HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Introducing the WHL 97-Born Class

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2013, 04:23 PM
  #26
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Victoria's crop is looking good.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2013, 11:48 PM
  #27
SvenBartschi27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Nice call! I definitely forgot Hudson. He actually plays in my quadrant in Calgary, so I have seen him more than anyone. Another name I didn't mention was Bradley Forrest of Med Hat. He's a good puckmoving defenseman.
No way, Major Midget AAA? what team did you play for?

SvenBartschi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 01:56 AM
  #28
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenBartschi27 View Post
No way, Major Midget AAA? what team did you play for?
Didnt play with him. Just see a lot of NWCAA Flames games in the AMHL.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2013, 03:30 PM
  #29
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,612
vCash: 4250
Good work Z.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 05:35 PM
  #30
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Thanks RS. Here are a few more I had stacked away...

Bradley Forrest - Medicine Hat Tigers

A smaller puck-moving defenseman with good offensive instincts and the overall hockey smarts. Great first pass and can really direct traffic and change the pace of a power play. Average defender that relies on his solid skating and positioning.

Terrell Draude - Calgary Hitmen

Has one of the deadliest shots in the class behind Estephan. A big frame and filled out well for his age. Draude needs to learn how to play at his size a bit better. Foot speed lacking. Dangerous around the net and converts on his chances. Two-way upside given his strength.

Hudson Elynuik - Kootenay Ice

A big powerforward with decent scoring tools. Thinks the game pretty well and can compliment other smart players. Good projectable height, but not yet filled out. Skating is average, will need to improve to keep up at the WHL level. Physicality will allow him to play a multitude of roles going forward.

Austin Wagner - Regina Pats

A power forward that skates well and embraces his size by working hard and being a tough guy to play against. Will be a very good role player that has 2nd line upside. Not an amazing scorer, but can create chances through a good cycle game.

Matteo Gennaro - Prince Albert Raiders

A good sized forward that skates very well and thinks the game at a high level. Has a good first step and is tough to contain in open ice. Likes to lean into guys with his good frame. Lots of room to grow and projects to have very good size. Will be able to fill a bottom line role as a 16 YO. Responsible defensively and can pitch in on the offensive side also. Will put up points in time.

U17 Team Pacific Camp will be in Calgary next week! Looking forward to seeing all the top dogs from Alberta and BC.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:40 PM
  #31
ThisIsTheYear
Registered User
 
ThisIsTheYear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 92
vCash: 50
I know many of these guys, played against and watched a lot.

names thats stick out through out the played against and watched category:

Nick Merkley: (couldn't believe his play in the Seattle series)

Chaz Reddekopp: (I can see him being one of Victorias top 2 dman in a couple years, also being a top nhl pick)

Ty Ronning: (Smaller guy, unreal hands like his dad, as a goalie i didnt like playing agasint him thats for sure)

Mathew Barzal: (He will speak for himself after you see him this season..)

EDIT: Although I know some of these kids I dont know them well enough to pump their tires, or care enough to pump my draft classes tire...


Last edited by ThisIsTheYear: 07-20-2013 at 06:47 PM. Reason: add
ThisIsTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:45 PM
  #32
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post

U17 Team Pacific Camp will be in Calgary next week! Looking forward to seeing all the top dogs from Alberta and BC.
Please keep us updated.

Cheers.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 11:18 PM
  #33
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsTheYear View Post
I know many of these guys, played against and watched a lot.

names thats stick out through out the played against and watched category:

Nick Merkley: (couldn't believe his play in the Seattle series)

Chaz Reddekopp: (I can see him being one of Victorias top 2 dman in a couple years, also being a top nhl pick)

Ty Ronning: (Smaller guy, unreal hands like his dad, as a goalie i didnt like playing agasint him thats for sure)

Mathew Barzal: (He will speak for himself after you see him this season..)

EDIT: Although I know some of these kids I dont know them well enough to pump their tires, or care enough to pump my draft classes tire...
Agree 100% on Chaz. He is a complete stud.

I am excited to see what Ty Ronning has in store at U17 camp. He wasn't on Team BC last fall.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 11:00 PM
  #34
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Agree 100% on Chaz. He is a complete stud.

I am excited to see what Ty Ronning has in store at U17 camp. He wasn't on Team BC last fall.
Him and Hicketts should be dynamite on the Royals blueline for the future.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:52 AM
  #35
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Any real standouts at the camp so far Zenon?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:08 AM
  #36
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23,612
vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Any real standouts at the camp so far Zenon?
Do you have Twitter? He's posted a few comments already.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 11:39 AM
  #37
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Do you have Twitter? He's posted a few comments already.
No. But it seems like I might have to. Lol.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 01:08 PM
  #38
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Hey guys, just got back from Camp today. I will be heading out of town for the weekend so I wont be at any more practices. Here are some thoughts:

Adam Musil-Played very well. Skating looks a lot better. Doesnt have those heavy strides anymore. Looks a lot more explosive and powerful in the legs.

Brendan Guhle-Best Dman at camp. Skates like the wind and moves the puck well. Not overly physical in the corners but he definitely can defend with his reach, positioning, and smarts. A lot to like in this kid. Should have a similar rookie season to Ryan Pilon.

Jansen Harkins-One of the best forwards at Camp. Really starting to remind me of Pavel Datsyuk honestly. Very hard on the puck and finds crafty ways to steal it in the defensive zone. Good skating, still a bit light physically but he can fly in open ice. Looks a lot faster at top speed than I have seen him in the past.

Matthew Barzal-Didn't show a whole lot. Was expecting him to far and away be the best player but he really blended into the pack. He is an effortless skater that gets to top speed quickly. Love how he shields the puck with his body and does so almost naturally without hesitation.

Tyler Soy-Very strong two-way player. Looked matured physically with a strong core and lower body strength. This will allow him to battle at the WHL level next year. Didn't show a whole lot in the way of offensive creativity but he is always around the puck which you have to like.

Glenn Gawdin-Looks like the most filled out and mature forward there. Legs already look like tree-trunks. Smooth skater and good with the puck. Deadly shot and picks good times to feed his teammates.

Brad Morrison-Gaining some height since the last time I saw him. Looks like more of a rangy player and he can really fly around the ice.

Joe Gatenby-smart defenseman that moves pretty well. Always calm on the ice and is very patient to move the puck on the breakout.

Bradley Forrest-Small puck mover but plays with high energy. Could see him grabbing a spot at 16 with a good camp. PP guy that gets it off his stick in a hurry.

Nick McBride-Big goalie that covers a ton of the net. Hard to beat in all areas of the net. Front runner to grab one of the G spots on the team IMO.

Here are just a few thoughts. For more check my twitter or ask and I will do my best to address.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 02:39 PM
  #39
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
Musil is going to be a Freddy Gauthier/Hanzal type when he hits the WHL, scouts will be all over this kid especially if his skating can continue to improve. He has the classic Eastern European lower body strength. Already had tree trunks and a huge ass that nobody could move going back to his BWC days...

When your uncle is Bobby Holik it doesn't hurt either to get a few pointers from him....

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:24 PM
  #40
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Hey guys, just got back from Camp today. I will be heading out of town for the weekend so I wont be at any more practices. Here are some thoughts:

Adam Musil-Played very well. Skating looks a lot better. Doesnt have those heavy strides anymore. Looks a lot more explosive and powerful in the legs.

Brendan Guhle-Best Dman at camp. Skates like the wind and moves the puck well. Not overly physical in the corners but he definitely can defend with his reach, positioning, and smarts. A lot to like in this kid. Should have a similar rookie season to Ryan Pilon.

Jansen Harkins-One of the best forwards at Camp. Really starting to remind me of Pavel Datsyuk honestly. Very hard on the puck and finds crafty ways to steal it in the defensive zone. Good skating, still a bit light physically but he can fly in open ice. Looks a lot faster at top speed than I have seen him in the past.

Matthew Barzal-Didn't show a whole lot. Was expecting him to far and away be the best player but he really blended into the pack. He is an effortless skater that gets to top speed quickly. Love how he shields the puck with his body and does so almost naturally without hesitation.

Tyler Soy-Very strong two-way player. Looked matured physically with a strong core and lower body strength. This will allow him to battle at the WHL level next year. Didn't show a whole lot in the way of offensive creativity but he is always around the puck which you have to like.

Glenn Gawdin-Looks like the most filled out and mature forward there. Legs already look like tree-trunks. Smooth skater and good with the puck. Deadly shot and picks good times to feed his teammates.

Brad Morrison-Gaining some height since the last time I saw him. Looks like more of a rangy player and he can really fly around the ice.

Joe Gatenby-smart defenseman that moves pretty well. Always calm on the ice and is very patient to move the puck on the breakout.

Bradley Forrest-Small puck mover but plays with high energy. Could see him grabbing a spot at 16 with a good camp. PP guy that gets it off his stick in a hurry.

Nick McBride-Big goalie that covers a ton of the net. Hard to beat in all areas of the net. Front runner to grab one of the G spots on the team IMO.

Here are just a few thoughts. For more check my twitter or ask and I will do my best to address.
Thanks....you and RS just might make me sign up for twitter.

I think PG is going to surprise some teams this year with their incoming crop.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:33 PM
  #41
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Team Pacific is going to be stacked.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 03:38 PM
  #42
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Team Pacific is going to be stacked.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:25 AM
  #43
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
Another guy I thought was terrific from viewings was Ty Schultz (Med Hat pick), terrific hockey sense and excellent and smooth skating ability. Will be one to watch for, don't know how high his offensive potential will end up being but he will be a valuable WHL player down the line.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 05:16 PM
  #44
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Another guy I thought was terrific from viewings was Ty Schultz (Med Hat pick), terrific hockey sense and excellent and smooth skating ability. Will be one to watch for, don't know how high his offensive potential will end up being but he will be a valuable WHL player down the line.
Ty is a really good prospect. I like his offensive upside. What I like best is that he takes a lot of risks, and they usually pan out. Should be a solid rookie this year. He was good at U17 Camp

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2013, 11:42 AM
  #45
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
I was at Hitmen rookie camp yesterday and prospect Lochlan Morrison came ready to play in the Dub. I heard he is 6'1" 190+, which is a huge jump from when I saw him last November. Should push for one of the few opening with Brennan Riddle, who also came to camp in good shape.

Terrell Draude looked pretty good also. A bit better skating, but still an area of concern. Has the incredible shot that really makes you take notice when he has the puck.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:18 AM
  #46
6 Karlsson 5
Registered User
 
6 Karlsson 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
i played with one of the top rated guys, pretty cool hope he goes far.... i know many people who played bantam aaa where i am from many of them said merkley is unreal

6 Karlsson 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.