HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2013, 05:13 PM
  #601
Superstar Treatment
Registered User
 
Superstar Treatment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 732 Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
So how does this compare with the Bauer Nexus 1000? Is the Nexus the premier stick?
Really depends what you're looking for. The Nexus is a mid-flex stick that'll kill it on slapshots/one timers. Mako is a little more whippy, a little more of a wrist/snap shot stick.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 05:39 PM
  #602
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
Really depends what you're looking for. The Nexus is a mid-flex stick that'll kill it on slapshots/one timers. Mako is a little more whippy, a little more of a wrist/snap shot stick.
Well, I'm a forward and I normally take wristers and snappers. I was just wondering how the stick itself lives up to the hype.

__________________
Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:01 PM
  #603
Superstar Treatment
Registered User
 
Superstar Treatment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 732 Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Well, I'm a forward and I normally take wristers and snappers. I was just wondering how the stick itself lives up to the hype.
My experience with the modern easton sticks is there's no die down period, they go from amazing to noticeably crappy, unlike other sticks that gradually curve downward. But, before they die down, they have more pop than pretty much every stick on the market.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:23 PM
  #604
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
My experience with the modern easton sticks is there's no die down period, they go from amazing to noticeably crappy, unlike other sticks that gradually curve downward. But, before they die down, they have more pop than pretty much every stick on the market.
Would you recommend this over the Nexus? If so, which stick in particular?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:27 PM
  #605
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,656
vCash: 500
Depends on what kind of kick point you like. The Nexus will be a little whippier feeling than the Supreme which will be a little whippier than the Vapor.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:03 PM
  #606
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Depends on what kind of kick point you like. The Nexus will be a little whippier feeling than the Supreme which will be a little whippier than the Vapor.
It seems like most of these questions are just opinion-based answers.

I mean, I have a "meh" stick in the Easton Synergy ST 2011. But now that I actually have money, I don't mind dropping money on a higher-end stick.

I don't know that much about kickpoints and such. I normally take snap and wrist shots, so that whippiness would help, I assume.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:26 PM
  #607
Superstar Treatment
Registered User
 
Superstar Treatment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 732 Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I'd check out the APX and RSII if I were you. The flex will be in the lower third of the stick and it'll concentrate everything on snapping off wristers and snap shots. It'll play stiffer than a stick like the total one.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:00 PM
  #608
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
I'd check out the APX and RSII if I were you. The flex will be in the lower third of the stick and it'll concentrate everything on snapping off wristers and snap shots. It'll play stiffer than a stick like the total one.
I've read that the RS II wears very quickly. Do you have a recommendation between the two?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 08:39 PM
  #609
Superstar Treatment
Registered User
 
Superstar Treatment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 732 Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I've only shot with one, I haven't used an RS for an extended period of time. They do seem to fail at the blade a lot. I personally love Bauer sticks so that's where my personal recommendation would be.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 10:04 PM
  #610
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
I've only shot with one, I haven't used an RS for an extended period of time. They do seem to fail at the blade a lot. I personally love Bauer sticks so that's where my personal recommendation would be.
Thanks a lot for your help and anyone else who provided advice.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:34 AM
  #611
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,656
vCash: 500
Moved to a different thread.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:35 AM
  #612
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
It seems like most of these questions are just opinion-based answers.

I mean, I have a "meh" stick in the Easton Synergy ST 2011. But now that I actually have money, I don't mind dropping money on a higher-end stick.

I don't know that much about kickpoints and such. I normally take snap and wrist shots, so that whippiness would help, I assume.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Check out the APX. I'm a wrist and snap shot guy and I loved it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 11:56 AM
  #613
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Check out the APX. I'm a wrist and snap shot guy and I loved it.
Thanks and thanks. I inadvertently made the thread off topic. Sorry.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 07:54 PM
  #614
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Check out the APX. I'm a wrist and snap shot guy and I loved it.
Update: ended up getting the APX. The guy at pure hockey said you can't go wrong with any of the big three, but he thinks the APX is the best on the market.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:15 AM
  #615
TLow97
Registered User
 
TLow97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Twin Cities MN
Country: United States
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
Does anyone here use the Easton Getzlaff (E5)/Warrior Lidstrom blade? Is it me, or are these sticks ridiculously hard to find online and in stores?

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:24 AM
  #616
LarryO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
Does anyone here use the Easton Getzlaff (E5)/Warrior Lidstrom blade? Is it me, or are these sticks ridiculously hard to find online and in stores?
BASE Hockey BC05 pattern.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 08:43 AM
  #617
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Update: ended up getting the APX. The guy at pure hockey said you can't go wrong with any of the big three, but he thinks the APX is the best on the market.
I think you'll like it. The X:60 was the best stick I ever used, except the blade had crappy feel. The APX is the same thing with a better blade. Dual kick points help make all kinds of shots. Great durability too.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 09:00 AM
  #618
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
Does anyone here use the Easton Getzlaff (E5)/Warrior Lidstrom blade? Is it me, or are these sticks ridiculously hard to find online and in stores?
Not just you, they're simply not popular so stores won't tend to carry it.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2013, 10:38 PM
  #619
ConoR187
Registered User
 
ConoR187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
so i want a stick with the backstrom curve, but a lie 5.. i noticed that the bauer sticks that offer this are the $200+ models, which i dont want to shell out, and the mid end sticks only have lie 6... are they any solutions to my problem? ive used my dolomite dragon draper stick for almost a year now, but i need a good backup

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:33 AM
  #620
Noel92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Paul
Country: United States
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
so i want a stick with the backstrom curve, but a lie 5.. i noticed that the bauer sticks that offer this are the $200+ models, which i dont want to shell out, and the mid end sticks only have lie 6... are they any solutions to my problem? ive used my dolomite dragon draper stick for almost a year now, but i need a good backup
Would a two piece stick work?

Noel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 02:44 AM
  #621
ConoR187
Registered User
 
ConoR187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Quote:
Originally Posted by setowildfan View Post
Would a two piece stick work?
yeah but i have trouble finding replacement blades like that also

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 12:33 PM
  #622
Superstar Treatment
Registered User
 
Superstar Treatment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 732 Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
If you find a shaft you like then the kopitar/draper replacement blade is a 5 lie.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:15 PM
  #623
ConoR187
Registered User
 
ConoR187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
If you find a shaft you like then the kopitar/draper replacement blade is a 5 lie.
im aware of that pattern but i feel like the bauer blades hold up better... so no solution to my problem?

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:25 PM
  #624
Superstar Treatment
Registered User
 
Superstar Treatment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 732 Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I'd say your chances are slim in that price range, unless you find something on clearance. But the problem there's that the p92 is pretty popular.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 01:30 PM
  #625
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
Does anyone here use the Easton Getzlaff (E5)/Warrior Lidstrom blade? Is it me, or are these sticks ridiculously hard to find online and in stores?
Yeap! Anytime I see one on a rack it's like I found the Grail.

I have a Getzlaf blade in my two piece I use, but Easton doesn't make the shaft anymore. And all I can find are $90+ when I was spending $30. Shoulda stocked up when I had the chance.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.