HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Franson Trade Talk "Will Heat Up"

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
And this makes sense for Florida?
Revenue sharing money will cover the difference.

Nothing thrills me about Gudbranson anyway.

Old
JS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
Just saying, Gudbranson is steamrolling towards a change of scenery type deal.
Except people are going to see it as a marginal/downgrade move. And it doesn't make any sense to do that (esp. when defensemen are known to take longer to develop than forwards...plus Florida rushed him).

Old
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
Schenn didn't sign till the end of august 2 years ago.
you think nonis wil. Take a step backwards, after making moves to improve the leafs?
relax guys, its along summertime
Difference was Schenn has never felt slighted by the organization. It has been well documented that Franson has been unhappy at times with the team. This was going to be a tough sign all along. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
He wants the opportunity[...] He played great in a sheltered role last season though.
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

In the quoted sentence and a half above is everything anyone ever needed to know about Cody Franson. He's utterly brilliant at what he does (the power play, and defending against lower-tier forwards) and too easily exploited if you try to put him to work doing anything else - and yet he is utterly, unshakably convinced he can do more if he just gets his 8927th chance at it, and this will drive your coaches mad at times and it'll drive your GM mad at contract renegotiation time.

He's been that way since pretty much forever. He's a Marc-Andre Bergeron who's more or less competent at defense and thereby thinks he's a two-way star.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If the Flyers weren't so damn jammed up in cap space, I would love Franson on the Flyers. RHD who can move the puck. He is a little soft, but we have players who can make up for that.

Offer wise, I wouldn't offer anything more than a 2nd and b level prospect. He has one good season in a shortened year, not worth top picks or prospects.
Just playing with capgeek right now, the Flyers could easily fit in Franson at 4 M if they want to use the bonus cushion and demote a Gervais/Gustafsson. This assumes Pronger on LTIR, of course.

Old
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyourselfsomerest View Post
And in terms of playing their position (ie. Clarkson's ability to be a power forward, Bozak's ability to be a 1st line center, Franson's ability to play defense)

Clarkson

Bozak
Franson
ummm...a 2nd line PF does not have more value than a 1st line C. In reality, Bozak and Clarkson should be being paid about the same...4 million per.

Old
Canadian Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Haha right because somebody's going to do us a favor and take Liles and his dreadful contract.

Realistically, Nonis ****ed up and everyone saw it coming. He thought he could low ball and play the tight cap space game... When you're signing your 6th and 7th best forwards to 4.5+ million dollar deals. You'll never sign your own.
Can't blame Nonis for Liles contract though. That was Burke. Plus it's hard to say that Nonis ****ed us when the season hasn't even started yet. Clarkson and Bozak may have awesome seasons. Those were also 2 pieces the Leafs needed.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:16 PM
dnicks17

I just don't see how it makes sense to give a big payday to a defenseman who still hasn't shown he's able to face anything other than the softest competition.

He had a very promising 7 game stretch in the play-offs, but you're just rolling the dice on a guy who has been heavily sheltered his entire career.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:16 PM
HarrisonFord
LA Kings Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
I like how people are bashing Nonis without knowing what Franson wants. If he wants more than 3-3.5 he can find another team.
Pretty much this. It's not like we don't have any better young defensemen coming up through the system that should be ready to hit the NHL within the next season or two (i.e. Rielly, Granberg, Percy, Finn, Nilsson, Blacker)

Old
07-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
Schenn didn't sign till the end of august 2 years ago.
you think nonis wil. Take a step backwards, after making moves to improve the leafs?
relax guys, its along summertime
The difference is the situation, we do not have the cap space to sign him and Kadri.

The Fraser arbitration hearing will have a major impact on if we can sign both Franson and Kadri.

They both probably want $4 million or more.

Old
bobbyflex

Quote:
You guys are going to be extremely disappointed when you don't get a top prospect or 1st rounder for Franson in return if he is moved.

If you do somehow find a desperate GM(who needs the cap space and is extremely desperate for defense help) and get that offer, you run and rejoice on the hills.

B level prospect, a player like Cousins from the Flyers(potential to be a very good agitating 3rd line winger who has good hands and scoring ability) and a 2nd/3rd rounder. If I was a GM and the want was more, I would politely decline. Too much for one good 48 game season.
Leafs will match an offersheet up to $3.3 million. After that, compensation is a 1st + 3rd (up to $5m). So yes, his trade value is at least a 1st round pick

Old
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
Quote:
You guys are going to be extremely disappointed when you don't get a top prospect or 1st rounder for Franson in return if he is moved.

If you do somehow find a desperate GM(who needs the cap space and is extremely desperate for defense help) and get that offer, you run and rejoice on the hills.

B level prospect, a player like Cousins from the Flyers(potential to be a very good agitating 3rd line winger who has good hands and scoring ability) and a 2nd/3rd rounder. If I was a GM and the want was more, I would politely decline. Too much for one good 48 game season.
Curious what you think a player like Voynov is worth?

Old
07-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Beastly Bozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I just don't see how it makes sense to give a big payday(or even get a big return for him) to a defenseman who still hasn't shown he's able to face anything other than the softest competition.

He had a very promising 7 game stretch in the play-offs, but you're just rolling the dice on a guy who has been heavily sheltered his entire career.
I'm really hoping he signs a short contract to prove himself

Old
07-26-2013, 12:18 PM
BlazingWithCharizard*

Dave fatboy Nonis can give bozak a no good waste centre 4.2 million but can't pay our top offensive dman? The guy was on pace for a 60 point season man. And most of those points came in the second half of the season when he got more playing time. **** you Nonis. Really **** you.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:19 PM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Except people are going to see it as a marginal/downgrade move. And it doesn't make any sense to do that (esp. when defensemen are known to take longer to develop than forwards...plus Florida rushed him).
I mean, I'd consider Franson an upgrade over Gudbranson. What it is is mortgaging whether or not Gudbranson will become a better player in that environment. I have no doubt there is a lot of upside, but disgruntled players tend to trend downwards. It's safe to say the relationship with management is somewhat fractured between both these players and their individual clubs.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:19 PM
JS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Game View Post
Can't blame Nonis for Liles contract though. That was Burke. Plus it's hard to say that Nonis ****ed us when the season hasn't even started yet. Clarkson and Bozak may have awesome seasons. Those were also 2 pieces the Leafs needed.
Arguable. They didn't need Clarkson considering his body of work doesn't really show much aside from third-line numbers.

And with the UFA pool, they could've done better than Bozak as a 1C.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Curious what you think a player like Voynov is worth?
Voynov is a much better all around defender than Franson, so much more than him. Those two really shouldn't be compared

Also, just because the compensation for an offers sheet is a first rounder for Franson at 3.3 million doesn't mean he is worth that. If he wanted that and got that offer sheet, don't you think it would be signed then?

Old
07-26-2013, 12:21 PM
JS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
I mean, I'd consider Franson an upgrade over Gudbranson. What it is is mortgaging whether or not Gudbranson will become a better player in that environment. I have no doubt there is a lot of upside, but disgruntled players tend to trend downwards. It's safe to say the relationship with management is somewhat fractured between both these players and their individual clubs.
Florida fans may not see it the same way is what I was trying to say. It's too easy to see this as "disgruntled." I mean, Subban didn't sign until the beginning of the season, does that mean he's disgruntled? Or does he just want to be paid what he's worth? Bergevin still seems to like him too.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Dave Nonis ladies and gentlemen. An idiot.
Welcome to the cap world.

I think you need to understand, Leafs have an abundance of young defensive talent on the way that can hopefully fill the void if Franson is demanding too much money.

Your criticism of Nonis isshort sighted not taking into account that we are in a cap league. What do you propose, overpay and handcuff the Leafs from re-signing Kessel and Phaneuf. There are only so many $ to go around.

As good as Franson was for us last year, he is not a core player, but he may fetch a a good return if he is traded.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
Quote:
Voynov is a much better all around defender than Franson, so much more than him. Those two really shouldn't be compared

Also, just because the compensation for an offers sheet is a first rounder for Franson at 3.3 million doesn't mean he is worth that. If he wanted that and got that offer sheet, don't you think it would be signed then?
???

They're both offensive defensemen. What are you basing this on?

Franson was in fact the better defenseman last year, with a 5.1 Corsi Relative compared to Voynov's -6.1

Old
07-26-2013, 12:23 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

I wouldnt be devastated if we lost Franson. As long as its a first and a good prospect.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Roo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I just don't see how it makes sense to give a big payday to a defenseman who still hasn't shown he's able to face anything other than the softest competition.

And that's exactly it. He played 3rd pairing even strength minutes during the season with Fraser, and got lots of PP time. So, he put up a good point total, but he still has more to prove. He is not worth $4M+, and should be in the $3M like Gunnarsson. Some will argue that, but Gunnarsson plays tougher minutes on the top pairing with Dion, and has been around longer.

This speaks to the Subban scenario with MTL a year ago. Not saying he's on his level but he (and Kadri) should be getting bridge contracts. Franson was a tough sign last time, and will be again. I'm not worried, I think he wants to be here. In the end, he made like $1.2M and will get a significant raise any way you slice it. He'll double his salary at least. I think $3.25 is the right amount per.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:24 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Welcome to the cap world.

I think you need to understand, Leafs have an abundance of young defensive talent on the way that can hopefully fill the void if Franson is demanding too much money.

Your criticism of Nonis isshort sighted not taking into account that we are in a cap league. What do you propose, overpay and handcuff the Leafs from re-signing Kessel and Phaneuf. There are only so many $ to go around.

As good as Franson was for us last year, he is not a core player, but he may fetch a a good return if he is traded.
That's the thing, Nonis has already overpaid and has already handcuffed the Leafs.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
love that Mirtle immediatly tweeted Dregger saying "And the blueline improves how?" and Dregs just says leave me alone I'm on vacation.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:25 PM
getyourselfsomerest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstertainment View Post
This couldn't be more wrong.
Franson is the most overrated player on the Leafs. He's good offensively. Defensively he's been getting better but he's still horrible.(see: game 7) With Gardiner and Rielly in the system, Franson will be gone soon enough, whether it's this season or two seasons from now. Leafs fans once again attracted to what's flashy. Playing a good half-season is apparently worth over $4 mil.

Closed Thread