HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Franson Trade Talk "Will Heat Up"

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Ricky Bobby

vCash: 500
Leafs can trade Franson and the impact to the team won't be nearly as big as some fans think.

Franson isn't good at killing penalties and rarely did under 3 coaches.

Franson best value lies in his PP ability where he has one of the best PP shots because of how quick he gets it off but we also have this guy named Liles whose biggest strength is his PP ability. Last season Franson was on the 1st unit which helped his stats, the season before it was Liles yet the PP operated at an almost identical rate both seasons. Gardiner also will be with the big club and Ranger played on the PP in Tampa. Rielly should also be with the club after next season.

5 on 5 he played sheltered minutes. People say he got better as the season went on which I'd agree with. But will he continue to get better? Even at his best I still had no faith in him to get the puck out of our zone.

Trading Franson would be finally trading from a position of strength and potentially with his value at a high point. Trading him now would be similar to how Nashville traded him because Weber, Suter were top PP options with Josi, Ellis, Blum needing minutes.

Old
07-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
As a Sens fan, I love this.

I called the Clarkson contract would hurt the Leafs in the long run, but even I didn't think it would come so soon. Franson is going to be a stud.

Old
07-26-2013, 05:30 PM
kernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post

I called the Clarkson contract would hurt the Leafs in the long run, but even I didn't think it would come so soon. Franson is going to be a stud.
Wow Ill remember this post when he's resigned and called overpaid hack

Old
07-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernel View Post
Wow Ill remember this post when he's resigned and called overpaid hack
DD has been off the mark a lot.

Do Sens fans even know what capped out is?
I don't mean internally.

Old
07-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
DD has been off the mark a lot.

Do Sens fans even know what capped out is?
I don't mean internally.
We were a cap team at one point, yes.

And I know Toronto loves to spend money, but not being able to sign young offensive defensemen who have shown a ton of potential because you've spent too much is not a good thing. Hockey 101 baby.

Old
07-26-2013, 05:52 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:

Clarkson's contract won't make a difference in what Nonis&Co think Franson is worth.

It's an issue of "I'm worth this" vs "No - you're worth this"

Old
07-26-2013, 05:57 PM
threeGo

Quote:

And I know Toronto loves to spend money, but not being able to sign young offensive defensemen who have shown a ton of potential because you've spent too much is not a good thing. Hockey 101 baby.
We have 6.17 million to sign Franson and Kadri. If you think that is not enough money then I don't know what to say to you. Obviously one or both of these players are trying to get as much as they can (which creates the impression that we can't afford them) and in reality kadri shouldn't getm ore than 3million on a 1-2 year deal and franson should not go over 3 million. We have enough money to sign them to fair contracts.

I don't think anyone here would think franson deserves 4m+ at this point in time. If we had the cap space to sign him for that, everyone here would start saying it's such a bad contract. I'm happy we have just enough to sign them both to reasonable contracts as it prevents any further overpayments this offseason.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:06 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
We have 6.17 million to sign Franson and Kadri. If you think that is not enough money then I don't know what to say to you. Obviously one or both of these players are trying to get as much as they can (which creates the impression that we can't afford them) and in reality kadri shouldn't getm ore than 3million on a 1-2 year deal and franson should not go over 3 million. We have enough money to sign them to fair contracts.

I don't think anyone here would think franson deserves 4m+ at this point in time. If we had the cap space to sign him for that, everyone here would start saying it's such a bad contract. I'm happy we have just enough to sign them both to reasonable contracts as it prevents any further overpayments this offseason.
I think Leafs need to account for Fraser as well do they not? He won't get over 3.5 in arbitration, so leafs will have to honor that decision. Leafs have 6.17 in cap room, but only 20 players.
I can see possibly only carrying 22, but rarely do teams go below that during the season.

It will definitely take some creative juggling even if Kadri and Franson get 3M each.

"There's a point, far out there when the structures fail you, and the rules aren't weapons anymore, they're... shackles letting the bad guy get ahead. One day... you may face such a moment of crisis." - Jim Gordon
Old
07-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:

Do you even have a clue what you are talking about? If you think signing Clarkson has anything to do with Franson's contract...well maybe you need to take the Hockey 101 course again as you obviously failed the first time

Old
07-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:

yeah because Nonis and Co were totally blindsided by that number given to Clarkson, even though he took less to come to TO, and even though he was rated a the top free agent in this years crop, and I am sure they had no plan, and no estimates as to the numbers needed to retain their other players (RFA's), this situation has totally thrown the Leafs for a loop. BRUTAL ASSESSMENT!!!!

We have no insight, and it is obvious by repeated comments such as these, Nonis has a plan, and I wouldn't doubt he is playing a bit of Hardball with two high potential players, but with limited sample size. Seems like they are trying to be fiscally responsible in how they handle their RFA's to me, so that it sets up their next contract well.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Kulemin. Quite easily.
The biggest forward on the team and we already lack size up front. One of the most defensively responsible forwards on the team and our biggest problem last season was keeping pucks out of the net not scoring.
One of the fastest forwards on the team and we already lost alot of speed up front this of season.

Due to age, potential and the fact that Kulie is an impending UFA Franson has more trade value but right now Kulie is the better and more important player. Our prospect pool is also alot deeper at D than it is for large forwards.

Some people will never understand that keeping the puck out of our own net is just as important as scoring. I absolutely love Franson but Kulie is extremely underrated by our own fanbase.
Good Insight, thanks. Now lets hope we can resign him long term.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
I think Leafs need to account for Fraser as well do they not? He won't get over 3.5 in arbitration, so leafs will have to honor that decision. Leafs have 6.17 in cap room, but only 20 players.
I can see possibly only carrying 22, but rarely do teams go below that during the season.

It will definitely take some creative juggling even if Kadri and Franson get 3M each.
Fraser won't get more than a million and most likely it will be 2 way contract

Kadri 2 years - 2.5
Franson - 1 year 3 million
Fraser - 1 year 900k

Old
07-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
He'll most likely get a 2 year bridge deal under 3 mil per year.
This. This is assessment is bang on in my opinion, and with that bridge deal it should allow Franson to sign also.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:16 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:

Leafs can make room if they can sign Franson to a reasonable contract

This has nothing to do with Clarkson

Old
07-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:

If Fraser's arb award is at all reasonable and he doesn't fit in our plans we can always trade him or even waivers if we had to.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:

Sure.

The cap won't go up or anything.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:

Even at $3M each, that puts Toronto in a very, very tight cap situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Do you even have a clue what you are talking about? If you think signing Clarkson has anything to do with Franson's contract...well maybe you need to take the Hockey 101 course again as you obviously failed the first time
Not signing Clarkson = more cap space to retain young, valuable assets.

Thought it was pretty straight forward. Hockey 101 for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock38 View Post
yeah because Nonis and Co were totally blindsided by that number given to Clarkson, even though he took less to come to TO, and even though he was rated a the top free agent in this years crop, and I am sure they had no plan, and no estimates as to the numbers needed to retain their other players (RFA's), this situation has totally thrown the Leafs for a loop. BRUTAL ASSESSMENT!!!!
No matter what way you slice it, $5.25M/year for seven years is definite overpayment. The fact that he was the top free agent this year is not only debatable, but speaks volumes to how weak the free agent class was (before all the amnesty buyouts).

Important to note - Clarkson has never even scored 50 points at the NHL level. He can't play on the penalty kill. He can hit and fight, but is that really worth $5.25 plus such a long term?

Old
07-26-2013, 06:23 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Only for this year really though. They lose 2.5 in buyouts/retained salary plus whatever the cap goes up to next year.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:24 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Fraser won't get more than a million and most likely it will be 2 way contract

Kadri 2 years - 2.5
Franson - 1 year 3 million
Fraser - 1 year 900k
even those #s put leafs over cap accounting for Gardiner's 300k bonus.

Like I said even with a 22 man roster i will be interested to watch the juggling. Watching how pro teams can manipulate around salary caps is kind of entertaining.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:26 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Only for this year really though. They lose 2.5 in buyouts/retained salary plus whatever the cap goes up to next year.
but they still need to be compliant this year. that will be tricky for them.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
They have a lot of cap space for next year, but only 10 roster plays signed.

This year if Kadri/Franson get $6M, it's very tight for injuries and callups.

Old
07-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:

Not signing Clarkson = more cap space to retain young, valuable assets.

Thought it was pretty straight forward. Hockey 101 for sure

No matter what way you slice it, $5.25M/year for seven years is definite overpayment. The fact that he was the top free agent this year is not only debatable, but speaks volumes to how weak the free agent class was (before all the amnesty buyouts).

Important to note - Clarkson has never even scored 50 points at the NHL level. He can't play on the penalty kill. He can hit and fight, but is that really worth $5.25 plus such a long term?

Free Agency is Free Agency, you will always have to overpay, especially when you have to outbid numerous teams, there were numerous fanbases that before FA discussed Clarkson as being a great candidate for their team, the Leafs bid what it took to get him, and he left money on the table, nothing wrong with a player being rewarded for the intangibles he brings plus his skillset, his contract has nothing to do with Franson, this was a player that the Leafs targeted and they got him, and now we will see how it plays out, season hasn't even started yet.....he should be criticized and praised for what he does or doesn't do in a Leafs uniform. Wait for the Season, than talk *****.

Last edited by Blaylock38: 07-26-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: missed a word.
Old
07-26-2013, 06:29 PM
TieClark

Quote:
They have a lot of cap space for next year, but only 10 roster plays signed.

This year if Kadri/Franson get $6M, it's very tight for injuries and callups.
How does the IR work for the cap?

Quote:
Yeah that's the whole thing with Franson right now and Fraser to a lesser extent. If Franson and Kadri are both at 3 though they should be fine

Old
07-26-2013, 06:36 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
We have 6.17 million to sign Franson and Kadri. If you think that is not enough money then I don't know what to say to you. (...)
Minus whatever Fraser will get in arbitration...

Old
07-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Tricky for alot of cap teams. Leafs will be close, but far from "screwed".

Closed Thread