HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergey Tolchinsky NYR Bound? [Nope! Signs with Canes 8/22]

Old
07-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
The name sounds familar. I must have seen him in my EHM 07 game.

Screw it. For what its worth.. heres his page. I'm not sure why hes in the ECHL.. those ratings are pretty solid.. lol

He went in the 4th round, 2014 draft.
Because Ottawa doesn't have an AHL team if you use the updated rosters, etc.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:39 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah there's no way he's 5'8". More like 5'6". Still worth a gamble, though.
Agreed.
Not sure I read the same stuff noted in the OP, or I just got the height wrong.
Also thought I read 5'6.

But in any event, while at that point every inch counts, there can be an X factor.
If he has superior speed, superior skating, superior skills, superior shot; might add up.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:47 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The risk is minimal. We lose nothing but a contract slot by giving him a chance. The team reserves a certain number of slots for undrafted players every year, so if it isn't this kid, it will be some other long shot.

No matter who we give that contract to, the odds are against the player making it. There's no point in stressing over it.
yeah i guess you're right, but to keep a kid from staying in russia takes an amount of money, and usually a one-way contract.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:00 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
yeah i guess you're right, but to keep a kid from staying in russia takes an amount of money, and usually a one-way contract.
He played in the CHL last year. He can only sign an ELC, and all ELCs are 2-way. I think right now he'd be happy to sign any NHL contract. He isn't going to get much money in the KHL either.

If we sign him, he'll go back to juniors for at least 2 years unless he somehow manages to make the NHL. Playing in the AHL before he is 20 won't be an option for him. We'll then have 3 years of his ELC to evaluate him. So 5 years total to see if he can be a player. After that, we could only hope that KHL money is a factor in re-signing him, because that would mean he is playing well.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:27 AM
broadwayblue

Every time I see this thread title I think somebody had Surgery. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Dactyl

this board is obsessed with size and toughness. hating this prospect purely because he isnt a giant is insane. people here still hate zucc because hes small even though he has proven that he can play in this league. look at boyle and pyatt, they are huge guys who are terrible offensively. do we really need a team of boyles to please some people on this board? skill is underrated here.

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:44 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
this board is obsessed with size and toughness. hating this prospect purely because he isnt a giant is insane. people here still hate zucc because hes small even though he has proven that he can play in this league. look at boyle and pyatt, they are huge guys who are terrible offensively. do we really need a team of boyles to please some people on this board? skill is underrated here.
67 career games over three different stints of three different seasons means he's proven that he can play in the NHL and not have his size be an issue? Size is even a bigger issue for players coming from Europe where the ice surface is bigger.

07-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
67 career games over three different stints of three different seasons means he's proven that he can play in the NHL and not have his size be an issue?
in his past 2 seasons he broke his wrist blocking a shot and he came back late in a shortened season. its not like hes been up and down from the ahl. after watching his past 2 stints i dont understand how anyone could think that he shouldnt be on this team.

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
in his past 2 seasons he broke his wrist blocking a shot and he came back late in a shortened season. its not like hes been up and down from the ahl. after watching his past 2 stints i dont understand how anyone could think that he shouldnt be on this team.
That doesn't address my points.

The facts are he is yet to play a full season's worth of games in his career, let alone one season. He has not show if he can hold up to the wear and tear of a full NHL season.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:54 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
I believe SBOB is referring to the fact that he hasn't even played a full season yet, so nobody knows how he will hold up over an 82 game grind.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
this board is obsesses with size and toughness that can actually play in a top 6 role.. Rangers dont have any players in the whole system like Lucic, Backes, E.Kane, Ladd, D.Brown, Benn, Perry... its sad the Rangers management does not see this as a problem.. lets sign more small players that are not good along the boards and get knocked down easily....

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:09 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
this board is obsesses with size and toughness that can actually play in a top 6 role.. Rangers dont have any players in the whole system like Lucic, Backes, E.Kane, Ladd, D.Brown, Benn, Perry... its sad the Rangers management does not see this as a problem.. lets sign more small players that are not good along the boards and get knocked down easily....
of course, because we should never be signing guys that can work WITHOUT the boards, and know how to move the puck...

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Youre simply making this up. A lie.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
I'm not saying don't sign him - his skill set is obvious - but he is NOTICEABLY small in the CHL. He's not even playing against grown men there and he looks tiny. Size is defintiely a concern, more so than say a Nigel Dawes, who was at least stocky for his height.
Even if he is small, he looked real slick moving around the bigger guys. There is absolutely no risk at all in signing him. Try him out. Nigel Dawes had skating issues otherwise he'd still be in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
My driver's license says I'm 5'8". I used to tell people that as well, because I really wanted to be. And I didn't even have anything to gain by lying! I'm actually 5'7".

He's noticeably small. I have watched a lot of junior and NCAA hockey in my time, where you regularly see small guys. And he's smaller than the small guys. Can I state with 100 percent certainty that he's 5'6"? No. But nor can Elite Prospects, or HockeyDB, or any other similar site state that he's taller. They rely on information gathered elsewhere. They don't measure the kids. Teams lie about their kids' height all the time. It's standard practice. Kids lie about their own height all the time! Particularly if they think they might have something to gain.

It's all beside the point though. I don't care what his height is. If he has skill, I'm all for giving him a shot. There's no risk. Someone will get that spot.
Exactly. That's it in a nutshell. Bravo to you!!

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

We're all so bored that any topic is worth arguing about.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Jacques Strap

Does anyone think the signing of Nathan Gerbe by the Carolina Hurricanes put them out of the running for signing another small guy in Sergei Tolchinsky? Let's hope so !!! Sign him already !!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428486

Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
Does anyone think the signing of Nathan Gerbe by the Carolina Hurricanes put them out of the running for signing another small guy in Sergei Tolchinsky? Let's hope so !!! Sign him already !!!

No..

Old
07-26-2013, 08:11 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

No. Gerbe is an NHL player. Tolchinsky is a prospect that's likely years away.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:19 AM
Joey Bones

Quote:

No Gerbe is already an NHL player. Nice thought though

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:42 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
The best player in the league isn't six foot and the most physical forward and captain of the Rangers isn't six foot either. Pavel Datsyuk is a blend of hard play and skill and he's not six foot either. Bryan Boyle had one foot out of this league until he learned how to skate. Skating is far more important than size and this kid can skate. He's got an elite will with his competitive drive and that's something you can't teach. Wolski had size and skill yet lacked that drive. Sign the kid, he's worth a shot!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

I think the fact that he's already agreed to play for NYR at Traverse (as I think I read) is a good sign that he'd look to sign with us over the Canes.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
I think the fact that he's already agreed to play for NYR at Traverse (as I think I read) is a good sign that he'd look to sign with us over the Canes.
Unless he has a precise goal of signing with the Rangers, I don't think that makes a difference. The Canes can sign him before Traverse City starts and he just won't attend. And if it isn't about signing with the Rangers, but getting an NHL contract, he won't hesitate to sign the deal with the Canes. After all, even after Traverse City, there is no guarantee of a Rangers contract.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:09 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Wolski had size and skill yet lacked that drive. Sign the kid, he's worth a shot!
Wolski is also nearly bereft of hockey sense. That's what separates guys. Alexei Yashin was heartless... but he had a few very good years when he was young because he had the inuitiveness...

Side note: Yashin is also a very good person FWIW...

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:43 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Remember, the kid is young and could still grow 1-2 inches. It happens. The kid is incredibly skilled. I wish Detroit could have brought him in for a tryout.

Skill + passion + drive is better then some plug + with size + couldnt stickhandle a beach ball...

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:51 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Remember, the kid is young and could still grow 1-2 inches. It happens. The kid is incredibly skilled. I wish Detroit could have brought him in for a tryout.

Skill + passion + drive is better then some plug + with size + couldnt stickhandle a beach ball...
This. And the Rangers have too many of the latter.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote