HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Handling a bruised foot during pick-up

Old
07-25-2013, 05:14 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Handling a bruised foot during pick-up

Sometimes in pick-up hockey someone will take a shot off the foot, calf, or inner thigh which will likely result in a significant bruise. Most of the guys instantly start saying "put some pressure on it" and direct the person in pain to remain skating / standing on the affected leg. Is this the correct action assuming you can't immediately ice the bruise? If so, can you explain why ?

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 500
Pressure supersedes the pain, the nerves just have a higher priority in your body, so putting pressure on it might reduce immediate pain. Continuing skating might just distract you from it.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For me it's just testing the injury to see if I can keep playing or if I have to go home.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:48 PM
JoeCool16

Might be just an old wive's hockey player's tale, but I've always been told when you take a shot off the foot you shouldn't take off the skate until the game is over to check on it, as the pressure will keep it from swelling. No idea if that has any medical basis, but that's what the grizzled vets on my team tell me!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:10 PM
danisonfire
2313 Saint Catherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Might be just an old wive's hockey player's tale, but I've always been told when you take a shot off the foot you shouldn't take off the skate until the game is over to check on it, as the pressure will keep it from swelling. No idea if that has any medical basis, but that's what the grizzled vets on my team tell me!
This is true; I broke my ankle and finished a game. Once the game was over, I took off the boot and my foot swelled substantially. It also didn't really hurt while playing (adrenaline?), after the game it was extremely painful.

danisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 01:56 PM
Malarowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
In the boot it has nowhere to swell really. Didn't they just keep a Boston player's foot in the boot once for a few days due to that? Something along those lines.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote