HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Simon Gagne remains unsigned

Old
07-25-2013, 08:53 AM
briererocks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
There are a bunch of teams with like 10-15M in space.
Not really. For instance st Louis has about 9 million in cap space but has yet to sign petrieangelo. Phoenix has cap space but they have 9 defenseman on 1 way contracts and still have to sign boedker. There are max 2 or 3 teams with the cap space to sign him and it is unlikely those teams will claim him. Also remember his salary is 5.5 even though his cap hit is 4.

briererocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Flyers are probably going to sign him but it will still be a mistake. I really failed to see what the heck he added to this team last year..it certainly wasn't offense. His defense is overstated on here and like I've said..the dude doesn't like contact in a contact sport. He's become a perimeter player..hence why his offense is practically nil.

All he is going to do is tie up cap money and a roster spot. Then when he is injured, like he usually is, people can admire him in his suit....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:13 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Flyers are probably going to sign him but it will still be a mistake. I really failed to see what the heck he added to this team last year..it certainly wasn't offense. His defense is overstated on here and like I've said..the dude doesn't like contact in a contact sport. He's become a perimeter player..hence why his offense is practically nil.

All he is going to do is tie up cap money and a roster spot. Then when he is injured, like he usually is, people can admire him in his suit....
He's a third line winger. He scored 11 points in 27 games. That's probably around 30-40 points for a full season. Not really sure what else you want from a third line winger.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He's a third line winger. He scored 11 points in 27 games. That's probably around 30-40 points for a full season. Not really sure what else you want from a third line winger.
This is the catch. Simon Gagne is 33 going on 42 and no one should expect that he is able to play more than 65 or so games. It would be outside of his career and certainly recent history to suggest he won't be nicked up for a significant chunk of an 82 game season.

I'd put the over/under on points for Gagne at 25 and probably take the under.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This is the catch. Simon Gagne is 33 going on 42 and no one should expect that he is able to play more than 65 or so games. It would be outside of his career and certainly recent history to suggest he won't be nicked up for a significant chunk of an 82 game season.

If they do sign Gagne and he misses 10-20 games, it will still give the youngsters a taste on the NHL as opposed to EXPECTING them to produce the whole season.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Zod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
If they do sign Gagne and he misses 10-20 games, it will still give the youngsters a taste on the NHL as opposed to EXPECTING them to produce the whole season.
This times a million.

Plus he can provide a stabilizing influence and mentor for the 3rd line.

Zod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Gert B Frobe

I'm kind of in the middle on Gagne. It's a tough call - he isn't crap but he isn't exactly good either. I don't want him taking away any opportunities for Laughton. I'm fine with him in the lineup and when he's hurt throw in McGinn or one of Raffl, Cousins, etc.

Not at the expense of Laughton though - if he's gotten ANY better since a year ago then he's ready.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I'm kind of in the middle on Gagne. It's a tough call - he isn't crap but he isn't exactly good either. I don't want him taking away any opportunities for Laughton. I'm fine with him in the lineup and when he's hurt throw in McGinn or one of Raffl, Cousins, etc.

Not at the expense of Laughton though - if he's gotten ANY better since a year ago then he's ready.
That's my feeling when it comes to Laughton as well. I'm very excited to see what he can do next year on the big club even if it is at the LW spot.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:00 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
someone who will fight and hit because you know we dont have enough of that.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 05:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post

And that is understandable, but with Gagne you know what you are getting for 50-60 games, and we have the depth to not miss him when he's injured. If he plays 55 games (which I have no problem saying he will), the other 27 games or so will be filled by McGinn/Straka/Akeson whomever is called up. With those guys, you don't know what you are getting. I think someone can fill that role, but not like Gagne can. If we get about 55 games from Gagne at about .40 PPG and 27 games from the others anywhere near that, I would consider it a win. Not to mention Gagne's defense is better than pretty much any of the young kids. The simple solution is just sign him to a one year deal. That way injuries aren't the dagger they would be if he's here for 10 years.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:08 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
And that is understandable, but with Gagne you know what you are getting for 50-60 games, and we have the depth to not miss him when he's injured. If he plays 55 games (which I have no problem saying he will), the other 27 games or so will be filled by McGinn/Straka/Akeson whomever is called up. With those guys, you don't know what you are getting. I think someone can fill that role, but not like Gagne can. If we get about 55 games from Gagne at about .40 PPG and 27 games from the others anywhere near that, I would consider it a win. Not to mention Gagne's defense is better than pretty much any of the young kids. The simple solution is just sign him to a one year deal. That way injuries aren't the dagger they would be if he's here for 10 years.
this post has too much common sense in it. watch it, people may not understand

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
this post has too much common sense in it. watch it, people may not understand
I am still torn. I like Gagne and what he provided last year, but I really like the way McGinn played more. He did a lot of heavy hitting, went to the net and showed very good touch for deflections/rebounds etc. I'd almost rather let McGinn play 3LW with Couts and Read, and use Rinaldo-Hall-Talbot as the 4th line. Is Gagne going to give us that much more than McGinn in that spot? Even for 50 games?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:17 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I am still torn. I like Gagne and what he provided last year, but I really like the way McGinn played more. He did a lot of heavy hitting, went to the net and showed very good touch for deflections/rebounds etc. I'd almost rather let McGinn play 3LW with Couts and Read, and use Rinaldo-Hall-Talbot as the 4th line. Is Gagne going to give us that much more than McGinn in that spot? Even for 50 games?
McGinn will see some action regardless

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/NHLAdamK/status/362933282385571840

Quote:
I would say a return to Flyers is unlikely. RT @KimLeeds any news on Gagne, staying in Philly or moving on?

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:02 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Good......

Thanks Gagne for the memories particularly the Boston performance in 2010....but time to turn the page.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Good......

Thanks Gagne for the memories particularly the Boston performance in 2010....but time to turn the page.
I agree, I am in favor of seeing some of our younger players making a push for a spot. Especially McGinn, he should be able to handle third line minutes this year, if not, have talbot on the 3rd line with Couts and Read.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 09:11 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I agree, I am in favor of seeing some of our younger players making a push for a spot. Especially McGinn, he should be able to handle third line minutes this year, if not, have talbot on the 3rd line with Couts and Read.
Good we agree on this point..ha ha ha.

Yeah I think better options will manifest themselves in camp...no sense committing to Gagne and tying up more cash than is necessary.

Having said this ..still a chance they intend to sign him but I still won't agree with it.

Old
08-01-2013, 09:43 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

Hopefully one of the young guys can fill that role. My money is on McGinn.

Old
08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

18 games. Spent time purposefully left off the ice.

Penciled in for 3rd line duties.

Oh you!

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 10:38 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
BTW...even though McGinn needs some more seasoning with his game I like the way he is fearless with his net presence whether it's with getting deflections or just going hard to the net. You won't see much of that from Gagne that is for sure although obviously Gagne has more skill. I just think it's better to not tie up the roster spot even if it's just as a "third liner."

Old
08-01-2013, 10:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
18 games. Spent time purposefully left off the ice.

Penciled in for 3rd line duties.

Oh you!
As opposed to the other options which have even less NHL time. Straka, a guy that has no NHL or AHL experience should be penciled in, right? Or Akeson, a guy who has been repeatedly passed over for callups until the end of last season and is pretty bad on defense from what I have seen and read should be penciled in, right? Or maybe Cousins, who also has no NHL or AHL experience should be penciled in right?

Unless you are talking about putting Laughton in there, I think McGinn is the front-runner. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to putting Laughton on Couturier's wing, I just don't see it happening.

Another thing that you may want to consider is that, saying "my money is McGinn" is not the same thing as saying that McGinn is the only choice and no one else should be considered.

Old
08-01-2013, 11:22 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

I still think Mcginn may need to take it back a notch a back or 2 or he is going to have a very short career.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 11:52 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I still think Mcginn may need to take it back a notch a back or 2 or he is going to have a very short career.
uhhh...

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 12:04 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
As much as I love Gagne, it's probably a better move not to sign him. It leaves us with a little bit more cap room and flexibility. Come deadline time if none of our prospects can fill the third line role then we have a space that we can trade for.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2013, 12:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Thank God!

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote