HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

13-14' Prospects Thread Version XVI: All Prospect Talk Here

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-23-2013, 03:53 PM
  #951
Duffman955
Registered User
 
Duffman955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
So far he's a Bust, played six weeks of NHL calibre hockey in three years, and was no were to be found against the Bruins. I'm waiting to see him play a 82 game schedule and what he can accomplish. Want to see if his summer has been spent getting in NHL shape. Until he shows me he was worthy of the 7th overall pick he gets no respect from me.
4 points in 7 games in the bruins series. He beat players like bergeron, marchand and seguin.

I guess they are all busts.

Duffman955 is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 12:47 PM
  #952
leafsfuture
Registered User
 
leafsfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Rielly can skate no doubt, his shot is at the Jr. B level, the fact that he got only one assist in nine games at the ahl level gives me cause for concern. A 5th overall pick that supposed to be able to light it up offensively should be able to light it up from the back end. I would expect him to be a two pt a night player in Junior and at least a pt a game in the AHL.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

This has got to take the cake of absurd statements

leafsfuture is offline  
Old
07-24-2013, 06:13 PM
  #953
Brody
Registered User
 
Brody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,452
vCash: 560
Where's Everson playing next season?

Brody is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 12:10 AM
  #954
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Where's Everson playing next season?
Harvardh should be where he goes.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 08:08 AM
  #955
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Im definitely very much alone in this, but I am of the believe Colborne has a big season. Couple reasons I will outline now.

1. He is going to get his first healthy off season in a couple years to add some more size finally to his frame. This is super important for this kid given his physical immaturity. Its a tough issue, Turris dealt with much of the same problems. Still does IMO.

2. He IMO, when playing the easier match ups, will get that third line wing spot next to Bolland. Carlyle likes McClement as a specialist and on that fourth line. Gives us 3 centres who can take faceoffs well. Colborne on the third line, will be sheltered defensively as he is worked into the NHL w/ Bolland and Kulemin.

3. It isnt tracked in the AHL, but Colborne improved dramatically in the dot this year in the faceoff. Mentioned by broadcasters and a blogger, wish I could recall who. I suspect he might get some draws over Bolland.

4. He brings a pretty unique element to our lineup, with his size/hands/playmaking. Whether people see it or not, he is probably our most skilled prospect behind Rielly. Talking sheer talent here.

5. Not nearly as slow as many people believe.

I suspect he is going to do real well on that third line, I might actually not be surprised if he gets the Kadri treatment and people wonder how RC keeps him out of the top 6 next year.

KlattNazty is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 08:26 AM
  #956
SarcazemKadri
Registered User
 
SarcazemKadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Im definitely very much alone in this, but I am of the believe Colborne has a big season. Couple reasons I will outline now.

1. He is going to get his first healthy off season in a couple years to add some more size finally to his frame. This is super important for this kid given his physical immaturity. Its a tough issue, Turris dealt with much of the same problems. Still does IMO.

2. He IMO, when playing the easier match ups, will get that third line wing spot next to Bolland. Carlyle likes McClement as a specialist and on that fourth line. Gives us 3 centres who can take faceoffs well. Colborne on the third line, will be sheltered defensively as he is worked into the NHL w/ Bolland and Kulemin.

3. It isnt tracked in the AHL, but Colborne improved dramatically in the dot this year in the faceoff. Mentioned by broadcasters and a blogger, wish I could recall who. I suspect he might get some draws over Bolland.

4. He brings a pretty unique element to our lineup, with his size/hands/playmaking. Whether people see it or not, he is probably our most skilled prospect behind Rielly. Talking sheer talent here.

5. Not nearly as slow as many people believe.

I suspect he is going to do real well on that third line, I might actually not be surprised if he gets the Kadri treatment and people wonder how RC keeps him out of the top 6 next year.
My worry with Colbourne is not his skill, nor his frame, but his ability to make plays at the NHL level. He just seems to be a step behind mentally when he hits the ice, almost a deer in the headlights.

SarcazemKadri is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 08:30 AM
  #957
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcazemKadri View Post
My worry with Colbourne is not his skill, nor his frame, but his ability to make plays at the NHL level. He just seems to be a step behind mentally when he hits the ice, almost a deer in the headlights.
Lots of prospects have that issue. Huge one was Frattin. Definition of deer in the headlights look when he got the puck in his first 40ish games.

KlattNazty is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 08:42 AM
  #958
SarcazemKadri
Registered User
 
SarcazemKadri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Lots of prospects have that issue. Huge one was Frattin. Definition of deer in the headlights look when he got the puck in his first 40ish games.
Agreed. Colbourne still looks a step behind in his hockey IQ when he plays with NHLers IMO. This truly is his shape up or ship out year.. need to see a step forward here not just stagnation.

SarcazemKadri is offline  
Old
07-25-2013, 08:43 AM
  #959
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Where's Everson playing next season?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Harvardh should be where he goes.
Believe the players with academic issues were forced to take a year off, but are able to come back. I'm not sure if it has been determined where Everson will play next year.

__________________
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/JE_Iannicello
John-Eric Iannicello is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 01:50 AM
  #960
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,952
vCash: 500
With Granberg, Blacker and Rielly developing into NHL talent....the Leafs D will be good this year but GREAT is on the way!


Last edited by Tyler Biggs: 07-26-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Tyler Biggs is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 07:24 AM
  #961
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,952
vCash: 500
Leaf fans should know better than to praise their prospects because Habs fans don't like it. According to Habs fans only their prospects are sure fire superstars and guaranteed hall of famers. I'm just wondering why the Habs haven't won the last 85 Stanley cups by default.

Tyler Biggs is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 08:13 AM
  #962
Stringer Bell
Registered User
 
Stringer Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadasTeam93 View Post
With Granberg, Blacker and Reilly developing into NHL talent....the Leafs D will be good this year but GREAT is on the way!
Wait, Blacker is developing into NHL talent?! LOL! Good one!

Stringer Bell is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 08:38 AM
  #963
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Wait, Blacker is developing into NHL talent?! LOL! Good one!
Im with you - ive soured on blacker big time, and I used to be a big fan.

KlattNazty is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 08:53 AM
  #964
Stringer Bell
Registered User
 
Stringer Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Im with you - ive soured on blacker big time, and I used to be a big fan.
Thank you. I used to be one of his biggest fans too. Watching him in a couple preseason games two years ago I had high hopes ---- but anyone who thinks his development has been an upward trend clearly hasn't been following him. I really shake my head when people keep dropping his name in NHL ready prospect discussions. It's so, so puzzling...

Stringer Bell is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 09:12 AM
  #965
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Thank you. I used to be one of his biggest fans too. Watching him in a couple preseason games two years ago I had high hopes ---- but anyone who thinks his development has been an upward trend clearly hasn't been following him. I really shake my head when people keep dropping his name in NHL ready prospect discussions. It's so, so puzzling...
I think its cuz he has flash. He has tools, and size, and speed, etc etc.

But good lord, unless he is one of those types that is better at the NHL level than AHL level, which I suppose is REMOTELY possible.... he makes terrible decisions. And its always the same ones. Bad pinch. Bad hit. Chases forwards.

KlattNazty is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 09:18 AM
  #966
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,931
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
I think its cuz he has flash. He has tools, and size, and speed, etc etc.

But good lord, unless he is one of those types that is better at the NHL level than AHL level, which I suppose is REMOTELY possible.... he makes terrible decisions. And its always the same ones. Bad pinch. Bad hit. Chases forwards.
I had big hopes for Blacker. He looked absolutely great in the rookie tournament camp and training camp (he got injured earlier on IIRC) the same year Gardiner made it...after that it has been all downhill.

I hope he can at least become a #5-#6D if not better. This year is going to be huge for him. I think Dallas really screwed up Blacker. He was a PMD and an offensive defenseman but he never really gave him that chance to show his skills and I am sure his confidence must have took a hit.

Pi is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 09:24 AM
  #967
KlattNazty
Registered User
 
KlattNazty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I had big hopes for Blacker. He looked absolutely great in the rookie tournament camp and training camp (he got injured earlier on IIRC) the same year Gardiner made it...after that it has been all downhill.

I hope he can at least become a #5-#6D if not better. This year is going to be huge for him. I think Dallas really screwed up Blacker. He was a PMD and an offensive defenseman but he never really gave him that chance to show his skills and I am sure his confidence must have took a hit.
But in all honesty, he never deserved it under Eakins.

He would make so many mistakes and put the marlies in such bad positions.

KlattNazty is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 09:30 AM
  #968
shaner89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Burlington, Ont
Posts: 14,320
vCash: 500
Blacker is the kind of guy who we can be patient with.

We have Reilly, Granberg, Percy, Finn close to ready.

Let blacker play and find his role in the AHL for a few years.

shaner89 is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 10:58 AM
  #969
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,107
vCash: 500
How is Finn ANYWHERE close to ready?

When has he NOT missed long stretches with injury? He has to show he can stay out of the infirmary, before people say things like that.

He's fragile.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 11:01 AM
  #970
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankuptheSnakes View Post
How is Finn ANYWHERE close to ready?

When has he NOT missed long stretches with injury? He has to show he can stay out of the infirmary, before people say things like that.

He's fragile.
Honestly I think he's just been unlucky. Can't blame him for mono, and that knee-on-knee was just vicious.

7even is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 11:04 AM
  #971
WTFMAN99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankuptheSnakes View Post
How is Finn ANYWHERE close to ready?

When has he NOT missed long stretches with injury? He has to show he can stay out of the infirmary, before people say things like that.

He's fragile.
Wolverine movie is done filming, maybe we can give Finn a metal skeleton to replace his weak mortal bones :p

WTFMAN99 is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 03:12 PM
  #972
kernel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankuptheSnakes View Post
How is Finn ANYWHERE close to ready?

When has he NOT missed long stretches with injury? He has to show he can stay out of the infirmary, before people say things like that.

He's fragile.
It honestly wasn't his fault man.. Mono can't really blame the guy

kernel is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 04:58 PM
  #973
bigdirty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadasTeam93 View Post
With Granberg, Blacker and Rielly developing into NHL talent....the Leafs D will be good this year but GREAT is on the way!
10 years ago it was Colaiacovo, White, Bell, Kronwall, etc.

In all fairness, Rielly is a far better prospect than any of them ever were, but as a whole, no team's prospects ever end up as good as people think.

I'm hopeful for our prospects, but every team has guys like Granberg and Blacker.

bigdirty is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 06:21 PM
  #974
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
Im definitely very much alone in this, but I am of the believe Colborne has a big season. Couple reasons I will outline now.

1. He is going to get his first healthy off season in a couple years to add some more size finally to his frame. This is super important for this kid given his physical immaturity. Its a tough issue, Turris dealt with much of the same problems. Still does IMO.

2. He IMO, when playing the easier match ups, will get that third line wing spot next to Bolland. Carlyle likes McClement as a specialist and on that fourth line. Gives us 3 centres who can take faceoffs well. Colborne on the third line, will be sheltered defensively as he is worked into the NHL w/ Bolland and Kulemin.

3. It isnt tracked in the AHL, but Colborne improved dramatically in the dot this year in the faceoff. Mentioned by broadcasters and a blogger, wish I could recall who. I suspect he might get some draws over Bolland.

4. He brings a pretty unique element to our lineup, with his size/hands/playmaking. Whether people see it or not, he is probably our most skilled prospect behind Rielly. Talking sheer talent here.

5. Not nearly as slow as many people believe.

I suspect he is going to do real well on that third line, I might actually not be surprised if he gets the Kadri treatment and people wonder how RC keeps him out of the top 6 next year.


I think RC really liked his play in the 2 games in the post season. People will look at stats and say he hasn't shown enough at the AHL level. When he is healthy. he is a dominant player. He played more than maclement. He used colborne in the offensive zone quite a few times. I think this kid has a good season next year who will also take faceoffs from time to time. I agree it's good to start him on the 3rd line. Move him up once he proves himself like kadri did. I am a fan of his and he has developed slow however you can blame it on the injury. He couldn't shoot properly and he played hurt for a while. Playing hurt shows the character he has. Can't wait to see him in camp.

However one thing I disagree with is ur assessment of blacker. He was called up twice in the season which suggests to me that management believes he is close or NHL ready. he improved a lot this season and played heavy minutes. His offense hasn't really took of yet but I think in time it will come. A dark horse to make the team IMO.

mikebel111 is offline  
Old
07-26-2013, 06:24 PM
  #975
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernel View Post
It honestly wasn't his fault man.. Mono can't really blame the guy



Blame it on his girlfriend. he needs to break up with her

in all seriousness though, Mono was really unlucky at a time where he was playing great. Played I believe like 30 mins a game. Than that dirty knee on knee hit by that other player. If he stays injury free, this kid will be an important part of this blue line in a couple years.

mikebel111 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.