HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Cody Franson Trade Talk "Will Heat Up"

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Anth93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I don't think we should assume this is purely a cap squeeze issue. I think Nonis knows Franson punched above his weight class last year and isn't worth $4.5M/year or whatever he wants. Better to sell high.

It would leave Leafs short on right shot defenders should they trade him. It seemed Carlyle preferred LD-RD pairings, which was a main reason for Kostka playing as much as he did.
Haha, oh come on you know this isn't true.

Franson/Kadri/Gunnarsson were essential to this offseason. Nonis decided to go in a different direction and come back to these three hoping they'd be ready to sign the papers when he got to them. It was predictable and inevitable the minute we saw "Bozak resigns/Clarkson signs".

Old
Machinae

Franson is the most overrated player to EVER suit up for the Leafs.

I can't fathom the love affair with this guy. All the tools and no toolbox, played sheltered minutes and barely looked passable. Was horrible vs Boston. If we get anything for him it's a miracle.

Old
StuckOutHere

Said it before, I'd love to make a deal around a guy like Roman Polak. One of the most underrated d-men in the league.

Old
SkiesOfArcadia
Duckjet's Chairman

You sign Clarkson for inflated value, but you're willing to let Franson go when he wants a raise? Right after he's played awesomely in the playoffs?

Nonis Logic.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
I like how people are bashing Nonis without knowing what Franson wants. If he wants more than 3-3.5 he can find another team.
Yeah because clearly we don't value our 3rd best Dman. Instead we put an emphasis on the 3rd line wingers and the worst top 6 forward in the NHL.

Old
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
No because paying Franson a million more than he deserves is a better option than having Clarkson and Bozak. In terms of hockey ability,

Franson

Clarkson

Bozak
You have no idea what's going on in negotiations, yet act like Nonis is throwing Franson aside.

Old
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
You sign Clarkson for inflated value, but you're willing to let Franson go when he wants a raise? Right after he's played awesomely in the playoffs?

Nonis Logic.
Nonexistent. The guy's in over his head.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:52 AM
SkiesOfArcadia
Duckjet's Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
well since you guys arent thinking about this differently and you literally just take words for face value, I think this is a smart move by nonis. If franson wants to stay in toronto, this will play a small small part in bringing his contract demands down because nonis is essentially saying that "your demands are too high right now and we arent afraid to trade you" I think it will personally help the contract situation out a bit
How does this make sense when Nonis broke the bank and gave a third-liner $5.3mil? Why should Nonis pay top dollar for UFAs and not for his own players?

Old
07-26-2013, 11:53 AM
tml145

something like this usually comes out right before the player is signed

Old
Rare Jewel
Patience

Of course this was coming.

Ranger and Gunnarson signed in the last few days, And nothing on this front.

Oh well.

Old
EarlGrey

I wonder how much money Franson is looking for. I'd be interested for the Ducks, but we have no cap space and probably dont't have the assets to pull off a deal. We'd have to send someone like Souray back and then add a prospect and a pick. Too steep a price imo.

Old
TootooTrain
Bangers

Dreger being captain obvious. This is what arbitration is for.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:54 AM
caley

James Mirtle
Quote:
Blueline improves how? RT @DarrenDreger: Franson trade speculation will heat up. Leafs would like to keep him, but $$ is too much.
Dreger
Quote:
@mirtle. Don't have Leafs cap specifics in front of me, but, Franson at $4+ has to be reasoning behind trade consideration.
Quote:
@mirtle. Now, stop bugging me...i'm on vacation.
Not sure there are THAT many teams around the league willing to work Franson into their cap-space/lineup at $4+ million.

Roo

he's not elig for arbitration.

if his demands are ridiculous, let him sit the season.

Old
Gberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
well since you guys arent thinking about this differently and you literally just take words for face value, I think this is a smart move by nonis. If franson wants to stay in toronto, this will play a small small part in bringing his contract demands down because nonis is essentially saying that "your demands are too high right now and we arent afraid to trade you" I think it will personally help the contract situation out a bit
This.

Franson and his agent are probably asking for 'UFA' money, around 4.5 million. But they can easily be traded to another team, and I'm sure they'd have to settle for less there too. Hopefully a deal is made for 3 to 3.5 million.. I'm guessing 1-2 years, because they won't want to buyout his UFA years.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:55 AM
#Chychrun2016

vCash: 50
Funny how people are ripping Nonis for not singing Franson, yet Brian Burke couldn't do it for a while last season either. Attitude problems? Are you guys forgetting this guy signed a two-year contract in Sweden? Seems like a head case.

Some Leaf fans are embarrassing to say the least.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:56 AM
AuraSphere

This is why I hate Leafs management.... Sign a bad overrated player for a 5.25 million long term deal... let go of possibly our best defenseman this last season.

My goodness -.-"

Old
07-26-2013, 11:56 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Not sure there are THAT many teams around the league willing to work Franson into their cap-space/lineup at $4+ million.
Exactly; he's asking for too much. If he were a UFA on a market thin on defensemen, maybe he could get a team to bite. But it's obvious he's asking for too much money (as he did last year too) and TML aren't prepared to give it up.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Mikeyg
Best in the World

Quote:
How does this make sense when Nonis broke the bank and gave a third-liner $5.3mil? Why should Nonis pay top dollar for UFAs and not for his own players?
you cant compare UFA signings and RFA signings, thats your first problem. In UFA you target a player and state the max price/term you will pay for him, there is NO BARGAINING, in rfa its 100% bargaining that's the difference, people are quick to forget that franson (although played well over the whole season) played 3rd pairing for most of it and top pp every night to inflate his value. If nonis payed top dollar for every player.... we wouldnt have a team. Thats the difference, UFA you literally HAVE to pay top dollar because you have no power against doing that if you really want the player

Old
tml145

Quote:
Originally Posted by js19 View Post
you sign clarkson for inflated value, but you're willing to let franson go when he wants a raise? Right after he's played awesomely in the playoffs?

Nonis logic.
ufa - rfa

Old
SarcazemKadri

Quote:
Cody Franson is an RFA. The difference between RFA contracts and UFA contracts are very different.

There! You learn something new everyday.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:59 AM
SarcazemKadri

Any teams in need of a Dman? Wouldn't mind hearing some proposals on him.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:59 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I always got the sense Franson wanted to get paid. Thats just the impression he always gave off when he spoke of how dissapointed he was in coaches (Wilson/Trotz) when they didn't give him an opportunity to play more minutes. So far he's been above average 16-18 minute defenseman yet he's being talked about like a top-4 force out there. He's good, not THAT good. Any team with a dissapointing PP should be interested.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Franson is easily worth more than Gunnarsson.

At least 4 mil is fair for him, honestly.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Mikeyg
Best in the World

I wish he could just get rid of liles some how, god call up Calgary or some1 and ask for a 4th and move on with your day

Closed Thread