HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Charlie Manuel has been fired (Aug. 16)

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2013, 10:48 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I enjoy them more when they're good, but my expectations are constantly so low I'm rarely disappointed.
To me these last few years were a bonus. The Phils have mostly sucked my entire life I'm used to it. Other than 1993 (when I was like 2 or 3 years old) & these last few years they been brutal to watch.

I still enjoy going to games even when they're lousy so the lower prices in tickets won't be a bad thing if they do go through with a fire sale.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
To me these last few years were a bonus. The Phils have mostly sucked my entire life I'm used to it. Other than 1993 (when I was like 2 or 3 years old) & these last few years they been brutal to watch.

I still enjoy going to games even when they're lousy so the lower prices in tickets won't be a bad thing if they do go through with a fire sale.
Same here. Back in 2008, near the end of the season, my roommate asked me if I was happy about the Phils' performance. I told him it was nice and all, but they would just blow it like always. It made the WS that much better.

That was the point where I finally thought "This it it."

"Hey, thanks for returning that ball I pitched"

07-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I started watching the World Series dvd's last night. Game 4 vs the Dodgers was such an amazing game. I forgot how I used to always say as long as there were innings left in the game they were never out of it. That lineup was insane.

Old
07-26-2013, 07:11 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I started watching the World Series dvd's last night. Game 4 vs the Dodgers was such an amazing game. I forgot how I used to always say as long as there were innings left in the game they were never out of it. That lineup was insane.
Ahh, the Matt Stairs game. Can't beat it.

Old
07-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Yea, well when you have 6 guys that can hit 20 or more HRs. You are never out of it.

Rollins
Vic
Utley
Howard
Burrell
Werth
Feliz
Ruiz

There is HR pop all the way through that line up until Ruiz really and Ruiz would hit .600 in October

Old
07-26-2013, 09:51 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Ahh, the Matt Stairs game. Can't beat it.
"Stairs puts one into the night...."

Old
07-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
I actually enjoyed 2009 more than 2008 up until game 2 of the World Series. Not sure what is was about that team compared to the previous season.

Old
07-26-2013, 02:22 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
I actually enjoyed 2009 more than 2008 up until game 2 of the World Series. Not sure what is was about that team compared to the previous season.
I felt 2009 was much more exciting than 2008 because it got to a more nerve-wracking start in the NLDS than it did the previous year with 2 come-back wins in Colorado. I rank both 2008 and 2009 NLCS series as equally exciting as they pretty much mirrored each other (both series started with Philly wins, both series Philly took a 2-1 series lead into game 4, both times in game 4 Philly comes back and make Broxton look like a chump, both series ended in game 5 with a comfortable lead).

But WS game 1 in 2009 is probably my favorite non-postponed and resumed game of the playoffs in those 2 years. As much as the comebacks those years were exciting, I prefer to watch my team dominate opponents on the largest of stages. Cliff Lee toying with the Yankees in their new digs was awesome, as well as that behind-the-back catch he made on one groundball. When he nonchalantly caught that pop-up without moving I was positively giddy. Then you had the offense get production from just about everyone, with Chase's 2 shots off Sabathia leading the way. It was a total effort from everyone with the only blemish being a harmless one run scored in the bottom of the 9th as Cliff might've been running a bit out of gas as he threw 122 pitches that day.

Too bad game 1 was followed up by games 2-4.

Old
07-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
An exec who speaks frequently with the Phillies says they have talked a lot with the Padres about a deal that could send Luke Gregerson and an outfielder to Philadelphia for a package of young players.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/philad...ies/index.html

Old
07-26-2013, 04:14 PM
The Couturier Effect

Yay mediocrity

Old
07-26-2013, 04:15 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Wow. That would be awful. Like last year, the Phillies are going nowhere.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
we looked dead in the water, looked like we were goiing back to philly 2-2. Then Vic, then Stairs. Those dodger nlcs series were damn exciting. Can't forget about jroll's clutch hit in 2009

Old
07-26-2013, 06:14 PM
Justified
Amaro out

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/95...ff-lee-sources

Let's see if this gets anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I felt 2009 was much more exciting than 2008 because it got to a more nerve-wracking start in the NLDS than it did the previous year with 2 come-back wins in Colorado. I rank both 2008 and 2009 NLCS series as equally exciting as they pretty much mirrored each other (both series started with Philly wins, both series Philly took a 2-1 series lead into game 4, both times in game 4 Philly comes back and make Broxton look like a chump, both series ended in game 5 with a comfortable lead).

But WS game 1 in 2009 is probably my favorite non-postponed and resumed game of the playoffs in those 2 years. As much as the comebacks those years were exciting, I prefer to watch my team dominate opponents on the largest of stages. Cliff Lee toying with the Yankees in their new digs was awesome, as well as that behind-the-back catch he made on one groundball. When he nonchalantly caught that pop-up without moving I was positively giddy. Then you had the offense get production from just about everyone, with Chase's 2 shots off Sabathia leading the way. It was a total effort from everyone with the only blemish being a harmless one run scored in the bottom of the 9th as Cliff might've been running a bit out of gas as he threw 122 pitches that day.

Too bad game 1 was followed up by games 2-4.
Basically how I felt about that year. The Yankees were just a better team, and Hamels and Lidge were terrible.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:28 PM
WhiskeyBoarder
Flyers West HQ

Go back a handful of years and imagine if you could ever foresee the Phils in the position they are now.

When JRoll predicted the NL East championship, it seemed mighty audacious. And then the Mets' collapse. All of which seemed inconceivable before they actually occurred.

Let's talk about the Phillies' first World Series (recently). I was at the University of South Florida with the only person a more genuine Phils fan than I, my brother in my fraternity. Another brother had a projector which we highjacked. After the Phils won their first WS game, my bud and I agreed to sit at the exact same spot on the floor (not on the couch) as we had been during the first win.

The rain delay was perfect. Neither my buddy nor I had Friday classes. So, after the Phils clinched, we rounded up his girlfriend and immediately started driving from Tampa. We took turns sleeping, but eventually made it to Philly in time to have breakfast with his parents in Bryn Mar (or Berwyn, lol, I get them confused; I come from Chester lineage via Berks county). And stood inches separated from the floats during the parade.

I've been to war. And some epic college parties. My career is fulfilling. But memories like those described above are indelible. And why I so love my Philly sports.

I can't imagine the euphoria that will embrace me should the Flyers win the Cup.

Last edited by WhiskeyBoarder: 07-26-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old
07-26-2013, 06:54 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Lee scratched from his start tomorrow because he apparently has a stiff neck. Very interesting.

Old
07-26-2013, 07:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I literally have no faith in Ruben, the only positive thing of him not going through with a firesale is that it likely will get him fired eventually & then we can get someone in that actually knows what they are doing.

It's amazing how he's about the only person left who thinks this team could go somewhere.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 07-26-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old
07-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Cole is going to lose 20 games .

Old
07-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Just saw a tweet that the Phillies have signed the Cuban pitcher Gonzalez for $60 million?

Old
07-26-2013, 09:13 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Just saw a tweet that the Phillies have signed the Cuban pitcher Gonzalez for $60 million?
Yea what's the scouting report on this guy? Must be pretty good for the cash or did Rube overpay?

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 4m
Source confirms report by @JeffPassan that the #Phillies have signed Cuban RHP Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. Per Passan, 6 yrs, $50M plus.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Yup, $50M though. The highest they've ever spent on an international player prior to this was $2M.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Yea what's the scouting report on this guy? Must be pretty good for the cash or did Rube overpay?

Source confirms report by @JeffPassan that the #Phillies have signed Cuban RHP Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez. Per Passan, 6 yrs, $50M plus.
Any info on this guy? El Duque?

Old
07-26-2013, 09:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

I literally know nothing about him but that seems to be the going rate for high-end Cubans as of late.

I was just reading an article about Puig & Chapman. They mentioned other big time players as part of a very promising wave of Cuban players trying to head to the US. I can't remember if his name was in it but there was a pitcher mentioned in it who they said could be the next big thing & is close to MLB ready. I'm not sure if this was in reference to Gonzalez.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 07-26-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old
07-26-2013, 09:18 PM
healthyscratch

Same here, know nothing about him. Read some tweets a couple days ago that he was 26 IIRC and the Red Sox were going hard after him too. I guess that's a good sign.

From Rotoworld:

It's a nice addition for the Phillies who land a potential top of the rotation starter. The 26-year-old right-hander is believed to be nearly major league ready, so he shouldn't require much minor league seasoning.

@JeffPassan: Miguel Gonzalez: 6-2, 185, RHP. FB 91-94, tops out at 96. Cutter, splitter, change. Really impressed scouts in workouts.

Last edited by healthyscratch: 07-26-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old
07-26-2013, 09:20 PM
healthyscratch

I wonder if this makes Lee expendable, rumors are saying that Rube is listening and the Dodgers are trying to go all in and want Lee and Utley. Maybe this makes Clifton expendable?

Old
07-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
I wonder if this makes Lee expendable, rumors are saying that Rube is listening and the Dodgers are trying to go all in and want Lee and Utley. Maybe this makes Clifton expendable?
I would think this would mean they will move Lee either by the deadline or in the offseason. Say he can be a #2 behind Hamels, at $8 million that is good nowadays for a #2. I firmly believe Cole will be fine.

Closed Thread