HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Apparently I'm one of the few who actually liked listening to Tencer. I didn't listen to his 6-9 show all that often but I listened to a lot of the Oilers postgame and found him and Brown to be really entertaining.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:15 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Apparently I'm one of the few who actually liked listening to Tencer. I didn't listen to his 6-9 show all that often but I listened to a lot of the Oilers postgame and found him and Brown to be really entertaining.
Same here. He's over the top sometimes ... like his mocking of Vancouver fans and his rant on Lance Armstrong, but in general his show is very entertaining.
Miles and miles better than Gregor.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:18 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
I hardly listen to the radio when he was on, but my biggest issue is how much of a ****** he is on twitter. Lots a lot of respect for him with all his bs. Same happened with Gregor, still like Gregor, but not as big of a fan as I once was.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Agreed. I've never understood all this Tencer hate, congrats to him for moving up the food chain at CHED.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

I listened when Tencer did the 9am-12pm slot earlier this year and thought it was quite good. Rutherford's show became to dry for me. Interviews about health stuff and retirements plans was just boring radio. In my opinion it only appealed to the 55 and up crowd so i'm glad for the change of format.

Tencer and Grose should appeal to a younger demographic as well as provide a few laughs along the way.

I'm definitely going to give it a go. It's up to them now to make it interesting on a daily basis.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:36 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

so Tencer's 9-12 show isn't sports is it?

Old
07-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
No I think its just like a random stuff / current events show.

Old
07-26-2013, 12:48 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
No. It will be other stuff he knows nothing about.

Old
07-26-2013, 01:41 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No. It will be other stuff he knows nothing about.
This,
Why on earth would anyone want to listen to Tencer talk about current events, the guy literally has no credentials to talk about such things.

Old
07-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
This,
Why on earth would anyone want to listen to Tencer talk about current events, the guy literally has no credentials to talk about such things.
I don't listen to those morning shows but if this is what I think it is then it's one of those shows that relies more on the personality of it's hosts than the content of their show. I guess that means Tencer has a marketable personality. Who knew...

Old
07-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I don't listen to those morning shows but if this is what I think it is then it's one of those shows that relies more on the personality of it's hosts than the content of their show. I guess that means Tencer has a marketable personality. Who knew...
What they're looking for is strong personalities who are not afraid to assert their sometimes controversial opinions on-air. Both Tencer and Grose have those qualities. Wonder who Primeau's new co-host will be.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Rpro

Well that's too bad. I always preferred Tencer to Gregor. Can't stand when Gregor goes into one of his patented hourly whiny rants.

Old
07-26-2013, 03:38 PM
OilerFan4Life

So will CHED poach a 1260 guy for the night slot?

Old
07-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
This,
Credentials has nothing to do with it. Why not question Andrew Grosse's credentials too?

it has to do with entertainment and apparently Grosse and Tencer does a good job at bringing in people to listen to the show.

Old
07-26-2013, 04:47 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
So will CHED poach a 1260 guy for the night slot?
I've heard Reed Wilkens named mentioned

Old
07-26-2013, 05:41 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
I've heard Reed Wilkens named mentioned
Would be a terrible move but then again it's CHED

Old
07-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Same here. He's over the top sometimes ... like his mocking of Vancouver fans and his rant on Lance Armstrong, but in general his show is very entertaining.
Miles and miles better than Gregor.
Gregor blows Tencer away. Gregor actually has a clue about sports, can actually interview, & has the nuts to ask tough questions.

Old
07-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
What they're looking for is strong personalities who are not afraid to assert their sometimes controversial opinions on-air. Both Tencer and Grose have those qualities. Wonder who Primeau's new co-host will be.
Primeau was let go. Mark Scholz (remember him?) and J'Lyn Nye (who used to do the morning show on 92.5) are doing a show from 2-6.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:53 PM
vespa99

I have listened to CHED for years and they have always had some real weak local talent. I hate to see anyone lose their job but LP did not belong on the radio in any capacity. The fact that she lasted as long as she did was amazing. As for DT I never minded his show. Sure he was a little over the top with his opinions at times but at least he had one.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:12 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Gregor blows Tencer away. Gregor actually has a clue about sports, can actually interview, & has the nuts to ask tough questions.
I guess he does do the odd good interview ... when he's not talking about movies, sunglasses, marriage or his own ego. Can't stand that show.

Old
07-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
Sure he was a little over the top with his opinions at times but at least he had one.
I love stuff like this. "At least he had an opinion. Sure it was a stupid and idiotic opinion but at least he had one!"

Old
07-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I guess he does do the odd good interview ... when he's not talking about movies, sunglasses, marriage or his own ego. Can't stand that show.
If Tencer could ask a question without a 5 minute wind-up before he finally pitches it to the guests, it wouldn't be close.

Gregor is terrible to listen to.

Last edited by Tarus: 07-26-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old
07-27-2013, 12:20 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Some real polarized opinions in here. I like Gregor, Tencer is downright embarrassing if he's talking about anything besides football or hockey. His attitude towards and knowledge of basketball is beyond pathetic. I listen to him once in a while, and he can be ok sometimes, but other times I can't change the dial fast enough.

Gregor has to fill 4 hours everyday, and I like that he does it with a wide variety of guests on a wide variety of topics. Some of the stuff with Meg (well all of it) could go. Why'd they get rid of Allison Currie anyways, she was great? He can get a bit grating with his "my opinion is absolutely correct and you are wrong" shtick but I still like his show.

Strudwick is awesome, called in a couple times and he's a real nice guy, and puts on a great show.

Old
07-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
The name Mark Scholtz seems really familiar. Is he the dude who did the Big Breakfast show on A Channel? He was pretty comical if I recall correctly, but a lot of people had a beef with him. I was like 13 when A Channel went off the air so i don't have the best recollection of him.

Old
07-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
Some real polarized opinions in here. I like Gregor, Tencer is downright embarrassing if he's talking about anything besides football or hockey. His attitude towards and knowledge of basketball is beyond pathetic. I listen to him once in a while, and he can be ok sometimes, but other times I can't change the dial fast enough.

Gregor has to fill 4 hours everyday, and I like that he does it with a wide variety of guests on a wide variety of topics. Some of the stuff with Meg (well all of it) could go. Why'd they get rid of Allison Currie anyways, she was great? He can get a bit grating with his "my opinion is absolutely correct and you are wrong" shtick but I still like his show.

Strudwick is awesome, called in a couple times and he's a real nice guy, and puts on a great show.
Meg is pretty much poison to that show, not so much because of herself (she doesn't say that much from what I can tell), but because she brings out the absolute worst in Gregor. Any chance of him veering off into lame topics and saying the the stupidest things seem to multiply by a million when she's there. I listened to them for a while but it got so bad I couldn't take it anymore. Then I happened to catch a show when Allison was there and, by god, I actually started liking the show again and slowly began listening to it regularly. Then Meg came back and it was all over. I almost never listen to it now.

As for Tencer, I agree, except for the part when you said he doesn't know anything other than hockey and football. No, I would say he doesn't know anything about those sports either.

Last edited by Asher: 07-27-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Closed Thread