HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Travis Zajac

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2013, 07:21 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

vCash: 500
Probably a 2nd round draft pick, a bottom 6 centre and a mid level prospect.

07-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Itwasallgoodaweekago

Let me start this by saying I am a huge New Jersey fan that being said zajac is not a no1 center it's unfortunate that most Devs fans think he is , zajac is a good no2 center that in his twilight years may turn into a Chris Kelly type because he's defense abilities, now how much is he worth on the trade market depending the team of say a number 3-4 prospect an a decent forward I could be under valuing him but If you were to trade him to STL Chris Stewart an Jaden Schwartz would be a great return

Old
07-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
If Zajac was still a 60-65 point two-way centre.. Itd be an ok contract.

But his last solid season was FOUR seasons ago. Considering the contract length, itd be pretty risky for any team to take him on.

I like Zajac, but the guy needs to rebound to get his value back up.
^^^^

This is the most accurate comment. If he is a 40-45 point guy...then he is overpaid. If he gets back up to 60 points...then he is fine campared to his contract.

As a Flyers fan, we see him lots. He is very good defensively and a good all around hockey player. Realistically, if he was a #2 C getting paid 4.75 mill...he would be perfect. That way if he was getting 40-50 points...no issue. NJ fans should be a bit worried that over the past 2 years his PPG pace puts him at a 33 point season. This will be a big year to see what player he is in the future.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

That contract is horrible, Devils wouldn't trade him anyway.

Old
07-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itwasallgoodaweekago View Post
Let me start this by saying I am a huge New Jersey fan that being said zajac is not a no1 center it's unfortunate that most Devs fans think he is , zajac is a good no2 center that in his twilight years may turn into a Chris Kelly type because he's defense abilities, now how much is he worth on the trade market depending the team of say a number 3-4 prospect an a decent forward I could be under valuing him but If you were to trade him to STL Chris Stewart an Jaden Schwartz would be a great return
First off, punctuation is your friend.

Secondly, I don't think there is one Devils fan that says Zajac is a legit #1 center. but he IS the best center the Devils have, so that makes him their #1.

trading him for that return makes no sense. trading him for anything short of a package for a better center makes no sense. this whole thread makes no sense.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Itwasallgoodaweekago

Wasn't this thread about his value if he hit the trade market.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
First off, punctuation is your friend.

Secondly, I don't think there is one Devils fan that says Zajac is a legit #1 center. but he IS the best center the Devils have, so that makes him their #1.

trading him for that return makes no sense. trading him for anything short of a package for a better center makes no sense. this whole thread makes no sense.
Ummm...I think if the Devils could trade Zajac today for Stewart and Schwartz they would do it. Yes it leaves a hole at C but you can make other trades for that. NJD even cuts salary in that deal. I do agree though...Zajac isn't getting traded.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:33 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Ummm...I think if the Devils could trade Zajac today for Stewart and Schwartz they would do it. Yes it leaves a hole at C but you can make other trades for that. NJD even cuts salary in that deal. I do agree though...Zajac isn't getting traded.
You make it sound as though the Devils have a wealth of assets that they could trade for a first-line center.

They don't.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:47 AM
eco's bones

He's signed until he's 36. That's 8 years at $5.75 mil per for a guy who over the last 3 years has scored 22 goals and 70 points total in 145 games played--which averages out to about 40 points per season. No. 1 center? For **** sake. If he's your No. 1 center you're going nowhere. Overpaid slightly?-- I don't think so and the term is a lot longer than it needs to be. Fair deal for Zajac would have been $3.5 mil per for 4 years. Then he'd have some real value--kind of like a Matt Cullen 10 years ago or Chris Kelly today. I don't know what LL was thinking--somehow he loses Parise but he has to lock this guy up long term. Not that Zajac is a bad player but I wouldn't go near that contract of his and for the thread starter--you can't really separate a player's value from his contract--it doesn't work in a cap world.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:57 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
He's signed until he's 36. That's 8 years at $5.75 mil per for a guy who over the last 3 years has scored 22 goals and 70 points total in 145 games played--which averages out to about 40 points per season. No. 1 center? For **** sake. If he's your No. 1 center you're going nowhere. Overpaid slightly?-- I don't think so and the term is a lot longer than it needs to be. Fair deal for Zajac would have been $3.5 mil per for 4 years. Then he'd have some real value--kind of like a Matt Cullen 10 years ago or Chris Kelly today. I don't know what LL was thinking--somehow he loses Parise but he has to lock this guy up long term. Not that Zajac is a bad player but I wouldn't go near that contract of his and for the thread starter--you can't really separate a player's value from his contract--it doesn't work in a cap world.
Lou Lamoriello was thinking that if he lost Travis Zajac, the team would be much worse off at the center position than it would be with him.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:02 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

vCash: 50
Seems to me he is going to get the same HF treatment as Paul Stastny except for a much longer time. He has the potential to return to a 60 pt player, and is really at the midpoint of his career. Even if he gets his game back on track, I'm sorry, but Devils fans will have to withstand all of the garbage offers and value bashing that is sure to follow.

As for his value, I think until he shows he can return to form, he won't garner much more than 2nd round value to a team with some cap flexibility who is really needing a 2C and is a bubble type team.

"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
Old
07-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
he was the #1 center when the Devils were 2 OT losses away from winning the Cup.

and yes, overpaid slightly. by maybe $1 million. but I'd rather overpay by that then not have him at all.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:08 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

I would rather have Zajac at his contract than Parise at his or Kovalchuk at his. Easily. His scoring will bounce back and he still won't let anyone score while he's on the ice.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:25 AM
BillDineen

Zajac + 3rd for a 7th rounder.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Zajac + 3rd for a 7th rounder.
deal!

Old
07-26-2013, 10:33 AM
jsylvestre
Rookie User

Send a message via MSN to jsylvestre Send a message via Skype™ to jsylvestre
Quote:
he was the #1 center when the Devils were 2 OT losses away from winning the Cup.

and yes, overpaid slightly. by maybe $1 million. but I'd rather overpay by that then not have him at all.
Correction: two wins away from winning the Cup. And the Kings played a much better series.

I'd agree Zajac would be fine if he was a million cheaper. He brings a lot to the table besides points that is hard to find.

As of right now, his contract reduces his trade value. He might be worth a 2nd round pick and a decent prospect (maybe Dallas' Chiasson/Guptill). But I can see teams wanting to pay even less.

That's where I see his value. Whether or not NJ trades him I don't really give a **** because that wasn't the topic of this thread.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Valor

Zajac is gonna have a bounce back year. The last two I can excuse because of injuries/returning from injuries and all that. I even give him a pass because of the Johnny Mac "era". If he doesn't rebound to a sixty point player this year, I'll agree with the majority in that he has no value because of his contract.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:01 AM
ThatGuy22

Quote:

The caphit isn't really the biggest problem though. Its the term that I would hate if I had a stake in the Devils.

He needs to stay healthy and get his scoring back up before he has any where near the value Devils fans think he has.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itwasallgoodaweekago View Post
Blues laugh at that. Schwartz had as many goals as Zajac did and he spent a majority of his time on the fourth line.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Jerzey Devil

I like Zajac but I have him as a 2nd line center at the most and being overpaid by about a million. He's a great kind of player to have on your team though. He's our new John Madden and I'm happy he's locked up but IMO we still need a #1 center. Actually I'd say we need an entire first line. We have 2 second lines and 2 third lines IMO.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:27 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
People don't think it's at all fishy that his last two full seasons the Devils were 28th and 30th in offense?

People act like he just forgot how to play hockey and fell off a cliff. Outside of 2012 the Devils have not had a very good offense lately.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:32 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Lou Lamoriello was thinking that if he lost Travis Zajac, the team would be much worse off at the center position than it would be with him.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
I would rather have Zajac at his contract than Parise at his or Kovalchuk at his. Easily. His scoring will bounce back and he still won't let anyone score while he's on the ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor View Post
Zajac is gonna have a bounce back year. The last two I can excuse because of injuries/returning from injuries and all that. I even give him a pass because of the Johnny Mac "era". If he doesn't rebound to a sixty point player this year, I'll agree with the majority in that he has no value because of his contract.
well--if healthy he should be getting plenty of ice time this year to show his stuff. The way some of you are describing him resembles Patrice Bergeron and I'll tell you I'd much rather have Bergeron on my team than Zajac. He's a good player but he's definitely not someone I think of when I think about 1st line center men. Again $3.5 mil per for 4 years--that is where I would put him.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
well--if healthy he should be getting plenty of ice time this year to show his stuff. The way some of you are describing him resembles Patrice Bergeron and I'll tell you I'd much rather have Bergeron on my team than Zajac. He's a good player but he's definitely not someone I think of when I think about 1st line center men. Again $3.5 mil per for 4 years--that is where I would put him.
Bergeron is obviously the better player but Zajac possesses a similar skillset. Just not as good.

He would easily get more than $3.5 million on the open market, so. especially with some of the contracts handed out recently.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

This is the Devils' Horcoff contract.
He will be untradeable unless they find someone desperate enough.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:49 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
People don't think it's at all fishy that his last two full seasons the Devils were 28th and 30th in offense?

People act like he just forgot how to play hockey and fell off a cliff. Outside of 2012 the Devils have not had a very good offense lately.
Hey--if you're fine with your No. 1 center putting up 22 goals and 70 points in his last 145 games who am I to argue?

When a Devil's poster asks what his value on the trade market is though--don't be surprised when other folks don't look at him in terms of being a 1st line center. He may fill that function for your team but expectations for a guy signed to an 8 year in the neighborhood of $45 million contract for most (if not all) other teams come with higher offensive production. Basically I look at his contract as unjustifiable based on past production or future projected production.

Closed Thread