HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (2012 draft) III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-12-2013, 09:55 PM
  #976
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
Thats not really a surprise actually, theres a reason he dropped in the draft a lot of the scouts probably saw the same concerns. That being said, there is no denying the skill he possesses and if he is able to put it all together he will be one of the best players out of the 2012 draft.
As for concerns that Grigorenko isn't dominating the Q, thats understandable actually, playing in the NHL and then the QMJHL can also have a negative effect on a player. I am pretty sure his confidence took a hit when he was sent down and so his play suffered. But next season, he will come out strong and hopefully the Sabres don't rush him and let him play in the Q for another year, should do him wonders. Unless he can play in the AHL?
He should be fine next year. His play this year at the NHL level was screwed up.

Playing another year in Q will NOT help him. He needs to play in the NHL or the AHL.

This is why i feel the rules on the AHL need to change where 1st and 2nd round picks are automatically eligible for AHL...no matter the age. Its just the teams choics.

The reason he fell had more to do with the uncertainty because of him being Russian and the KHL threat. the team that own his rights seemed to threaten that they will try and swoop in and sign him to play....which would be a higher amount than what the NHL team could pay him.

Id rather have him loaned to the KHL team than play in the Q next year.

Djp is offline  
Old
04-12-2013, 10:56 PM
  #977
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
He should be fine next year. His play this year at the NHL level was screwed up.

Playing another year in Q will NOT help him. He needs to play in the NHL or the AHL.

This is why i feel the rules on the AHL need to change where 1st and 2nd round picks are automatically eligible for AHL...no matter the age. Its just the teams choics.

The reason he fell had more to do with the uncertainty because of him being Russian and the KHL threat. the team that own his rights seemed to threaten that they will try and swoop in and sign him to play....which would be a higher amount than what the NHL team could pay him.

Id rather have him loaned to the KHL team than play in the Q next year.
The reason he fell is because he is enigmatic, shows up for some games but not others. All the talent in the world but will lack drive at times, hopfully he starts working harder and realises that he cant take shortcuts. He is still the best prospect picked after Trouba in the draft and easily worth the risk at #12.

With all the negativity he still nearly put up 2PPG.

1972 is online now  
Old
04-13-2013, 12:03 AM
  #978
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS2DCUP View Post
Thats not really a surprise actually, theres a reason he dropped in the draft a lot of the scouts probably saw the same concerns. That being said, there is no denying the skill he possesses and if he is able to put it all together he will be one of the best players out of the 2012 draft.
As for concerns that Grigorenko isn't dominating the Q, thats understandable actually, playing in the NHL and then the QMJHL can also have a negative effect on a player. I am pretty sure his confidence took a hit when he was sent down and so his play suffered. But next season, he will come out strong and hopefully the Sabres don't rush him and let him play in the Q for another year, should do him wonders. Unless he can play in the AHL?
Would rather see him loaned to the KHL than back in the Q if he's not ready for the NHL still. Not sure what he's going to learn playing against boys that he can dominate when he feels like it, or when he can cut corners and still produce well over a PPG.

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 10:28 AM
  #979
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name
 
FormerRedwingFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Sounds like the key to his career is in his head

FormerRedwingFan is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 10:36 AM
  #980
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Would rather see him loaned to the KHL than back in the Q if he's not ready for the NHL still. Not sure what he's going to learn playing against boys that he can dominate when he feels like it, or when he can cut corners and still produce well over a PPG.
Impossible. There is no business partnership between KHL and NHL clubs. If he goes there,(and doesn't respect his NHL contract with Buffalo) I am afraid he's gonna stay there.

The kid should be allright to start the season in Buffalo next Fall. Too bad they lost one precious year of eligibilty on his entry contract.

Habtchum* is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 11:38 AM
  #981
WantEggRoll
Registered User
 
WantEggRoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,760
vCash: 177
Didn't read the full 40 pages of this thread, but did they ever solve his "age rumor"? Thought there was some stupid story going around before the draft that he was actually 19 or 20.

WantEggRoll is offline  
Old
04-13-2013, 11:43 AM
  #982
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Impossible. There is no business partnership between KHL and NHL clubs. If he goes there,(and doesn't respect his NHL contract with Buffalo) I am afraid he's gonna stay there.

The kid should be allright to start the season in Buffalo next Fall. Too bad they lost one precious year of eligibilty on his entry contract.
No, he's already under contract with Buffalo. Buffalo can absolutely loan him to the KHL if they want; as long as he's under contract to Buffalo he'll still have to come back, and there's absolutely nothing the kid's done to suggest he doesn't want to be an NHL player besides. Bruins loaned out Kokhalachev (sp?) to the KHL. It's a viable option, and one that'll do far, far more for his development, IMO, than playing another year of junior hockey

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Old
04-15-2013, 10:13 AM
  #983
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,483
vCash: 500
Awards:
Any rumblings out of Quebec where he's heading (Rochester or Buffalo) now that the Remparts season is over?

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 11:00 AM
  #984
NativeHockey77*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
You guys think he could be a 80 pt guy? Whats the ceiling on this kid



Do you guys think he will start in the QMJHL? I hope he does, put up some radulov numbers

NativeHockey77* is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 11:08 AM
  #985
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Tim Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDAVID View Post
You guys think he could be a 80 pt guy? Whats the ceiling on this kid



Do you guys think he will start in the QMJHL? I hope he does, put up some radulov numbers
He'll be in Buffalo this year.

I think he could be an 80 point guy, but we're several years away from finding out.

Tim Murray is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 11:16 AM
  #986
NativeHockey77*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
He'll be in Buffalo this year.

I think he could be an 80 point guy, but we're several years away from finding out.
Thank you sir!

NativeHockey77* is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 01:11 PM
  #987
VoicexOfxReason
RIP Lounge
 
VoicexOfxReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Searching 4 a Lounge
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,715
vCash: 500
I dont see grigorenko ever hitting 80 points.

VoicexOfxReason is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 06:37 PM
  #988
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,413
vCash: 2225
I think his absolute max potential is Joe Thorton numbers. Which would make him an elite center. I think he has a better chance at busting than hitting that level, though. You never know...

Dubi Doo is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 08:02 PM
  #989
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
I think his absolute max potential is Joe Thorton numbers. Which would make him an elite center. I think he has a better chance at busting than hitting that level, though. You never know...
I generally would agree with that opinion, but I also think the boom/bust factor of Grigo is a bit overrated. I think the odds neither of those scenarios happen (ie: that he becomes a good player in the NHL but not a superstar) > the odds that either does. But I'll be alternately jumping for joy and pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming if he turns out anything like Jumbo Joe.

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 10:54 PM
  #990
lifeisruff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: wny
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
I can't help but see Tim Connolly in this guy, all the talent in the world, but a head case with character issues, too good for juniors, not good enough for the NHL, can't go to the AHL.

Of course Connolly was rounding into form quite nicely before Schaefer crushed him. If he had a couple more years like he did in 2005-2006 he might not be so disliked regardless of what his personality shortcomings were.

lifeisruff is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 06:42 AM
  #991
Skylimit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Mikhail Grigorenko is overrated.

ive see him play all the QHJML games and i can tell you he is not even NHL rdy.

very soft player.

Skylimit is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 08:23 AM
  #992
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Tim Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
but a head case with character issues
Where has this been documented? What makes you think this?

Tim Murray is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 08:26 AM
  #993
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth
 
MacOfNiagara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: United States
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post
I can't help but see Tim Connolly in this guy, all the talent in the world, but a head case with character issues, too good for juniors, not good enough for the NHL, can't go to the AHL.

Of course Connolly was rounding into form quite nicely before Schaefer crushed him. If he had a couple more years like he did in 2005-2006 he might not be so disliked regardless of what his personality shortcomings were.
What character issues?
All indications thus far is that he is working his ass off to get familiar with the language and the NA game and improve his skating and defensive play. Doesn't sound like character issues to me.

MacOfNiagara is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 08:51 AM
  #994
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
What character issues? .
He's Russian...



In a seriousness if he learns to battle for pucks he will be a very good player, if he doesn't then he will he a guy who bounces around the league. The talent and tools are there but the rest is up to him. I think he will need another 2-3 years before he breaks through.

1972 is online now  
Old
07-26-2013, 08:51 AM
  #995
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylimit View Post
Mikhail Grigorenko is overrated.

ive see him play all the QHJML games and i can tell you he is not even NHL rdy.

very soft player.
Great evaluation, thanks for the insight

1972 is online now  
Old
07-26-2013, 11:28 AM
  #996
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylimit View Post
Mikhail Grigorenko is overrated.

ive see him play all the QHJML games and i can tell you he is not even NHL rdy.

very soft player.
Sure looked pretty NHL ready in our last game vs the Isles where he was probably the Sabres' best player. Thanks for the tip tho.

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 12:39 PM
  #997
SarcazemKadri
Registered User
 
SarcazemKadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
He should be fine next year. His play this year at the NHL level was screwed up.

Playing another year in Q will NOT help him. He needs to play in the NHL or the AHL.

This is why i feel the rules on the AHL need to change where 1st and 2nd round picks are automatically eligible for AHL...no matter the age. Its just the teams choics.

The reason he fell had more to do with the uncertainty because of him being Russian and the KHL threat. the team that own his rights seemed to threaten that they will try and swoop in and sign him to play....which would be a higher amount than what the NHL team could pay him.

Id rather have him loaned to the KHL team than play in the Q next year.
What many posters don't realize is the CHL AHL rule is in place to protect the product on the ice at the CHL level. You may not think this matters, but if there wasn't these star players in the CHL, league related revenue would be lost, and the NHL's golden egg for developing players would suffer.

SarcazemKadri is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 12:39 PM
  #998
Bure
Registered User
 
Bure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,136
vCash: 50
Many hockey ppl are obsessed with fast high intensity players.

Grigo slows the game down and sees the Ice very well. This is not as appreciated sometimes. He should be a very good player.

Bure is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 08:11 PM
  #999
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Many hockey ppl are obsessed with fast high intensity players.

Grigo slows the game down and sees the Ice very well. This is not as appreciated sometimes. He should be a very good player.
Not that I'm projecting super great things for Grigs, necessarily, but I think you're bang on with this whole post in general. Waterbugs bouncing around at top speed off of everything do seem to be the flavour of choice for the younger generation, and it's almost forgotten that the very best players in the history of the game had reputations for being the very best at the part of your statement that I've bolded above.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 08:46 PM
  #1000
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth
 
MacOfNiagara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: United States
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Many hockey ppl are obsessed with fast high intensity players.

Grigo slows the game down and sees the Ice very well. This is not as appreciated sometimes. He should be a very good player.
His biggest asset IMO. When he is playing with confidence he just slows the game down (in a good way). Very jordanesque in that sense.

MacOfNiagara is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.