HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jets re-sign Blake Wheeler (6 years/33.6 M - 5.6 M cap hit)

Old
07-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 713
what did Boston get for him?

Kobe Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:12 PM
School of WristShot

vCash: 500
Fair deal. GJ Jets!

School of WristShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:14 PM
GreatSaveJesus

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Armstrong View Post
what did Boston get for him?
Im curious about that too.

GreatSaveJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

WOW...a lot of coin.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:15 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Solid signing. Not sure why people are complaining at this, he's putting up good numbers and just heading into his peak years. Mark my words, next summer this signing will be looked upon as a steal.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Habiton

My initial reaction was whoa, then I thought about the just plain dumb contracts that were handed out this year and instantly changed my mind.

Great signing Jets, now get Bogo locked down

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 50
Wheeler is good, but I'm not sure he is 5.6 million good. But the term is there so it isn't a terrible contract like some people are posting. Just a tad high.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
Im curious about that too.
Peverly and Valabik. And they gave up Mark Stuart...

Ouchie

Old
07-26-2013, 10:18 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
I wasn't joking, no.

Collectively, fans have lost 1.5 years of hockey since 2004, and you don't have a problem with guys like Blake Wheeler getting paid 5.6 million per season?
guys like Blake Wheeler? ABOVE average first-line wingers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
Why do people compare UFA and RFA deals? They aren't even close to the same.

Anyways, overpaid in money, but made up for it in term. Decent deal.
He was one year from UFA: you can't compare because there wasn't the "free agent frenzy" that yields so many horrible contracts but from the perspective of the team you can absolutely compare; They bought as many UFA years as the Clarkson deal and got a much better player for much cheaper.

I agree though, decent deal - not a steal by any means, but fair for both sides.

I'll echo the earlier sentiment that I fully expected him to put up 70+ points next year.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:19 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesaurus View Post
Yeah, you don't give that type of money to a guy like Wheeler. Better suited for Clowe or Clarkson.
Classic, classic line

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JonathanToews19clutc*

Max Pacioretty : 6 years/27 M - 4.5 M cap hit.

Blake Wheeler : 6 years/33.6 M - 5.6 M cap hit.

Wheeler is better than Pacioretty? Seriously.. no.

JonathanToews19clutc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Primetimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
guys like Blake Wheeler? ABOVE average first-line wingers?
He has hit over 60 points once, I don't think he is an above average first-line winger. He is a good first line winger.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:20 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Love the comment about Wheeler being a top 15 scoring RW in the league during a shortened 2012/2013 campaign! "I led the Majors in 9th inning doubles during the Month of August!".
First of all, the shortened season factor sure hasn't kept Leafs fans from proclaiming how incredibly great their players are.

Secondly, as originally stated, he has been in the top-15 the past TWO years.

Want to try again?

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:21 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

seems high to me.

07-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Le Golie

Quote:

Love the comment about Wheeler being a top 15 scoring RW in the league during a shortened 2012/2013 campaign! "I led the Majors in 9th inning doubles during the Month of August!".
It seems you consider yourself quite clever, but Wheeler was 15th in RW scoring during a full 2011-12 season and 9th in RW scoring last year.

At the very least, it's very strong evidence that Wheeler is an above average top line right winger.

Clearly you don't know much about this player or the league's economic climate.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:23 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I wasn't joking, no.

Collectively, fans have lost 1.5 years of hockey since 2004, and you don't have a problem with guys like Blake Wheeler getting paid 5.6 million per season?
Really. After the Clarkson deal we're gonna call out a 26 year old 0.8ppg player who is 6'5" 205 and skates like the wind.

I sort of understand what you mean in terms on non elite NHLers making over $5m annually but that is the market place.

You honestly can't ***** about this one though. He's 26, still getting better and is a very tough cover wit his size and reach.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:23 PM
dkollidas

I'm just waiting to see what guys like Vanek, Kessel, Marleau, Thorton, etc. are going to get next season after deals like this, especially when the cap goes up as most assume it will. This is gonna get crazy. I know fellow Sabres fans are hoping that if the Sabres can re-sign Vanek it'd be for around $6.5M/yr. Not after this deal. Kessel and Vanek will each get at least $7.0M-$7.5M. Let alone a center like Thorton, even at an advancing age.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:24 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
He has hit over 60 points once, I don't think he is an above average first-line winger. He is a good first line winger.
Two seasons in a row in the top-15 for RW scoring. If you want to pretend the shortened season doesn't count, then the Hawks didn't win the cup, Kadri is still a bust and Ovechkin is an overweight drunk

Like I said, I fully expect 70+ points next year. At that point I don't care what he has or hasn't done in anyones eyes, I'm confident in what he will do. We'll see.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Drennan57*
New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
I'm just waiting to see what guys like Vanek, Kessel, Marleau, Thorton, etc. are going to get next season after deals like this, especially when the cap goes up as most assume it will. This is gonna get crazy. I know fellow Sabres fans are hoping that if the Sabres can re-sign Vanek it'd be for around $6.5M/yr. Not after this deal. Kessel and Vanek will each get at least $7.0M-$7.5M. Let alone a center like Thorton, even at an advancing age.
Top players always get paid good money regardless it's the average and secondary players that are demanding these ridiculous deals. Makes it hard to get good value out of them in the future.

Lockout countdown.

Drennan57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:27 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Did you actually think those guys would sign for around $5.6M? Established elite players are a different matter entirely - $7M+ is never out of the question for those guys, regardless of what Wheeler signed for. Kessel was never going to re-sign for what he currently makes because he's far more established now.

Last edited by Kane One: 07-27-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old
07-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Primetimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Two seasons in a row in the top-15 for RW scoring. If you want to pretend the shortened season doesn't count, then the Hawks didn't win the cup, Kadri is still a bust and Ovechkin is an overweight drunk

Like I said, I fully expect 70+ points next year. At that point I don't care what he has or hasn't done in anyones eyes, I'm confident in what he will do. We'll see.
If we only rate players by points then we can come to such conclusions, all I am saying is he is an average first line right wing. I'm not saying he is bad, I am saying the opposite. He is a good first line right wing. I just don't see him above average, compared to other first line right wingers around the league.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
If we only rate players by points then we can come to such conclusions, all I am saying is he is an average first line right wing. I'm not saying he is bad, I am saying the opposite. He is a good first line right wing. I just don't see him above average, compared to other first line right wingers around the league.
Which frankly is nothing to snoff at. Compared to the contracts handed out (which determines his market value) this was a very fair deal for both sides.

Old
07-26-2013, 10:30 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Has improved a lot, needs to keep improving at least a little bit for this to be a good contract. But it seems Winnipeg fans are very happy and that is really all that matters they see him every night and are probably the most accurate crowd to go by.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:43 PM
thinkinfeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
It seems you consider yourself quite clever, but Wheeler was 15th in RW scoring during a full 2011-12 season and 9th in RW scoring last year.

At the very least, it's very strong evidence that Wheeler is an above average top line right winger.

Clearly you don't know much about this player or the league's economic climate.
I can be very clever, especially when I manage to keep from stating absolutes. My original comment was that this signing was a "Little North of reasonable", I'm not sure why this solicited such an aggressive response from so many.

Am I an expert on all things Blake Wheeler? No, but I'm aware of him. I find it can be a very easy exercise researching a single stat to support any argument, which is why I posted the quote from Mr. Baseball.

I am also willing to admit that studying the "league's economic climate" isn't entirely necessary when discussing the terms of recent NHL contracts. Let me tell you what I know so that you can correct my ignorance in your follow-up :

After years of fiscal mismanagement the Leagues owners decide to lockout the players not once, but twice in the last 10 years in an effort to curb financial freewheeling and bloated contracts. After a lengthy dispute with the Players Union in 2004, the league is successful in their bid to implement a new spending structure. It didn't take very long after the lockout for these same executives to identify loop-holes in the same legislation they enacted so that the spending could continue! Fast forward 8 years and we lose another 1/2 season so that ownership can get it right this time. Here we are less than a year later and guys like Blake Wheeler (yep, said it again) are being signed to contracts that should be reserved for players flirting with the term 'elite'.

That's my take on the League's economic climate.

thinkinfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:48 PM
kamosko
btz's best friend

Dude really gets slept on, I thought he was like 29-30 years old lol

Nice deal, could look great a few years in especially with how much higher caphits are in the new cba

kamosko is offline   Reply With Quote