HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Cody Franson Trade Talk "Will Heat Up"

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2013, 02:48 PM
SkiesOfArcadia
Legends Never Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
Nah caps going way up and unlike the Avs the Leafs can spend to the max. Remember when you inherited that cup team and you could do the same because your building was full of bandwagoners? Too bad your now 26th in league attendance now.
Leafs can spend to the max for mediocre players? That's fine by me. At least Avs have a core of good young forwards and even a top center...too bad Leafs can't say the same.

Old
07-26-2013, 02:48 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
At 6.6M some would say Statsny is a very overrated player.
He is overrated. Never became that tier one center he was predicted to be and never will.

I mean he was the 54th ranked center last season based on points with a hair over 0.5ppg.

Old
07-26-2013, 02:49 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Rash View Post
Disregarding the Rangers cap situation for a second, what about Michael Del Zotto and Taylor Pyatt for Cody Franson?
I don't think the Leafs would want that much salary returned in a deal for Franson. That wouldn't solve anything for the Leafs with Kadri and Fraser still to sign. Trading Liles and keeping Franson is the smart move for the Leafs if they can find a taker out there for him.

Old
07-26-2013, 02:50 PM
PhilTheThrill812

Why we needed to blow so much on Clarkson is beyond me.

Old
07-26-2013, 02:52 PM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Leafs can spend to the max for mediocre players? That's fine by me. At least Avs have a core of good young forwards and even a top center...too bad Leafs can't say the same.
Good for them. How did they do last season? Dead last in the west! How will they compliment that core? With what money? That core will be getting big paydays soon and gone are the days of signing your RFAs for peanuts.

Avs fans worried about the Leafs cap is downright hilarious.

Old
07-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Mikeyg
Best in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTheThrill812 View Post
Why we needed to blow so much on Clarkson is beyond me.
if its beyond you then you shouldn't be continuing to talk/think about it then right?

Old
07-26-2013, 02:54 PM
AslanRH
#AvsHockey

vCash: 0
Quote:
Nah caps going way up and unlike the Avs the Leafs can spend to the max. Remember when you inherited that cup team and you could do the same because your building was full of bandwagoners? Too bad your now 26th in league attendance now.
And I remember all those division banners, the second cup team, the fact that the Avs don't feel the need to spend to the max (although the owners can if they wanted) to consistently be a bubble team, and that every team has bandwaggon fans when they are winning.

07-26-2013, 02:54 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
It's a little premature for that, don't you think? Franson is good but he's not THAT good, or at least he hasn't shown it yet. I'm curious to see what his season would look like if he played consistent top-4 minutes: would he thrive or would he get exploited? He'd be a really good addition to any team looking to upgrade their PP though!

Absolutely. Dating back to his Nashville days he wanted more minutes. He thought he'd get them in Toronto but that hasn't been the case either (up until recently, at least). He wants the opportunity and he knows that if he got it there could be a real good chance he could qualify for a nice, fat contract but for some reason Nashville and Toronto haven't yet dedicated a top-4 spot for this defenseman. He played great in a sheltered role last season though.
There was no way he was going to get top 4 minutes in Nashville. His play never justified it, and he was behind Weber, Suter, Hamhuis and Klein.

Old
07-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Clark4Ever

Dreger the mouthpiece is at it again. He's trying to give his good old cousin some leverage in contract negotiations.

Franson isn't going anywhere unless a team is willing to make an offer that is just too good to pass up.

Old
07-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstertainment View Post
He wasn't very sheltered either let's put that Myth to rest already
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

#10 out of 10 looks pretty sheltered to me.

Down With Dr. Evil - Fire Kekalainen.
Old
07-26-2013, 02:57 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastly Bozak View Post
Please go.

Franson was our best d man against the bruins. Look at the minutes, points, etc.

Did you even watch the leafs this season? He played top 4 mins on our d

He was 5th in TOI/game at 18:47, 1 second more than Liles and 17 more than Holzer, for God's sake.

Equal strength? 7th at 15:03 per game, less than Holzer and Liles.

Old
07-26-2013, 02:58 PM
SkiesOfArcadia
Legends Never Die

Quote:
Good for them. How did they do last season? Dead last in the west! How will they compliment that core? With what money? That core will be getting big paydays soon and gone are the days of signing your RFAs for peanuts.

Avs fans worried about the Leafs cap is downright hilarious.
Did you forget your team was in the basement? How cute of you to sound like an internet tough guy when your Leafs made the playoffs once post-lockout.

I wouldn't worry about Avs cap situation seeing how deep Kroenke's pockets are.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Hotlanta

Franson is a tough one, he was huge for the team in playoffs and he was on pace for 53 points. In addition, he is 6'5" & a RHD. That being said, 53 pts would make him a top 5 NHL scoring D if he could do that on a regular basis, which he can't. No Defenseman who can do that consistently would ever be a team's #4D.

So what is he worth?

It's impossible to tell with such a small sample size. Could be worth anywhere from 2.5m - 5m in the future.

Does he want to be here?

It is well documented he has had problems with the organization in the past. What if he only wants a 1-2 year deal till he is a UFA so he can leave. Then we lose him for nothing.

Is he a Top 4D?

Not yet, he still has to prove that he is not a bottom pairing D who is good on the PP.

Is he replaceable?

Toronto has the depth Defensively to replace him.
On the PP we have Gardiner, Liles, Gunnarsson, and maybe Rielly
Top 4 D we have Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Liles, and maybe Ranger

Can he bring in a good return?

Well unlike Liles, he could probably fetch us a 1st or a 2nd and a B Prospect.

-------------------------------
I think if he does not sign a reasonable contract that does not take on too much risk, trading Franson and keeping Liles as a stop gap is the best thing the organization can do. We all knew a D other than Liles would have to go in the next 3 years to make room for one or two of Rielly, Finn, Percy, Blacker, Granberg. A team can't survive in the cap era with 6 D under UFA contracts. We need to keep 3-4 core guys and have the others fight for spots.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:01 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

My favourite part is Leaf fans trying to knock their own players salary down because he was sheltered.

Yes Franson was sheltered, doesn't mean he wasn't damn effective.

Also, would you guys say Kadri was sheltered? I would, and I'd still pay him for it.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:09 PM
redbull
weird season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose of Sutter View Post
Yikes, is that ridiculous Clarkson deal already coming back to haunt the Leafs? What happened to all the cap space?
They have about $6mm left, have Franson and Kadri to sign. Not really in that bad shape. I don't think it was the Clarkson deal as much as the Bozak deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Dave Nonis ladies and gentlemen. An idiot.
Nonis' one mistake might be not buying out Liles (instead of Komisarek) or not dealing one of Grabo/Liles/Komi - but then again, there's probably (very likely) no market for these guys.

Also, re-signing Bozak for that money/term was a mistake but had they kept Grabo, they wouldn't have even less money for Franson/Kadri. "All that cap space" was a media-illusion that lasted a day, until having a closer look at the RFAs and number of players they had signed.

I wonder what a package of Franson & Kadri might fetch? Could they get a #1 centre in return? Kuznetsov (WAS), Nugent-Hopkins (EDM), Ryan O'Reilly (COL)?

I always had a gut feeling the Leafs would deal Kadri - but not so sure after his run last year....but now as an RFA...hm.

Part of me thinks he's not the #1 C they WANT, but probably has enough value to flip him for someone who's better-suited. I doubt players like Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, Kuznetsov, Nugent-Hopkins, Ryan Strome, Michael Granlund (top centre prospects) are available, but I'd think Nonis would need to consider this path.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:10 PM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

Guys, he was NOT a top 4 D-man for us in the regular season. And yes, he WAS sheltered. The playoffs were a different story obviously.

Old
TOML

Quote:
Dreger the mouthpiece is at it again. He's trying to give his good old cousin some leverage in contract negotiations.
Maybe Dregs should tell his cuz to stop writing up all these bad deals in the first place.

Old
WilliamNylander
Stamkos2016

vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

He was 5th in TOI/game at 18:47, 1 second more than Liles and 17 more than Holzer, for God's sake.

Look at the second half of the season and into this playoffs bud

Old
BruinsBtn

So now Leaf fans hate him?

I guess anything over $2m is an overpayment for a bottom pairing defenseman who plays sheltered minutes?

I mean, you can't have it both ways.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:15 PM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
So now Leaf fans hate him?

I guess anything over $2m is an overpayment for a bottom pairing defenseman who plays sheltered minutes?

I mean, you can't have it both ways.
No. Just stating facts. We don't know what he's asking for but the chances are its too much for what he has contributed to the Leafs so far. And not, anything over $2m is not an overpayment.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Bill Waters*

vCash: 410
Next year UFAs: Kessel, Phaneuf, Bolland, Kulimen, McClement, Ranger

Next year RFAs: Gardiner, Riemer

Estemated CapSpace: $26 million, if you can sign this years for around $7 mil; 8 players @ $3.25 each

Old
07-26-2013, 03:16 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

#10 out of 10 looks pretty sheltered to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

Carlyle is slow to give ice time to guys that are coming up in the system. I wish there was a way to track QoC as the season wore on.

Franson had the second highest QoC for us during the playoffs.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:20 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator

Keep the thread on topic, please.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:22 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
If the arbiter values him at greater than $3.5M (solid chance), the Leafs can just walk away. By not filing, he's playing hardball with management. From his standpoint, it was a smart move.
Faulty logic.

If their fans are to be trusted, the Leafs would be foolish to walk away from a $3.5+M and lose him for nothing.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:22 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Waters View Post
Next year UFAs: Kessel, Phaneuf, Bolland, Kulimen, McClement, Ranger

Next year RFAs: Gardiner, Riemer

Estemated CapSpace: $26 million, if you can sign this years for around $7 mil; 8 players @ $3.25 each
You aren't factoring in the risw of the salary cap

Closed Thread