HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

World Cup of Hockey Returning in 2016.

Old
05-16-2013, 10:55 AM
EbencoyE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
In soccer they are playing international games (with their best players) every year. Including big regional tournaments like Euro.
I'm speaking only about international competitions. The Euro is only Europe obviously, not the world. The equivalent to that would be the NHL hosting a North American Championship between the U.S. and Canada, which I would have no problem with.

the only other international competitions in soccer are the Olympics (mostly U-23 and not best-on-best) and the Confederations Cup, which isn't really considered a premiere event, just a warm-up for the World Cup really.

Quote:
They won't be going to South Korea in 2018.
We'll see. Personally I don't think the NHL is that stupid, but they might be.

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg21Sakic19 View Post
While your right, this is something that has slowly started to change. The North American sports landscape is now more receptive than ever to international sports, as opposed to 1996 or 2004. Waaay more soccer is shown know than ever before, and so is Euroleague Basketball, Rugby, and yes International Ice Hockey.

There is no reason to just sit and say oh well Americans only like domestic competition. Did you see the last World Cup? Did you see the Winter Olympics Hockey in Vancouver? I'd say that garnered a fair bit of attention.

2016 is a very different landscape than 1996 or 2004 were.
I recall seeing here that UEFA CL matches and some Premier League games even get better ratings than NHL games. EPL is going to be on NBC next season, will be interesting too see the ratings then.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
I'm speaking only about international competitions. The Euro is only Europe obviously, not the world. The equivalent to that would be the NHL hosting a North American Championship between the U.S. and Canada, which I would have no problem with.

the only other international competitions in soccer are the Olympics (mostly U-23 and not best-on-best) and the Confederations Cup, which isn't really considered a premiere event, just a warm-up for the World Cup really.

It's pretty disingenious to ignore that international soccer is being played every year at the highest level while trying to compare it to ice hockey.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I recall seeing here that UEFA CL matches and some Premier League games even get better ratings than NHL games. EPL is going to be on NBC next season, will be interesting too see the ratings then.
The big games can rival NHL games. I believe the Barca-United final got 4.2 rating and some bigger CL games got around 2.2 million viewers. Big EPL games can easily top one million viewers which is roughly what an regular season NHL game might see on national TV. I believe last year the Stanley Cup finals averaged 3 million viewers per game.

The thing about the NHL in the US is that it's very much regional. When Pittsburgh or say Boston are in the playoffs or finals, the ratings go up because you get something like 25% or more of TV sets in those metro areas tuned into the game.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Even they won't watch, as not even hockey fans care about hockey in August.

It's a pre-season exhibition and would have TV ratings to reflect that.

Just look at the MLB's World Baseball Classic. It's not even on regular TV anymore, it's been relegated to the MLB network. Bet the MLB wishes they invested more into the Olympics now.
MLB was pretty darn pleased with the past WBC. It set ratings records for the MLB network and was very profitable. If the NHL is looking at the WBC for inspiration, I'd say they'd be very pleased with it.

I just hope the NHL follows MLB's lead and shares the profits with the national federations.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Baseball's adding a second international tournament for inbetween WBCs. WBC qualifying will also likely happen almost two years before the WBC now too.

The second tourney is being called the Premier 12, with obviously 12 teams rather then the 16 in the WBC. Details are still being finalized for it.
Really!? Tell me more.....

Old
05-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
the FIBA World Cup is not best-on-best.

therefore it is not a "premiere" event like the Olympics are, such is my point
How? There are no basketball leagues being played at this time. All the players are available.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:07 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Really!? Tell me more.....
That's actually all the details. After ending the World Cup of Baseball which was barely a big deal, IBAF declared the WBC winner the World Champ. IBAF still wanted another senior tournament inbetween WBCs which will be the Premier 12.

Some think it might simply be the 12 best baseball countries. Some doubt it will have MLB players. I think it might simply be a 12 team invitational with no qualis. Won't know until details finalized.

The forums at baseball-fever.com and mister-baseball.com are useful sties for international baseball news.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
That's actually all the details. After ending the World Cup of Baseball which was barely a big deal, IBAF declared the WBC winner the World Champ. IBAF still wanted another senior tournament inbetween WBCs which will be the Premier 12.

Some think it might simply be the 12 best baseball countries. Some doubt it will have MLB players. I think it might simply be a 12 team invitational with no qualis. Won't know until details finalized.

The forums at baseball-fever.com and mister-baseball.com are useful sties for international baseball news.
It will be a pointless tournament if MLB isn't on board unfortunately.

Old
05-16-2013, 01:37 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
It will be a pointless tournament if MLB isn't on board unfortunately.
I agree, so I'll wait and see about commenting on it. I have some wishes for the tournament myself, so we'll see.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Rob

Quote:
They are not even officially signed on for Sochi and it is less than a year away! No way they are going to a non-hockey nation like South Korea. Many NHL owners have turned against NHL participation in the Olympics for various reasons.

P.S - They did go to Japan but it was considered a practice run for Salt Lake City.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Shootmaster_44

I didn't read this thread so I apologize if this has been covered. Where would the games be hosted? Would this resemble the last World Cups where games are scattered around or would they take a page from the World Baseball Classic and create pods of teams?

I also wonder if North American games would be only in NHL rinks? I'd think if they held a pod (or a game or two) in non-NHL cities, it might actually sell better than in a NHL city. Look at NHL preseason games, in places like Saskatoon they sell out or get near sell outs. In some NHL cities they nearly have to give away tickets to get a decent sized crowd. As much as the World Cup would be special with it being a best vs. best tournament, albeit a preseason tournament, fans in some NHL cities may not be interested. However, you put say Switzerland vs. Czech Republic in a place like Saskatoon or Grand Forks and I suspect you will have a much better crowd than the same game in Toronto or New York.

I know the old Canada Cup used to do this. Though that might have something to do with the Molson/Labatt rivalry rather than anything else. As Molson controlled NHL tv rights mostly HNIC and the Habs, it may have kept a Labatt sponsored tournament shown on CTV out of their arenas. This is likely why the 1987 Canada Cup final was at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton and games were played in Regina, Saskatoon, Halifax etc.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:41 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
I got to thinking about when Bettman promised Europe something in return of not continuing the NHL Premieres. I bet that something could become a continuing World Cup AND Olympics. I mean, up until now i hav'nt been able to get a single idea about what he could be offering that is even near to a yearly NHL Premiere.

Darth Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Pilky01

Quote:
So you are saying that a competition between 16 countries which all happen to be in Europe is not an "international competition"?

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Thesensation19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
They always have these rumours, I'll believe them when there's some type of NHL confirmation.
The rumors over the last 10 years of a return of the WC have been nothing more than a few people saying I wish we had this back or people trying to remember the good ol days.

NHL officials have come out over the last season or two and actually talked about the return. This is why we should be finally excited for the hope of this. Because before it was literally nothing, now the NHL is trying to start the initiation of things.

I believe it was Bill Daly who said that they hope to have it run every two years after the Olympics.

Why not? No reason. They saw how big the Olympics were and they now realize that if they can mimic that with them at the control of everything, it will be very beneficial.

People want to see "best on best" hockey. If it correlates with American time zones, with NHL players then it will be a big hit for the sport and in return the NHL. 10 fold.

I heard that the recent agreement of sending NHL players to play in the Olympics opened up several other doors too. Not like, Oh hey we can do this. Like, okay now that we agreed to this we can now have serious talks about other ventures...

Such as this world cup
And European tours will continue
Having NHL teams play European teams for Summit Series and Super Series.
Maybe even a winter classic in europe

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Thesensation19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Of course European soccer has high ratings. Why are you shocked. Do you know how many immigrants from Europe live in the US? For many of these people, the Champions League is their Super Bowl.

The EPL is the most historic league in the world. Since EPL is so easily broadcasted in the states, you have many people watching.

Going to NBC is going to be huge for the EPL.
I wouldn't be shocked to hear that the EPL helps raise NHL ratings too.

As the EPL games will strengthen the NBC sports viewership and help them advertise hockey easier. As your watching soccer in the morning, you will hear about hockey later on.

I can see it not helping, nor really hurting though, when both of them are on the same time during a weekend game

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Harry22
GO HABS GO!

The tournament should be held every 4 years in February in between Olympic years. That was we have a major tournament with the best players every 2 years.

NHL should start their seasons October 1st of every year and have a 2 week break in February to allow the tournaments to happen, scratch the ASG as well. Non-participating players will get a mid-season break and only the best will compete in the tournament.

August-September WORLD Cup will never work outside of Canada. Start of the NFL and major European soccer leagues and the stretch run in baseball. February or bust.

Harry22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH View Post
The tournament should be held every 4 years in February in between Olympic years. That was we have a major tournament with the best players every 2 years.

NHL should start their seasons October 1st of every year and have a 2 week break in February to allow the tournaments to happen, scratch the ASG as well. Non-participating players will get a mid-season break and only the best will compete in the tournament.

August-September WORLD Cup will never work outside of Canada. Start of the NFL and major European soccer leagues and the stretch run in baseball. February or bust.
February won't work either. Two weeks isn't enough time to organize the tournament with the travel between continents, not to mention that teams that rely heavily on European based players (Russia, Finland) might not have KHL players available at all if they intend on leaving the Russian federation and IIHF (meaning no more international breaks).

Old
08-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

I heard.................Nothing yet, I hope this is true! Long overdue.

Back In Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 05:18 AM
Slimmy

Diluting the WHC isn't a good thing. WC is an invitational which does little to develope and promote hockey in the world. Let the NHL make their bucks on some other spectacle.

Slimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 10:17 AM
habsrule4eva3089

This tournament would be exciting, but if the NHL doesn't continue to go to the Olympics and expects this tournament to replace it, they're quite more thickheaded then I thought.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 05:50 PM
DethOfDragnz

Send a message via MSN to DethOfDragnz
This is great news Canada always seems to dominate on the smaller ice, and Canada has had some legendary moments in the Canada Cup/World Cup Of Hockey. I am curious though if interest will be there as strong as in the past. With NHL players now accepted into the Olympics and the World Hockey Championship, the World Cup of Hockey may have lost some of it's uniqueness. Regardless I know I and a lot of Canadians will be watching this.

DethOfDragnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethOfDragnz View Post
This is great news Canada always seems to dominate on the smaller ice, and Canada has had some legendary moments in the Canada Cup/World Cup Of Hockey. I am curious though if interest will be there as strong as in the past. With NHL players now accepted into the Olympics and the World Hockey Championship, the World Cup of Hockey may have lost some of it's uniqueness. Regardless I know I and a lot of Canadians will be watching this.
Nothing is official yet.

Old
09-03-2013, 02:42 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethOfDragnz View Post
I am curious though if interest will be there as strong as in the past. With NHL players now accepted into the Olympics and the World Hockey Championship, the World Cup of Hockey may have lost some of it's uniqueness. Regardless I know I and a lot of Canadians will be watching this.
I doubt that american fans care that much for the WHC especially since USA Hockey obeviously dont, and they would care even less about it if the World Cup returns. I also imagine that games being played in north america would create quite some traction to them in the USA. But lets not forget that at least the 1996 edition(Dont remember 2004 really much but i guess it was the same) was played both in NA and Europe, and perhaps the playoffs or at least the semis and/or finals will alter between them edition to edition if Bettman sees it fit.

Darth Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2013, 04:34 AM
jfc64

Sedin - Sedin - Lindholm
Silfverberg - Bäckström - Eriksson
Pääjärvi - Berglund - Zibanejad
Backlund - Krüger - Landeskog
Steen - Söderberg

Lindholm - Hedman
Ekman-Larsson - Karlsson