HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Workout Thread Part II - I do 3 sets of nutrition

Old
07-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

vCash: 500
Do any of you do any competitive running? Doing a very hilly 5k race in 2 months and a Spartan Race in early fall. http://www.spartanrace.com/index.html

Anyone have any experience with obstacle course runs?

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:01 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Do any of you do any competitive running? Doing a very hilly 5k race in 2 months and a Spartan Race in early fall. http://www.spartanrace.com/index.html

Nope, what is a great pair of running shoes? I hear shoes depend on if your feet are flat or arched.

As for my latest update on my weight loss journey....

209 with a 38 inch waist. 1 week left of Insanity. Have not been going as hard as I used to though but eating is still clean for the most part.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Jeremyisgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Nope, what is a great pair of running shoes? I hear shoes depend on if your feet are flat or arched.

209 with a 38 inch waist. 1 week left of Insanity. Have not been going as hard as I used to though but eating is still clean for the most part.
I always forget about this thread. GJ, man. Keep it up. What was your max weight again?

Jeremyisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 04:31 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyisgood View Post
I always forget about this thread. GJ, man. Keep it up. What was your max weight again?
Starting weight 253, I'm aiming for a skinny ripped with big arms look overall, not a zyzz look. Skinny because I been fat since grade 4 so I'm less motivated to look huge now.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:

Yeah, running shoes are incredibly specialized anymore depending on arch of the foot and how your foot contacts the ground in stride. I guess you just have to do some research online and shop around trying on different brands. I ordered these http://www.stack.com/video/223798564...-Reebok-ATV19/ for the Spartan race because of the terrain although I do have a different pair just for pavement.

Old
07-27-2013, 10:53 PM
NMK11

I have some experience with running (four marathons, multiple obstacle course runs) and shoes are simple: wear what feels comfortable. All of this technology is just marketing. Best advice I can give is go to an actual running store (ie not Dick's) and try on a few pairs of shoes and run on them on a treadmill, most of these stores have there own. And specifically for obstacle course races, buy a second pair that's similar but cheaper for the race. You can really tear those shoes up in those races. Save the good pair for the heavy miles on roads and treadmills, break in the bad pair and then use them for the trail races.

NMK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMK11 View Post
I have some experience with running (four marathons, multiple obstacle course runs) and shoes are simple: wear what feels comfortable. All of this technology is just marketing. Best advice I can give is go to an actual running store (ie not Dick's) and try on a few pairs of shoes and run on them on a treadmill, most of these stores have there own. And specifically for obstacle course races, buy a second pair that's similar but cheaper for the race. You can really tear those shoes up in those races. Save the good pair for the heavy miles on roads and treadmills, break in the bad pair and then use them for the trail races.
Nice! What in your opinion is the toughest obstacle course run? I know there are several out there.

Old
07-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMK11 View Post
Yeah my brother used to run marathons all the time and he'd go through shoes like crazy.

I added some dips to my workout routine, really pushed out those last reps. My shoulders/chest feel all torn apart, feels great!

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Jeremyisgood

Quote:
Starting weight 253, I'm aiming for a skinny ripped with big arms look overall, not a zyzz look. Skinny because I been fat since grade 4 so I'm less motivated to look huge now.
Hahaha. Can't say I ever thought I'd see that name on this board. Great progress.

Jeremyisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:27 AM
cassius

Quote:

Used to run a bunch back in the day, but running regularly turned out to kill my weight gaining goals. So I only do it maybe 1x a week anymore... simply because it causes me to lose too much weight/muscle. Having said that, I can still crank out a 23 minute 5K without too much trouble. Dat runners build

Also, I recently made the switch to New Balance Minimus shoes and I haven't looked back. I used to rock shoes with a ton of padding (Asics Kayano / Nike Lunarglide) and I definitely didn't realize how bad they were messing up my hips/knees. I feel so much better with a more minimal shoe.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Used to run a bunch back in the day, but running regularly turned out to kill my weight gaining goals. So I only do it maybe 1x a week anymore... simply because it causes me to lose too much weight/muscle. Having said that, I can still crank out a 23 minute 5K without too much trouble. Dat runners build

Also, I recently made the switch to New Balance Minimus shoes and I haven't looked back. I used to rock shoes with a ton of padding (Asics Kayano / Nike Lunarglide) and I definitely didn't realize how bad they were messing up my hips/knees. I feel so much better with a more minimal shoe.
A 23 minute 5k is pretty good. I might be limited as to what I can wear comfortably due to over-pronating my feet when I stride. I've had quite a rough time finding the comfort zone in skates; aftermarket foot beds have helped though.

Old
07-28-2013, 10:18 PM
NMK11

Quote:
Nice! What in your opinion is the toughest obstacle course run? I know there are several out there.
The toughest one was the tough mudder. It was the longest (9-11 miles I think), but the worst part about it was on mile 2. They made you wade through and submerge yourself in a pool that they were dumping ice into. Would have felt great if it was 85+, but the temp was 40 when we started. I felt like I went into shock when I got my head wet. If you're in good shape, that's a fun, challenging race. If you're not big on aerobics, stick to the 5k ones.

And I know the idea is to get big with a lot of these workouts, but don't forget your cardio. If it's not running, replace it with something else. As someone with a medical background and a good bit of exercise history, it's not all that safe to build these huge muscles without working out the most important one, the heart. Think you look bigger right after a workout? That's because you are, you increase blood flow to the muscles, and muscles love blood. Double your muscle mass, double the amount of blood flow through them.

NMK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:23 AM
ZapRowsdower13
Ticklish Tummy Tumx2

Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
Quote:

Enjoy! Shoes, its what you feel best in. I suggest listening to the poster who said get some shoes to train in that are nice but a pair you can wreck in the 5K and Spartan Race. The shoes for the 5k should be fine for the Spartan. You might be able to keep them beyond that if you clean up well.

I've done Mudder, Ruckus, Run for Your Lives and some other stuff. Mudder was one of the best/worst things I've ever done. Seems the other poster had the same kinda experience I did. It was last April, 2012, in Ohio (was considered Michigans Mudder but they couldnt get any where in Mich.) and it was like 40-45 degrees with a light rain pretty much all day. So any water obstacle was awful.

I still enjoyed it though, just finishing was a pretty good feeling. If you do it with someone else it's even easier to do. Being in good shape helps but I saw some sloopy people there and they made it through. Its just not quiting and the fact that everyones there to help. As Jackie Moon said 'ELE....Everybody Love Everybody'. You get little breathers at certain obstacles bc you're waiting in line for your turn so keep that in mind. Doing the Pittsburgh Mudder on August 24th so interested to see how hot it'll be for it.

Good luck on your Spartan Run.

ZapRowsdower13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapRowsdower13 View Post
Enjoy! Shoes, its what you feel best in. I suggest listening to the poster who said get some shoes to train in that are nice but a pair you can wreck in the 5K and Spartan Race. The shoes for the 5k should be fine for the Spartan. You might be able to keep them beyond that if you clean up well.

I've done Mudder, Ruckus, Run for Your Lives and some other stuff. Mudder was one of the best/worst things I've ever done. Seems the other poster had the same kinda experience I did. It was last April, 2012, in Ohio (was considered Michigans Mudder but they couldnt get any where in Mich.) and it was like 40-45 degrees with a light rain pretty much all day. So any water obstacle was awful.

I still enjoyed it though, just finishing was a pretty good feeling. If you do it with someone else it's even easier to do. Being in good shape helps but I saw some sloopy people there and they made it through. Its just not quiting and the fact that everyones there to help. As Jackie Moon said 'ELE....Everybody Love Everybody'. You get little breathers at certain obstacles bc you're waiting in line for your turn so keep that in mind. Doing the Pittsburgh Mudder on August 24th so interested to see how hot it'll be for it.

Good luck on your Spartan Run.
I'm really looking forward to it. The only thing I'm feeling somewhat apprehensive about is the rope climb since I have very little experience with that although I've heard use your legs more than your upper body. Thanks for the advice! Good luck to you on the Mudder; let us know how you did.

Old
07-31-2013, 09:42 AM
UnrealMachine

Finished off my best month ever of MTB with an additional evening road ride with my gf. Between the MTB and road ride yesterday I did over 2,250 ft of climbing and burned 1600+ calories (GPS + HRM). Sadly, today is (supposed to be) heavy leg day at the gym.

Last edited by UnrealMachine: 07-31-2013 at 09:52 AM.
UnrealMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Til the End of Time

so after going to the same gym for like 6 years i discovered on the fourth floor with some pretty sweet stuff.

it has a battle rope (a relatively thin one though), some kettlebells, and like monkey bars that alternate high-low.

has anyone worked out with any of this stuff frequently?

it seems sweet but im not sure how gimmicky/novel the stuff is vs. actually functionally useful.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 10:00 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Is anyone here good at jumping rope? I'm terrible at it and need some advice. It seems like every time I jump I end up jumping backwards a bit and before I know it I'm stepping on the rope.

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 10:27 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
so after going to the same gym for like 6 years i discovered on the fourth floor with some pretty sweet stuff.

it has a battle rope (a relatively thin one though), some kettlebells, and like monkey bars that alternate high-low.

has anyone worked out with any of this stuff frequently?

it seems sweet but im not sure how gimmicky/novel the stuff is vs. actually functionally useful.
Battling ropes are no joke. Excellent for upper body cardio and shoulder mobility. That's unfortunate if your rope is too thin though.

Kettlebells, honestly, I don't find them to be that useful outside of KB swings (which is an awesome exercise). Even so, I need a very heavy one to get much use out of it. As far as KB snatch and clean/press, I would much rather use a barbell. There is no way to duplicate the explosive power or a BB snatch/clean/press with a KB. Not even in the same galaxy.

UnrealMachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:21 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I did a new workout this morning with my trainer before work and it murdered me. I almost laughed at him when we started and next thing I knew I was hunched over about to throw up.

We used a single 35lb plate and combined it with a sled that had (2) 45 plates and the 35 plate, too. Here is the basis of the workout.

Grab the 35lb plate and do the following
- 15 curls
- 15 standing chest presses
- 15 shoulder presses
- 15 behind your head triceps
- 15 bent over row
- 15 hip tosses

Go to the end of the rope and pull the sled to you, push it back (about 30 yards) to the starting point. Quick suicide (15 yards back, 30 yards back).

Restart the process for 4 sets. My body almost shut down and I went down to a 25lb plate to get the entire workout in.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2013, 11:56 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Battling ropes are no joke. Excellent for upper body cardio and shoulder mobility. That's unfortunate if your rope is too thin though.

Kettlebells, honestly, I don't find them to be that useful outside of KB swings (which is an awesome exercise). Even so, I need a very heavy one to get much use out of it. As far as KB snatch and clean/press, I would much rather use a barbell. There is no way to duplicate the explosive power or a BB snatch/clean/press with a KB. Not even in the same galaxy.
qft

Damn I wish my gym had a battle rope. Would be such a l337 way to warm-up / "cool-down" from an upper body lifting day.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Miss Ausguins
The Aussie Penguin

Just bought myself this baby (my off-season fitness training challenge)

Oh and my favorite place to buy working out attire

www.lornajane.com.au

Miss Ausguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:35 PM
66-29-33

Last day of Insanity, down 45 pounds (208) now. Lost 1 pound but my weight keeps fluctuating.

Old
08-03-2013, 12:37 PM
invictus

I'm moving cross country in four weeks for a new job. I'd like to look prettier when I arrive. What should I do to lose 10-15 pounds in that time frame, team?

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Jacob

eat less and exercise more

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:45 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
eat less and exercise more
Genius!

I'm thinking I'll just start running again. Fun stuff.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote