HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergey Tolchinsky NYR Bound? [Nope! Signs with Canes 8/22]

Old
07-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
He didn't really put up 1st round numbers. ~50 points in 65 games. That's good, not great. His size is why he fell. The Russian factor, I am sure, did not help.

Either way, he should be signed.
Eh, I don't care what the numbers are. He was a 2nd liner on his team and this was his first year in NA. Not bad numbers at all. Very good for his size, his first time over here, and his position on the team. I'd expect his numbers to grow quite a bit next year with more ice time.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:18 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Eh, I don't care what the numbers are. He was a 2nd liner on his team and this was his first year in NA. Not bad numbers at all. Very good for his size, his first time over here, and his position on the team. I'd expect his numbers to grow quite a bit next year with more ice time.
I agree.

Jon, I feel like we are agreeing, but still arguing.

We both want him signed.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 05:06 PM
eco's bones

Kantor or Wilson are a different kind of animal than Tolchinsky. The challenge for Tolchinsky is to make the top 6 of whatever team he plays on and any team that has two top 6 forwards the size of Zuccarello and Tolchinsky is begging for trouble. But just on its own Tolchinsky is top 6 or bust. Kantor and Wilson are vying for something almost completely different and more easily attained for players of their size, style and character. Bottom 6 roles where physical and defensive play matter at least as much if not more so than offensive production--and every team needs forwards who can do the dirty work. Tolchinksy would be as completely worthless in those kinds of roles as Kantor or Wilson would be in a top 6 role.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I agree.

Jon, I feel like we are agreeing, but still arguing.

We both want him signed.
But I'm more correct.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

if we sign him to an elc and he plays in the minors or stays in the ohl, he wouldnt count against the cap right? so there is no risk in signing a prospect that may pay off and be a stud for us or he could bust.

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

My lord is he tiny.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

I absolutely don't understand the need for people to add background music or songs to video highlights. Cannot fathom the logic behind it. It's like the need to add borders in a point point presentation.

Anyway, where would he fall in the prospect ranking that was just finished? I find video highlights deceptive and selectively biased so I'd rather the opinion of someone who knows

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:04 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

His height humors me

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 08:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
I absolutely don't understand the need for people to add background music or songs to video highlights. Cannot fathom the logic behind it. It's like the need to add borders in a point point presentation.
I guess since the video quality is so bad on most of these highlight reels adding a soundtrack gives you something to listen to while you try to figure out what your're watching.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I guess since the video quality is so bad on most of these highlight reels adding a soundtrack gives you something to listen to while you try to figure out what your're watching.
i rather hear some of the play by play and announcing rather than some stupid song in a highlight video on youtube.... adding music is stupid unless its in a tv show or movie...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
His height humors me
Give him a rock pipe and some chicken wings and he'll do just fine, precedent?

Lindberg Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Zucc is probably stronger than Sergey

Old
07-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Wait, why are we calling him Sergey instead of Sergei?

Old
07-25-2013, 09:43 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Oh please, this guy brings skill, something our prospect pool is still bereft of. I don't care if he's Pee Wee Herman, if he keeps his head up and isn't a purely perimeter player, the guy has the skill to be a very good prospect for us

And yes, it would be a two way deal. He would go back to juniors for at least one more season.
No.

Sorry, but there's become this logic-defying HF love affair with diminutive players. Maybe Zuccarello will be an exception, but I'm betting not... this is not a tiny man's league. I wish it were. But we see 6'3" 215 ls. guys barreling down the ice at 25-30mph.

Guys like Marty St. Louis and Theo Fleury and Marcel Dionne are just guys with Gretzky/Lemieux-esque talent who don't have the size to be on that level. Zuccarello might be a Steve Sullivan, but lightning won't strike twice. This Tolstoy dude will NEVER stick in the NHL at 5'5"... and at that size, how can he be anything but a perimeter player and have more than a 20-game career?

It's naive... pure skill just WILL NOT cut it. I know everyone thinks today's NHL is more conducive to small guys to make it, but it just isn't. Athletes are born and bred and trained bigger every year, and you'd have a better shot at winning MegaMillions than getting a guy under 5'10" who is elite.

I'm for the underdog as much as the next guy, as a disabilities advocate, but reality beckons.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 10:02 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
No.

Sorry, but there's become this logic-defying HF love affair with diminutive players. Maybe Zuccarello will be an exception, but I'm betting not... this is not a tiny man's league. I wish it were. But we see 6'3" 215 ls. guys barreling down the ice at 25-30mph.

Guys like Marty St. Louis and Theo Fleury and Marcel Dionne are just guys with Gretzky/Lemieux-esque talent who don't have the size to be on that level. Zuccarello might be a Steve Sullivan, but lightning won't strike twice. This Tolstoy dude will NEVER stick in the NHL at 5'5"... and at that size, how can he be anything but a perimeter player and have more than a 20-game career?

It's naive... pure skill just WILL NOT cut it. I know everyone thinks today's NHL is more conducive to small guys to make it, but it just isn't. Athletes are born and bred and trained bigger every year, and you'd have a better shot at winning MegaMillions than getting a guy under 5'10" who is elite.

I'm for the underdog as much as the next guy, as a disabilities advocate, but reality beckons.
The risk is minimal. We lose nothing but a contract slot by giving him a chance. The team reserves a certain number of slots for undrafted players every year, so if it isn't this kid, it will be some other long shot.

No matter who we give that contract to, the odds are against the player making it. There's no point in stressing over it.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Elite prospects actually lists him as 5'9"

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=108653

I know everyone else around here has seen him personally and is an expert in judging people's physical stats just from video (not you Joey), but maybe this guy is right about Tolchinsky's height and weight.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 20 Jul
Asked Tolchinsky for his official height and weight. His answer: 5-8, 164. So that's that.

Sign the kid already. Great talent, minimal risk.

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
Wait, why are we calling him Sergey instead of Sergei?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=160318

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=108653

HockeyDB has him as Sergey Tolchinsky

Elite Prospects has him as Sergei Tolchinsky a.k.a. Sergey Tolchinski

I prefer Siarhei Tulchinzcy

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
The name sounds familar. I must have seen him in my EHM 07 game.

Screw it. For what its worth.. heres his page. I'm not sure why hes in the ECHL.. those ratings are pretty solid.. lol

He went in the 4th round, 2014 draft.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Screw it. For what its worth.. heres his page. I'm not sure why hes in the ECHL.. those ratings are pretty solid.. lol
His coach must have been [John Tortorella/Tom Renney/Scott Arniel]

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:17 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Look he's small and slight. Whether he's 5'6" or 5'8" doesn't make much difference. If he has elite talent, sign him. Follow the Detroit model -- skill trumps all. Other than taking up a contract space, where is the risk? High risk, high reward...isn't that the name of the game?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:35 AM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 643
I don't understand the "risk" in signing him. We lose one contract spot. That doesn't even count for next year. He put up great numbers in his first year in North America, and should only get better. Will be the next Martin St. Louis? Almost sure he wont. But why not? The more skill we have the better.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Aufheben
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 69
Looks very explosive from those videos.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
I know everyone else around here has seen him personally and is an expert in judging people's physical stats just from video (not you Joey), but maybe this guy is right about Tolchinsky's height and weight.

Asked Tolchinsky for his official height and weight. His answer: 5-8, 164. So that's that.

I'm not saying don't sign him - his skill set is obvious - but he is NOTICEABLY small in the CHL. He's not even playing against grown men there and he looks tiny. Size is defintiely a concern, more so than say a Nigel Dawes, who was at least stocky for his height.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:46 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post

My driver's license says I'm 5'8". I used to tell people that as well, because I really wanted to be. And I didn't even have anything to gain by lying! I'm actually 5'7".

He's noticeably small. I have watched a lot of junior and NCAA hockey in my time, where you regularly see small guys. And he's smaller than the small guys. Can I state with 100 percent certainty that he's 5'6"? No. But nor can Elite Prospects, or HockeyDB, or any other similar site state that he's taller. They rely on information gathered elsewhere. They don't measure the kids. Teams lie about their kids' height all the time. It's standard practice. Kids lie about their own height all the time! Particularly if they think they might have something to gain.

It's all beside the point though. I don't care what his height is. If he has skill, I'm all for giving him a shot. There's no risk. Someone will get that spot.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote