*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2013, 02:02 AM
Pony

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
And the Colts are starting to shape up for 2013-14. I still expect upgrades at the OA positions. We shall see.
Hey Kanuck, I think they may be set there for the most part. Hall and Theoret should be back, which is the first two. Lepkowski, if he is not traded, will also likely return meaning. There's no way Fawcett should be an OA on this team if one of those three aren't back. Fawcett works hard, but he is not a first or second line centre in this league. Fawcett played on the second line pretty much all season and he played the second power play and MacDonald still outscored him despite having played on the third or fourth line all year and no power play time.
If those three guys are back, they should lock up all 3 OA spots.

Old
07-10-2013, 07:37 PM
defensehockey19

"@AmerksHockey: Alex Lepkowski, who signed with the #Amerks today, is now on the ice at #Sabres Development Camp"

Old
07-10-2013, 11:47 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

got to think the 6/7 spots are Carrick and Fatovic's to lose now with lepkowski gone.

Old
07-11-2013, 09:11 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
got to think the 6/7 spots are Carrick and Fatovic's to lose now with lepkowski gone.
Any insight as to who they might target for the third OA? It's too bad that they won't get anything back in trade, but I always thought Lepkowski would have to be moved in favour of another OA at forward.

Old
07-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

no idea to be honest...i think you may see them wait on it too...theres a few teams who may have to give some away at camp.

Old
07-11-2013, 07:31 PM
NHL Fanatic

Ekblad is going top 5 no question. That #1 spot is up for grabs. It will be interesting to see if he can outplay Nylander and Reinhart this year.

Old
07-12-2013, 01:02 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

I really think you are going to see a 60+ point year from Ek

Old
07-12-2013, 09:29 AM
orangeandblack

Will Kevin LaBanc potentially get 1st line minutes in Barrie this year?

Old
07-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
Will Kevin LaBanc potentially get 1st line minutes in Barrie this year?
no, third line to start with potential to move up to 2nd

Old
07-24-2013, 11:27 AM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Ekblad is going top 5 no question. That #1 spot is up for grabs. It will be interesting to see if he can outplay Nylander and Reinhart this year.
Hey Colts fans, just have a couple questions for you guys and it would be awesome to get your perspective on my questions with honesty. Do you guys see yourself contenders this year?? I actually do, but a lot of my fellow London Knight fans do not see it the same. You Colts are actually a relatively young team and have a solid core of players that are '94 & '95 born. Next question, who among you '93 born players (over-agers) are going to be back or who do you see graduating to the AHL??

Curtis Warren
Tyson Fawsett
Anthony Camara
Mark Scheifele (gone for sure)
Zach Hall
Cody Brown
Mitchell Theoret
Alex Lepkowski

Do you guys think you Colts will be okay with Scheifele out of your lineup next year. From my perspective you guys leaned on him a lot as your offensive weapon and he carried your team along with Hall and Athanasiou but you leaned on him incredibly, especially in the playoffs as evidence of his 41 points in the PO's. And lastly, I have no doubt this will stir up some controversy for sure, but do you think its possible to part with Aaron Ekblad?? What would the price be for him?? It's very possible for a player of that caliber to be traded (Tavares '09). The Knights need another Top defensemen for this Memorial Cup year and I have no doubt it will cost us greatly, but just wondering..... Thanks!!

Old
07-24-2013, 11:57 AM
ErieOttersNews
Carry Us Connor

vCash: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
Hey Colts fans, just have a couple questions for you guys and it would be awesome to get your perspective on my questions with honesty. Do you guys see yourself contenders this year?? I actually do, but a lot of my fellow London Knight fans do not see it the same. You Colts are actually a relatively young team and have a solid core of players that are '94 & '95 born. Next question, who among you '93 born players (over-agers) are going to be back or who do you see graduating to the AHL??

Curtis Warren
Tyson Fawsett
Anthony Camara
Zach Hall
Cody Brown
Mitchell Theoret
Alex Lepkowski

Do you guys think you Colts will be okay with Scheifele out of your lineup next year. From my perspective you guys leaned on him a lot as your offensive weapon and he carried your team along with Hall and Athanasiou but you leaned on him incredibly, especially in the playoffs as evidence of his 41 points in the PO's. And lastly, I have no doubt this will stir up some controversy for sure, but do you think its possible to part with Aaron Ekblad?? What would the price be for him?? It's very possible for a player of that caliber to be traded (Tavares '09). The Knights need another Top defensemen for this Memorial Cup year and I have no doubt it will cost us greatly, but just wondering..... Thanks!!
I know for sure that Camara is going to be in Providence next season, not sure about the rest of that list. And I stated this on another board but I really doubt Barrie parts with Ekblad, especially to London. Barrie is not going to be as good as they were last year obviously, but they will definitely finish at least top 6 in the east. I just dont see them parting with Ekblad, as I dont see Erie ever parting with McDavid. I dont think London has the assets to realistically acquire Ekblad anyways.

Old
07-24-2013, 04:35 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 598
I would be shocked if Ekblad is moved unless the return is massive and for some strange reason the colts are far out of the playoff picture. I am expecting a near top of the eastern conference again this year.

Old
07-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

For Barrie to trade Ek to London it starts at Marner, Jammes, Liberati, 2 2nds

Old
07-24-2013, 07:04 PM
tjziel

Quote:
For Barrie to trade Ek to London it starts at Marner, Jammes, Liberati, 2 2nds
That's relatively fair actually. We'll throw in Jake Patterson too. I know you guys probably love/hate him but he's pretty good. Or maybe we throw in Liam Herbst who was our first rounder in 2012. And we would have to replace that second 2nd round pick with two 3rds cuz we only have one in 2015, the one that you traded us for Andreas Athanasiou!

Old
07-24-2013, 07:48 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:

Curtis Warren
Tyson Fawsett
Anthony Camara
Zach Hall
Cody Brown
Mitchell Theoret
Alex Lepkowski

Lepkowski is in Rochester all signed on.

Old
07-24-2013, 11:42 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Next question, who among you '93 born players (over-agers) are going to be back or who do you see graduating to the AHL??
Zach Hall
Mitchell Theoret

I expect they'll add another quality OA.

Quote:
And lastly, I have no doubt this will stir up some controversy for sure, but do you think its possible to part with Aaron Ekblad?? What would the price be for him??
I'm not around the rink as much as I used to be, but I think he's untouchable. There are two types of Colts first round picks. The kind that get traded at the deadline in their first or second season (almost all of them), and the ones that make it through their second season and are Colts for life (Tremblay, SDR and now Aaron Ekblad).

Old
07-24-2013, 11:46 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
That's relatively fair actually.
He did say it starts with Marner, Jammes, Liberati, 2 2nds ... it ends with ... ? Like I said though, I think he's untouchable.

Old
07-25-2013, 12:06 AM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
He did say it starts with Marner, Jammes, Liberati, 2 2nds ... it ends with ... ? Like I said though, I think he's untouchable.
Yeah, I understood that, thats why I added Herbst in the deal, and to finish off the deal I will add Centerome or Owen MacDonald.....and I don't want to stir up more controversy but no one is untouchable. Example: John Tavares '09.

Old
07-25-2013, 12:22 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Yeah, I understood that, thats why I added Herbst in the deal, and to finish off the deal I will add Centerome or Owen MacDonald.....and I don't want to stir up more controversy but no one is untouchable. Example: John Tavares '09.
I'm well aware of the Tavares trade. Big difference in the quality of the teams though...the Generals weren't so good that year. The Colts will likely be top 4 in the East. Also, if memory serves that didn't work out so well for the Knights...

A better example to make your point would be Gretzky. Regardless, it's not controversy. Of course no one's untouchable, but my point is I don't think anyone in Barrie is entertaining dealing EA5 and they probably won't unless they are completely out of it...also unlikely.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:52 AM
aresknights

Tavares had a couple months left in the O when traded. Ekblad more. Can't see him in London.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Tavares had a couple months left in the O when traded. Ekblad more. Can't see him in London.
While everyone thinks of that as the Taveres trade IMHO it was all about Del Zotto!
IF DelZotto was sent back he could have been traded and recouped a lot of picks or keep him and probably couldve knocked off Windsor.
Kitchener took Windsor to seven and Knights may have had a wee bit more than the Rangers. Of course all teams can say "what if"!

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 07-25-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old
07-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Too early to say much about the Cotls yet...there are some moves coming in August.

Old
07-25-2013, 10:14 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Too early to say much about the Cotls yet...there are some moves coming in August.
Trading EA5? Say it ain't so my friend. Say it ain't so. Might be back in town for camp...50/50 at this point...will you be there?

Old
07-26-2013, 03:47 AM
DEVSTER*
HF's Virgin.

All this talk about Barrie dropping further down in the standings for the 2013/14 season is really starting to make me wonder, is that relatively true? If we look at it on paper, things aren't looking too shabby. Better than I thought actually. Here is a rather nerdy explanation on what goes through my mind looking into the upcoming season.

Last season the Barrie Colts had an excellent run during the playoffs making it all the way to Game 7 of the OHL final. During the 2012 off season, I was a little bit suspect of how the colts would cope with losing their top 3 point leaders; Tanner Pearson, Colin Behenna and Ivan Telegin. Instead of falling in the standings, the Colts found a way to improve with the help of some acquisitions and key guys stepping up. The same goes with the 2013/14 season. I think that it has already been clarified that the colts will most likely trade for an offensive overage forward. I also expect players to double their point totals from the previous year. Josh Macdonald received 3rd/4th line ice time for the majority of the 2012 13 season and recorded 30 points in that time frame. I also have a feeling that Bradford will be much better this season too. Not to mention the signing of Kevin Labanc, which is an added bonus.

Here is a comparison of the top 10 point scorers for the colts during the 2011 12 season, and the 2012 13 season.

2011-12 season (Top 10 point scorers)

Player --- Points
T. Pearson - 91
C. Behenna - 74
I. Telegin - 64
M. Scheifele - 63
Z. Hall - 59
S. Beyers - 51
R. O'Connor - 36
A. Camara - 33
D. Erlich - 31
A. Ekblad - 29

2012 13 season (Top 10 point scorers)

player --- points
Z. Hall -81
M. Scheifele -79
S. Beyers - 69
A. Athanasiou -67
A. Camara -60
M. Theoret -60
R. O'Connor -53A. Ekblad -34
E. Bradford -33
J. Macdonald -30

Looking from the outside in, a total of four top 10 players from the 2011 12 season did not return with the Colts for the 2012 13 season. The same case goes with the upcoming season for Barrie. Most likely, four players from the top 10 scoring race will not make an appearance with the colts for 2013 14. (M. Scheifele, S. Beyers, A. Camara and R. O'Connor) I understand that points don't mean everything, but they must mean at least something if they are the key to winning games.

Now to look at what we have here in the present time. Zach Hall, Mitchell Theoret, Andreas Athanasiou, Aaron Ekblad, and a few other good players isn't bad. But I have a feeling the colts will gain another scorer, as does many other colts fans. How about Andrew Fritsch out of Ste. Marie? Or maybe Cameron Brace out of Owen Sound? That would for sure boost Barrie's offensive compete level.

This is just speculation, so please no haters on my prediction for the top 10 point scorers for the colts this upcoming year. Here is what I think:

2013 14 season (Top 10 point scorers)

Player --- Points
Z. Hall- (85-95
A. Athanasiou- (80-90
M. Theoret- (70-80
Acquisition- (60-75
J. Macdonald- (50-60
A. Ekblad- (45-60
E. Bradford- (45-60
K. Labanc- (35-45
B. Lemieux- (30-35
J. Dotchin- (25-30

When you look at it all from an offensive perspective, this year could be pretty similar to the past few. However, goaltending is an issue that I will not touch on. That will most likely be the difference maker in how the colts will respond. So yes, I expect a standings drop, but not a drastic one. Again, it's all speculation, there is nothing better to do at 3:00 in the morning than to write an essay on this.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:49 AM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVSTER View Post
All this talk about Barrie dropping further down in the standings for the 2013/14 season is really starting to make me wonder, is that relatively true? If we look at it on paper, things aren't looking too shabby. Better than I thought actually. Here is a rather nerdy explanation on what goes through my mind looking into the upcoming season.

Last season the Barrie Colts had an excellent run during the playoffs making it all the way to Game 7 of the OHL final. During the 2012 off season, I was a little bit suspect of how the colts would cope with losing their top 3 point leaders; Tanner Pearson, Colin Behenna and Ivan Telegin. Instead of falling in the standings, the Colts found a way to improve with the help of some acquisitions and key guys stepping up. The same goes with the 2013/14 season. I think that it has already been clarified that the colts will most likely trade for an offensive overage forward. I also expect players to double their point totals from the previous year. Josh Macdonald received 3rd/4th line ice time for the majority of the 2012 13 season and recorded 30 points in that time frame. I also have a feeling that Bradford will be much better this season too. Not to mention the signing of Kevin Labanc, which is an added bonus.

Here is a comparison of the top 10 point scorers for the colts during the 2011 12 season, and the 2012 13 season.

2011-12 season (Top 10 point scorers)

Player --- Points
T. Pearson - 91
C. Behenna - 74
I. Telegin - 64
M. Scheifele - 63
Z. Hall - 59
S. Beyers - 51
R. O'Connor - 36
A. Camara - 33
D. Erlich - 31
A. Ekblad - 29

2012 13 season (Top 10 point scorers)

player --- points
Z. Hall -81
M. Scheifele -79
S. Beyers - 69
A. Athanasiou -67
A. Camara -60
M. Theoret -60
R. O'Connor -53A. Ekblad -34
E. Bradford -33
J. Macdonald -30

Looking from the outside in, a total of four top 10 players from the 2011 12 season did not return with the Colts for the 2012 13 season. The same case goes with the upcoming season for Barrie. Most likely, four players from the top 10 scoring race will not make an appearance with the colts for 2013 14. (M. Scheifele, S. Beyers, A. Camara and R. O'Connor) I understand that points don't mean everything, but they must mean at least something if they are the key to winning games.

Now to look at what we have here in the present time. Zach Hall, Mitchell Theoret, Andreas Athanasiou, Aaron Ekblad, and a few other good players isn't bad. But I have a feeling the colts will gain another scorer, as does many other colts fans. How about Andrew Fritsch out of Ste. Marie? Or maybe Cameron Brace out of Owen Sound? That would for sure boost Barrie's offensive compete level.

This is just speculation, so please no haters on my prediction for the top 10 point scorers for the colts this upcoming year. Here is what I think:

2013 14 season (Top 10 point scorers)

Player --- Points
Z. Hall- (85-95
A. Athanasiou- (80-90
M. Theoret- (70-80
Acquisition- (60-75
J. Macdonald- (50-60
A. Ekblad- (45-60
E. Bradford- (45-60
K. Labanc- (35-45
B. Lemieux- (30-35
J. Dotchin- (25-30

When you look at it all from an offensive perspective, this year could be pretty similar to the past few. However, goaltending is an issue that I will not touch on. That will most likely be the difference maker in how the colts will respond. So yes, I expect a standings drop, but not a drastic one. Again, it's all speculation, there is nothing better to do at 3:00 in the morning than to write an essay on this.
I agree with most of this, players are going to step up with another season of experience. About Goaltending, we should be okay with Fotinos being pushed by Gibl. Another OA that could put up some points I think will happen. Should be another successful season.

Closed Thread