elite #3, lets see the kid play at least one game before we decide on what he will be.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.